Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

Ralph has a new video on lovely "paranormal investigator" shows. Watch it now before it gets a copyright takedown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0WFjaQ5PY

Chaos D1 did a pretty great video on Paranormal State a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OIJs3v2fF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

He really has.

For anyone out of the loop Hbomberguy uploaded another video about Sargon of Akkad and how to read a published study.

That guy might be the worst one yet. He's already in the comments on youtube. Hbomb found the perfect place to be a gadfly.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
You can think Independence Day is bad, but I don't see how anyone can not have fun watching it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

You can think Independence Day is bad, but I don't see how anyone can not have fun watching it.

This is my take on it too. Independence Day is godawful dumb, helped set a bad precedent in filmmaking, but I always have fun watching it, especially the big dumb climax. I feel the same way about Street Fighter; it's garbage and it dented a lot of otherwise talented peoples' careers for a bit (Ming-Na Wen, anyone?), but I can never not smile while watching it because it's still a fun watch, flaws and all.

E:

BigRed0427 posted:

For anyone out of the loop Hbomberguy uploaded another video about Sargon of Akkad and how to read a published study.

Jesus Christ, Naram-Sin of Akkad is one hilariously dumb motherfucker :newlol:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 20, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I found Independence Day to be uninspired and boring. :shrug:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, you'll always have the Star Wars prequels to sate you.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack Gladney posted:

That guy might be the worst one yet. He's already in the comments on youtube. Hbomb found the perfect place to be a gadfly.

"Oh god Sargon humiliated himself in the comments again, how long before he deletes this comment too? All it took last time was pointing out that he didn't finish high school."

Some of the comments at Sargon are pure gold, holy hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

It was dope as hell as a kid. It doesn't hold up and is completely boring and annoying overall. I think out of the thousand characters in the film, only Smiths, Pullman's and Goldblum's characters are alright. Too bad the movie isn't exclusively about them.

Music is great though, and it's a drat shame the new one is just the most generic hack sounding poo poo straight out of a Kennedy Space Center attraction.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

It was dope as hell as a kid. It doesn't hold up and is completely boring and annoying overall. I think out of the thousand characters in the film, only Smiths, Pullman's and Goldblum's characters are alright. Too bad the movie isn't exclusively about them.

Music is great though, and it's a drat shame the new one is just the most generic hack sounding poo poo straight out of a Kennedy Space Center attraction.

I hated it as a kid and now have softened with age to a derisive 'meh'.

I think one of the things is I'm not American, so the stupid patriotism is a major turn-off.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Y'know. I'm thinking back to Jim Sterling's latest video where he made fun of people getting mad about different opinions.
God. I just. I can't imagine why. Hmmmmmmmm.

Modern Warfare 3 is a 9.5
Vanquish is 5 out of 10
Mario Kart 7 is also 5 out of 10

Come at him.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 20, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think one of the things is I'm not American, so the stupid patriotism is a major turn-off.

The only ad I've seen for the new movie comes with a straight up US army advertisement as part of it, it's pretty gross and I didn't even know a new one was coming until then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheMaestroso posted:

It's basically a huge budget B movie and it's great.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Paging Infamous Sphere,

There's a thread on another forum I go to trying to find the earliest mainstream positive (or at least intended to be positive) portrayals of LGBTQ characters. It can be slightly coded, due to laws at various times, as long as a significant number of people would understand what they were getting at. We're talking mostly semi-contemporary Anglosphere (or at least Western) stuff, probably late 17 or 1800s at the earliest, not "well, there's this ancient Greek play...". I figured you may have an idea here. All the films listed in The Celluloid Closet have already been mentioned as a starting point. But there's still books/stage theater/music/musical theater/television/etc to tackle.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

Y'know. I'm thinking back to Jim Sterling's latest video where he made fun of people getting mad about different opinions.

Vanquish is 5 out of 10

Come at him.

I'll come at him:

Numbered review scores are dumb. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kim Justice released part 2 on her series on the rise and fall of Peter Molyneux.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tracula posted:

Vanquish is 5 out of 10

Come at him.

I have a copy of MW3 waiting in the wings so I can finally see what all the fuss is about. :D

But I'm also doing a Thing on Call of Duty and the transition from CoD1 all the way up to the MW trilogy, so.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hated it as a kid and now have softened with age to a derisive 'meh'.

Neither is Roland Emmerich

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

CelticPredator posted:

I agree, Smith Pullman and Goldblum are the only characters worth caring about (Brent Spiner does play a good comedc role in it as well, but you don't really care that he dies). I also like the model work, the model shot of the white House exploding from the trailer is really well done. It's not good, but 11 year old me loved the spectacle of it. The sequel has me intrigued with Bill Pullman's crazy hobo beard, Goldblum Goldbluming it up and Brent Spiner returning from the grave. Don't know if it's a Netlfix rental though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, thinking further on it, my hate for Independence Day comes mostly from the fact I saw it when I was a movie snob back in my teenage years. I also hated the Matrix because it mixed genres back then ("There shouldn't be a chosen one storyline in Sci-Fi dammit!") I had not yet learned to love the cheese.

Maybe if I rewatched it now I could enjoy it in all it's glorious stupidity. Still haye the speech though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Her?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was 8 when the movie came out, I was living in Georgia, and the same summer it came out were the Atlanta Olympics, so I remember it pretty fondly from childhood. Seeing bits and pieces of it again (I don't think I've actually sat down and watched it all the way through since it came out on DVD around 2000-ish) it is aggressively dumb but watchable. I think I've been reluctant to watch it again because of how badly "Stargate" has held up for me. Loved that movie as a kid, but I watched that movie a few years ago and hoo boy is that hot garbage.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Ronald Emmerich makes fun moves, and does them much better than Micheal Bay. Maybe it's because Emmerich is European, we don't have the uncomfortable jingosim that Bay has. Emmerich is pretty open about the fact he just wants you to have a good time, even if the movie isn't great - he seems much less cynical than Bay is. He makes big, fun action films, and that's that.

Except Stargate. Man, that movie is boring.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yessiree, that's correct.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I can't believe I mentioned Roland Emmerich without linking this amazing bit about his actual home and all the weird poo poo he has in it. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2008/oct/25/roland-emmerich-london-home

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldMemes posted:

Don't worry, they're making another one!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Previously on Arrested Development...
https://vimeo.com/66596535

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Yardbomb posted:

Yessiree, that's correct.

All right, I will take your word for it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Yardbomb posted:

The only ad I've seen for the new movie comes with a straight up US army advertisement as part of it, it's pretty gross and I didn't even know a new one was coming until then.
That's basically because in Hollywood if you want to use US Military assets (ie Tanks and Helicopters), the Department of Defense has to look over the script and approve of the film's portrayal of the US Military and will add stuff to make the movie a recruitment tool.

I mean ID4 2 has online advertisements about you joining the Earth Defense forces that lead you to Army/Navy/Air Force recruitment sites.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

I just realized this. Why is Independence Day 2 not coming out July 4th weekend?

Because it's shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Though seriously, the only thing running July 4th weekend is Tarzan.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Related, There was suppose to be a New Best of The Worst up yesterday or today. It's being delayed for technical reasons. :( I wanna know what caused two riots dammit!

Going from the preview screenshot on twitter, one of the films is this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlPkwOMRBE

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean ID4 2 has online advertisements about you joining the Earth Defense forces that lead you to Army/Navy/Air Force recruitment sites.

That's messed up. It should lead to the page for Earth Defense Force 4.1: Shadow of New Despair.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Takoluka posted:

That's messed up. It should lead to the page for XCom 2

Fixed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldMemes posted:

Ronald Emmerich makes fun moves, and does them much better than Micheal Bay. Maybe it's because Emmerich is European, we don't have the uncomfortable jingosim that Bay has. Emmerich is pretty open about the fact he just wants you to have a good time, even if the movie isn't great - he seems much less cynical than Bay is. He makes big, fun action films, and that's that.

I really don't agree. Emmerich's films are pretty, generic and pretty dull with very little life to them. I mean, yeah Bay does those cynical trash Transformers movies, but I'd take Bad Boys 1-2, The Rock, Pain and Gain, 13 Hours, over any of Emmerich's films. They at least have some personality to them.

Mostly because I hate Emmerich's ensemble cast style, when those characters rarely intersect. Like 2012 is just 50% random characters loving around and then it ends. We really don't need to see the adventures of rich lady and her dog, or...uh....I don't remember anything about that movie, i realized as I type this. Except that one scene where the guy falls off trying to save the dog? I think? I don't know. But I re-watched Godzilla last night and the worst crime isn't it got the creature wrong...it's that it's really boring. Nick is the most nebbish, stupid character ever made, and every line is delivered so poorly by Brodrick. What is he trying to do there? I can't place it. But it's super annoying. And Audrey is like, a legit bad person all around. She stands him up at his wedding (?), lies to him, steals his story, gets him kicked out of New York....like, jeez Roland.

Like Independence Day, the only characters worth caring about are Hank Azaria's, Jean Reno's, and uh....uhhhhhhh.......

it's a bad movie. Like all his movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

That's basically because in Hollywood if you want to use US Military assets (ie Tanks and Helicopters), the Department of Defense has to look over the script and approve of the film's portrayal of the US Military and will add stuff to make the movie a recruitment tool.

Didn't Roland say that the military wouldn't help with the first one because he wouldn't remove references to Area 51, or did 14-year-old me fall for marketing hooey?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I really don't agree. Emmerich's films are pretty, generic and pretty dull with very little life to them. I mean, yeah Bay does those cynical trash Transformers movies, but I'd take Bad Boys 1-2, The Rock, Pain and Gain, 13 Hours, over any of Emmerich's films. They at least have some personality to them.

Mostly because I hate Emmerich's ensemble cast style, when those characters rarely intersect. Like 2012 is just 50% random characters loving around and then it ends. We really don't need to see the adventures of rich lady and her dog, or...uh....I don't remember anything about that movie, i realized as I type this. Except that one scene where the guy falls off trying to save the dog? I think? I don't know. But I re-watched Godzilla last night and the worst crime isn't it got the creature wrong...it's that it's really boring. Nick is the most nebbish, stupid character ever made, and every line is delivered so poorly by Brodrick. What is he trying to do there? I can't place it. But it's super annoying. And Audrey is like, a legit bad person all around. She stands him up at his wedding (?), lies to him, steals his story, gets him kicked out of New York....like, jeez Roland.

Like Independence Day, the only characters worth caring about are Hank Azaria's, Jean Reno's, and uh....uhhhhhhh.......

it's a bad movie. Like all his movies.

I'm just gonna re-post this (and re-watch it cause it's great):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3uYipLshD4

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Oh yeah, Emmerich's films are bad, but he wants you to have goofy brainless action movie fun. Bay seems more cynical, especially after the 90s - his movies are a product first and foremost, entertainment second. Emmerich tries to put a bit more personality in his movies.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: And this falls under "Cool stuff on Youtube" And I apologize if people have seen these already. This was a viral series that I somehow missed. Don't hug me. I'm scared Just jump right into it if you wan't something unsettling. They posted what I think is their final episode today.

This is the story of MSlam,
The ugliest goon on the site,
He couldn't make friends,
Had no plans on weekends,
So he posted there all day and night,
He posted there all day and night,
He posted there all day and night,

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Specifically on the Vita.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldMemes posted:

Oh yeah, Emmerich's films are bad, but he wants you to have goofy brainless action movie fun. Bay seems more cynical, especially after the 90s - his movies are a product first and foremost, entertainment second. Emmerich tries to put a bit more personality in his movies.

13 Hours and Pain and Gain are great and not cynical at all. Well, Pain and Gain is cynical, but in a different way. It's more it's part of the text of the film itself.

Emmrich tried to do something like that with Stonewall, but I heard it was lovely and pretty offensive? Someone let me know what the deal was with that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

13 Hours and Pain and Gain are great and not cynical at all. Well, Pain and Gain is cynical, but in a different way. It's more it's part of the text of the film itself.

Emmrich tried to do something like that with Stonewall, but I heard it was lovely and pretty offensive? Someone let me know what the deal was with that thing

Defamer had a really good lengthy write up on how utterly insulting Stonewall was as an alleged LGBT film. The most damning part was how much of an intellectual coward Emmerich was being as a gay man himself by making such a blatantly straight-washed film for the sake of mass market appeal.

• Locked thread