Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to have to play a list without Gideon, Ally of Zendikar in the board for now since I can't spring for a set until next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
In this xmage draft I opened two Sphinx of the Steel Wind and have four different reanimation spells. :getin:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hopefully get another chance to draft ema in paper again, but one of the stores I draft at is out of product already. 3-0 with u/r tempo and 1 burning vengeance. P1P1 a wasteland, P2P1 a foil strix, had a mystical tutor and a chain lightning as my other value cards, and Arcanis and a young pyromancer as other bombs. Hated out a sulphuric vortex mid pack 2 in a dead pack.

Got another wasteland, a top, and an enlightened tutor in prize packs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bugsy posted:

Hopefully get another chance to draft ema in paper again, but one of the stores I draft at is out of product already. 3-0 with u/r tempo and 1 burning vengeance. P1P1 a wasteland, P2P1 a foil strix, had a mystical tutor and a chain lightning as my other value cards, and Arcanis and a young pyromancer as other bombs. Hated out a sulphuric vortex mid pack 2 in a dead pack.

Got another wasteland, a top, and an enlightened tutor in prize packs.

I don't suppose those Wastes are for trade?

Edit: Anyone else that opened EMA Wastes, I still need 3 to have a spare set. I've got shocks and lots of random stuff for trade.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 20, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Pascal explains why here.

I don't care if it's not the best version, Reflector Mage is still the most rad splash for humans, imo :colbert:

e: My list is actually pretty different from that, I built it to survive rotation by mainboarding x4 Hanweir Militia Captain, along with some Westvale Abbey's and x4 Avacyn, in addition to splashing for Reflector. I don't have any Boon's in mine either, just x4 Always Watching and x4 Declaration in Stone.

You need to have them in your sideboard at least. More people are going to start playing Rites decks again as W/G tokens becomes more popular, and flying is pretty much the safest and sometimes only way to beat them.

This meta is kind of like a rock (g/w tokens) paper (Rites) Scissors (b/w) control. There are obviously other decks, but these are the ones that really have shaped the meta.
I also hate the G/W tokens decks. It looks boring to play, and it sucks to play against.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
So, I want to try and play standard. I kind of also want to compete because I have an unhealthy obsession with winning. My collection at the moment is appallingly small, as I recently came back to the game (some might remember me asking things a few months ago). Should I just find a card shop and go watch FNM to get familiar with the current standard meta? I remember being told buying packs is stupid and I should just buy decks directly; is this still the case?

What's the next step up from winning st FNM?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

suicidesteve posted:

I don't suppose those Wastes are for trade?

Edit: Anyone else that opened EMA Wastes, I still need 3 to have a spare set. I've got shocks and lots of random stuff for trade.

Seeing as it was you, I was about to pass you a link to a local shop that cracks Russian boxes of new sets for singles and probably has a bunch of Wastes, but then I actually read what you were replying to/finally noticed the "EMA" and realized what you meant.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I also hate the G/W tokens decks. It looks boring to play, and it sucks to play against.

The thing about G/W tokens is that it actually is a fun deck to play. The deck has so many angles of attack and it allows you to shape your game plan accordingly.

Oh, are you running a bunch of spot removal?
Here, have a bunch of tokens.

Oh, are you running a bunch of sweepers?
Here, I'll grind you out with planeswalkers.

Oh are you clogging up the ground with efficient blockers?
I'll sacrifice my board to make an Ormendahl and a few Ornithopter tokens and take to the skies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

The thing about G/W tokens is that it actually is a fun deck to play. The deck has so many angles of attack and it allows you to shape your game plan accordingly.

Oh, are you running a bunch of spot removal?
Here, have a bunch of tokens.

Oh, are you running a bunch of sweepers?
Here, I'll grind you out with planeswalkers.

Oh are you clogging up the ground with efficient blockers?
I'll sacrifice my board to make an Ormendahl and a few Ornithopter tokens and take to the skies.

It's the best midrange deck in the format while being the best control deck in the format while being able to kill on T5 sometimes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who else qualified for the WMCQ but can't be motivated to go to Nebraska?

