Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Credit where credit is due: from a purely production based standpoint, that was probably the greatest battle sequence ever filmed for a TV show. Blackwater, for example, was well filmed (and a better episode overall), but still very much a TV-level production with all the limitations that entailed, most clearly seen when battle was actually joined and it looked like a couple of dozen guys going at it tops. This episode really did blur the lines between what you'd expect from a TV show, and what you'd see in a well-budgeted movie.

So yeah, while it had nothing special that hasn't been done in movies many times before before, to see that in a TV show was quite a spectacular feat in of itself. Absolute garbage, cliche-riddled writing, as has been par for the course with this show for a very long time now, but a brilliantly produced spectacle for television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope they wont ever trust Jon again to command even a patrol after this fiasco. He is the worst commander

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Best theory seems to be that he finds out he's a product of incest and freaks out. I doubt Marge will die, considering we haven't seen that leak in a spoiler yet.

My guess is Cersei sets the city on fire and his jump is an act of desperation. We will then have a discussion about Russians jumping from great heights onto whatever surface Tommen lands on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The episode opens with a catapult being loaded and fired from a ship, yet every ship from the far out shots is shown to be using trebuchets. Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

The ep 10 preview had Davos yelling at Mel for the Shireen thing. I guess he's finally figured it out.

I wonder if Davos will kill Mel at some point.

I hope so and I hope he fails. I actually like both book and show Mel precisely because both are trying to work for the greater good, often in quite evil ways. Mel knows winter is coming and that the others are the true enemy of mankind and she will do anything to stop them, including offering children. She is an interesting character, she has been a true beliver, but is now starting to question her own believes, because her predictions have been wrong.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just watched and I want to whine about Starks apparently discovering what a phalanx is, at a pretty bad time. You might even say a really dumb time.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Wasn't bothered by much of everything in the North, thought it was all good and fine. The sequence when the camera follows Jon after the cavalry charge was fantastic, hectic and stressful, very similar to that Hardhome sequence. A poster did write that it's pretty hosed up of Sansa to not mention she's waiting for the Vale forced and that could have led to Jon and the whole army dying and...that's a good point. But that didn't occur to me while watching.

Only thing I'm bothered by is not giving the Greyjoys a chance to come in and smash some Slaver ships. Which definitely happens in the books, and is a pretty easy way to display loyalty to Dany? I guess they ran out of time and money to portray a huge second battle and they wanted to really make this Dany's Victory. Whatever.

It's too bad they didn't show the North really breaking with Ramsay in some fashion. Everything is about main characters in the show, they're the only movers of events. Ah well.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 20, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Atreiden posted:

I had hoped the Samwell plot would have moved to old town and his training as a maester by now. It's not like the season didn't waste a lot of time on pointless scenes, where they could have shown Sam's plot instead. Especially Tyrion's drinking with robots scenes
The Sam plot will probably consist of him getting kidnapped by Euron, providing a foil to him, and then joining Dany after the two fight. So I'm not sure why you feel the need to hurry it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I won't go back to quote him because I don't want to shame him that much but there's someone itt who thinks there's only been a week between Stannis dying and the events that took place in last night's episode, that's the sort of audience D&D are dealing with, it's understandable why the writing is so bad because why bother when the audience are this loving retarded.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

meristem posted:

The Sam plot will probably consist of him getting kidnapped by Euron, providing a foil to him, and then joining Dany after the two fight. So I'm not sure why you feel the need to hurry it.

Because I hoped he would go the book route and actually start his training as a maester. If nothing else, than to discover some long lost secrets about dragons and valyrian steel.

El Hefe posted:

I won't go back to quote him because I don't want to shame him that much but there's someone itt who thinks there's only been a week between Stannis dying and the events that took place in last night's episode, that's the sort of audience D&D are dealing with, it's understandable why the writing is so bad because why bother when the audience are this loving retarded.

It has actually only been two days ;)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Snatch Duster posted:

In Episode 10, we see Lyanna and a baby in the Tower of Blue Balls Joy. She whispers something we don't hear. It then cuts to Jon.

If this is true, this is beyond stupid as hell. Just loving say it already and stop playing coy.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What happened to Karstark? I thought one of the spoilers said Jon kills him, but I didn't see anyone like him in the battle.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's a drama but for real getting caught behind a body pile and then just letting a phalanx that up to that point had just been chilling and unengaged suddenly encircle you sounds really bad. I AM NOT GENERAL ALEXANDER i'm just saying it's a medieval show, one that's historically already had its bronze age and is probably acutely aware of stuff like that, so you dig trenches to stop calvalry charges but i guess that and seeing your brother die just mentally exhausted you and kept you from wondering why Ramsay had a bunch of spearmen hanging out. Everyone just stood there like it was some kind of blood magic when it happened too and it's just so god drat dumb

but anyway I really liked the episode still. A lot of catharsis was had. I'm glad that rumored "He must stand trial!" spoiler was false.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Yeah that got a genuine laugh out of me. I assume he was joking though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VaultAggie posted:

What happened to Karstark? I thought one of the spoilers said Jon kills him, but I didn't see anyone like him in the battle.

Tormund takes a few chunks out of him.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was Umber.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was the Umber

EFB

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

If this is true, this is beyond stupid as hell. Just loving say it already and stop playing coy.

I think they might be giving it as a concession to GRRM who wants to have that particular reveal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Demiurge4 posted:

I think they might be giving it as a concession to GRRM who wants to have that particular reveal.

Winds of Winter won't be out before Season 7 though so it's a fool's errand to try to give him that.

Anyhow if they want to give him the reveal teasing it this season was dumb; going back to tease the reveal a second time is even more dumb. Just leave it alone until you're ready to resolve it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I half believe that GRRM is that reddit poster who leaked the spoilers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
its kinda funny i enjoy the stuff some people really dislike. like theon and yara just being in mereen, im glad i didn't have to watch more eps of them sailing there, wouldve been boring. the one scene they did have on the way was quite good, too, so leaving it at that is perfect.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jon's army is almost entirely Wildlings. I don't think it's unrealistic that they got encircled so easily.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Someone had a theory that Jon will see his true parentage when he goes down to the crypt when burying Rickon. Sounds good to me. Maybe that's what the cut to him is.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone had a theory that Jon will see his true parentage when he goes down to the crypt when burying Rickon. Sounds good to me. Maybe that's what the cut to him is.

how would he see it? i like the idea cuz it moves that storyline forward, but what would the starks have down there that would let him know?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tbp posted:

how would he see it? i like the idea cuz it moves that storyline forward, but what would the starks have down there that would let him know?

DNA testing kit

Considering they have a magic priestess, anything can happen

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

tbp posted:

Bran still has to do SOMETHING.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think next season it's likely we will see Howland Reed finally show up as the questions of Jon's parentage and status as a bastard comes up. Even if he and Bran Stark somehow know, there is nobody alive from the tower of Joy except him and Jon.

Unless Sansa is going to become queen in the north, or her acceptance of Tully help came with some lame rear end strings attached like another marraige to littlefinger or something, things are headed towards jon assuming himself as the de jure head of house stark, unless Bran makes it to winterfell and wants that poo poo for himself, and he didn't seem to enjoy being warden very much for his time there.

Jon knowing his parentage, and having it backed up by Howland also creates an interesting conflict with Dany, as his claim is stronger if RL+J is true and Howland vouches. Being Jon Stark-Targaryen of Winterfel will be a point of friction as dany, the south, and the north strart coming to terms with the arrival of others, or it may serve to basically force the northern and southern houses to accept a targ ruler, history will prove fairly cyclical and something like how Torrhen Stark knelt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You can say Jon is a lovely commander, but he's 2-0 as a starting quarterback

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Harlock posted:

You can say Jon is a lovely commander, but he's 2-0 as a starting quarterback

The Tim Tebow of Westeros.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

tbp posted:

They said the crypts would have their parentage on it. So Rickon would say son of Eddard and Caitlin. Then Jon would see his that was already prepared and it would show Lyanna and Rhegar.

Here's the link. https://m.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4k261b/spoilers_everything_the_forbidden_tomb_in_the/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

They said the crypts would have their parentage on it. So Rickon would say son of Eddard and Caitlin. Then Jon would see his that was already prepared and it would show Lyanna and Rhegar.

holy lol if true. its not like the crypts are a secret and people can walk down there to pay their respects.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The crypts aren't a secret themself, but don't they house secrets in the books?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The crypts are not secret, it's just that Theon and Ramsay never suspected Bran and Rickon's party circled back to winterfell and never thought to search there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Right on Lyanna's grave is going to be inscribed "Jon's mine and Rhaegar's kid" and just no one ever bothered to read it. Not even Robert when he visited.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

hemophilia posted:

I think next season it's likely we will see Howland Reed finally show up as the questions of Jon's parentage and status as a bastard comes up. Even if he and Bran Stark somehow know, there is nobody alive from the tower of Joy except him and Jon.

Unless Sansa is going to become queen in the north, or her acceptance of Tully help came with some lame rear end strings attached like another marraige to littlefinger or something, things are headed towards jon assuming himself as the de jure head of house stark, unless Bran makes it to winterfell and wants that poo poo for himself, and he didn't seem to enjoy being warden very much for his time there.

Jon knowing his parentage, and having it backed up by Howland also creates an interesting conflict with Dany, as his claim is stronger if RL+J is true and Howland vouches. Being Jon Stark-Targaryen of Winterfel will be a point of friction as dany, the south, and the north strart coming to terms with the arrival of others, or it may serve to basically force the northern and southern houses to accept a targ ruler, history will prove fairly cyclical and something like how Torrhen Stark knelt.

Even if R+L = J is true, Jon would still be a bastard and Daenerys claim would be stronger. Rhaegar and Lyanna were not married. He has no more claim to the throne than Gendry.

Also Sansa received help from the Vale, not the Tully's.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 20, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Here's the link. https://m.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4k261b/spoilers_everything_the_forbidden_tomb_in_the/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

LOL @ this stupidity.

Ned literally takes Robert down to the crypts to see Lyanna in the first episode of the show. He spent 15 years hiding that secret from Robert and then he's gonna show it to him literally set in loving stone.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

TommyGun85 posted:

LOL @ this stupidity.

Ned literally takes Robert down to the crypts to see Lyanna in the first episode of the show. He spent 15 years hiding that secret from Robert and then he's gonna show it to him literally set in loving stone.

Remember which show you're watching.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TommyGun85 posted:

LOL @ this stupidity.

Ned showed Robert Lyanna's grave, not Jon's.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Atreiden posted:

Even if R+L = J is true, Jon would still be a bastard and Daenerys claim would be stronger. Rhaegar and Lyanna were not married. He has no more claim to the throne than Gendry.

Also Sansa received help from the Vale, not the Tully's.

Royal bastards are diffferent. Jon can make a claim as both his parents were highborn of two of the most powerful houses at the time of his conception.

In history, and IIRC in westeros, Royal bastards are in line and low born bastards are not. If I'm wrong I want proof!

E: I meant the vale. The error came up up bc Cat being tully, littlefinger's obsession, all that. my bad on that point.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Unzip and Attack posted:

HAHAHAHAHA that battle was like something I would have written when I was 12 loving years old. They had a literal time out to let the bolton spear guys completely encircle them and there was a pile of bodies like 10 feet high. HAHAHAHAHAHA the spoilers were loving true, jesus christ. Of course Ramsay killed the last giant while 50+ dudes had arrows pointed at him and no one did anything. Of course!

Hey guys remember when the Bolton army was like 10,000 mounted soldiers and no footmen? Yeah I guess they just let all those dudes retire with pensions to train a Macedonian phalanx in a few months time.

LOL

Remember a well written show lets the viewers figure some things out for themselves. It was my understanding that at least half of those Calvary were the mercs that deserted Stannis. They left the but remember they were in a foreign land. Ramsey probably offered them food,shelter and gold to fight for him before they went home. Seems obvious to me.

• Locked thread