Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

goatface posted:

Which dog is the boom dog?

2235 I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Per the battle with the Taurians, Icepick is fine unless all the arm/s dedicated to holding him in any round are shot off.
So if the Grasshopper fires from no arms, he is actually very secure.

The Grasshopper is not holding the Chameleon's cockpit, since it's a type that can't be detached. He's a bit more vulnerable this time.

RA Rx posted:

If he can hand off Icepick

He can't.

quote:

Hardened armor really is great. I wonder what a hardened Screamer with a Gauss rifle replacing the Republic ERPPC would look like.

Impossible is what it'd look like. Even the 12 ton Clan Gauss would weigh more than the Screamer's current 10-ton armament and that's without any ammunition, and maximum-efficient coverage of hardened armor would still be more than double the Screamer's current armor weight.

A Ferro Lamellor Screamer is a possibility, but you'd either be trading close-in punch or overall armor coverage for extra cockpit protection--and even then Ferro Lamellor only reduces a 15 damage hit to a 12 damage hit which is still enough to kill the pilot instantly. You'd still cut down on the risk from 10 damage hits, but I don't feel the tradeoff is worthwhile.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PTN, did the Piranha 2 make its piloting check to run with a busted gyro this turn?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

PTN, did the Piranha 2 make its piloting check to run with a busted gyro this turn?

random.org/dice says it rolled a 9, so yes.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Someone go back through all the updates and count how many total virtual dice have been thrown over the last 5+ years.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think PTN uses physical dice most of the time. They contain the thirst and hate better that way.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
They've also been tossed around so much they may have developed some... bias. ;)

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
This is all I wish the new BT game will be. Keep being amazing Poptarts and GoonCompany, and sign me up please!

It's time I did after all these years.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
With all this jumping around, it'd be a shame to die on the last turn to a cockpit hit.

I'm thinking of a jump west towards the woods, but I'm mindful that PTN had an infantry unit lurking up there earlier. I'd hate to get swarmed at the last second.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you want safety for a turn, you could jump to around 3339 and take cover behind the building.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

El Spamo posted:

They've also been tossed around so much they may have developed some... bias. ;)

A while ago someone counted up all the rolls and found them right in the middle of the probability curve, I believe

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ardlen posted:

If you want safety for a turn, you could jump to around 3339 and take cover behind the building.

I still want to have shots on anything making a run for the exit zones. If someone goes down next turn, I'll have to go and pull them out, and that means potentially keeping the exits clear for another turn. Plus there's always the risk I might go down.

Hopefully in that situation some of Goonlance would stay behind (and it would be mighty tempting to go for the glory and hold out for the bonus), but we'd have to weigh up the risks versus an immediate departure.

EDIT: 3140 is tempting though. And I could go behind the buildings to get a higher move mod.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I still want to have shots on anything making a run for the exit zones. If someone goes down next turn, I'll have to go and pull them out, and that means potentially keeping the exits clear for another turn.

Minimal risk of that - if we're flooding the exit zone as much as people are talking, we're only going to have you and 1-2 others not in there. And if someone goes down in the extraction zone, someone who's already in there can move to rescue just as easily. Keep yourself alive. I say head north to the gully - 3224 will get you 10 hexes from the exit zone, keep you far out of distance of any counter-fire and have a guaranteed safe extract next turn. Trees and buildings can be hiding infantry.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

Copperhead Gamma (Player)
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Piranha 2 (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 heavy rain = 10): rolled 8, miss!
PTN, shouldn't this be 0 range, since it is 6 hexes away?

If it were to hit, any location kills the Piranha.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rorahusky posted:

The Blood Kite has been reduced to a single ER Large Laser, plus the pilot is unconscious and suffering from /five/ Pilot Hits (four from explosions, one from falling down after he fell unconscious). I think it's pretty safe to assume that even if the guy wakes up in time to do anything about the Demon Hawk's, he'll probably stumble off to the nearest bar instead to drink away the massive, all-consuming headache he has and cry big Clanner tears into his drink at having been schooled by something that Beeps and Boops.

Probably right next to the /other/ Clanner who nearly killed himself last mission after getting his honor pissed all over by Robo-Scooby/

So yeah, he's down for the count, forgot about the pilot hits and unconsciousness. Welp, at least he'll be in good company with the dude form last mission! Score another one for the good doggies!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I have a spare hand and i think I should be in range of the whole exit zone so can be on last round pickup, but if I miss the pickup roll I might just have to leave, given how much gun is coming in.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A giant clan assault getting clowned on by a robot Jenner really sums up the mood of the dice so far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I posted:

A giant clan assault getting clowned on by a robot Jenner really sums up the mood of the dice so far.

