Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Chomp8645 posted:

If there is a Kislev DLC then it should be a mini campaign where it's End Times from turn 1 and your only objective is to survive as long as possible against larger and larger waves of Chaos.

It's all but confirmed they're doing something with Kislev. People data-mining found a bunch of in dev content and placeholders. It's just an issue of whether this is the update they go in. Apparently DLC2 isn't mentioned in the data-mined content (Maybe it was supposed to be in at release?) so people are assuming it's included since it seems to be way ahead of other generic factions.

That would be pretty impressive if it was one of the first DLC's. Pretty much a total gently caress you to everyone on TWC still bitching at CA too. You'd get a whole new faction with it's own units along with a new magic type in the form of the Tsarina if she was playable as a lord.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Deified Data posted:

Should I throw my two Dwarf allies under the bus to avoid war with the Greenskins that'll probably happen anyway? Is it even possible to appease the Greenskins long-term as VC? They're the #1 faction at the moment.

Fight the Greenskins, IMHO. It's worth it long term, it helps your diplomacy, and dwarves are great for trading.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Archonex posted:

As a side note, what the heck is DLC 2 (The one that might be upcoming.) supposed to be? That russian blog translates it to krovushki, which I have no idea how to parse.

No one really knows at this point. Taking a look at Atillas DLC schedule, just because that was their most recent game:

Game Release+ Vikings Preorder DLC: Feb 17 2015
Longbeards Culture Pack: Mar 5 2015
Blood and Gore+Celts Mar 25 2015
Last Roman Campaign June 25 2015
Empire of Sands Sep 15 2015
Age of Charlemagne Dec 10 2015
Slavs Feb 25 2016

So basically Blood+2 culture packs within 5 weeks, first mini-campaign within 4 months, another (much higher quality) faction pack at 7 months, second mini-campaign 10 months out, and slavs were timed for the final patch so they were pretty much a whenever sorta thing.

Obviously Warhammer DLC is more work than Atilla's was, but they delayed the game a month and the DLC team has been working on Warhammer since the beginning of March.

My prediction is they'll announce Blood and Gore+one more DLC this week and the free Vampire unit, probably a LL pack, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked with Beastmen, they'll want at least one new faction out relatively quickly. (Whenever Beastmen come out, they'll probably be bundled with the FLC Lore of Beasts and new Empire Wizard.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

If there is a Kislev DLC then it should be a mini campaign where it's End Times from turn 1 and your only objective is to survive as long as possible against larger and larger waves of Chaos.

Protips for Kislev Survival:

1.) Make like the AI and bumrush Bearsonling's Camp.
2.) Preserve Kraka Drak at all costs.
3.) Take Attrition-reducing blue-skills ASAP.

The Kislev faction unlocker starts fun but I'm not sure if you can ever trip the start conditions for the End Times, so eventually it becomes the world's most boring game of whack-a-mole where you ambush the forces of Chaos every 4 turns. I managed to get to turn 110 with zero sign of Archaon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it'll be cool when they add Beastmen so that the Empire has something else to fight, as if it wasn't hectic enough already in the beginning.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

it'll be cool when they add Beastmen so that the Empire has something else to fight, as if it wasn't hectic enough already in the beginning.

New targets via beastmen might also give the empire-area orcs an actual shot at survival

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The obvious faction targets, based on the files, are Kislev and Bretonnia. Even without the stuff in the files they'd be the most likely, since CA already has a shitload of human assets they can probably reuse. I'd be extremely surprised to see anyone else show up before them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, they will probably flesh out the Bret roster into a full faction and unlock it in SP. Also there's a blurb about every race having at least one unit they'll add post release and I would guess the 3rd LL for all the non-Chaos factions.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Wallet posted:

The obvious faction targets, based on the files, are Kislev and Bretonnia. Even without the stuff in the files they'd be the most likely, since CA already has a shitload of human assets they can probably reuse. I'd be extremely surprised to see anyone else show up before them.

I'd say it's the opposite, Bretts being free means there's no hurry to get them out (And they already said the FLC faction won't come out until near the end of the year) and Chaos Dwarves are more confirmed than Kislev is at this point.

There's no way CA plans to wait 4-5 months to release any paid DLC factions, so Bretts will almost assuredly come after at least one or two other factions.

Bretts make sense from a man-hour perspective but not from a money/hype view, and they have to add two more magic lores for them anyway so it's not actually that simple.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 20, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Fight the Greenskins, IMHO. It's worth it long term, it helps your diplomacy, and dwarves are great for trading.

I guess I'll march a free stack south and do some razing while I wait for my corruption to grow. I might save-scum a bit and reload a save from a few turns ago so I can get a jump start on this.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Pretty stoked for Kislev, it's funny I just came across an old White Dwarf from 2004ish when GW were in a phase of trying to sell more expensive themed models (issue was Armies of The Empire specifically) by releasing free rulesets for them, before their final death march of releasing expensive and awful rulesets for expensive models that made last year's expensive models and rulesets obsolete.

The idea of bear cavalry almost made me buy a box just to paint them even though I never played fantasy.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
My Greenskin campaign got pretty silly. I decimated the Dwarfs and allowed the southern Savage Orcs to thrive. But they're kind of my buddies who ask for an occasional handout now so it's whatever (until Bretonnia murders / gets murdered by them). I'm pretty much at a stalemate with the Vampos while trying to fend off Chaos forces in my northern region. I'm honestly kind of uneasy about the Top Knotz deciding they don't need me anymore because they have several stacks on the loose and I have no idea how to build effective orc armies .. Even though I have basically every unit unlocked. :v:

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
In my current Empire game on VH, Kislev is sticking around being my Russian Bros in the North. Archaon's finally arrived (He showed up around turn 105, it's 108 now), but Kislev has been holding onto the North with an iron grip, driving away multiple chaos stacks every few turns, and actually triggering the "Faction Defeated: Warriors of Chaos" alert at least once before Archaon showed up. Now they're being flooded by Sigvald, Bigbird and Archaon so I'm not sure if they will continue to hold or not. I'm busy keeping the loving Top Knots from destroying civilization from the south and the loving Skaelings from burning everything west of Kislev to offer them much help for the forseeable future, so good luck you crazy Polrussian Bastards :poland: :ussr:

As a side note, the Good Magic Mod makes a Gelt start SO MUCH more satisfying. He doesn't feel OP or anything, but having spells that actually matter and enough ways to boost the magic reserve that you aren't running dry after 3 spells makes him fun to use. Overcasting his armor buff and transmutation of lead at the same time can turn a close fight into a victory, and casting Plague of Rust on the enemy lord or monster before focusing fire on them tears things to shreds. It's a tossup between whether he or Franz is more useful right now (Gelt's in the north fighting Skaelings and a bunch of rebel stacks, Franz is in the south fighting Orcs). Also, it's bullshit that Top Knots don't count as greenskins for the Ghal Maraz quest because they're SAVAGE orcs, not Greenskin Tribes

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I made a little instruction video on how to play Kholek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEM523JZtg

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

NT Plus posted:

My Greenskin campaign got pretty silly. I decimated the Dwarfs and allowed the southern Savage Orcs to thrive. But they're kind of my buddies who ask for an occasional handout now so it's whatever (until Bretonnia murders / gets murdered by them). I'm pretty much at a stalemate with the Vampos while trying to fend off Chaos forces in my northern region. I'm honestly kind of uneasy about the Top Knotz deciding they don't need me anymore because they have several stacks on the loose and I have no idea how to build effective orc armies .. Even though I have basically every unit unlocked. :v:

Well Orcs are one of the more versatile rosters out right now, which translates to "you need different armies for each opponent". A couple tips;

• Against the VC you want Black Orcs and Savage Orcs. A ton of VC units cause fear which hurts even worse with your lovely morale. Savage Orc Big 'uns and Black Orcs tend to get stuck in quick and fight till the end, so they are happy to fight the creepy crawlies. Wolf Riders are premiere skirmishers just because of their insane speed. Get some archers to screw up their fliers and some basic riders to intercept Black Knights. They don't have to win, just slow them down for Grimgor to headbutt Mannfred into the dirt.
  • Top Knots can be a pain, but lots and lots of archers will help. Yeah they've got a ward save but it won't block everything, and you want to avoid melee as long as possible.
  • For Chaos though, that's a tougher nut to crack. Remember that Big 'uns get a bonus versus large opponents which are like half the Chaos roster. Arachnaroks are your best monster because of the crazy amount of armor the spider has, and it gives zero shits about enemy armor. Black Orcs ditto.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Checked out that Empire of Sigmar mod. Pretty fun and it doesn't change a lot of core elements, just adds new units. Fun stuff! Just wish there were maybe some sort of veteran or unique swordsmen, but the dismounted reiksguard kind of fill that role.

Also, after using them more, I think handgunners are pretty indispensable. Keep a few crossbows as support maybe, but arty+guns and solid infantry is a great way to counter nastier foes. And I can just wheel my reiksguard/demis around. And steam tanks are ridiculous. Still have trouble countering massed chariots/marauders though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fire Barrel posted:

Checked out that Empire of Sigmar mod. Pretty fun and it doesn't change a lot of core elements, just adds new units. Fun stuff! Just wish there were maybe some sort of veteran or unique swordsmen, but the dismounted reiksguard kind of fill that role.

Also, after using them more, I think handgunners are pretty indispensable. Keep a few crossbows as support maybe, but arty+guns and solid infantry is a great way to counter nastier foes. And I can just wheel my reiksguard/demis around. And steam tanks are ridiculous. Still have trouble countering massed chariots/marauders though.

If an AI stack ever has a bunch of missile cav it's almost always better to just auto resolve.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Verranicus posted:

If an AI stack ever has a bunch of missile cav it's almost always better to just auto resolve.

i really wish there was a "mop up" setting for when the enemy army is 90% broken/dead and it's just a couple missile units and fast cavalry left vs. mostly my entire army

like, yeah, it's a foregone conclusion at this point, can we skip the 10 minutes of me chasing your skirmish mode unit around

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

oh good there is a thread now i can pepper you with terrible questions that reveal my utter lack of anything remotely resembling skill

question one: I'm bad at formations. How can I not be bad at formations.

Specifically, I'm playing dwarves and I'm not very good at anything other than:

1) find hill/bump/moderate incline
2) cannons + guns at top of hill
3) shield warriors/longbeards in 3-deep line in front of cannons + guns
4) maybe slayers or great weapon dudes near the flanks/in reserve as necessary??????????

ends up looking like this (W = warrior/longbeard, L = leader, G = gun/crossbow, S = slayer or otehr damage-y dude, C = cannon):
code:
WWWWWWWW
    L
  GGGG
S CCC  S
and then i sit and plink with my cannons until the bads (generally orcs) come fight me. This worked fairly well, up until the orcs started bringing 4-6 units of spider/boar cav with every stack, at which point I discovered that I'm not keeping my cannons out of melee no matter how hard I try.

Basically what I'm asking is, how does one deal with flankers and protect one's back line without sacrificing too much on the front line. Assume two full stacks going head to head.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

I had to use them on the hellcannons first and ended up getting worked over in the infantry lines before they could get back. I thought my Mannfred was godly until I fought a Chaos Horde. Brought me right back down to Earth.

Wait, you used terrorgheists on Hellcannons? You know they can't fight back in melee right? The perfect counter for Hellcannons are, believe it or not, normal bats. They will kill hellcannons stonecold dead if they are left alone, and usually they are since chaos just runs into your forces instead.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Sort of why I basically auto-resolve everything once I'm fighting Chaos/Varg/Skaeling, since they only ever seem to do dogs/chariots/missile cav. Occasionally they'll have mixed armies worth fighting though, which can result in some very fun, hectic battles but that is quite rare. Unfortunate, but at least I can have fun fighting Orcs and VCs to fill my quota of monstrous armies.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

EDIT: something's gone funky in my VC game. Empire's putting out armies with like 10% melee inf, majority Outrider/skirmisher cav, and then literally 50%~ish Artillery. loving sucks to fight against, Good lord :psyduck:

And thats using the "Better unit recruitment mod" too!

It's because the better unit recruitment mod probably doesn't touch AI vs. AI autoresolve, which has always, always been the problem with AI army composition. Artillery and ranged units basically don't get damaged in AI vs. AI autoresolve while all of the infantry, monsters and cav does, so while the AI is merging injured infantry together all of the artillery/ranged they recruit are still at full health and thus remain as they recruit new stuff which includes even more ranged/artillery. The same is true of the missile cavalry, even moreso since there's a special table that gives them 10x effectiveness in autoresolve if their speed is that much higher than what they're fighting.

Another issue is buildings. Any mod that's serious about keeping high quality infantry in AI stacks needs to adjust the building priority tables so the melee infantry recruit buildings are guaranteed the first thing they rebuild after getting sacked/razed. Another trick is to use the "if you build this then consider building this" table such that everything they could possibly build points to "please build those infantry recruitment buildings".

In my opinion nothing is actually wrong with the recruitment tables themselves other than the quality values on some things being too high--larger units, their values are too high so the AI is satisfied with only building a couple. The "make sure x% of your stack value is of this unit type" stuff is fine and lowering it leads to not enough ranged near the beginning but then since you're not fixing the autoresolve or the buildings you still end up with too much all the same by the end.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ChickenWing posted:

Basically what I'm asking is, how does one deal with flankers and protect one's back line without sacrificing too much on the front line. Assume two full stacks going head to head.

I'm going to level with you, Slayers are kinda terrible right now for a ton of reasons. Cut them down to one and have two Shield Warriors/Longbeards in the back row as reserves or to tank a charge from cavalry. It might be worth it to have a Greatweapons unit to serve as an extra arrow magnet instead of your slayers. If you're having trouble with cannons I definitely recommend sticking to Grudgethrowers and Quarrelers, as they're better at firing over your own lines if there's not a convenient hill. The "checkerboard" gets mentioned a lot but I find it a bit of a pain to set up. The idea is to include gaps in the line big enough that your gunpowder units have something to fire at, while small enough that enemy units can't easily run through them.

A better formation might look like this:

code:
W-W-W-W-W-W
-----L-----
-T-Q-Q-Q-T-
--Q--Q--Q--
W--C-S-C--W
1x Lord
8x Warriors
6x Quarrelers
2x Thunderers
2x Cannons
1x Slayers

Rounds you out to a full 20 unit stack.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 20, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

I'm going to level with you, Slayers are kinda terrible right now for a ton of reasons. Cut them down to one and have two Shield Warriors/Longbeards in the back row as reserves or to tank a charge from cavalry. It might be worth it to have a Greatweapons unit to serve as an extra arrow magnet instead of your slayers. If you're having trouble with cannons I definitely recommend sticking to Grudgethrowers and Quarrelers, as they're better at firing over your own lines if there's not a convenient hill. The "checkerboard" gets mentioned a lot but I find it a bit of a pain to set up. The idea is to include gaps in the line big enough that your gunpowder units have something to fire at, while small enough that enemy units can't easily run through them.

re: slayers - Yeah I saw that in the OP. I'm at the point where I can start rolling ironbreakers/hammerers so I'm going to start doing that.

I'm not having too much trouble with the use of cannons - usually I plonk at advancing troops until they get in melee, at which point I switch target to enemy ranged. Thunderers a little less so - I know I'm inflicting some friendly fire with them, but mostly I get them to shoot at monsters or other things I can fire over top of my troops for.

My big problem seems to be that I'm not sure how to position properly. If I keep some defenders in the back to absorb charges, the cavalry just goes around them. If I turn and face, the cav often can get a charge in before my slow-rear end dwarves are braced. If I have enough reserves to cover a couple flank angles, I don't have enough up front, leaving my lines either very thin or vulnerable to being flanked.

This all ignores the problems vs VC and their goddamn fliers that can basically do whatever the hell they want to me.

Note that I'm not losing these battles usually, I'm just taking significantly more casualties than I feel like I should.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Everyone keep saying that VC take it slow with expanding in the campaign, which I find very odd.
I've completed one vanilla VH long campaign campaign playtrough with VC, one with mods, and just recently started up a new one, haven't felt the use in any of the campaigns to sit back and wait for corruption.
Best way I always found was to expand asap soon as oppurtunity reveals itself, when you wait long then often the next target gets confederated or allies up bringing you into bigger wars.

Lack of corruption is barely ever an issue early on, taking the 2 neighbouring empire provinces to the south and west out asap then just have your a general or two around to smash rebellions, my tip is to force pop rebellions since they are great for leveling up your lords as well as loot, and once you own the province yourself the corruption increases at a decent rate and eventually public order will settle.

I don't think I ever felt the need to build the corruption building since it feels like a wasted slot which could be either growth(early on), money or city walls(always go for city walls in every settlement) or more tech army recruit buildings when it comes to province capitals.
And if you're not at war you can always raid a newly conquered province to spawn more rebel armies to have your lords and armies have something to do, else they just sit and cost upkeep for no reason.

I feel VC is the easiest race to fast expand with (unless you're one of the unlucky ones stuck with raise dead bug i guess) since you can recruit a whole stack on the move at times, and even the base 2 skellies 3 zombies every province has can be usefull fillers when you need to replace any losses or summon up a quick defence to aid a garrison in need.
Sure VC is also easy to grow tall with, but you can just as easily grow both tall and wide at the same time.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Choyi posted:

Everyone keep saying that VC take it slow with expanding in the campaign, which I find very odd.
I've completed one vanilla VH long campaign campaign playtrough with VC, one with mods, and just recently started up a new one, haven't felt the use in any of the campaigns to sit back and wait for corruption.
Best way I always found was to expand asap soon as oppurtunity reveals itself, when you wait long then often the next target gets confederated or allies up bringing you into bigger wars.

Lack of corruption is barely ever an issue early on, taking the 2 neighbouring empire provinces to the south and west out asap then just have your a general or two around to smash rebellions, my tip is to force pop rebellions since they are great for leveling up your lords as well as loot, and once you own the province yourself the corruption increases at a decent rate and eventually public order will settle.

I don't think I ever felt the need to build the corruption building since it feels like a wasted slot which could be either growth(early on), money or city walls(always go for city walls in every settlement) or more tech army recruit buildings when it comes to province capitals.
And if you're not at war you can always raid a newly conquered province to spawn more rebel armies to have your lords and armies have something to do, else they just sit and cost upkeep for no reason.

I feel VC is the easiest race to fast expand with (unless you're one of the unlucky ones stuck with raise dead bug i guess) since you can recruit a whole stack on the move at times, and even the base 2 skellies 3 zombies every province has can be usefull fillers when you need to replace any losses or summon up a quick defence to aid a garrison in need.
Sure VC is also easy to grow tall with, but you can just as easily grow both tall and wide at the same time.

Some people don't like abusing game mechanics (forcing rebellions to mess with unrest) and would prefer to play it more straight.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, the lack of corruption in conquered provinces is a non-issue. Did VC on VH, just deal with the rebellions.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ChickenWing posted:

My big problem seems to be that I'm not sure how to position properly. If I keep some defenders in the back to absorb charges, the cavalry just goes around them. If I turn and face, the cav often can get a charge in before my slow-rear end dwarves are braced. If I have enough reserves to cover a couple flank angles, I don't have enough up front, leaving my lines either very thin or vulnerable to being flanked.

The good thing about dwarf ranged units is they are still dwarfs. Dude still has armour and a shield.

You can use your thunderers and quarrellers to shoot cavalry that flanks. Early on especially the only cavalry you'll really be fighting is orc stuff and it melts to quarrellers.

With the AI flanking tactics you basically just need to keep a unit in each flank and basically position them so they can't side or rear charge a unit without going through them. It's one of the annoying things to deal with as a player because the AI can move up both flanks at the same time but you can only position one at a time as you're a inferior human.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NT Plus posted:

My basic orc army is currently something like 1 shaman, 3-4 black orcs, 3-4 big 'uns, 2 boar units, 3 siege weapons (mostly rock lobbers since they are cheap), 1-2 arachnorok and/or giant, and the rest filled out with random stuff, of which I have been favoring spider rider archers and trolls lately. If it's just a mop-up army that I plan on using auto-resolve a lot I replace the monsters with more troops (big 'uns, arrer boys, etc). This is my sort of generic 'decent at everything' army. If I am fighting VC I tend to add more ranged units and for dwarfs I add more cavalry / harassment troops and/or siege. I also usually have at least 1 unit of spider rider archers.

My Grimgor doomstack is like 5 doom divers, 2 catapults, a giant, an arachnarok, a shaman, 6 black orcs, 2 big 'uns, and 2 savage orc big'un boar boyz.

I play around with them a lot and make gimmick armies (loads of cavalry, all savage, tons of goblins, etc) but these armies seem to be able to handle most anything thrown at them on hard difficulty. The main core of every army is a block of black orcs since they are an incredible jump in leadership from big 'uns.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So can someone tell me how raise dead is supposed to work so I know if it's working properly for me or not? I have skeletons/skeleton spears/zombies/bats at any given moment, except for Templehof where I got some black knights from the huge battle I had there. If it was bugged I wouldn't be getting those units from the battlefield, right?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Deified Data posted:

So can someone tell me how raise dead is supposed to work so I know if it's working properly for me or not? I have skeletons/skeleton spears/zombies/bats at any given moment, except for Templehof where I got some black knights from the huge battle I had there. If it was bugged I wouldn't be getting those units from the battlefield, right?

If you get anything other than skeletons and zombies then it's working for you.

I get the strong feeling that the raise dead bug is really raise dead failing to scale with unit sizes. There's at least one person who said that they never got anything and they were on Medium.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kitchner posted:

The good thing about dwarf ranged units is they are still dwarfs. Dude still has armour and a shield.

You can use your thunderers and quarrellers to shoot cavalry that flanks. Early on especially the only cavalry you'll really be fighting is orc stuff and it melts to quarrellers.

With the AI flanking tactics you basically just need to keep a unit in each flank and basically position them so they can't side or rear charge a unit without going through them. It's one of the annoying things to deal with as a player because the AI can move up both flanks at the same time but you can only position one at a time as you're a inferior human.

curse my inefficient flesh

Okay that makes me feel better. I also don't really read stats, I just fly by whatever the unit text says, so for a while I was using great weapon troops as line infantry which I realized was a bad idea a very short time ago (and an even bad-er idea after reading the OP and finding out that great weapons are -only- good against heavy armour).

Does anyone here actually go full bore on fancy formations? I know in Empire I had a friend who used sawteeth to great effect.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Some people don't like abusing game mechanics (forcing rebellions to mess with unrest) and would prefer to play it more straight.

Even without force rebellion abuse, its not an issue to stomp down any rebellion that spawns in newly conquered provinces.
VC especially has the easiest way with it since they can muster up an army more or less out of thin air.

I mean people can play the way they like the best, if you wanna roleplay your campaigns and such then go for it! I do that myself as well, I've have run campaigns without either abusing auto resolve bugg/balance issues(fighting near every battle manualy) or similar stuff.
But I feel giving new people the advice to take it slow and wait for corruption before conquest isn't a good nor helpfull one.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Choyi posted:

Even without force rebellion abuse, its not an issue to stomp down any rebellion that spawns in newly conquered provinces.
VC especially has the easiest way with it since they can muster up an army more or less out of thin air.

I mean people can play the way they like the best, if you wanna roleplay your campaigns and such then go for it! I do that myself as well, I've have run campaigns without either abusing auto resolve bugg/balance issues(fighting near every battle manualy) or similar stuff.
But I feel giving new people the advice to take it slow and wait for corruption before conquest isn't a good nor helpfull one.

Just beeline to the first and second corruption tech that gives +2 to region and +1 to every neighboring region. Also the corruption buildings are better public order buildings than the gibbet because of the VC racial.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I belive if it was bugged you would only ever see the base 3; skeletons (swords and spears) and zombies, while normaly a turn or two after a major battle you will have potential for mid and late tier units(tier and quantity both depends om the amount of casualities in the area) as well as more of the base ones avaliable. Also do note that raise dead is region/area based(sometimes I have to be almost right on top of the marker to get the units avaliable from it) for the big battles, while the base supply is province based.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Choyi posted:

Yeah I don't think you're going to make any progress with this. The active posters in the thread have decided that doing anything other than trying desperately to keep your provinces happy as VC and spreading corruption through techs and agents is powergamey bullshit. Build a wight king, research some tech. That's how you do it, apparently.

For what it's worth I had the same observations from my VH campaign and agree with your advice.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 20, 2016

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Grognan posted:

Just beeline to the first and second corruption tech that gives +2 to region and +1 to every neighboring region. Also the corruption buildings are better public order buildings than the gibbet because of the VC racial.

Always felt corruption increases enough in time once you conquer a province that is never comes up as issue again once you put down a rebellion or two, the gibbet also provides income, while its small still can pay for an extra units upkeep as well as being cheap, while the corruption building only gives the corruption and is more expensive.
Also afaik deployed heroes also gives base 1-2 corruption increase each for the area they are in, and you often deploy at least a necro and vampire in each newly conquered province to help build it up fast.

The corruption tech is good though, mainly cause its in the tree you are best of starting research in early for the growth and income techs and the first corruption tech is on the way in the tree anyways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

Yeah I don't think you're going to make any progress with this. The active posters in the thread have decided that doing anything other than trying desperately to keep your provinces happy as VC and spreading corruption through techs and agents is powergamey bullshit. Build a wight king, research some tech. That's how you do it, apparently.

See the reason people don't like you is because if you disagree with them you go straight to painting some exaggerated caricature of their opinion.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

See the reason people don't like you is because if you disagree with them you go straight to painting some exaggerated caricature of their opinion.

As opposed to your measured response, wherein you called me an autist for posting that ignoring Vampiric corruption is the way to go and treating rebels as a commodity you can ignore or pop when you want.

For the second time in two days, can you please keep this personal bullshit out of the thread? I don't like you, you don't like me, nobody needs to read about that poo poo in the Warhammer thread.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Beat a Long very hard empire campaign by turn 120, heres the rundown of how it went for me.

Turn 1-20, restarting over and over until I could get into a situation where every single neighbor wasn't sacking my starting area within 5 turns of beginning, had success getting a second lord early then going north to middenheim after spending awhile sacking the orc city to the west for early levels and money, then once middenheim was finished I could get confederations from factions about to die and had enough experienced armies to take out marienburg while their armies were away fighting bretonnians.

Turn 21-99 was playing like the chaos warriors, I was running up to -5000 gold per turn and I could barely keep everything under control with 5 or 6 armies, a couple dedicated just to beating up rebels which was a big source of gold and hero items/levels.

As soon as I beat back the first waves of norse raiders and had some breathing room I went on the offensive and sent my strongest lord next to Franz to sack the norse settlements and then raze them, it was a MAJOR help since it slowed down the raiding ships, once the nords on the north coast confederated I sent their army to help sack the vaegs despite the extra gold I had to pay in upkeep.

Around turn 70 I rushed down the vampires because I was sick of corruption and made fast friends with the northern dwarves, if you want a ally when everyone hates you, go after someones arch enemy.

Turn 99+ the final chaos invasion happened, which meant that Shield of Civilization happened, it was pretty much impossible to lose at that point, every faction still in the game stopped hating me, the dwarves stopped sacking and razing my cities and suddenly single human and dwarf faction gave me trade routes military alliances and became my vassals and then sent multiple stacks to the north to fight the chaos.

That was the first turn I was making positive gold since the start.

A large amount of the fights during the campaign were auto resolves, but I had a couple actual fights that came down to the wire, once fighting the drakenhof garrison on a field and the army and lords and heroes surviving by 1% and then the final fight with Archaeon/Kholek against just Franz, it came down to Karl bashing the hellcannons and cavalry himself while the infantry struggled to hold on, the light wizard net was invaluable and it ended with everyone at 1% again and getting the achievement for beating a army that costs twice your own armies cost.

The entire campaign I used nothing but armies of swordsmen/spears/crossbows with every lord rushing for honest steel with eventually a warrior priest in every stack specced for army healing, any siege equipment I got in my armies was from beating rebels and getting lucky with taking their mortars and rockets, it was all I needed and all I could ever afford but it did wonders for the auto resolve.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread