Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

widespread posted:

Yep! Don't worry about rank and instead worry about all the MURDERDEATHKILL bits that also involve being a sneaky bugger or something.

Also remember to try and be the Hillbilly in the corn field. Wonder if there's a way to see the map you're gonna be in.

Don't think so, considering there's offerings that slightly increase the chance of getting a particular map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

widespread posted:

Yep! Don't worry about rank and instead worry about all the MURDERDEATHKILL bits that also involve being a sneaky bugger or something.

Also remember to try and be the Hillbilly in the corn field. Wonder if there's a way to see the map you're gonna be in.

As a survivor you can burn offerings which increase the chance of popping the map. Otherwise not really. Hillbilly works on other maps too, it's just a bigger pain in the rear end. He's not the Wraith where if you get some of the Junkyard maps you might as well go play Cowbell Hero for 3-4 minutes if it's not rank 20 level 1s with no gear you're against.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Broken as this game might be I'm still really interested in seeing what new maps and killers come down the pipe

and hoping the game stays alive long enough for that to happen; taking your launch week off to go gently caress around with your games journalist friends at e3 was not a good business decision guys

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I want a Thing character which can disguise itself as a survivor. It could attack by breaking disguise, or it can stay disguised and attempt to 'heal' people which would instantly down them instead.

Or a Ring inspired killer which can make a ghost of itself appear and charge forward, complete with heartbeat to flush people out.

Or a werewolf which has enhanced tracking skills can jump through windows and crates, but with the downside of not being as fast as other killers and having an awkward pounce attack which is very easy to whiff. Also colourblind or something I guess? Tracks by movement? I don't know, there's lots of potential.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I want one that can suddenly appear out of any closet on the map (either a teleport where you can see all the closets and M2 them from anywhere, or a super-fast 'teleport' movement that goes through walls but you can't see anything until you're out of it)

Ideally with the exact same sound a survivor makes leaving a closet, and the heartbeat doesn't kick in until a moment after the animation finishes

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Death Eater all up in this bitch

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Or a Ring inspired killer which can make a ghost of itself appear and charge forward, complete with heartbeat to flush people out.

Before this game came out, there was a similar concept game I think that may have been freeware. It was a mansion/insane asylum map wjere the hunted had to find keys to escape and win. There was a wraith like ghost that had like kinda of a hazy vision and couldnt really see the survivors. The gimmick was movement, and saw only the sound/noise clouds similar to how the killer sees them in DBD. THat wraith was like perma cloaked due to the vision handicap.

Another ghost was reminiscent of the Ring. She had like a random teleport when out of the view of a survivor ability. She moved slower than the survivors and rather relied on the surprise element. Her main gimmick was something of building a rage meter. The longer you were in sight of survivors, the more the meter would build. Eventually when the bar was filled, she would run at like 200% speed with a blood curling scream.

I hope the DBD devs can develop similar ideas to this.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

UberJew posted:

Broken as this game might be I'm still really interested in seeing what new maps and killers come down the pipe

and hoping the game stays alive long enough for that to happen; taking your launch week off to go gently caress around with your games journalist friends at e3 was not a good business decision guys

If they don't address the massive disadvantages killers have against survivors before group queue becomes a thing, I doubt we'll be seeing a whole lot.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
A 'The Thing' themed setting and monster would own but I have no idea how you'd honestly make it work.

Something like out of Aliens would own though, lemme play my hypersexualized dildo-head space monster.

Alternately Mr X from RE2. Just literally Mr. X. Can just walk through pallets instead of needing to break them.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I was thinking a dude who can throw a javelin that does normal hit damage and can pin you to terrain if there's something behind you.

Well, it was a good run but I think we're hitting critical mass. Almost everybody playing survivor has figured out how to clown the killer for points and every single survivor I've seen in lobby has been rank 13 or below and level 25+.

Be interesting to see if the devs can patch the most egregious poo poo and get the game under control or if it's gonna be Dead by Next Week.

This is what happens when you release your game before it's done and immediately stop working on it to go to E3.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 20, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Mister Bup posted:

I was thinking a dude who can throw a javelin that does normal hit damage and can pin you to terrain if there's something behind you.

Well, it was a good run but I think we're hitting critical mass. Almost everybody playing survivor has figured out how to clown the killer for points and every single survivor I've seen in lobby has been rank 13 or below and level 25+.

Be interesting to see if the devs can patch the most egregious poo poo and get the game under control or if it's gonna be Dead by Next Week.

This is what happens when you release your game before it's done and immediately stop working on it to go to E3.

At least there's the Jason game. :v:

Though really he's the monster I want to play. Slow walk head games all day everyday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unhappy Meal posted:

At least there's the Jason game. :v:

Though really he's the monster I want to play. Slow walk head games all day everyday.

