Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm using toronto's streetcar lines (which i'm pretty sure are light rail) as a comparison point, since we have both streetcars and buses in mixed traffic and the streetcars are moving tens of thousands of people per day, right now.

there are ongoing discussions about how to improve the service, either by creating dedicated rows where possible, or simply restricting vehicle traffic. since the issue here in toronto basically comes down to our completely hosed funding model for public transit, there is no money on the table for building heavy rail on these corridors. there likely never will be, at least not in my lifetime. so to improve service without incurring additional infrastructure costs we're proposing, among other things, restricting vehicle use of streets on the busiest routes.

and frankly this makes sense. it sidesteps the additional costs and congestion issues caused by running buses in the same corridor, which as you've pointed out, won't run any faster than the streetcars do now

tl;dr: this isn't a fantasy scenario where you can choose an optimal solution because you're developing from scratch, this is based on a real world implementation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the capital expenditures for a heavy rail line will start to look very reasonable

our budgeting and planning process is so hosed that there is a half approved plan supported by a majority of council (e.g. the suburban wards) to build a one stop subway extension to nowhere, with an optimistic projected ridership of 7300 people per hour, at peak hours. i.e. what bus routes elsewhere in the city are carrying now

meanwhile the massively over capacity city core routes are getting almost nothing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(as long as you're cool with the horrible air pollution)

trolley buses my friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

trolley buses my friend

trolley buses are awesome, in that they are pollution-free buses without many of the disadvantages of light rail, but i don't think anyone's gonna do a new rollout in 2016

nimbys ain't gonna stand for the sight of the catenaries.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

i'm using toronto's streetcar lines (which i'm pretty sure are light rail) as a comparison point, since we have both streetcars and buses in mixed traffic and the streetcars are moving tens of thousands of people per day, right now.

toronto is one of five cities on the continent that retained its trolley system in any significant measure. (six, if you include boston, who managed to retain a single trolley line)

the question of light vs heavy rail on an existing trolley line is pretty rare as a policy matter

tl;dr: this isn't a fantasy scenario where you can choose an optimal solution because you're developing from scratch, this is based on a real world implementation

well the fantasy is a dedicated right of way

once you've got that squared away, all the choices are really good. a busway, a light rail line, an old fashioned heavy rail line (catenary OR third rail) all look really good depending on need.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 20, 2016

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
NYC Goons, be convinced Tuesday that the BQX isn't a giant waste of money.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Merkinman posted:

the bqx is the dumbest loving thing i've ever loving seen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well the fantasy is a dedicated right of way

well sure, but we've already got the light rail, the only thing standing in the way of a dedicated row are those pesky cars on the street.

it's a no-brainer really.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

trolley buses are awesome, in that they are pollution-free buses without many of the disadvantages of light rail, but i don't think anyone's gonna do a new rollout in 2016

nimbys ain't gonna stand for the sight of the catenaries.

the portions of the silver line that are dedicated ROW are trolley buses

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your dedicated busway is so popular you actually need to start moving a million plus riders a day on a single line, that's a good problem to have

the capital expenditures for a heavy rail line will start to look very reasonable

please inform the green line of this reasonability thank in advance

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Merkinman posted:

my fave part is where when they get called out on how they're planning to traverse the large inlet between Brooklyn and Queens the response has been *jazz hands*

it's okay the plan will die when eventually the mayor gets impeached in a fundraising scandal.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Grandmaster.flv posted:

radial and spoke

also people keep trying to get me to suck the BRT cock but lol I have yet to see an implementation that works as planned.

on paper great and I'm all for it but the silver line deployment in Boston is loving criminal

BRT is trash but people who actually just want more/better roads for cars love to stump for it because it inevitably ends up being watered down in a way that leads to better road infrastructure along its routes but the same lovely shared right of way bus service we all know and loathe. A garbage transit option with all of the disadvantages of normal bus service with added expenses more typical of real transit.

Shaggar posted:

street cars are the worst possible mode of transport. all the downsides of a bus and train combined

Nah you're thinking of BRT and standard buses. At least streetcars are comfortable. And hold more riders. And are predictable, if slow. Portland's streetcar got me to work reliably for years. The bus is a coin toss away from being an extra wasted half hour any time I use it at commute time, by comparison.

pointsofdata posted:

buses are actually great. if you run enough scheduling doesn't matter and you aim for a consistent headway. they are cheap and make the rest of your transit system more viable + plus can serve otherwise uneconomical areas.

