Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
Doing IT janitor work for 15 years has caused extreme apathy towards what I used to consider as a hobby..

As a rule I do no sidework at all. At one time I was accepting everyone who came to me. But it got to the point where many nights a week, after spending all day working on company systems, I would spend the entire night working on whatever piece of poo poo, 10+ year old, BestBuy/Walmart special someone brought me. Cleared up what I had and stopped accepting side jobs entirely. Best decision I ever made.

Hell I barely want to fix my OWN machines anymore. Last time I had a major issue with my main home/gaming desktop, I let it sit for 2 weeks before I even felt like looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I still put a deal of care into my own computer and for the most part I enjoy it, but if the problem gets too detailed or time consuming I say fuckit and build a new one.

And if someone wants me to work on theirs, I can quickly come up with a price tag that'll make it worth my time. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while I get a few hundred bucks for something simple. It also depends on who's asking. I had someone who offered me $100 to set up a regular home router, and the first thing he did when I arrived was offer me a beer and plate of cookies. Sure beats most people who just kinda point to their computer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A-loving-MEN to this - I enjoy gaming and messing around on my computers at home but I've got to the point of playing stupid whenever someone asks me to fix theirs. They always gripe about cost to take it to a computer shop to fix, but expect someone they know (or barely know) to do everything for free because they happen to know that person from work or friends or whatever. I've had enough people ask me to help that I started telling them it's a minimum $50 for me to check/diagnose, then $20/hour after that for any fixes. Otherwise, take that poo poo to Geek Squad and leave me the gently caress alone, I don't need to be blamed for something stupid you did that I either couldn't fix, or ended up fixing and you broke it again.

Cheap - Fast - Good.

Pick 2.

Most people pick free and good. Which means I'll fit them in sometime around 20422062.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And if someone wants me to work on theirs, I can quickly come up with a price tag that'll make it worth my time. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while I get a few hundred bucks for something simple. It also depends on who's asking. I had someone who offered me $100 to set up a regular home router, and the first thing he did when I arrived was offer me a beer and plate of cookies. Sure beats most people who just kinda point to their computer.

Barter system for the win. Had some old parts kicking around. A buddy's a plumber and needed some parts. He got some of my (still decent) old bits, and in exchange, installed my new dishwasher and fixed an outside faucet. Both of which I can do, but fuckit, the pro can do it faster/better/with less chance of me screwing up. I was more than happy to make that deal.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Siochain posted:

Barter system for the win. Had some old parts kicking around. A buddy's a plumber and needed some parts. He got some of my (still decent) old bits, and in exchange, installed my new dishwasher and fixed an outside faucet. Both of which I can do, but fuckit, the pro can do it faster/better/with less chance of me screwing up. I was more than happy to make that deal.

Yuuuup, I do this all the time. Sure, I can fix X thing on my car, Y plumbing issue, or Z electrical issue, but someone else can do it faster, so I'll trade my services, and fixing whatever dinky little thing on their machine will STILL be faster than me doing whatever other work myself would have been.

Although I do the "free" thing for my parents, although I generally get food out of the deal.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MF_James posted:

Yuuuup, I do this all the time. Sure, I can fix X thing on my car, Y plumbing issue, or Z electrical issue, but someone else can do it faster, so I'll trade my services, and fixing whatever dinky little thing on their machine will STILL be faster than me doing whatever other work myself would have been.

Although I do the "free" thing for my parents, although I generally get food out of the deal.

That to. There's a few select friends, plus some family, I'll do things for. But I always get taken care of in some way (food, goods, cash, work on something, etc.) I just don't do things for random strangers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

Nothing you do for your parents is ever free.

They paid for that poo poo years ago.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

Well yeah obviously.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

My father is the CIO (for lack of a better term) for a small manufacturing group, and I've had hour-long conversations about VMware capacity planning with him. I keep threatening to send him an invoice.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
I stick to the barter system, and only for people I know not to be total schmucks. I always feel accepting money makes it an actual professional service and thus comes with a responsibility to continue providing service and/or a warranty on it. I don't know if its because I have issues asking people for money or what.