A robot Jenner quad even.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I feel like it's been gone over but why are quad mechs explicitly worse than bi-pedal ones? You would think the added stability to a weapons platform would increase accuracy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Random Number posted:

I feel like it's been gone over but why are quad mechs explicitly worse than bi-pedal ones? You would think the added stability to a weapons platform would increase accuracy.

They can't torso-twist.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Random Number posted:

They really aren't but most of the benefits are a tad esoteric. You can slap a heavy gauss on them and not give a poo poo about the piloting roll for firing it on the move and in place of arm firing arcs they can sidestep. The main issue is that they lose a dozen crit spaces by having legs instead of arms. And they can't torso twist.

Their ability to more or less ignore piloting rolls would make them great for a pilot like Duncan.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 21, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Psion posted:

A while ago someone counted up all the rolls and found them right in the middle of the probability curve, I believe

That was me. I don't have the code available on this machine or I'd go through and do it again to widen the sample size but that computer is out of commission for the moment.

Holy crap this is from 2014. It's almost two years old.

Olothreutes posted:

So because I am totally insane, and also would rather avoid doing the work I should be doing right now, I wrote a program to scrape every update PTN has made since the start of the thread for combat rolls*. For those interested, here are the results.

PTN has rolled 8,284 2d6 in service of our vicarious bloodlust. This doesn't count anything offscreen like crit table or cluster rolls. It does include things like piloting checks and whatnot, basically if it appeared in an update I have it. It is safe to assume the actual number is well north of 12,000.

code:
Value   Number   Percent   Expected percent
2:      206      2.49%     2.78%
3:      420      5.07%     5.56%
4:      644      7.77%     8.33%
5:      851      10.27%    11.11%
6:      1141     13.77%    13.89%
7:      1444     17.43%    16.67%
8:      1123     13.56%    13.89%
9:      992      11.97%    11.11%
10:     696      8.40%     8.33%
11:     505      6.10%     5.56%
12:     262      3.16%     2.78%
What can we determine from this? I have no idea. It seems like the dice roll ever so slightly higher than expected, 43.19% of rolls are above 7 while 39.38% are below 7. I'm not really interested in doing the math to figure out if this is meaningful in a statistical sense. But there you have it.

*There was a moment where combat was being displayed as images instead of text so I couldn't scrape that data, and it isn't present. If you want to go count it, be my guest.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 21, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

They really aren't but most of the benefits are a tad esoteric. You can slap a heavy gauss on them and not give a poo poo about the piloting roll for firing it on the move and in place of arm firing arcs they can sidestep. The main issue is that they lose a dozen crit spaces by having legs instead of arms. And they can't torso twist.

They also have twice as many leg actuators to screw up their movement rates.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, canon assault quads really love their IJJs.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

dis astranagant posted:

Their ability to more or less ignore piloting rolls would make them great for a pilot like Duncan.

So give Duncan a giant Revenant with a huge gun and use it to troll the Clanners even more? Sold.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Grizzwold posted:

So give Duncan a giant Revenant with a huge gun and use it to troll the Clanners even more? Sold.

Why not two. Im pretty sure someone's came up with a quad design with 2 heavy gauss rifles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The best thing about quad mechs is when an enemy gets into your rear hex to try to shoot you in the back and then kick you, you get to mule kick them back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Why not two. Im pretty sure someone's came up with a quad design with 2 heavy gauss rifles.

It's not really feasible. There's no room for any kind of backup weapons if you do cram them on.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

It's not good, but it can be done. Two HGRs and 4 tons of ammo will fit on to a 4/6 quad. You run out of crit spaces very fast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

It's not good, but it can be done. Two HGRs and 4 tons of ammo will fit on to a 4/6 quad. You run out of crit spaces very fast.

4 tons of hgr ammo won't last long at all. You really want a minimum of 3 tons per, more like 4 since you won't have any other weapons.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

4 tons of hgr ammo won't last long at all. You really want a minimum of 3 tons per, more like 4 since you won't have any other weapons.

90 ton 3/5 with 4 tons per HGR and 3 cERML? You need a clan XL engine and a compact gyro to make this work.

The problem is that by going with a quad you give up 12 or 16 crit slots, depending on if you care about hand/lower arm actuators or not.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 21, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dis astranagant posted:

You mean the Duncan that has been popping fools' domes, on the run, with a (sideways held) HGR all mission?

Am I right that he had to roll to not fall over every single shot? What are the odds of him making every roll?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

90 ton 3/5 with 4 tons per HGR and 3 cERML? You need a clan XL engine and a compact gyro to make this work.

The problem is that by going with a quad you give up 12 or 16 crit slots, depending on if you care about hand/lower arm actuators or not.

There's neither the tonnage nor the crit spaces for 3 ermls. You get a medium pulse laser. Or you can drop 2 tons of armor for a clan ER large.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

There's neither the tonnage nor the crit spaces for 3 ermls. You get a medium pulse laser. Or you can drop 2 tons of armor for a clan ER large.

Weird. SSW says I can have a 90 ton 3/5, clan 270 XL, regular structure/armor, a compact gyro, and fit all that junk in there with 100% armor and 0.5 tons to spare. 33/33 crits used.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Weird. SSW says I can have a 90 ton 3/5, clan XL, regular structure/armor, a compact gyro, and fit all that junk in there with 0.5 tons to spare. 33/33 crits used.

Start your build from scratch. SSW gets buggy when you swap around engines and gyros too much. If you go up to 100 tons you can ditch the endo steel and compact gyro to have a whole 2 tons to play with using a small cockpit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Start your build from scratch. SSW gets buggy when you swap around engines and gyros too much. If you go up to 100 tons you can ditch the endo steel and compact gyro to have a whole 2 tons to play with using a small cockpit.

Definitely still works from scratch. It's still a really bad mech, but best I can tell it works.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Definitely still works from scratch. It's still a really bad mech, but best I can tell it works.

Weird. It was telling me 2 tons 1 crit with a small cockpit and just the gausses + ammo.

An amusing one I came up with instead: 100 tons, 3/5, max hardened armor, HGR+4 tons ammo, 2 light ppcs with capacitors. Gets a little toasty but it does the job. I used composite structure originally but ended up with exactly 14 crits free. It out maneuvers most fortifications :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Weird. It was telling me 2 tons 1 crit with a small cockpit and just the gausses + ammo.

An amusing one I came up with instead: 100 tons, 3/5, max hardened armor, HGR+4 tons ammo, 2 light ppcs with capacitors. Gets a little toasty but it does the job. I used composite structure originally but ended up with exactly 14 crits free. It out maneuvers most fortifications :v:

I just checked with MML as well, despite how badly it works on my machine, and the 90 ton 2xHGR 3xcERML with a clan XL and compact gyro works in there too. You can't run and fire everything all the time, but it only makes 1 more heat than it can sink.

code:
Duncan's Double Deuce 
Mixed (Base IS) 
90 tons 
BV: 2,216 
Cost: 20,020,300 C-bills 
Source: AUTRO  

Movement: 3/5 
Engine: 270 XL 
Double Heat Sinks: 10 [20] 
Gyro: Compact Gyro  

Internal: 146 
Armor: 295/295 
                     Internal  Armor
Head                        3      9
Center Torso               29     44
Center Torso (rear)               14
Right Torso                19     29
Right Torso (rear)                 9
Left Torso                 19     29
Left Torso (rear)                  9
Front Right Leg            19     38
Front Left Leg             19     38
Rear Right Leg             19     38
Rear Left Leg              19     38

Weapons                Loc  Heat
ER Medium Laser (Clan)  CT     5
ER Medium Laser (Clan)  HD     5
ER Medium Laser (Clan)  CT     5
Heavy Gauss Rifle    RT/CT     2
Heavy Gauss Rifle    LT/CT     2
The ammo goes in the legs.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2016

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of quad mechs and Revenants, are we ever going to see any of the other WoB drone vehicles come into play? The Lich, Tiamat, and Scarab would all be interesting to see fielded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ardlen posted:

[Copperhead Gamma's LBx shot at Piranha: TH 10, rolled 8, range was +2]
PTN, shouldn't this be 0 range, since it is 6 hexes away?

If it were to hit, any location kills the Piranha.

Is the Piranha dead?

goatface posted:

Which dog is the boom dog?

Since it fired its pulses at the Python at 0 range and the Patroller also fired at the Locust from 0, it must be the Revenant now in 2036. It was previously standing right in front of the Python and behind and to the side of the Grendel. It probably wanted to blow up and damage/kill the Python and remove the Grendel (the Piranha would also have taken minor damage, with the Copperhead able to get away), but its pack members followed it a bit too closely to get better shots on the Locust and Python.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread