Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What is that, a screen shot for ants?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meatpimp posted:

Or he was pinned, with his torso crushed, thinking "Man, I should NOT have ignored that recall notice on my car's transmission shifter."

You joke, but FCA has launched an official investigation because of the extreme similarities between the ~50 other injuries and his death. We all knew it would get someone killed, but I wasn't expecting it to be so peacefully murderous

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36580731

quote:

A police told CBS News that it appeared Yelchin had not properly put the car in park mode.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had found there was a safety risk if drivers got out of some Fiat Chrysler models without first putting them in park mode, Fiat Chrysler said in April.

Hmm.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tide - that was some A+ drunk posting and I really miss my one friend that used to text me on the weekends when he would start getting blitzed. Happy Father's Day a day late to all the AI dads. My kids were the same little stinkers they always are, but my daughter's card had scribbles, an outline of her hand, and her name spelled out all by herself (with the "r" backwards) and it was adorable. Had my parents over and my brother and his family over and we smoked meat.

Third attempt at smoking with the Traeger and I will say that I could get used to eating meats like this every single weekend. It is fantastic. Picture is hard for scale but this is about ten pounds of ribs.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Yet another reason to buy a manual car with as few dumb gadgets as possible

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:golfclap:

Edit: And now I want a FRC again.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 20, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gimpsuitjones posted:

Yet another reason to buy a manual car with as few dumb gadgets as possible

Yep, if it's a manual car that rolls over you, at least you can die knowing it was your own damned fault.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Other than the proliferation of electronic handbrakes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10 install on a new SSD...

The only thing that I can find locally is W10 32 bit. Can I upgrade that somehow? Is there a cost?

This is kind of a last ditch effort to save a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. It currently has W10 install but I *think* the install is corrupted (and/or the HDD is bad) and I can't get the drat thing to install from W7 disk. I halfway think the current W10 has some sort of refusal check if I'm trying to downgrade to a very early copy of W7 (doesn't even have SP1 on it).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Upgrade it to what?

If you want to just wipe the drive and then try to install Windows 7, you can install gparted on a flash drive, boot from it, and then try to install again.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

Upgrade it to what?

If you want to just wipe the drive and then try to install Windows 7, you can install gparted on a flash drive, boot from it, and then try to install again.

I was (am?) expecting to have to buy W10...but the only thing locally is the 32 bit version and I need the 64 bit.

I have no idea what gparted is so off to google i go!

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
https://vimeo.com/167433178

AutomotiveInsanity.mov

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tide posted:

Windows 10 install on a new SSD...

Since you already have a valid key, you can try following a guide like this:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-10-usb-flash-drive-guide/

I haven't done it myself, I assume you need to find the Win 10 key and write it down somewhere first.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have the old W7 key, but can't get to the W10 key because I can't get past the initial loading screen :(

also, all my other computers are Apple products. And I can't use my work laptop to create the bootable USB drive.

Damnit.

I may simply be able to replace the HDD and try and force a boot from the attached USB DVD. That might work; unless there's some sort of W10 bios check or something.

Hell I don't know.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 20, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tide posted:

I have the old W7 key, but can't get to the W10 key because I can't get past the initial loading screen :(

also, all my other computers are Apple products. And I can't use my work laptop to create the bootable USB drive.

Damnit.

You can explain this to MS support, can't you? (e: didn't mean to sound rude, am genuinely asking) Certainly if you registered the W10 install. Last resort, you can buy a shipped USB https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ola posted:

You can explain this to MS support, can't you? (e: didn't mean to sound rude, am genuinely asking) Certainly if you registered the W10 install. Last resort, you can buy a shipped USB https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100

Not sure I'll get support from MS since
a) The machine originally came with W8
b) I downgraded to W7
c) Then went through the automatic update for W10

I'll give it a shot though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

So basically "Idiots don't operate car like intended, they could die". Even an manual die hard like me understands PUT THE drat THING IN PARK AND MAKE SURE THE HANDBRAKE IS PROPERLY SET BEFORE EXITING WESSEL

InitialDave posted:

Other than the proliferation of electronic handbrakes.

Manual handbrakes are equally likely to fail. However the loss of handbrake turns SUCKS and is the reason why electronic handbrakes can go die in a fire

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I think you just need to download the iso for 64 bit windows 10.

http://m.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

Try this if you have a spare flash drive.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

So I think you just need to download the iso for 64 bit windows 10.

http://m.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

Try this if you have a spare flash drive.

