Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
When you see those statistics saying "the average Americans throws away X thousand pounds of food every year!", remember that people like him are dragging the average way up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Devian666 posted:

I see he also talks about food waste. Is it some sort of tradition to buy so much food that you just throw it away?

It's all salad ingredients but I swear honey THIS TIME I'm going to take that salad to work and start eating better I MEAN IT THIS TIME

*orders wings with coworkers again*

e: I swear I am not projecting myself on some internet stranger I totally never do this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We make a menu each week, shop for it and as a result have zero food waste.

Most people just go to the store and impulse purchase tons of fruit and stuff which they leave in the fridge to rot. Especially grapes and oranges.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I can only imagine bottles of nice wine figure into that bill as well

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4o17if/college_senior_want_to_take_out_a_12k_loan_for_a/ posted:

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student in his senior year. I'm going to graduate with approximately $25k in debt.
Yesterday someone put up a pristine 1970 Chevelle SS for sale by my house. He's asking 12 stacks for it. It's a Texas car so no rust or rot on the body. Motor is a 327, not original but it runs.
I'm working an internship with an engineering firm, making about 20/hour (full time), so about 2k per month after taxes. I want to get a loan to buy the car, let it sit in a garage for a year until I graduate, then be able to pay for insurance and upgrades once I get hired as an actual engineer.
This car is worth 15-20k. I know it's unwise to ever take on debt. But this has been my dream car since I was 16 and I don't think I'll come across a steal like this anytime soon. Sometimes in life it's worth it to spend that hard earned money.
Please let me know your opinions on this. You guys have a little more experience in life and in loans than I do. I'll post a picture of the car in a moment.

The car in question: http://imgur.com/a/UibYu *Quark voice* it's a faaaaaake

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

quote:

Paypal (Delivery food): $575

Maybe they're just really generous tippers :unsmith:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Youth Decay posted:

This engineer is pretty loving retarded to spend >$10k on a 40 year old car. Plus he's going to let it rot further in a garage.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

I'm the "everything work*" on the for sale sign

Edit: should have zoomed in, it's just an s, but I want to believe

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Youth Decay posted:

How can you tell? Genuinely curious here, I know nothing about old cars.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Devian666 posted:

I thought I was overspending by purchasing $50 of luxury food items yesterday. I see I'm out of my league with at least $3500/month on gently caress knows what. I see he also talks about food waste. Is it some sort of tradition to buy so much food that you just throw it away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn4Frslsq8M

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

cowofwar posted:

Most people just go to the store and impulse purchase tons of fruit and stuff which they leave in the fridge to rot. Especially grapes and oranges.

Hear hear.

My mother keeps buying pumpkin over and over, which keeps rotting in the fridge, until it eventually gets thrown in the compost, and the cycle repeats again.

The less said about the watermelon, the better.

It used to really annoy me, but it's not really my problem now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

maybe they're using the safeway delivery rather than going to the store to get it, that has a bunch of markup included in every item as well as a $13 delivery fee

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How the gently caress do you get to having two kids who didn't die in infancy and not know basic poo poo like how to grocery shop? Is it just a testament to the hardiness of the species?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

NancyPants posted:

How the gently caress do you get to having two kids who didn't die in infancy and not know basic poo poo like how to grocery shop? Is it just a testament to the hardiness of the species?

I think it's more about a lack of pressure. They can afford to spend that much, so they do. Maybe they can't afford it comfortably, but there hasn't been enough pressure to force them to do anything about it. Now, there's something causing them to actually address the issue.

Having said that, if you can't figure out how to get your monthly food budget for four people under $3,800, you're bordering on actual mental retardation. "Hmm... $400 per month in Starbucks coffee... $500 per month in Cheetos and Slim Jims from Walgreens... $500 per month having food delivered to the house because I'm not in the mood for Cheetos and Slim Jims... I just don't know where to start trimming the fat from this budget!" [Throws hands up in exasperation]

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Alternatively, a person can always make stuff with over-ripe fruit or wilting vegetables if they're willing to cook something other than the three recipes they mastered in college.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The difference in cost between cooking for one from scratch and buying ready made processed poo poo gets astronomical when you add people. With the former you add about 20% per person, with the latter it's a multiple. Presumably they never adjusted the way they cook while transitioning between single, couple and family.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Any of you guys following the 'my housemate is a wannabe slumlord' thread? It's concluded...

Forceholy posted:

Just got a text from M about the room. O took it down. I don't know if management got to him or if he saw the light of his stupidity or if he took it down in a huff because he couldn't get any buyers. All I know is that there is no more room. Not that it matters, anyway. We're all moving out this week. Sorry you guys are not gonna get to see O get his just deserts. I'm just ready to move on.

Oh I wish I were a fly on the wall for this conversation...

Forceholy posted:

I can only give you the highlights. All the players included:
O, the motherfucker in question

M, a Sociology major who is also taking an electrical apprenticeship in DTLA, grew up in Compton, kinda rough around the edges, but a good dude

B, an English major who wants to teach English like his parents. Santa Barbara Native. Nicest dude on the planet. Only Caucasian here.

And me.

The discussion itself was pretty short and O won't budge. Most of the discussion, he repeated that this room is here to stay and if we didn't like it, there's the door.

He claimed to be a Gangbanger and former drug dealer. M, who grew up around that life, and knowing him the longest, called him on his poo poo. He's just some middle class kid from San Diego who maybe sold a bit of weed and listens to too much Gangsta rap.

O claimed to know building inspectors that owed him favors and would let this fly. Talked to a lawyer and said this was good (as he was reading and re-reading the housing contract to make sure it was).

"Apartments and houses have the same building code. " (I actually don't know if this is true.)

"Are you an inspector, Forceholy? Do you know building code? I have friends who do. They've been doing this for years and they told me everything is up to code, so you need to shut your loving mouth"

O claimed that he would pay our security deposits himself if anything should happen:jerkbag:

"Who are you going to complain to? The manager? She hasn't been here for years. It's only her old rear end dad who collects checks in this dump. I could have this whole complex condemned if I wanted to. " (I did get in touch with her. She's pissed at him).

"By going along with this, I can save you $30 on your rent.":shepspends:

"I don't care if you guys stay or leave, this stays. I'm not worried if you do leave. I have plenty of renters and interested parties waiting to take your spots."

Me: "So you're gonna sublet the room and take the money for yourself as a wannabe slumlord?"
O: "Yeah."
Me: "There is no manager on earth that will be happy with that deal."
O: "That's the way the game us played. That's how real estate in the real world is played. Look it up."

He also claimed that he was gonna hook B up with a raise at the non profit they work at. He actually can't. O's sister, who gave O his job, is the only one who can do that. He's just bullshiting.

In the end, M, B and myself decided to consider this a lost cause and to look for a new place. I let them know I let management know, so we'll see what happens there.

I can't believe someone with a Masters degree can be this dumb.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think it's more about a lack of pressure. They can afford to spend that much, so they do. Maybe they can't afford it comfortably, but there hasn't been enough pressure to force them to do anything about it. Now, there's something causing them to actually address the issue.

Having said that, if you can't figure out how to get your monthly food budget for four people under $3,800, you're bordering on actual mental retardation. "Hmm... $400 per month in Starbucks coffee... $500 per month in Cheetos and Slim Jims from Walgreens... $500 per month having food delivered to the house because I'm not in the mood for Cheetos and Slim Jims... I just don't know where to start trimming the fat from this budget!" [Throws hands up in exasperation]

Honestly the starbucks offends me the least in that. $400 per month is $10/pp/day. It's a mountain of money, but it's not the problem. It's two drinks/day or a drink and a sandwich. As I recall they're spending $2,400/month at the grocery store. That is $1,000 more than you would spend if you exclusively shopped at whole foods with a budget of $100/person/week. I want to know how much these people make, or how much credit card debt they're in, that an extra $2,000/month on groceries isn't putting a serious strain on their finances. I assume they just aren't paying into retirement and have no savings.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mocking Bird posted:

I can only imagine bottles of nice wine figure into that bill as well
Or hard alcohol.

FrozenVent posted:

How can you tell? Genuinely curious here, I know nothing about old cars.
I know nothing about GM's but I do know SS's have special motors and a 327 isn't special. Google says that model SS should have a 396.

Again without knowing poo poo about this, I assume its overpriced at 12k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To me the most amazing part of spending that much money is that they are literally pissing and making GBS threads out over 100 dollars a day, every single day.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

And more than 10 of that is on Starbucks, accelerating the process

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

To me the most amazing part of spending that much money is that they are literally pissing and making GBS threads out over 100 dollars a day, every single day.

It seems more likely that they're just throwing out a shitload of spoiled food. Probably they buy a bunch of meat (meat is the only thing I can think of where you can rack up a grocery bill that high, or high end wine and other alcohol), plan on cooking it, then order delivery food instead, the meat goes bad and they toss it.

The $350 on Starbucks is actually the least offensive thing about that budget. Sure, it's not necessary, but it's also not the problem when you're spending $2k a month at grocery stores. My mind boggles on how to spend that much.

It's like they're trying to play Supermarket Sweep, but the twist is they have to pay for it all.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I'm sure those people are idiots, but let me give you a comparison:

I just put the last six months of transactions in my pivot table and it turns out that in that time, my family of four spent $12472 on food (grocery and restaurants), not including alcohol bought to take home (I categorize that as entertainment).

Holy poo poo, that's $2078 a month!

Holy poo poo, that's $69 a day!

Holy poo poo, that's $5.77 per meal per person!

Oh wait, that actually sounds pretty reasonable. Families with growing children don't survive on Ramen and frozen pizza.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
500 per person per month isn't reasonable. Sorry. It doesn't cost anywhere near that much to have stuff that's not ramen / frozen pizza.

For $5.77 per meal you could literally eat a fast food restaurant meal every meal, or have a whole loaf of bread with a small jar of peanut butter. It's kind of insane.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the appropriate percentage of net income to spend on food?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Kids need fewer calories than you, and you're probably not going out to restaurants nearly as often. What are you wasting your money on? Maybe you're like my sister who buys her toddler craptons of packaged 100% organic Gogurts that he just squirts all over the couch.

Subjunctive, why on earth would it be a percentage of income? Do you need to eat more if you're a lawyer than if you're a janitor or something? We average spend $350/per person each month, and that's with going out to eat probably 3-4 times a week in a very HCOL area. And we waste a lot of food because we're lovely cooks. If you're trying to budget, I don't think $200-300 per person is unreasonable at all.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

High Lord Elbow posted:

I just put the last six months of transactions in my pivot table and it turns out that in that time, my family of four spent $12472 on food (grocery and restaurants), not including alcohol bought to take home (I categorize that as entertainment).

Oh wait, that actually sounds pretty reasonable. Families with growing children don't survive on Ramen and frozen pizza.
No, they don't. But you should be easily able to get that number below $4. We do $3.33 Canadian without trying that hard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

What's the appropriate percentage of net income to spend on food?

Back in the Greatest Generation Greatest Depression days it was 36%. It's now 10%.

There's a reason we're all fat fucks. If food was this cheap back then, it would've been fatties storming the beaches at Normandy getting shot by fat Germans barely fitting in their concrete pillboxes.

moana posted:

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Kids need fewer calories than you, and you're probably not going out to restaurants nearly as often. What are you wasting your money on? Maybe you're like my sister who buys her toddler craptons of packaged 100% organic Gogurts that he just squirts all over the couch.

Maybe little kids. When they hit puberty they easily eat more than a grown overweight adult.

My 11 year old daughter will be sitting there eating lunch and asking for details about dinner. I can't even imagine what it's like with a boy.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 20, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moana posted:

Subjunctive, why on earth would it be a percentage of income? Do you need to eat more if you're a lawyer than if you're a janitor or something? We average spend $350/per person each month, and that's with going out to eat probably 3-4 times a week in a very HCOL area.

No, and you don't take up more space if you're a lawyer than a janitor, but we express housing in terms percentage of income. I'm just trying to figure out what the Responsible Amount is. (I like to eat fish, steak and fresh berries, I fear I might be overinvesting in my food enjoyment.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

(I like to eat fish, steak and fresh berries, I fear I might be overinvesting in my food enjoyment.)
Who gives a poo poo as long as you're hitting your financial goals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's what I figured, but then we got into the $10-on-coffee-deserves-a-stoning stuff and I wasn't sure what the rightthink was any more.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

This. Also, eating lots of fish and berries has a lot of health benefits. I know it inflates your grocery bill but, -shrug-, we all decide what we are willing to cut back on to afford the things which we prioritize.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

That's what I figured, but then we got into the $10-on-coffee-deserves-a-stoning stuff and I wasn't sure what the rightthink was any more.
I don't subscribe to the min-maxing "calories/$" gamification that some goons take to their food (and overall) budgets. Some people need a regular fixed budget for grocery staples, and then splurging on food comes out of some sort of discretionary budget or something. That works for them.

Find a system that works for you, and as long as you're hitting your financial goals (and the goals are reasonable, which is the bigger overall consideration to me) then keep on doing your thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Great, you're about half of what the BWM story that was linked. No poo poo that yours seems more reasonable, because it is more reasonable!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The BFC "Bad With Money" thread.

e: I just tried to add up food spending, expecting us to be more than 2000/mo (for five of us) because I am rich and give no shits, but I don't think we are anywhere near that.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 20, 2016

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

moana posted:

Subjunctive, why on earth would it be a percentage of income? Do you need to eat more if you're a lawyer than if you're a janitor or something? We average spend $350/per person each month, and that's with going out to eat probably 3-4 times a week in a very HCOL area. And we waste a lot of food because we're lovely cooks. If you're trying to budget, I don't think $200-300 per person is unreasonable at all.

If you spend $350/person while eating out 12-15 times a month, then your restaurant choices aren't that expensive. From what I've seen, some of the people who can afford it start going to $50-100 per meal places rather than $10 per meal. Especially if people in their social circle also make a lot of money. Some of them also get personal chefs or someone who does both cooking and childcare.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

e: quoted wrong poster

High Lord Elbow posted:

How do you even spend $500 a month per person on food? Do you solely/predominantly buy convenience items or do you need special food? Do you throw out half of it?

Over the last 3 months my husband and I spent on average $700 a month on food between groceries, restaurants, and alcohol consumed out of the house. Fully $76 of that was my husband eating out for breakfast and/or lunch. $366 of that was groceries, for the two of us. Our at-home meals contain grains less than half the time, and when we do buy them they are expensive because I have to get the gluten free kind (on top of his normal stuff) which can be as much as 8 times the equivalent product, or we buy pre-portioned rice to limit the quantity, which is also expensive compared to a bag from the Asian market. I often buy pork which is like $5 a pound because it's pre-sliced super thin for stir fry (will stop doing THAT now that I see that figure), I can't remember the last time I made a hamburger instead of buying them pre-made, and we eat steak way more than I'm going to admit. Husband won't eat tofu because he's convinced it'll give him boobs and I'm done arguing about it because I also believe some stupid poo poo so we'll let it ride. If you can do math, you can see what we spent on eating and drinking out. I spend $25 every 2 months on a box of protein bars so I have something easily packed that I can replace a meal with if I need to (and because I'm lazy), and he buys them singly and spends like $15 a month on them.

How did two active adults spend less per person, including an embarrassing figure for eating and drinking out, than a family with children? Does it require teenaged boys that need to put down 5000 calories a day or something?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 20, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are we including bars in the food costs? Because I usually drop $100 each weekend on bars. Then again that's the majority of my "food" costs. I basically spend another $140 in groceries for the month and that $100 includes eating out during those bar nights.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

NancyPants posted:

How do you even spend $500 a month per person on food? Do you solely/predominantly buy convenience items or do you need special food? Do you throw out half of it?

It's just nice restaurants. We had a busy month with going out with friends, and around here any nominally not 'hole in the wall' nice restaurant is going to be $40-50 a head after tax and generous tip. We had 4 dinners out, which came to about $300. Both of us have 2-3 work lunches a month which is about $15-20 per meal coming to $100. Then $600 on groceries for the rest of the month.

This is not typical of course. We budgeted and paid out of our discretionaries for it, we're usually around low $700's for a typical month. But just how it can happen in a relatively reasonable manner.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are we including bars in the food costs? Because I usually drop $100 each weekend on bars. Then again that's the majority of my "food" costs. I basically spend another $140 in groceries for the month and that $100 includes eating out during those bar nights.

Yeah I never count my alcohol spending in groceries because I have fancy taste in wine. Whoops. I buy handles of hard alcohol and pregame with friends to lower my bar spending.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

We spend 900/month of my wife, myself and 4 children. That includes formula for the twins.

500 per person seems like you're just making it rain at the butcher counter daily.

• Locked thread