Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

natetimm posted:

Whats the best VC counter for poo poo like giants and Dragon Ogres?

Spirit leech snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Spirit leech aint all that hot against enormous sacks of hp like giants on ultra unit size settings, tbh. The few times I've come across them I've just kinda ignored em until the rest of the army is dead, then surrounded for the morale break. You could keep a trash unit or two around to occupy them, I guess. Giants kill surprisingly slowly. Maybe a Varghulf or Terrorgheist could deal some decent damage, but I haven't gotten that opportunity. Lords/heroes definitely aren't the greatest since they spend so much time knocked down.

The empire/dwarf solution of "melt it in 2 seconds with concentrated cheap crossbow bolt fire" is a lot easier.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gitro posted:

A unit of goblin spearmen spent 5-10 ingame minutes chasing down a fleeing orc warboss, steadily poking him to death. At one point he was running perpendicular to the map boundary. They got him in the end. You go little guys! :3:

Curiosity question if you happen to remember: how much XP did they get from that? I thought that was a pretty simple "how much damage has this card done" setup but after having a lot of fun with outrider cavalry harassing the hell out of AI heroes and infantry and the associated weirdness with chevrons afterward I'm no longer sure I have even half an idea of what's going on there.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would it be possible to make Sacking/Razing etc take up all your remaining Movement points?

Also Mazz, I tried to add ya on Steam. So if you see a random add request, t'was I.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 20, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vargs posted:

Spirit leech aint all that hot against enormous sacks of hp like giants on ultra unit size settings, tbh. The few times I've come across them I've just kinda ignored em until the rest of the army is dead, then surrounded for the morale break. You could keep a trash unit or two around to occupy them, I guess. Giants kill surprisingly slowly. Maybe a Varghulf or Terrorgheist could deal some decent damage, but I haven't gotten that opportunity. Lords/heroes definitely aren't the greatest since they spend so much time knocked down.

The empire/dwarf solution of "melt it in 2 seconds with concentrated cheap crossbow bolt fire" is a lot easier.

Yeah, the game really isn't balanced for unit sizes other than Large. I'm hoping the first patch will introduce some rebalancing and automatic scaling to spells, a lot of stuff from metal and fire is very underwhelming.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are these expansions going to be new maps entirely or is there a chance we might eventually get the whole Warhammer world in one campaign? Feels wrong not having Elves and Beastmen and Skaven and poo poo and it'd suck if they were stuck in their own campaigns.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Verranicus posted:

Are these expansions going to be new maps entirely or is there a chance we might eventually get the whole Warhammer world in one campaign? Feels wrong not having Elves and Beastmen and Skaven and poo poo and it'd suck if they were stuck in their own campaigns.

Some of them I'd have to imagine are gonna be new map bits centered elsewhere. If we get like Lustria (Lizardmen) and Naggaroth (Dark Elves) in this, they're either gonna be a huge ocean across from most of what we have now or they're gonna require a big rear end western trek through the Chaos Wastes. The High Elves home bit of Ulthuan is also in the middle of said huge body of water so that's another bit to think on.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I think I hate the Grudgebook. I love playing as dwarves cause their units and tactics really click for me (and I look forward to a rebalance so that quarrellers aren't the best unit in the game), but Jesus Christ the grudges can get out of control in a loving hurry. Was trying to wipe out the goddamn VC and their heroes were just swarming me. Every single one earned me another grudge until the goddamn book was full of them. I tried to bring in my own agents but they would just get buttfucked by Banshees (usually earning another grudge in the process). When I finally wiped those shithawks from the face of the earth like a full half of my grudges evaporated. All the rest are the same thing, just loving assassination missions cause a Varg sorcerer burned down a brewery (then immediately booking across the planet), or a Bretonnian maiden who assaulted a single unit of miners that one time.

Like the book is a good mechanic, but as grudges build up unhappiness and diplomatic penalties agent missions should be straight-up abolished.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

President Ark posted:

so basically you're playing a punching bag full of candy except the candy all turns into bees if you punch it too much

This sounds fun. Campaigns based on vengeance are the best campaigns.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

goodness posted:

Is there a description of the changes that the spell mod makes? I couldn't find it on the mod page but I am using mobile so that might be why.