Giving me baked goods or alcohol in exchange for me rescuing your pictures and resume from a hosed-up shitbox seems like a better deal in the long-run.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I do free tech support for my parents, since they put me through college. I just wish that Microsoft would stop making it so loving hard to do so.

Speaking of: Does anyone know if the older versions of Office will still work with Windows 10, or do they force you into the dumb subscription plan version?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How old is old? 2010 works great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of: Does anyone know if the older versions of Office will still work with Windows 10, or do they force you into the dumb subscription plan version?

You can run all the way back to Office 95 if you really want to. I personally use Office 2010.

You can also totally just buy regular Office 2016 if you want instead of the subscription version.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
2010 home and student. She was thinking about upgrading since Microsoft is pulling support for the Windows7 mail app and it's compatibility with hotmail. But was worried because most of her home business stuff is locked in office files.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kurieg posted:

I do free tech support for my parents, since they put me through college. I just wish that Microsoft would stop making it so loving hard to do so.

You can still just buy a license instead of subscribing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

odiv posted:

I I need like the file equivalent of Lorem Ipsum in MS Office/PDF formats, inoffensive and nonsense.

ill send you some of my call notes

Kurieg posted:

2010 home and student. She was thinking about upgrading since Microsoft is pulling support for the Windows7 mail app and it's compatibility with hotmail. But was worried because most of her home business stuff is locked in office files.

Why isn't she using outlook if she has office? Does home and student not come with it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ill send you some of my call notes

Why isn't she using outlook if she has office? Does home and student not come with it?
It does not.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I always put effort into fixing my home main gaming machine because if it's working then I get to work at home one day a week.

They can pry my home day from my cold, dead fingers. It is the greatest thing in the world.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I did freelance work once while unemployed. It was for my aunt. I was expecting to get $50-75, she paid me $300. She's also basically the nicest person in the world.

I tried helping my grandmother when I was 15-16, I think her internet was out. I couldn't do anything because I didn't have any passwords, IIRC. After we got home, she called several times asking what I had done. Presumably something had changed. I had to tell my mother every time she called that I hadn't done anything, because I couldn't do anything, because I didn't have the passwords. That's what I generally expect things to be like when helping people.

E: that reminds me, I need to make a note to fill out a 1099-MISC or whatever that form is called.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I may be a dirty developer, but holy poo poo do I need to say how absurdly nice the Delphix software my place just put in place recently is. It is a database virtualization software, that lets you make virtual copies of a database. I have to do a lot of datafixes for third party software we support, and the fact that with that software I can just revert my personal database copy to any point in time prior in just like 3 minutes to test a datafix is so great. Plus I can keep my personal copy of the database up to date easier with simple 3 minute refreshes instead of having to wait an hour for a full restore.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
When I was a teen I used to have to help my grandma out with her computer; fair enough, I used to get a free dinner out of it and some ice cream. The problem was that she would also tell her friends I would help them out, and it would almost always be me on some old rear end machine downloading windows updates on dialup for 4 hours and getting like $10 at the end of it.

I eventually had to start dodging my grandma, because I was too much of a chickenshit to just tell her outright I hated helping her friends, and eventually she got the message that I didn't love her anymore.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: that reminds me, I need to make a note to fill out a 1099-MISC or whatever that form is called.

Eh, you did a favor for your aunt, she gave you a gift. It's $300, not $30,000.

e: Unless she wants to expense it, I guess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

iajanus posted:

I always put effort into fixing my home main gaming machine because if it's working then I get to work at home one day a week.

They can pry my home day from my cold, dead fingers. It is the greatest thing in the world.

I work 3 days a week from home and it is indeed amazing friend. :smug::hf::smug:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Kurieg posted:

About 6 years ago I switched my mother to a linux box.

She uses the computer for two things. 1) Reading email 2) Facebook. One of her weaknesses is happily clicking attachments from activity #1. She now tells are her friends that she's a 'lunux' user.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Eh, you did a favor for your aunt, she gave you a gift. It's $300, not $30,000.

e: Unless she wants to expense it, I guess.

I reported it on my unemployment insurance paperwork. Probably not going to change how much I owe, anyway.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I work 3 days a week from home and it is indeed amazing friend. :smug::hf::smug:

I haven't worked in the office for 2.5 years and I will never give this up I don't care if I'm a CJ

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

LethalGeek posted:

I haven't worked in the office for 2.5 years and I will never give this up I don't care if I'm a CJ

One of the senior developers on my team did a great job of sabotaging everyone else's ability to work from home by working from home a majority of the time for the past 3 months with no real work done to show for it. Although my boss did say that I did a great job getting stuff done the week I worked from home due to illness.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I never really do stuff for friends, hell if I can avoid it not even parents. At least my dad is computer literate and therefore buffers most of my mom's problems. Only one who can call me anytime is a neighboring lady, she gives me € 10+ for the most benign poo poo so I don't mind it.
Although, I have helped junior techs with their home problems before as long as it's as easy as connecting via Teamviewer and opening some ports on ther router. Obviously only if we were hanging out on TS anyway.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Thats what I mean. Most people, no matter what they do for a living, don't want to do it at home.

Thank you. I thought I was weird for not working on my computer stuff at home. Every time i got home. I just didn't feel like working on it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Now I'm concerned because I *do* enjoy doing this poo poo at home.

Am, am I a boring person? :ohdear:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Red Square Bear posted:

Now I'm concerned because I *do* enjoy doing this poo poo at home.

Am, am I a boring person? :ohdear:

I'd say it depends on what you do besides working on your computer?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SEKCobra posted:

I'd say it depends on what you do besides working on your computer?

My wife and I have a two year old. There is no time besides "Work" "Sleep" "Play with two year old" and "dick with computer after two year old is asleep because gently caress getting him back to bed"...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Fixing poo poo at home is the worst, because you come home after a hard days work and just want to browse facebook or read forums and other boring things.

But oh no the home router and powerline adapters aren't working, no fun tonight!
(My HTPC has the occasional bugbear of sound straight up not working coincidentally most times when we want to watch a movie with guests over, toslink reciever/speakers on Ubuntu is just weird)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
My cabling at home is a poo poo show (but it works), and my gaming rig was bought pre-assembled. I just can't be arsed to do that poo poo myself any more.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Conversely, when I get around to setting up my home servers, I'll be spinning up an instance of OSticket or something so I can keep track of all the poo poo the wifey wants me to do.

I've already got a honey-do list as long as my dick, so it'll be nice to reply to any request with "did you put in a ticket"
:goonsay:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Conversely, when I get around to setting up my home servers, I'll be spinning up an instance of OSticket or something so I can keep track of all the poo poo the wifey wants me to do.

I've already got a honey-do list as long as my dick, so it'll be nice to reply to any request with "did you put in a ticket"

You should probably finish that single item on your list then!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You might find trello to be less of a hassle to setup.

Get your family doing scrum lol

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

You should probably finish that single item on your list then!

Measures in pixels.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Measures in pixels.

This.

KoRMaK posted:

You might find trello to be less of a hassle to setup.

Get your family doing scrum lol
Well right now it's just the wife and I, and she pretty much just kaizen's the poo poo out of my day anyway.
Unfortunately most of the house projects are waterfall (huge loving Gantt chart), so nothing is ever gonna get done until we have some money to throw at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DigitalMocking posted:

About 6 years ago I switched my mother to a linux box.

She uses the computer for two things. 1) Reading email 2) Facebook. One of her weaknesses is happily clicking attachments from activity #1. She now tells are her friends that she's a 'lunux' user.

She is the exact use case for a Chromebook.

• Locked thread