Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/744913178551853059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Paul Waldman makes a really good point this morning, before this happened:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/06/20/the-trump-campaign-is-becoming-an-outright-catastrophe/

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

If this is true I think we're about to get a lot of "unnamed source close to the Trump campaign" dirty laundry in the press this week. :getin:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Working the same job kind of depends on your industry and track.

Also I wasn't quite sure why the markets had exploded in early trading this morning but I guess the tides are turning (again) on Brexit and the Stay vote is picking up momentum. So that's good news. Thursday will be interesting.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

It's cool they think Lewandowski is the problem, and not their father.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's cool they think Lewandowski is the problem, and not their father.

What are you going to do, fire your dad the day after father's day?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What are you going to do, fire your dad the day after father's day?

Yes.

The problem isn't Lewandowski -- it's with Trump himself. They can say that it's Lewnadowski's fault they have 30 paid staffers and no fundraising efforts, but the truth is that ultimately, it comes down to Trump himself not being able to admit he isn't the smartest guy in the room and that he's way the gently caress in over his head.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCaputo/status/744889850914971648

Only the most professionalism from the Trump staff, folks, only the most professional behavior.

(Caputo is Trump's New York state campaign director)

At least that tweet is about Lewandowski and not Jo Cox.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

drat WJ, nine years is crazy. Have you gotten regular pay increases and promotions or are you already near the top? What do you do?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yup. Suddenly the broader public actually cares about his failures, and is judging him for it. That's a completely new experience for Trump. Suffice it to say, he's not dealing with it very well.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
People stay because republicans tell them they can bring jobs back to the region and people believe them.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Digging this up from several pages back because I'm catching up with the thread, and actually know something about this.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

remember that lovely white boy who threatened to shoot up mizzou protesters last november?

here's his sentence

quote:

In February 2015, police were contacted after he hung a Nazi flag off the balcony of his residence hall because, according to a police report, he thought his right to free speech was being violated because other students had hung a Japanese flag on campus.
:shepface:

I remember hearing from one of his roommates that he kept flying the Nazi flag in his room afterwards. Hunter's also got a pretty serious case of Cystic Fibrosis. I'm guessing that had an impact in sentencing. Kid's a bit of a fucker.
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/11/12/friends-hunter-park-say-he-had-very-twisted-sense-/

alpha_destroy posted:

Also that guy is actually a student at M S&T in Rolla. Every year the dormies there throw a giant party on the day of Pearl Harbor called "Pearl Habor" which commemorates a group of drop-outs that barricaded themselves in their rooms and were forcibly removed on that day. So all those Japanese flags are actually a weird local tradition that little to nothing to do with Japan.

Sooooo... the Nazi flag thing is even loving dumber.

They weren't technically drop-outs. They were just gonna fail out and decided they'd rather be kicked out. The party's only connections to Japan was that the first one was around December 7th and it was war/beach themed. And the students flying the Japanese flags had a good conversation with the campus' Institutional Equity, Diversity & Inclusion administration at the end of the school year about the flags. The school's not forcing them to remove the flags from their windows, but there may get modified so they're not just the straight Imperial Japanese flag. Hopefully it'll placate the Chinese students that complained about the flag.

There're lol'ing about getting mentioned in a national newspaper today.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Doesn't Medicaid have it's own host of problems, like a shitton of doctors not accepting it? I will fully admit I'm fairly ignorant on these things.

Medicaid has pretty good coverage with solid appeal rights if you are denied. The problem is it generally doesnt pay doctors enough relative to what they can get from private pay. Medicaid for all is a reasonably good proposal.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Has anyone here worked for their current job for more than two years? In the industry I'm entering it seems to be common to move every two years and sooner if possible. At least until you're in a position or market that you enjoy.

May 1 was the 10 year mark for me.

quote:

drat WJ, nine years is crazy. Have you gotten regular pay increases and promotions or are you already near the top? What do you do?

Not directed at me, but I'll answer anyhow.

My salary has doubled since I started and I've gotten three promotions. I'm a geologist working at an environmental consulting firm.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fishmech posted:

People have been saying this "we won't get SS when we retire" stuff so long that the phrase is literally old enough to have already retired and started collecting SS for several years itself.

Uh, "progressives" who whine about identity politics and only care about white men's needs are very much not the base of the Democratic party - considering the base of the Democratic party is minorities and women. Way to melt down I guess?