It's a pretty comprehensively huge mod. The general gist is every spell is drastically more powerful, but has a dramatically longer cooldown(usually upwards of 25-30 seconds). The modder went with a general design philosophy of normal version of the spell = single target and potent, overcasted version of a spell = aoe and diluted; an example of this is Invocation of Nehek, which is an enormously powerful self heal on a single target when normal casted but when overcasted will apply a modest heal to almost your entire army. Some of the power spells in singleplayer are unchanged power-wise but have nerfs applied in other ways to make them less point and click easy to use, such as Spirit Leech being reduced to basically melee range.

Spells in the mod are enormously punchy, game-swinging things. An overcasted Burning Head will rip apart a significant chunk of an army if it scatters fortunately. Powerful debuffs like transmutation of lead will render the target unit nearly incapable of fighting for the duration. Buffs like Vanhel's Danse Macabre turn the target unit into turbo murderers for the duration. Magic is basically an incredible force multiplier that can swing a battle entirely on its own instead of a lame, forgettable tool you use to cast Net of Amantok or snipe enemy generals periodically.

In addition to the magic changes, he also massively buffs every legendary lord quest item to the skies(probably making some of them too strong, but it's fun and the enemy gets them too so whatever) and also buffs the everloving gently caress out of the unique Lord skills like Leader of Men on Franz or the generic Sigmar's/Chaos/Vampiric Ward skills.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really like the magic mod. Sure, some of the items and skills are probably broken but at least now it always feels worthwhile to grab your legendary lords stuff.

Triskelli posted:

So those crazy Russians have managed to datamine a roadmap to future DLCs and expansions. CA has already claimed this stuff is outdated but lots of interesting info regardless.

Things of note:

Expansion 1 is "The New World" with High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen.

Expansion 2 is "Gods of Chaos"

We see numbered DLC for all the remaining major factions (including Chaos Dwarfs!)

Plus dlc5 looks to be a large DLC pack that includes changes to Beastmen, Bretonnia, and adds Wood Elves.

Chaos Dwarfs gonna own.

Verranicus posted:

I think they'll pull an Empire Total War with different theatres you can portal to at certain spots. The plan from CA is that all factions will be playable in the grand campaign but we'll see.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which spell mod is the goodmod? And does it make even Metal ok?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695024040

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

It makes Metal legitimately good. Searing Doom will tear a huge hole into whatever unit it hits, Transmutation of Lead turns an incoming charge of heavy cavalry into a gentle nudge, and Final Transmutation can murder both single lords and small elite units in a hurry. With the mod, Balthasar Gelt is actually a pretty powerful LL even compared to Karl Franz, particularly with his unique Loremaster of Metal skill.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

It makes Metal legitimately good. Searing Doom will tear a huge hole into whatever unit it hits, Transmutation of Lead turns an incoming charge of heavy cavalry into a gentle nudge, and Final Transmutation can murder both single lords and small elite units in a hurry. With the mod, Balthasar Gelt is actually a pretty powerful LL even compared to Karl Franz, particularly with his unique Loremaster of Metal skill.

Yeah, mod Gelt is a force of nature. The very early game is still a little tough because magic has very long cooldowns in the mod and Gelt is still a nerd who can't fight for poo poo, but once you get a few levels and extra spells under your belt modded Balthasar becomes a human artillery brigade that is also a whirling dervish of godly buffs and debuffs. It also buffs his items so instead of being terrible crap they're actually really good. Gelt's campaign bonus also incidentally becomes a lot stronger since wizards are far more powerful in the mod, so recruiting better wizards is proportionately stronger.

The net effect is now Gelt is an actual choice compared to Franz instead of a trap.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The second tier LLs generally aren't too bad as a starting pick because you can get the faction leaders as well fairly quickly. If you start with Karl Franz though, Gelt is pretty disappointing when you finally unlock him. You really have to slowly build him up until he gets Final Transmutation.

This magic mod sounds fun but I'm worried about how ruinously painful it'd make fighting the AI, if they have these powers as well.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fangz posted:

The second tier LLs generally aren't too bad as a starting pick because you can get the faction leaders as well fairly quickly. If you start with Karl Franz though, Gelt is pretty disappointing when you finally unlock him. You really have to slowly build him up until he gets Final Transmutation.

This magic mod sounds fun but I'm worried about how ruinously painful it'd make fighting the AI, if they have these powers as well.

Gelt is an awful starting pick because he's just awful in general. Final Transmutation is basically the only spell in his list worth using in vanilla; before then I'd rather have a generic Empire Lord leading an army in almost every circumstance because the Empire Lord can actually fight well and isn't spending a third of his total skill points ever to grab a gimmick hero sniper spell.

As for the mod's effect on the AI, generally it makes enemy wizards into real obstacles as opposed to pathetic jokes. That goblin shaman spamming buff spells on the boyz is suddenly dangerous instead of a non-issue, and if AI Archaon starts ripping off Burning Heads it's actually dangerous. The player is generally a lot better about employing magic effectively than the AI, though, so assuming you're taking advantage of the mod's benefits you'll generally come out ahead.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Gelt is terrible but his start would be at least tolerable if his starting units weren't terrible too. Outriders versus Reiksguard is such a bad match-up that there's just no comparison.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Gelt is terrible but his start would be at least tolerable if his starting units weren't terrible too. Outriders versus Reiksguard is such a bad match-up that there's just no comparison.

Gelt's Mortar is the real early game prize of his lineup, since it can be used to rush down Marienburg early and it can also be used to force the tactical AI to take the offensive instead of you being forced to charge them. I think the Reiksguard are meant to map to the Greatswords(high tier armored fighting unit that requires multiple building dependencies), but the Reiksguard can singlehandedly break armies with effective use while Greatswords are a mildly more effective unit of swordsmen in the early game.

The Reiksguard are nearly on par with Mannfred's Varghulf in early game murder power.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been determined to finish my current greenskin campaign but it has become a real slog (currently at turn ~160 ish). I kill 3-4 chaos stacks (not Varg or Skaeling, but Chaos stacks led by Arch, Kholek, Sigvald, and some uber chaos sorceror), and every time about 10 turns afterwards they return with about 6 agents and make a bee-line for my territory through black fire pass (sacking the same VC cities en route which the dumbass VC keep resettling and never defending). Even though I have an alliance with the VC they seem content to just sit in their 4 territories with 3-4 armies and never actually do anything, and chaos never goes west to give the empire and human factions any trouble. I'm trying to eliminate the empire, but every time I extend myself and sack Altdorf (or Nuln, or whatever) I end up with 3-4 chaos doom stacks charging down through VC territory into my lands, pretty much ignoring everything but the 2-3 settlements that happen to be directly in their path. It doesn't help that the Empire has somehow moved itself to the west side of the map. Tilea is basically everywhere the Empire should be, and I see more Bretonnian stacks than I do Empire stacks.

The Empire may not realize it, but the Warriors of Chaos really are the best allies they could ever have. On one hand I don't really want to give up (I am by far the strongest faction) but on the other it has become a real slog and I'm itching to start a new campaign as Empire or VC. Also the Warrior of Chaos 'charge at the greenskin faction no matter what' strategy is getting old. For some reason I thought they would go away after a while, but even though I have gotten the 'chaos has been defeated' message or whatever they keep coming back in no time at all (just not with Sarth).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 20, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here, but I'd see the starting unit comparison as:

Greatswords > Halberds in basically all starting battles, and probably for most of the game
Outriders > Handgunners since the former is essentially the latter but faster and can chase down enemies.
Mortars vs Reiksguard depends on the situation. Reiksguard is much better in field battles, but fairly useless in siege battles, whereas Mortars are great for the fast siege and does damage there also.

Isn't the Reiksguard Fort just a tier 3 building? EDIT: Oh I guess you need a blacksmith as well.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 20, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Curiosity question if you happen to remember: how much XP did they get from that? I thought that was a pretty simple "how much damage has this card done" setup but after having a lot of fun with outrider cavalry harassing the hell out of AI heroes and infantry and the associated weirdness with chevrons afterward I'm no longer sure I have even half an idea of what's going on there.

A turn or two later they're at about 2/3rds xp, no chevrons. The warboss probably had around half or less of his health when he routed.