A co-worker of mine got to play Friday the 13th and was absolutely full to the brim of praise for it, so at least it has potential.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Really? The E3 demo did not impress me, especially with memories of DBD fresh in my mind.

LIke, it looks really cool when everything's scripted and it's being played to emphasize the atmosphere and its strengths, but as soon as you put real players in all that's gonna fly out the window.

The thing I keep coming back to is the way Cape Mans died. He ran into the house, opened the window, to make it look like he went out there, then hid under the bed to fake Jason out. Except Jason knows he's still in the house because it highlights when someone's in a building. And even if he left Jason could see the pings when he ran.

Maybe the teleport thing will make more sense once they explain it more. I can see it being great for sick Jason plays. Spot a guy heading off the path to fake you out, make him sweat a bit by looking around where the tracks end, then walk off and just as he thinks he's in the clear machete to the back of the head.

Or, more likely, you're running away and suddenly Jason teleports right in front of you. Or you're hiding and you see Jason suddenly cease to exist. You could make it so you can't teleport into or out of someone's line of sight but then you can just use that to tell if someone's looking at you. I can sort of see some kind of dynamic there, give him some kind of indicator that someone's watching him and disable morph. Then the survivor has to balance stealth with situational awareness. Look away so Jason doesn't know you're there, look up and he's gone. Uh oh.

I dunno, I'm thinking too hard.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

man, got a game with no rank 20's somehow, we had 3 jakes and everyone brought items for once (I almost never bring items cuz hoarding and I can't count on teammates so I just look for a chest usually), anyway we took this fuckin wraith to juke central, I think he only hit one person the whole game (me, near the end) then the gates opened and I healed up (like 10 feet from the guy out of sight behind a barrel because he was incapable of sticking to somebody)

then he ragequit

lame

Hope they figure out a good way to deal with people just quitting the match, we should at least get the points we earned up to that point IMO. At least if a survivor quits the game continues, but if you care about rank as a killer it's even worse since they are suddenly at a huge disadvantage in terms of being able to meet the point requirement by losing out on the sacrifice

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Adding a new score tier to keep your pip but not gain one would help some of the problem. It's still poo poo to not rank up because somebody got mad, but at least you wouldn't lose one. Would also make sure you don't lose pips for winning the game as survivor, which is also ridiculous.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah, 7k would probably be good for breaking even, high enough that you did well but not amazing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

They really should make the "No trap" area around the hooks larger. I get that you -can- trap people coming to save their friends and that is also good, but putting it directly under the feet of the hooked person is just poo poo.

Yes I am salty that saving people is a pain in the rear end.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Just follow him to the hook and pull the guy off while he's setting the trap. Or pull him off while he's putting him on. Or get in his face before he starts placing the trap, tank a hit, adn then pull him off while he's recovering.

There are so many ways to clown the killer on the hook that trapping under isn't even on my radar. Get rid of trapping under and bodyblocking the hook when all the dumb poo poo survivors can do is fixed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Bup posted:

Just follow him to the hook and pull the guy off while he's setting the trap. Or pull him off while he's putting him on. Or get in his face before he starts placing the trap, tank a hit, adn then pull him off while he's recovering.

There are so many ways to clown the killer on the hook that trapping under isn't even on my radar. Get rid of trapping under and bodyblocking the hook when all the dumb poo poo survivors can do is fixed.

It's just bizarre how balls out aggressive survivors have to be to really make things work. The game sets itself up as an "avoid the monster" game but you really have to be actively chasing down the monster half the time to get people back/distract/all that.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The game is unfinished, is basically the sum of it. They released it early for E3. The biggest problems are obviously oversights they didn't catch because they didn't fully test and iterate the game's features.

Jukeshack was nerfed because people were using it as a safe zone. Game releases with twelve maps, every single one of which has at least one place that makes the jukeshack look small time. Toolbox was nerfed, add-ons and perks make the toolbox worse than it was before the nerf. Bahroo finds a new way to break the game every day, first bodyblocking the hook and then he found a way to self-heal faster than the killer's attack speed. The game's design philosophy was explicitly described as "no safe zones" "survivors should fear the killer" and mentioned survivors chasing the killer as a bad situation they wanted to avoid. Then the game comes out and look what we've got. Safe zones, the killer's a joke, and survivors are chasing him for points. There's no stealth because stealth isn't worth any points.

They set up the score system to reward slasher movie moments but nobody cares about that poo poo, they just want the biggest number. As bad as the trailer looked I kind of like Friday the 13th's decision to make the rewards for slasher movie moments in-game advantages, like scaring the survivors to activate tracking and stuff. We'll just have to wait and see if it actually pans out or if it's just more exploitable benny hill poo poo.

