Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Bruselakul is going to be the real chase mythic of this set. That art is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I'm just sad it's the usual BIG THING instead of some cool flip card with the moon on one side. Guess Ormendahl took that spot.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Elyv posted:

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

Glad someone at WOTC likes FF9
Oh and What the flying gently caress that is terrifying :stare:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The biggest disappointment here is that since EMN was supposed to be the third set in BFZ block pre two block paradigm, it's going to be as lovely and underwhelming as all of BFZ block. The cost of the 2 block paradigm was the ruination of the second innistrad block.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jabor posted:

what? shuffling back in would make self-mill completely worthless, since you'd randomly undo all your progress

are you one of those people who buy into the mill fallacy?

I guess that's true. You're going to mill Emrakrap as often as any other card. I'm not a standard player, but I guess you do have the madness enablers and whatnot to give it a shot.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

ugh they're going to seal emrakul in the moon since it's made of silver and they made a big obvious point of nahiri noticing that the helvault was made of the same stuff as the moon

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We're in a standard where people play Ulamog. In more ways than one. I think they can adapt to a card that will cost +/- 1 and screws with the opponent's ability to have a turn to respond to it.

I don't doubt people will try to cast this is Standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

The biggest disappointment here is that since EMN was supposed to be the third set in BFZ block pre two block paradigm, it's going to be as lovely and underwhelming as all of BFZ block. The cost of the 2 block paradigm was the ruination of the second innistrad block.

Rofl you think it is possible for wizards to ruin anything harder than they ruined the first Innistrad block.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Writing off a set one card in because of some poo poo you made up :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

quote:

Brian Braun-Duin ‏@BraunDuinIt 1m1 minute ago
I fear that Emrakul is the new Ugin. Costs 8 mana, wins the game, there's no way for most decks to play around it. Hope it is more fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But Ugin was cool and not a bad thing in standard?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Also reminder that the unquestioned best deck last standard didn't play Ugin.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

But Ugin was cool and not a bad thing in standard?

Agreed.

I love cards that have synergy with graveyard strategies myself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If I can't ghostly flicker two mist ravens in the declare blockers step to foil my opponent's two druids' familiars then I'm pretty sure EDM is not ruining an Innistrad block any worse than AVR ruined its Innistrad block.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the new Emrakul. The old one had the text "you win the game" so they couldn't really keep it on the impact level without just making the same card again (maybe at a different mana cost), so logically you make it lower impact but cheaper. The effect is very unique and it feels flavorful (you get to go into their brain and gently caress with the removal that would otherwise be able to kill Emrakul).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Make it a 13/13 for 13, remove the cost reduction and the extra turn part and this card would have been both cool and good.

Like they ruined their own flavor, it's a 13/13 for 13 that you never pay 13 for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the new Emrakul. The old one had the text "you win the game" so they couldn't really keep it on the impact level without just making the same card again (maybe at a different mana cost), so logically you make it lower impact but cheaper. The effect is very unique and it feels flavorful (you get to go into their brain and gently caress with the removal that would otherwise be able to kill Emrakul).

Its almost as if the card that drives people mad and takes over their minds in the story does the same thing on paper in a powerful way.

Mindslaver is fun, this card is fun. Day 1 overreactions are the best. If they don't put in some decent graveyard hate again I am going to :lol:.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It's really disappointing that you can't target yourself with the mindslaver clause.

Edit: aside from that I really like the casting cost design. The more "delirious" you are the easier it is to call Emrakul up.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I really like all the Eldrazi-fied things we've seen so far, and I'm kinda hyped for EDM to just be an all-out war between what's left of the light on Innistrad (So glad Sigarda didn't go nuts) and the all consuming madness of Emrakul's corruption.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Barry Shitpeas posted:

My predictions for Emrakul:
1) WUBRG devoid
2) mindslaver on cast
3) 13/13 or 13 CMC

:chanpop:

EMA draft is really fun guys. I managed to get 2 young pyro and 1 burning vengeance, but only 1 retrace card but got a bunch of flashback cards though!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
So are we going to get the WB angel in this set? Some lore thing in the last block said that Sigarda had 3 sisters at one point before Avacyn banished her so there was a WU, WB, WR, and WG angel.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I would have preferred the text "target player takes an extra turn after this one. You control that player during that turn."

Anyways instant/sorcery/creature/land/enchantment shouldn't be hard for a RG ramp deck and that's a 9 mana win the game. This card is good.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Moral of the magic story: If someone makes you mad dont imprison them kill them because otherwise theyre gonan gently caress eveyrthing up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

legoman727 posted:

I really like all the Eldrazi-fied things we've seen so far, and I'm kinda hyped for EDM to just be an all-out war between what's left of the light on Innistrad (So glad Sigarda didn't go nuts) and the all consuming madness of Emrakul's corruption.

i am not looking forward to whatever half-assed way they kill emrakul is

i will lol if it's just burn her really really bad again

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mindslaver effects suck, full stop

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

My predictions for Emrakul:
1) WUBRG devoid
2) mindslaver on cast
3) 13/13 or 13 CMC

Barry Shitpeas got the scoops

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait duh the moon is a helavault, okay thats not so half-assed since they have been setting it up since the original block

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyways instant/sorcery/creature/land/enchantment shouldn't be hard for a RG ramp deck

So this is demonstrably not the case. You will nearly never cast this card for 8, rarely for 9, mostly for 10/11, and unluckily above that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they're going to recreate the ending of the pick of destiny wherein koth and venser come together to defeat emrakul in a rock battle, emrakul is dave grohl

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rabidsquid posted:

they're going to recreate the ending of the pick of destiny wherein koth and venser come together to defeat emrakul in a rock battle, emrakul is dave grohl

Chandra is going to use fire to push emrakul into the moon actually

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i am not looking forward to whatever half-assed way they kill emrakul is

i will lol if it's just burn her really really bad again

Liliana sacs a zombie and casts Bone Splinters

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the reason it's less powerful than old emrakul is that it's reasonably possible to cast this thing in a real game of magic

I'm glad they didn't try to go EVEN BIGGER and make it a 16-mana 16/16 with protection from judge calls or something.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

HMM, I was hoping it would Jace's evil twin living in a moon sanctum or maybe a compleated Baron Sengir. Instead we got a completely logical and sensible pay-off to a story that's been building for months. Disappointing!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Liliana sacs a zombie and casts Bone Splinters
In her last moments Emrakul was heard to say "Topdecking fag"

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Think complaining about the extra turn is a bit silly since the Mindslaver effect will let Emrakul strip your hand of anything useful, use all of your removal/burn on yourself and run your best creature left into a 13/13

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If the new Emrakul had been bigger and badder than the original half the thread would be calling it lazy uninspired timmy fodder.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In her last moments Emrakul was heard to say "Topdecking fag"

if i wasnt tremendously lazy i would photoshop the ending scene of Lost in Translation to Emrakul and Nahiri

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

if i wasnt tremendously lazy i would photoshop the ending scene of Lost in Translation to Emrakul and Nahiri

the part where they kiss?

personally i like nahiri/tamiyo but you be you

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Having seen the trailer I now want a card with the creature type Eldrazi Horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Next week actual spoiler season?

• Locked thread