Yeah you're right the mode of transit where a half dozen vehicles will get bunched together and pass by going one direction while nothing will come for an hour going the other way is fine and great. Buses are trash and should be supplanted by literally any other transit option as soon as is feasible along routes they serve.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the per-passenger costs are very similar, but a busway will have much lower maximum capacity than a "real" subway. that's ok, most of the time.

Per-passenger costs are lower in the short term but in the long run rail wins by a loooooooong shot according to every study I've ever read. Which makes it a much better choice in literally any situation where your options are dedicated busways or rail since you can assume it'll be around for decades to centuries once built.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

brt owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6ImWY4IBc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What is it that makes something "BRT" rather than just buses? Bus lanes? Live arrival times? Not being poo poo?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

minivanmegafun posted:

the roads were built for horses, streetcars, bicycles, and pedestrians. restrict it back to that population, problem solved.

there were fears in late 19th century london that the amount of horse poo poo produced by an ever increasing number of horses would cause disaster

imagine that the car is the 21st century equivalent of a horse poo poo, but instead of sitting there steaming it takes up a 1000x times the area and it moves around

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also it's probably less healthy .

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

pointsofdata posted:

What is it that makes something "BRT" rather than just buses? Bus lanes? Live arrival times? Not being poo poo?

dedicated right of way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grandmaster.flv posted:

dedicated right of way

so bus lanes. Which should be standard in any city either way

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and there's no comfort advantage to laying rail, because modern buses have rubber tires instead of freaking wagon wheels.

This is just plain wrong, a streetcar has a much smoother ride than a bus, hands down source: I take streetcars and buses every goddamn day of my life.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
plus you get drivers like I used to have on the 506 and now on the 501 who make funny announcements

as everyone is getting off at Yonge, "no, wait, please don't go, I can change, I promise!"

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
interesting fact: i can have a poo poo on a train. can i have a poo poo in a bus or a tram? i doubt it. not without extreme castigation from fellow users.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

please inform the green line of this reasonability thank in advance

the B line loving sucks rear end, however this would be improved by removing a few of the stops and all of the BU students that get in the way of the train

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they're allegedly removing some stops but they announced that a while ago and ive seen no action about it soooo

C line might be even worse than B imo, literally a million stops every seven feet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the downeaster would rule if they got rid of all the stops between Portland and boston

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

the green line would be best served by being completely redone. red line has more steady volume but green line has lots of high yield days

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

they're allegedly removing some stops but they announced that a while ago and ive seen no action about it soooo

C line might be even worse than B imo, literally a million stops every seven feet

nah the B line is unequivocally worse

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

plus you get drivers like I used to have on the 506 and now on the 501 who make funny announcements

as everyone is getting off at Yonge, "no, wait, please don't go, I can change, I promise!"

lol

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tatsujin posted:

on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

lol

the south is terrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

out of curiosity, how drunk do you have to be to get booked in the south?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

depends how non-white you are

or how much sass you give the officer

but lmao on places enforcing public intoxication laws if you aren't breaking something/harming someone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm assuming it involves walking naked down the center lane of a highway or something

(you know, if you're of the light skinned persuasion)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pool party, so I'm guessing just swim trunks and eight hours of day drinking

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cygni posted:

heres an old documentary about all the cool old transit systems in the bay area. gonna be fun having to spend billions to rebuild all this over my lifetime cause cars are bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOLGzSnNHI

cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

so bus lanes. Which should be standard in any city either way

no. a dedicated right of way. bus lanes are basically inexpensive trolleys. they have a dedicated place in the street, but they mix with traffic and suffer intersections and accidents.

in a brt context, a dedicated right of way would be a road that exists only for buses, with few/no crossings for cars.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

depends how non-white you are

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we built/are still building one out in the 'burbs, as a core east-west route across mississauga, they're running articulated nova buses on it, and it's pretty drat good as long as you're going between two points on the busway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

that depends on if you're driving and when the last time you had a haircut/shaved and if you're wearing a collared shirt

you can be missing like one of these but it'll cost you money and ofc this presupposes that you pass the paper bag test

also if your parents raised you right and you say all your sirs in a nonsarcastic way this is absolutely critical

but yea you meet these reqs and the south is basically a hosed up playground where you can yell at cops if you're clean cut enough

• Locked thread