What kind of weirdness? As units are replenished their xp drops, so if you're microing your outriders well they could shoot up compared to infantry units who are losing a quarter or more of their unit in battle, especially if they're active in the pursuit phase. It might also have to do with the total unit size? I don't really know how it works.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Lone Badger posted:

Metal owns bones. Plague of Rust single target is an - 80 Armour malus, for 15 seconds. Whatever you tagged with it is massively hosed. The overcast version is a thirty second - 30 Armour malus in a huge AoE.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am running around with an army that is only consists of doom diver catapults, when i autocomplete the battles i win easily every time, but when i play manually i either barely win against easy opponents or lose.
Can anyone guess as to what the computer is doing right that i am not?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

I am running around with an army that is only consists of doom diver catapults, when i autocomplete the battles i win easily every time, but when i play manually i either barely win against easy opponents or lose.
Can anyone guess as to what the computer is doing right that i am not?

Nothing. Autoresolve just values some units above others arbitrarily, letting you autoresolve battles you have no business winning or losing battles you could have handily won manually.

Your Gobbo Kamikaze Airforce sounds awesome though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Very strange things happen in Autoresolve sometimes. Once I force marched a second army to reinforce an existing one that was besieging a fort. And the autoresolve bar actually became *more unfavourable*. It was really strange. When I toggled Lightning Strike to turn the second army off, the battle turned favourable again.

I really don't understand the maths that is happening.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what magic items should I put on my LL/lords?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Koorisch posted:

So what magic items should I put on my LL/lords?

Assuming you're talking about guys you're using in combat, ward save items and physical resistance items are top priority because they're percentage damage reduction to functionally everything and stack additively, which hugely ramps up the lord's durability(Kholek with 70%+ ward save is a laugh riot). Items that give regeneration(seed of rebirth off the top of my head) are also top priority. Most combat lords drastically favor weapons that add % damage over weapons that add flat damage because combat lords have huge basic weapon damage numbers across the board.

Magic lords want stuff that increases the reserve magic pool because the size of the reserve magic pool determines how fast you gain usable magic(bigger reserve = you gain usable power faster). They also like potions of healing for the reason that miscasting does a huge amount of damage to you but is completely controllable, so you can overcast until you eat a big miscast and then use the potion to shrug it off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So as VC are you meant to take it slow and insidiously infect your neighbors with corruption before taking them over? I took over Stirland before corrupting it and combating the public order problems there was a huge 10+ turn ordeal.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Could this finally be a patch? https://steamdb.info/app/364360/history/

Deified Data posted:

So as VC are you meant to take it slow and insidiously infect your neighbors with corruption before taking them over?

That's how I did it, but a certain poster took issue with me playing the game in a suboptimal way.
Apparently you're supposed to let them rebel each turn and dedicate a stack towards pushing down the rebellion in each settlement until your gold numbers get really high, and then kill yourself.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

So as VC are you meant to take it slow and insidiously infect your neighbors with corruption before taking them over? I took over Stirland before corrupting it and combating the public order problems there was a huge 10+ turn ordeal.

Yeah, get corruption spreading tech, buildings, and abilities if you're planning on going wide instead of tall.

Edit: Also get a bunch of agents and stick them in the province you're planning on conquering for 5-10 turns beforehand. You want corruption at 50% before you conquer it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 20, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a particular VC hero that's best at spreading corruption?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Deified Data posted:

Spread beforehand with buildings and agents, then slam growth with agents and keep a stack of public order zombies on hand.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

They all spread it at the same rate, but they can pick up or spawn with a bonus trait and they all have a spread corruption ability you can put some skill points into.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

My money is on Tuesday. There were fiddling with DLC 2 and 3 files last week and like to release everything together and Tuesday is the day all things are released so it's a safe bet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Wight kings are best because they give a public order debuff as well. (A buff when it's your own province)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should I throw my two Dwarf allies under the bus to avoid war with the Greenskins that'll probably happen anyway? Is it even possible to appease the Greenskins long-term as VC? They're the #1 faction at the moment.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
As a side note, what the heck is DLC 2 (The one that might be coming soon.) supposed to be? That russian blog translates it to krovushki, which I have no idea how to parse.

Edit: Wait...Is that...Kislev? :aaaaa:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 20, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Archonex posted:

As a side note, what the heck is DLC 2 (The one that might be coming soon.) supposed to be? That russian blog translates it to krovushki, which I have no idea how to parse.

Edit: Wait...Is that...Kislev? :aaaaa:

DLC 2 is probably one of the smaller ones they've already told us about. Special units, new legendary lord, different spells, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If there is a Kislev DLC then it should be a mini campaign where it's End Times from turn 1 and your only objective is to survive as long as possible against larger and larger waves of Chaos.

• Locked thread