Rewarding survivor aggression and getting in the killer's face is just another behavior they didn't identify or try to mitigate because they didn't finish making the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What is "bodyblocking the hook" in context of the survivors? In the sense that they stand in front of the hook and don't let you put someone on? Just smack them in the face, I have never had an issue with people trying it and surviving.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

Adding a new score tier to keep your pip but not gain one would help some of the problem. It's still poo poo to not rank up because somebody got mad, but at least you wouldn't lose one. Would also make sure you don't lose pips for winning the game as survivor, which is also ridiculous.

Being able to lose pips for winning as survivor is actually 100% essential. Otherwise you would get "high rank" players who always hide constantly. It is extremely easy to win if all you care about is surviving. Either you hide until your team opens the exit gate, or you go through the hatch when your teammates who were doing stuff get killed. The only way to actually get caught as a survivor is if you are trying to do objectives or help teammates, basically the things that get you the points needed to actually rank up. Game would become a poo poo show if you couldn't lose rank for doing nothing all game.

I have never lost a pip on a single game where I both survived and was genuinely a meaningful contribution to the victory.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What is "bodyblocking the hook" in context of the survivors? In the sense that they stand in front of the hook and don't let you put someone on? Just smack them in the face, I have never had an issue with people trying it and surviving.

No, standing against the guy while he's hooked so they can't get onto the hitbox for unhooking. Like putting the trap where they can't remove it without pulling the guy off the hook.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Had a killer host that apparently gets his internet from Somalia because he was teleporting around like crazy. Opened his steam profile and the only other message on there is someone else telling him to fix his goddamned internet.

Hey guys, maybe not let the dude host if he has 500 ping.

LibbyM posted:

I have never lost a pip on a single game where I both survived and was genuinely a meaningful contribution to the victory.

I have had that happen a few times when I was very sneaky and avoided the monster the whole time, even if I got a few generators by myself.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have had that happen a few times when I was very sneaky and avoided the monster the whole time, even if I got a few generators by myself.

You only need 5000 points (and to escape) to rank up. A generator repair is 1000 on it's own, plus 50 for every good skill check (150 for every great skill check). If you repaired that generator with another person it's another 500 points for a Coop action. 250 for searching any chests.

You are right that if you contribute a fair amount (say repairing 2 of the generators in a good team while the killer didn't do much) you can still fall short of the 5000 points needed, but I think generally there is no significant problem with the point requirements needed to rank up. I can understand if you think maybe at 3000 points you still shouldn't de rank, but we can agree that you definitely need to be able to lose rank even if you escape right? It's totally possible to escape after hiding in a corner that the killer would never check because it's near no generators.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh I agree that you should lose rank if you contribute absolutely nothing. But if the killer can gain rank by just sacrificing one guy then I don't see why repairing one generator and then escaping shouldn't at least keep you at the rank you are currently at

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Oh I agree that you should lose rank if you contribute absolutely nothing. But if the killer can gain rank by just sacrificing one guy then I don't see why repairing one generator and then escaping shouldn't at least keep you at the rank you are currently at

In the beta they actually had a tier where you could maintain your rank and not gain rank (for both survivor and killer). Does anyone remember what point total that was at?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LibbyM posted:

In the beta they actually had a tier where you could maintain your rank and not gain rank (for both survivor and killer). Does anyone remember what point total that was at?

I think that was 3K? Which I liked a lot actually

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Three kills, deranked. One disconnected as soon as I picked him up, two died in the basement being dipshits, Cosmic the rank 1 prestige spent the entire game in the garage with three windows and hatched as soon as I looked away.

The survivors can actually gently caress you over by being so bad you derank. He ran past me as I was coming up the stairs and got pulled off. What can you do? There's no way to milk more points. You just get hosed. I could've tried to get cosmic but he's rank 1 and prestiged. He would've cheesed me in the garage for an hour to get his 8000 boldness points and then disappeared into the hatch.

Again, twice in a row now. Three sacrifices for a derank.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 21, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody playing right now? I just got the game and it'd be nice to get some goon games in.

Name's http://steamcommunity.com/id/TastyLemons

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, you can lose rank sacrificing three people. I only got 6000 points that game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

Yeah, you can lose rank sacrificing three people. I only got 6000 points that game.

Ah, maybe I was wrong. I don't really care about rank so I didn't notice.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mister Bup posted:

Three kills, deranked. One disconnected as soon as I picked him up, two died in the basement being dipshits, Cosmic the rank 1 prestige spent the entire game in the garage with three windows and hatched as soon as I looked away.