WOTC seriously? Nebraska?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
We're expecting Eldritch Moon spoilers today, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Who else qualified for the WMCQ but can't be motivated to go to Nebraska?

WOTC seriously? Nebraska?

I'm going to the Modern one in September...

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get my land right still. I'm probably freaking out about nothing, as its still playing fine, I just want to try to get it perfect.

2 Canopy Vista
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Flooded Strand
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Island
1 Lumbering Falls
3 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
2 Sunpetal Grove
3 Windswept Heath

33 G, 8 U, 25 W

Does this look about right?

I have a Knight of the Reliquary in here to help a touch.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Probably just Emrakul from the video.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Probably just the one card (Emrakul) via their YouTube channel.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Probably just the one card (Emrakul) via their YouTube channel.

Whats the over/under for modern playability?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Whats the over/under for modern playability?

It's gonna have to be insane to be better than the ROE Emrakul or Newlamogg.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Saffron Olive claims to have the spoiler, but I don't know where he got it.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boo if true. It's standard playable. Just not anywhere near the old one modern.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cool, a 5 mana 13/13.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
What's funny is how much less synergy this has with Nahiri than old Emrakul.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh, at first I read that as you gained control of a creature only which made it much much worse.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
loving lol on that set symbol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Protection from instants is interesting.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mcmagic posted:

Boo if true. It's standard playable. Just not anywhere near the old one modern.

It's on the wotc youtube.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ensures that it's going to survive most of the time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

It does make it a bit better with Nahiri than casting. But there's Hallowed Moonlight for the Nahiri Ultimate and plenty of Sorcery removal that deals with it no problem.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm really over Eldrazi, and will be upset if they ruin the flavor of Innistrad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

It does make it a bit better with Nahiri than casting. But there's Hallowed Moonlight for the Nahiri Ultimate and plenty of Sorcery removal that deals with it no problem.

I would still rather get a Dragonlord Atarka off Nahiri's Ult.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Until your opponent takes over your turn and uses your sorcery speed removal on your own guys or something.

I can almost feel the mindwrack demon speculators going ham at the moment.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

loving lol on that set symbol.

It's a promo card right? It's probably just the symbol for that card, not the entire Eldrich Moon set

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I wonder how disappointed wotc is that everyone figured out that emrakul is the villain months ago

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

uninverted posted:

What's funny is how much less synergy this has with Nahiri than old Emrakul.

Given that Nahiri + Emrakul is a Modern-level synergy, they're not exactly going to put a better one in Standard

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's a promo card right? It's probably just the symbol for that card, not the entire Eldrich Moon set

Its set # is 6/205 ,so I think that is the set symbol. I think Octopi are cool therefor I like it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Given that Nahiri + Emrakul is a Modern-level synergy, they're not exactly going to put a better one in Standard

Didn't wizards say they don't think about modern when creating standard cards, so if they break the format they just need to do some banning that come too late.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man what an awful and underwhelming card. They can't even just loving have it mindslaver, it gives your opp an extra turn. It's probably mediocre but playable in standard and unplayable everywhere else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, it's definitely worse than old emrakul if you're doing something silly with like tron or cloudpost or something

but honestly this guy seems reasonably castable off like eldrazi temples and stuff - instant, sorcery, land, creature, artifact and he's down into like Worldbreaker territory. And he'll usually come with a plague wind (via chump attacking) attached, plus some extra value depending on what your opponent actually has in hand. You can make them cast all their sorcery-speed removal on not-Emrakul targets, so that they'll have to topdeck well to actually get rid of him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TN0b8ik0B8

The narration was corny, but the reveal of Emrakul in the trailer was pretty neat and I'm sad I saw the card before watching the video. Looks like we're getting Emrakul-warped versions of various monsters. The way they did the flashes of things like the werewolf and the horse becoming Eldrazified leads me to believe that there will be DFCs where one side is the monster and one side is the Emrakul-warped version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

80s James Hetfield posted:

Given that Announcing Eldritch Moon did not include the set symbol, I would not be surprised if this was the actual set symbol.

• Locked thread