Remember: surveys were done of Democrat primary voters who were Bernie Or Bust - they were majority moderate, followed by levels of conservative, and only then by liberal/progressive as a tiny faction. I'm glad those supposed "progressives" who are really centrists but with whines about free tuition aren't getting a seat at the table!

Do you have a link to these surveys?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Medicaid has pretty good coverage with solid appeal rights if you are denied. The problem is it generally doesnt pay doctors enough relative to what they can get from private pay. Medicaid for all is a reasonably good proposal.

It's not an ideal proposal.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

People stay because republicans tell them they can bring jobs back to the region and people believe them.

Actually they're all too aware that they're getting smoke blown up their rear end by the GOP. It's the reason Trump won big while more serious candidates like Jeb(!) Bush imploded spectacularly.

People don't just pick up and leave because it's a really hard thing to do. Especially if you have no money or connections in your new location.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

May 1 was the 10 year mark for me.

Not directed at me, but I'll answer anyhow.

My salary has doubled since I started and I've gotten three promotions. I'm a geologist working at an environmental consulting firm.

Thanks! It's interesting seeing how different fields view jobs.

I've been taught that companies don't wants to pay you what you're worth but you can often make them because SOMEONE will pay you what you're worth.

I wonder how much of my willingness to go anywhere comes from a military childhood and being in the military myself vs my choice of industry.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Medicare, meanwhile, has no maximum out-of-pocket and minimal coverage for long term care

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

How Can Hillary Clinton Win the Bernie Sanders Vote?

quote:

Voters who would support Sanders, but not Clinton, over Trump, overwhelmingly identify as moderate. Many more of them identify as conservative than liberal, and far fewer of them identify as liberal than the Clinton supporters who identify as liberal. All this data suggests that, if Clinton does need to reposition herself ideologically to lock down the Bernie vote, she would move to the right, not the left.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Has anyone here worked for their current job for more than two years? In the industry I'm entering it seems to be common to move every two years and sooner if possible. At least until you're in a position or market that you enjoy.

Start in a small local market, or if you're good a midsize market or like a state paper.

After a year or two shop yourself around to bigger markets. If you enjoy where you are leverage those offers for a higher salary, otherwise move on.

Repeat until you can't.

It's highly dependent on the career. In my field a lot of entry level jobs are two years because they're meant to go between undergrad and graduate work, and then postgrad positions end up being long-term. In others it's easier to get raises and promotions when you move between companies than relying on internal processes, so people will switch every few years until they reach a level they're comfortable at. In some you're just happy to have any work at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not an ideal proposal.

And Hillary's not an ideal candidate. Perfect match

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well I was going to link to it but Deteriorata beat me. But the point remains that vast majority of people who are actually progressive are completely willing to vote for Hillary and don't make hyperbolic moans about how she's totally going to betray them because "mumble mumble".

It also reflects how in a lot of states, the Sanders vote was also very high among people who believed Obama isn't conservative enough.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: at the thought that Trump's list of cabinet staff can't get security clearances because they're in hock to every rear end in a top hat from Berlusconi to Sisi to Yanukovich.
And one is just a straight-up a Lebanese war criminal.

Welp, now we see what the fallout from this ends up being.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well I was going to link to it but Deteriorata beat me. But the point remains that vast majority of people who are actually progressive are completely willing to vote for Hillary and don't make hyperbolic moans about how she's totally going to betray them because "mumble mumble".

It also reflects how in a lot of states, the Sanders vote was also very high among people who believed Obama isn't conservative enough.

:owned:

It's been demanded often enough I have it bookmarked.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I've been following this pretty closely but I guess I missed a day somewhere.... who are the 'Trump Children'?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Necc0 posted:

I've been following this pretty closely but I guess I missed a day somewhere.... who are the 'Trump Children'?

literally his biological children. they look pretty much exactly as you'd imagine

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

emdash posted:

literally his biological children. they look pretty much exactly as you'd imagine
One of them is Eric Trump, who bears a distinct resemblance to Odo:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Trump being a shifter would explain so much

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Eric Trump also sounds exactly like his father. So we have another generation of that.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Moving from place to place to chase jobs isn't something we should expect from the American people. It's expensive and stressful for one. Dangerous if you don't have a safety net, for another. And it feels like drone behavior...going where the rich want us to, just to survive. Screw that.