OOOh nice I'll give that a shot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So basically "Idiots don't operate car like intended, they could die". Even an manual die hard like me understands PUT THE drat THING IN PARK AND MAKE SURE THE HANDBRAKE IS PROPERLY SET BEFORE EXITING WESSEL
The issue is it's completely unclear from the shifter position whether you're in park or not. You gotta ask yourself, punk, did you nudge it forward three positions, or just two?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Manual handbrakes are equally likely to fail. However the loss of handbrake turns SUCKS and is the reason why electronic handbrakes can go die in a fire
That, plus the whole layer of additional complexity I'd say can't be any more reliable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

RCR could probably run a pretty solid series or two just with what the regular posters here own.

I keep wanting to submit my MSP for review, but A) who knows when he'll be all the way down in Florida again and B) it's Orlando, not many great roads around here to show off its strengths.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did we scare off aggro crag after his little tire problem a few weeks ago?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tide posted:

OOOh nice I'll give that a shot.

It's piss simple:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

Run the upgrade to x32 Win 10 - this converts your key to a Win 10 key

Download the win10 media creation tool onto a USB

Boot from USB and do a fresh install.

Only hiccup I had is that you I had to right-click format my SSD on the first screen of the install

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

did we scare off aggro crag after his little tire problem a few weeks ago?

He's probably mad that I had a better quality post about piss than any of his.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait what's I miss with SAC

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spog posted:

It's piss simple:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

Run the upgrade to x32 Win 10 - this converts your key to a Win 10 key

Download the win10 media creation tool onto a USB

Boot from USB and do a fresh install.

Only hiccup I had is that you I had to right-click format my SSD on the first screen of the install

He's already got a license for Win10. Tide, the way Win10 is licensed, there aren't keys you need to keep track of, really. When Win10 is first installed, Microsoft registers your hardware in some database they have as having a valid license, so you can install it without knowing anything in the future. Just use their media creation tool (or that direct link to an iso someone posted), install it, and it'll self-activate once it gets online because you are already on the list as having a valid license from your earlier install of Win10.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Congrats, but do they do any actual reviewing?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was cool. The car looked like an extended Peugeot 205

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You never realize just how great high speed internet is until you get taken back to DSL speeds. Hard to believe DSL is still marketed as high speed.

Oddly I got ~15mbit while tethering last night, which is plenty for general web stuff, but aside from that it's been 0.5-1.5mbit most of the time.

Tide posted:

Not sure I'll get support from MS since
a) The machine originally came with W8
b) I downgraded to W7
c) Then went through the automatic update for W10

I'll give it a shot though.

Since you did C, it may auto activate without prompting for a key (if it activated before crashing). If it doesn't, use your Windows 7 key. It's supposed to work with the original OS key if you took advantage of the free upgrade.

Worst case, I have an extra (legal) Win10 license I'm not using that you're welcome to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Question.

Say you go out to dinner with a few friends and you kindly and politely ask the hostess not seat you right next to the table with the screaming child, is that considered rude?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Assuming it's not super-packed and you're nice about it I don't see a problem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A tiny bit, since it fucks up the hostess's order and she has to re-balance which waiters get how many tables, etc. Also, a screaming baby is like a smelly person -- you're supposed to pretend like you don't notice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Assuming it's not super-packed and you're nice about it I don't see a problem.

I was exceedingly nice about it. That didn't stop the hostess and my friend's fiance from being super bitchy about it. Is it so wrong that I want to enjoy my meal without a screaming child beside me? It's not like I went on a rant about bad parenting or how they shouldn't take their child out in public. I simply wanted to sit on the other side of the building.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've asked the hostess to be seated away from children before and didn't have any issues. Is it that much of an issue to want to be able to hear the people you're at dinner with?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

I've asked the hostess to be seated away from children before and didn't have any issues. Is it that much of an issue to want to be able to hear the people you're at dinner with?

I could have made a bigger issue out of it, hell in the past I've asked to moved because of wobbly tables. I just wanted to be away from the child throwing a tantrum.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I mean, it sounds like the hostess and your friend's fiance were kinda jerks about it too, don't get me wrong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Once I asked nicely to be reseated away from some guy who was having a huge profane meltdown on his cellphone and they responded by ejecting the guy with the cellphone.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Wait what's I miss with SAC

He posted about some bad decisions he made wrt a tire on his car that had a nail in it. AI proceeded to be a dick and also some slightly bad advice (and some good advice, but mostly just super uppity posting) got thrown around. Don't think he's posted since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

I mean, it sounds like the hostess and your friend's fiance were kinda jerks about it too, don't get me wrong.

They were! That's what made me angry! I was going to go off on the hostess because when I worked in the service industry, the job of the hostess was to greet and find acceptable seating.

• Locked thread