Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GameCube posted:

lol. check this out: the icon for the clock app on the iphone. you know how it shows the real time on the icon? well if you put it in a folder, it doesn't. but then you click the folder and it zooms in, and the icon changes. more tim garbage. it sucks

what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

GameCube posted:

lol. check this out: the icon for the clock app on the iphone. you know how it shows the real time on the icon? well if you put it in a folder, it doesn't. but then you click the folder and it zooms in, and the icon changes. more tim garbage. it sucks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

iOS is Dog poo poo Garbage

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

please seek help

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

GameCube posted:

actually it's the most advanced mobile operating system ever created

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

please seek help

turn your monitor on. lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

note the calendar icon that does show the correct date even when shrunk. glaring consistency flaws like this one are why apple is losing worldwide. steve would have never allowed this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

actually it's the most advanced mobile operating system ever created

I'm going to make my own android fork and every time any other company releases a patch to their mobile operating system, I'm going to increment my version number by .01 and release a new build. That way I'll always have the most advanced mobile operating system on the planet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GameCube posted:

turn your monitor on. lol

what?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

GameCube posted:

note the calendar icon that does show the correct date even when shrunk. glaring consistency flaws like this one are why apple is losing worldwide. steve would have never allowed this.

the gently caress are you on about even that nested icon is like 6 pixels wide there's no way it would be legible at all without the arms bolded like that in a fixed "clock like" position

it's literally intentional to be that way you loving moron

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

the gently caress are you on about even that nested icon is like 6 pixels wide there's no way it would be legible at all without the arms bolded like that in a fixed "clock like" position

it's literally intentional to be that way you loving moron

if it's illegible, then how can you tell that the arms are in the wrong position? like the spider and the fly, you've fallen right into my trap.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

two clocks. lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My iPhone has been getting stuck in 1x mode lately when it comes out of no service so I have to toggle airplane mode to force it to reconnect to LTE.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

My iPhone has been getting stuck in 1x mode lately when it comes out of no service so I have to toggle airplane mode to force it to reconnect to LTE.

*in mentally ill apple zealot voice* uuuuuh, you're holding it wrong. lol. the Apple iPhone is perfect in every way

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

GameCube posted:

*in mentally ill apple zealot voice* uuuuuh, you're holding it wrong. lol. the Apple iPhone is perfect in every way

agreed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the hosed Up Clock Icon is just another dead canary in a heap of innumerable canary corpses.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

zen death robot posted:

I'm just going to prepare you for the fact that a bunch of people are gonna tell you it's because you have the incorrect carrier or something like that

nay. tis the aids-infested failOS, wrapped in objectively inferior hardware. tia & hth

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

GameCube posted:

this is actually a new healthkit feature to diagnose autism

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

this happens to me sometimes. thank you jony for making it easy to toggle airplane mode with the bottom control center

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

mine does this too and its super loving irritating, like back when i would park in a garage during the day i would be hard resetting my phone when i came out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is God Damned Shameful that a "heh, look at that" easter egg feature like the clock icon changing with the time has become an angry rant when it isn't carried through in every possible manner even when it makes no sense

i remember thinking "that's real fuckin neato" when apple first showed that minimized movies still played in the dock icon, but i have never once taken advantage of that feature for any purpose. i couldn't give two shits if it doesn't work all the time perfectly. clocks work the same way.

this is why the most effective companies never listen to their users

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

this is why the most effective companies never listen to their users

the one thing steve jobs was consistently right about : don't listen to the users, they're idiots

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the one thing steve jobs was consistently right about : don't listen to the users, they're idiots

well at the very least they're usually focused on the wrong things. like a microscopic clock in a folder not being animated to save battery.

no sane person cares about things like that and if apple focused a ton of energy on useless poo poo like that, they'd be in more trouble

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

when ios 7 came out yospos flipped its poo poo over that icon being animated because "lol two clocks"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

well at the very least they're usually focused on the wrong things. like a microscopic clock in a folder not being animated to save battery.

no sane person cares about things like that and if apple focused a ton of energy on useless poo poo like that, they'd be in more trouble

in defending apple's inconsistencies, you've stumbled on the exact reason it shouldn't be animated at all - but you won't admit this, because it would mean that the Apple iPhone is imperfect.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah that little animated clock hand is just draining the gently caress outta the battery im sure

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

THC posted:

yeah that little animated clock hand is just draining the gently caress outta the battery im sure

i mean its not, but its just obvious that they're saving some cycles or something by not animating it when you can't even read it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

now i sit back, triumphant, and watch as the brain-damaged apple zealots contradict themselves whilst trying to construct a defense of their beloved iPhone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

i like to play flight simulators and that community is legendarily awful about the useless poo poo they demand from the developers.

about 8 years ago one of the major players started development on a sequel to their ww2 flight sim, and started soliciting suggestions from the "community" on their forums. some of the greatest hits i remember were

- the flashes of fire coming from the plane's exhaust pipes (too fast to see individually at any engine speed other than idle) need to match the plane's cylinder firing order
- you have modeled the radio-direction-finder antenna on this aircraft three inches too far to the aft; this total lack of professionalism has ruined flight sims for me forever
- your airplane's appearance should track its damage realistically over the course of the entire game, with its textures dynamically updating to represent repaired areas based on where individual bullets impacted
- when you fly low over a field, cows should scatter realistically according to a herd model, here is a scientific paper modeling this behavior
- if your plane crashes, you should have to play a mini-game about escaping german patrols, and then there is a 24 hour time out while you "recuperate in hospital"

in the end the game ran like garbage because the devs had spent so much time modeling how machine gun barrel flexure resonance would affect accuracy when firing a 4:1 mixture of explosive and tracer rounds with varying masses, and no time testing or optimizing the code, and no fun was had by anyone

in conclusion: never listen to a user

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

zen death robot posted:

there's no benefit in animating the clock icon

um, actually, Apple did a thing, so it must be right, whatever it is they did.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and in a mega lol, there was a big angry bunch of spergposting a day or two after release where they all complained that the Spitfire's carburetor system wasn't modeled properly because it was cutting out under negative-G loads too soon, and HOW could the developers get this so WRONG when ALL THE OTHER SIMULATORS had it figured out already and this was RUINING their IMMERSION.

then a dev came around and posted all of the graphs they had made by testing an actual flying spitfire in actual negative-g situations and demonstrated that the modeled behavior was in fact the most accurate there had ever been by a long shot

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2m3ynf/request_remove_sb_stock_live_clock_animation/

quote:

Try it yourself and you will see. When you are stationary on the springboard page containing the live clock icon (from Apple's stock clock app), CPU usage of backboardd is 4-5% higher than when you are stationary on a different springboard page.

THC posted:

Last Chance posted:

i mean its not, but its just obvious that they're saving some cycles or something by not animating it when you can't even read it

"i mean obviously the thing is good, because its apple. it couldnt possibly be bad." wrong, bitches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we're at the point now where we are literally janitoring our Apple iPhones to remove an unnecessary second clock in order to save battery life. and yet iOS 10 looks to be even Androidier.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

actually nobody is doing that except autists who posts on reddit about jailbreaking

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"actually, it's okay that my inconsistently animated clock icon drains my battery for no good reason, because i'm not a Reddit Autist MRA Neckbeard" - the cry of a wounded Apple Boy, struggling to defend his favorite telephone operating system.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

stop digging your heels in just because of your initial bad post, this is all fantastically unininteresting

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"stop pointing out flaws in my favorite phone operating system in the Your Operating System is a Piece Of poo poo subforum :qq:" - the defeated Apple Boy, begging for mercy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't even know what folder my clock app is in, much less whether it is animating or not

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

speaking of wastes of battery life, best buy's giving away apple watches for fifty bucks with a new phone now. that's how bad it's gotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The bad posts... they're coming from inside the thread !!

• Locked thread