The survivors can actually gently caress you over by being so bad you derank. He ran past me as I was coming up the stairs and got pulled off. What can you do? There's no way to milk more points. You just get hosed. I could've tried to get cosmic but he's rank 1 and prestiged. He would've cheesed me in the garage for an hour to get his 8000 boldness points and then disappeared into the hatch.

Again, twice in a row now. Three sacrifices for a derank.

to be fair, the killer also gains points for that boldness cheese - hunter points. if he wants to play the hide and seek game for +250 escape boldness points, keep doing it and you'll keep getting chase points (less than the survivor gets though). If he's the last person left and you're just keeping him pinned down that's one way to farm some points anyway.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I have a love-hate relationship with rank. On the one hand I can't not care about it because it's there and I see it and I'm just as much a slave to chemicals as every other carbon-based lifeform. On the other I think ranking and progression metagames in games like this are always nice dressing over a rotten core. How many dedicated multiplayer games with lots of ranking and progression mechanics can you think of that people are still playing after more than two or three years? League of Legends? And that cements the feeling I get about this kind of thing, because while I loving hate league of legends I can't deny that it's a good game. If everyone had all heroes and unlimited runes and masteries and there was no progression you know people would still be playing the poo poo out of it.

And then you've got games like quake and unreal tournament, wolfenstein ET, brood war, that have none of that poo poo and people are still playing them after years and years, because they're good games. They don't have to rely on carefully calculated dopamine regimens to keep you playing so they have staying power, whereas most of the multiplayer games that come out now start shrinking as soon as people lose interest in the skinner box.

Should really just play survivor when I play this, at least until poo poo's fixed. Don't really care about rank on survivor cause the way you rank up isn't the way I like to play, and I can just throw my bloodcoins at the killers instead.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 21, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think it's less to do with the ranking and progression being problematic (though they could be, not arguing that one way or the other) and more to do with the fact that the majority of video games that tend to feature these things are franchised to such an extent that the player base naturally drifts away. Call of duty players aren't going to keep playing the previous one when the next edition comes out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Bup posted:

I have a love-hate relationship with rank. On the one hand I can't not care about it because it's there and I see it. On the other I think ranking and progression metagames in games like this are always nice dressing over a rotten core. How many dedicated multiplayer games with lots of ranking and progression mechanics can you think of that people are still playing after more than two or three years? League of Legends? And that cements the feeling I get about this kind of thing, because while I loving hate league of legends I can't deny that it's a good game. If everyone had all heroes and unlimited runes and masteries and there was no progression you know people would still be playing the poo poo out of it.

And then you've got games like quake and unreal tournament, wolfenstein ET, brood war, that have none of that poo poo and people are still playing them after years and years, because they're good games. They don't have to rely on carefully calculated dopamine regimens to keep you playing so they have staying power, whereas most of the multiplayer games that come out now start shrinking as soon as people lose interest in the skinner box.

I mean, ultimately it comes down to "Are you having fun yes/no". I personally don't care much about rank because it doesn't change anything and the system is kind of hosed right now. I personally think that boldness points need a massive buff to the rate that they are gained, but that's just me.

I'm still having fun on both sides of the fence, so I don't really care about most of the minutae. I am sure it will get more frustrating as time goes on, but for now it's good.

In other news, the flashlight sucks.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah, I don't think progression is inherently bad though it can lead to problems by itself. The points system in this was meant to encourage a slasher movie experience but actually caused the opposite because people are more interested in maxing out their scores. I think a lot more games use it to hide that the core gameplay isn't interesting enough to keep people playing for a long time.

Aside from the score problems which can be fixed I actually really like the bloodweb, it's a new way to do things I haven't seen before. It's fun to see what new cool poo poo pops up on the next bloodweb, and for some reason it's even fun to plan out and try to get the best of each web before the entity eats it.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 21, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In other news, the flashlight sucks.

I had a match where I brought in a flashlight because why not. Found a chest, dropped my flashlight to receive... a flashlight.

So I curse the entity and decide to go full-tilt bonkers and go to the basement to check that chest. Drop my flashlight, search the chest...

Another. loving. Flashlight.

If you were allowed to self-hook I'd have done it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

I had a match where I brought in a flashlight because why not. Found a chest, dropped my flashlight to receive... a flashlight.

So I curse the entity and decide to go full-tilt bonkers and go to the basement to check that chest. Drop my flashlight, search the chest...

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to aim it at the Killer's face, without any aim assistance like a reticle, and also you only have five seconds of charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically I have found it easier to add ranks as killer because asking for consistent teamwork is a mistake.

Edit: holy poo poo, an addon that boosts the trappers traps to dying

H2SO4 posted:

You know you don't have to drop to search, the chest item stays there.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread