Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Hogge Wild posted:

Always interesting to read about bowmaking. Are you going for a different pull in those other bows? Why is it important to save weight?

The new ones are stronger, around 70#, although the smaller one could be 50-60#. Additional (non-performing) weight is always bad, it makes the bow slower. Overbuilt tips are bad and everywhere, people imitate the ones from pics of originals, which were for bows 3 times as strong. Few people handled originals, everything there is tiny and slim. Naturally there are limitations, tips of ottoman bows are just 10-12mm wide for 120# bows, and you can't cut that in half for a bow half the weight, it would be brutally unstable and shed the string. Original arrows too are very slim, like the practice and sport ones that I own now:

The heads of the thick ones are just 6mm wide.

I got to see an original scythian, hun and yuan dynasty bow up close when I picked up my stuff from the auction. That's a once in a lifetime.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

while we're doing Kraft Korner, I just finished a small hand axe based on 12th-13th century examples of woodcutting axes from Novgorod. It's pretty handy, a good alternative to a knife for a lot of things. Wrought iron and unknown HC steel.

What's the maker's mark?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why was grain such a preeminent part of Olde Tyme diet rather than veggies?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Baron Porkface posted:

Once you harvest them they rot. You can store grain.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What about Mexico, which doesn't have winters mostly so you don't need to store stuff? They don't have extreme monsoons/not-monsoons either.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Drying or pickling.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JaucheCharly posted:

What's the maker's mark?

Spearhead. Put too much force when I was stamping it so it looks wonky unless you are paying close attention.

The handle is hard maple, which is admittedly ahistorical, finished with beeswax & lard.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
make me a knife

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
make me a mighty blade, for dragon slaying

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

make me a knife

No.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

make me a mighty blade, for dragon slaying

Ok

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baron Porkface posted:

Grain can be stored for years. Though I do think you're underestimating the amount of vegetables they ate. Depending on the region some things kept forever

This is one reason that dirt-floored cellars exist, actually; if you harvest a turnip and then bury it in your basement it will keep for like four years or something. Like was said picking was also a thing, as was brining. This is where you get stuff like sauerkraut. That stuff keeps forever so if you have access to jars, salt water, and cabbage you can do some really long-term food storage.

Grain was a huge deal though because it's good for calories and you can grow poo poo loads of wheat on fertile land once you figure out crop rotation, which vegetables, beans, and whatever were part of. The other reason was because you could gather all sorts of things but gathering grain wasn't easy. Grain is also what makes booze and that is very, very important.

Humans can eat practically anything and are pretty adaptable when it comes to our diets. However, only pretty specific things can turn into booze.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Humans can eat practically anything and are pretty adaptable when it comes to our diets. However, only pretty specific things can turn into booze.

Throughout history mankind has shown great ingenuity when it comes to making booze. And we have managed to make booze of anything from honey to potatoes. Even milk can be turned into an alcoholic beverage.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Here's the axes mine was based off of, sort of a mix of types 6 & 9. I haven't figured out how to do the really tall, square ears yet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Grain was a huge deal though because it's good for calories and you can grow poo poo loads of wheat on fertile land once you figure out crop rotation, which vegetables, beans, and whatever were part of. The other reason was because you could gather all sorts of things but gathering grain wasn't easy. Grain is also what makes booze and that is very, very important.

Yeah I was gonna say. When people are struggling to meet their caloric requirements, instead of to avoid exceeding them, you get a pretty different idea of what's healthy.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are there any good public domain history books about or covering the crusades? Either all of them or one in particular.

Lektor
May 1, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Here's the axes mine was based off of, sort of a mix of types 6 & 9. I haven't figured out how to do the really tall, square ears yet

Just curious, do you know what the little "spikes" on the bottom of blades 8,9 and maybe 3 are for?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Lektor posted:

Just curious, do you know what the little "spikes" on the bottom of blades 8,9 and maybe 3 are for?

Not sure. My best guess is they were somewhere you could put a lever get your axe out of a log if it was stuck, but that's only a guess.

Apocron posted:

Are there any good public domain history books about or covering the crusades? Either all of them or one in particular.

Lol no. Use a library.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I may be conusing axes but weren't the spikes on the bottom called beards and were for wrenching the shield pit of your opponents hand?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Look at the pictures more closely.

They're talking about weird little spike things coming off of the beard.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Can opener :eng101:

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

Hazzard posted:

I may be conusing axes but weren't the spikes on the bottom called beards and were for wrenching the shield pit of your opponents hand?

I can't speak for military use, but the beard is there to give the axe head more edge length without increasing the weight too much. Although mass is nice for some tasks, like log splitting, it is nicer to have a slightly lighter axe with more edge for hewing and whatnot as you don't get fatigued as quickly and want to control your swing better. I also find them convenient when doing carving as you can choke up more to behind the edge, giving you more control.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

They seem too small for this, but are they there to help prevent the axe from getting lodged too deeply in something (someone) and getting stuck?

Another thought is could it be to facilitate hanging the axe off a dowel or something for storage? It seems to make a nicer curve with the rest of the underside of the axe head, maybe it helps keep it from falling off? At least on 8 and 9 they complete that "circle."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ritual purpose

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The ritual of axing a question.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Hazzard posted:

Axel Ferguson posted:

I can't speak for military use, but the beard is there to give the axe head more edge length without increasing the weight too much. Although mass is nice for some tasks, like log splitting, it is nicer to have a slightly lighter axe with more edge for hewing and whatnot as you don't get fatigued as quickly and want to control your swing better. I also find them convenient when doing carving as you can choke up more to behind the edge, giving you more control.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They seem too small for this, but are they there to help prevent the axe from getting lodged too deeply in something (someone) and getting stuck?

Another thought is could it be to facilitate hanging the axe off a dowel or something for storage? It seems to make a nicer curve with the rest of the underside of the axe head, maybe it helps keep it from falling off? At least on 8 and 9 they complete that "circle."

Late to the party, I know, but I think there is probably some truth to all of this - from what I have seen of axe-heads, there is a fair amount of variety in the beards. Some pollaxes have large enough spaces behind the beard to be good for hooking (probably arms and legs rather than shields), other axes are more curved with less space behind the beard, meaning you would struggle to hook an arm or leg behind it. Some axes have large enough blades that are probably unlikely to get stuck, other smaller axes might have sufficiently small blades that without the beard it would be pretty pick-like, and so on.

Basically I would imagine that the shape of the individual beard would influence which purpose was more important.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Only indirectly related:

Lots of museums with priceless historical artifacts have a rule about no flash photography, ostensibly to protect the artifacts from overly harsh light. Are there any recorded examples of flash photography destroying something?

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

LordSaturn posted:

Only indirectly related:

Lots of museums with priceless historical artifacts have a rule about no flash photography, ostensibly to protect the artifacts from overly harsh light. Are there any recorded examples of flash photography destroying something?

I don't know about flash photography specifically, but when I used to guide at Speke Hall I know one of the beds (well, blankets) had begun to fray just due to light damage.

Some more on light damage in general: https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/2.-the-environment/2.4-protection-from-light-damage

Obviously a single flash photograph is not going to cause significant damage on its own, but if it keeps happening with lots of visitors routinely taking pictures, then the repeated flash will accelerate the light damage over time. Essentially the damage caused by flash photography is pretty difficult (read: impossible as far as I know) to distinguish from other sources of light damage and the fading, weathering or discolouration related to it. It just ages sooner. It might take years of repeated photography for there to be visible damage, but museum conservation deals with items that are decades or centuries old. In context, 10 years is a very short time for the wear caused by light to take effect.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LordSaturn posted:

Only indirectly related:

Flash photographs are very, very bright; generally speaking museums actually have special lights that degrade stuff more slowly/not at all that they shine on things.

You might think "well what is just one flash photograph?" but when you have popular artifacts being photographed by thousands or millions of people that poo poo adds up. Somebody once told me that a single flash photo is the same as leaving a think in the sun for a month. I think that might be a bit of an overstatement but it does illustrate it. It's like that old quote; "no drop of rain believes itself responsible for the flood."

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LordSaturn posted:

Only indirectly related:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightfastness

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
When I'm at a fencing class, everyone always asks me why my sword is so short--some of the other fencers have swords that come up to their goddamned armpits. When I'm at a reenactment, everyone always tells me it's too long--most of my friends carry things like this:
https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/rapiers-sabres/17th-century-hanger-with-antler-greenwich-london.html/
You can see blades like that here:

:saddowns:

(edit: both pictures Hans Ulrich Franck. If the engraving's about war crimes but it's from far away, it's Callot. If it's about war crimes and the focus is on one or two figures it's Franck.)

Edit 2: I was putting my sword on on the way out of a museum once (a bunch of us were taking a tour but they made us check our weapons at the door so there was this huge pile of them on a table near the entrance) and the curator I was talking to said "Das ist genau so gross wie du!" :haw: and I was like Yes, I'm short. Thanks, I had no idea.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 20, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this the place to ask about depictions of combat on Game of Thrones?
Either generally or the large battle last.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

When I'm at a fencing class, everyone always asks me why my sword is so short--some of the other fencers have swords that come up to their goddamned armpits. When I'm at a reenactment, everyone always tells me it's too long--most of my friends carry things like this:
https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/rapiers-sabres/17th-century-hanger-with-antler-greenwich-london.html/
You can see blades like that here:

:saddowns:

So neither of your friends are really correct. Your sword is designed to be a rapier that you also bash people with, so it can't be as long and thin as those clown rapier of the late 17th c but it can't be something that is definitely not a rapier (the cuirassier's side-sword or the hanger.)

Frosted Flake posted:

Is this the place to ask about depictions of combat on Game of Thrones?
Either generally or the large battle last.

Depending on the question it may already have been asked in the Military History thread but you can ask it here too. There's a degree of overlap.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

So neither of your friends are really correct. Your sword is designed to be a rapier that you also bash people with, so it can't be as long and thin as those clown rapier of the late 17th c but it can't be something that is definitely not a rapier (the cuirassier's side-sword or the hanger.)
how much bashing can you do with a 2.4 lb sword, that's not a whole lot of sword

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Depending on the question it may already have been asked in the Military History thread but you can ask it here too. There's a degree of overlap.

The milhist thread is ever the same boring talk about ships and tanks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JaucheCharly posted:

The milhist thread is ever the same boring talk about ships and tanks.

Because as ever people ask questions about ships and tanks.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
We do get questions and answers about other things, but not very often. I try to be helpful and forever feel like I'm making it worse.

While I'm here, we're cavalry lances, like the ones we think of European cavalry using designed different to a footman's spear or pike? Or is it just wood of a different length?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so do you think i can hit a dude in the head with the pommel of my sword, even though it doesn't weigh a whole lot? that is not tankchat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

We do get questions and answers about other things, but not very often. I try to be helpful and forever feel like I'm making it worse.

While I'm here, we're cavalry lances, like the ones we think of European cavalry using designed different to a footman's spear or pike? Or is it just wood of a different length?
they're fat and they've got a narrow bit that you grip

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

so do you think i can hit a dude in the head with the pommel of my sword, even though it doesn't weigh a whole lot? that is not tankchat

Probably, the basket and handle on my sword is plastic and I winded someone by "pommeling" them. They grappled first.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Probably, the basket and handle on my sword is plastic
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Thanks for all the answers! I don't take flash photographs in museums when asked not to because I'm a good person (:shobon:) but I was hoping for a story about something that disintegrated sheerly from exposure to light.

besides Turkey's claims about the genocide that is

• Locked thread