Second, do you expect the whole of middle America to up and move to coastal cities? Just abandon the "empty" parts of the country? Those areas need more investment from the Federal government, not less. Who wants more crowding on the coasts, or the increase in cost of living? Sure, industries may not come back, but that doesn't prevent investment into new fields.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah my worries are gone. This is not the Trump campaign dissecting and removing a problem. This is them continuing to eat eachother alive.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Moving from place to place to chase jobs isn't something we should expect from the American people. It's expensive and stressful for one. Dangerous if you don't have a safety net, for another. And it feels like drone behavior...going where the rich want us to, just to survive. Screw that.

Second, do you expect the whole of middle America to up and move to coastal cities? Just abandon the "empty" parts of the country? Those areas need more investment from the Federal government, not less. Who wants more crowding on the coasts, or the increase in cost of living? Sure, industries may not come back, but that doesn't prevent investment into new fields.

I don't think anyone is advocating that.

I think the original point was that there are small towns devoid of opportunity for anyone wanting upward mobility. I'm from a town of 8,000 people. It's a nice town for an established family. It's a horrible town for a young professional.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The thing of it is moderates loving love democratic policies, they just hate Democrats after decades of all out right wing media campaigns to discredit and turn them into bogeymen. Sanders just did so well with moderates because he wasn't a mainstream Democrat so he didn't carry that baggage. If Clinton had a different name and hadn't held major political office they'd be in love with her.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Boon posted:

I don't think anyone is advocating that.

I think the original point was that there are small towns devoid of opportunity for anyone wanting upward mobility. I'm from a town of 8,000 people. It's a nice town for an established family. It's a horrible town for a young professional.

I hope not. It's something that Libertarians advocate on the regular, so it sets off alarms for me.

Honestly with the advent of telecommuting, we should see less of this problem in the future. Juuust as soon as managerial culture gets around to not demanding to stare over your shoulder for 8 hours...

:smith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Talmonis posted:

I hope not. It's something that Libertarians advocate on the regular, so it sets off alarms for me.

Honestly with the advent of telecommuting, we should see less of this problem in the future. Juuust as soon as managerial culture gets around to not demanding to stare over your shoulder for 8 hours...

:smith:

Not to turn this into anecdotal work culture thread, but your last point is why I'm coming up on ten years with my current company, to Aargytehpirate's question.

Salary has doubled in that time and I'm a telecommuter full time, I value working from the comfort of my home without micromanagerial oversight... Well beyond what my next move in my industry (that I dislike and am actively trying to get out of) would compensate me.

I guess the positive of this is that there are well known, enormous US corporations that embrace the evolution of work culture in this fashion so it's not ALL doom and gloom on that front.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
:getin:

quote:

Lockheed Martin’s machinists union members made it clear Saturday that they support a strike against the aeronautic giant if a contract agreement can’t be reached in the next few weeks that adequately boosts their wages while also protecting healthcare and pension benefits.

The International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers District Lodge 776, which represents about 2,600 workers at the Lockheed plant west of Fort Worth, met for about an hour at the Will Rogers auditorium before voting 1,696 to 32 to approve a strike.

Lockheed’s four-year contract with the union expires July 10, and the union has set July 9 vote for its membership to consider the company’s last, best and final offer. If that deal falls short, union members will decide whether to walk a picket line.

“I’m ready to strike. They are taking everything away from us,” said David Darlock, who installs plumbing in the F-35’s wings. “They are disrespecting us.”

In a proposal made to Lockheed last week, union leaders asked for a longer contract — from July 2016 to April 2021 — that increases pay 38 percent. The machinists also want $7,500 in cost-of-living adjustments and a $5,000 signing bonus, among other things.

more at link

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yes.

The problem isn't Lewandowski -- it's with Trump himself. They can say that it's Lewnadowski's fault they have 30 paid staffers and no fundraising efforts, but the truth is that ultimately, it comes down to Trump himself not being able to admit he isn't the smartest guy in the room and that he's way the gently caress in over his head.
Lewandowski always came off as an enabler to all of that, though. From the kids' perspective, it's one less obstacle to getting Trump to act more "presidential" even if you and I know that's not going to actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emdash posted:

hahahahaha

• Locked thread