Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

No Butt Stuff posted:

500 per person seems like you're just making it rain at the butcher counter daily.

man I wish I had the money to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Husband won't eat tofu because he's convinced it'll give him boobs

Great, now I have something else to fear.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

man I wish I had the money to do that

Oh, I don't begrudge anyone for doing so if they have the cash. I'd be up to my eyeballs in high grade meat and seafood.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's too bad there's not a mint for grocery receipts. Wife and I are averaging $650 a month in groceries this year and another $300 a month in restaurants and bars.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rurutia posted:

It's just nice restaurants. We had a busy month with going out with friends, and around here any nominally not 'hole in the wall' nice restaurant is going to be $40-50 a head after tax and generous tip. We had 4 dinners out, which came to about $300. Both of us have 2-3 work lunches a month which is about $15-20 per meal coming to $100. Then $600 on groceries for the rest of the month.

This is not typical of course. We budgeted and paid out of our discretionaries for it, we're usually around low $700's for a typical month. But just how it can happen in a relatively reasonable manner.

Fair enough, I missed that the post I quoted included restaurants. Still, the original idiots we were making fun of were spending $3000 on groceries + Starbucks and this didn't include restaurants (or alcohol as far as I could tell?). High Lord Elbow, what does your family of 4 spend for groceries per month?

Rurutia, do you guys not drink alcohol when you eat out? If that's the case then I think it makes sense to compare more closely to a family with kids, otherwise having kids will necessarily drive down your price per head unless there's some special food that children eat that I don't know about. Do people take kids to a $40-$50 a head place, unless it's only $40-50 a head because of alcohol?

Spermy Smurf posted:

Great, now I have something else to fear.

Yeah I decided I'd rather have a more harmonious marriage than save $2 on the odd meal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
last time I checked, I spend ~$500/mo as a single guy. $200 of that is my bad habit of $10 lunch meals every workday with co-workers, though. Plus another hundred for eating out a few times a month, but that's solidly discretionary and I'm meeting my savings goals and am reasonably frugal in most other areas.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Yeah the $3000/month guy is very egregious and wasteful. If you read the thread, he has food hoarding tendencies coming from childhood. I was just responding to people talking about how $500/month/person in general is some amazing ridiculous number. I'm not trying to say my case is comparable at all, hahahahaha.

Also, I know you said your $700 number is really bad, but I track our food very carefully and there's very little waste. We're at $700 normally because of our choices (such as me eating a pint of blackberries or blueberries everyday... or buying 3 lbs of tiger prawns at $15/lb for paella...) that we're fully aware of and we're happy with. I think it's just a different perspective that it's OK to spend $$$ on food if it fits your financials and you're aware of the trade off you're making.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 20, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bhodi posted:

my bad habit of $10 lunch meals every workday with co-workers, though... but that's solidly discretionary and I'm meeting my savings goals and am reasonably frugal in most other areas.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo-37912

But no really, I'm guilty of this too with my coworkers and boss, but it's good socializing time that forces a walk outside the office as well as a casual way to discuss work/business beyond just our projects. And like you said, it's all discretionary and isn't impacting my overall financial picture negatively in the slightest.

Or maybe I just can't be bothered to put in the effort/time to prepare and pack lunches because I'm a lazy goon manchild. It's something I'm willing to pay for to not think about.

We actually do a reasonably good job of grocery shopping and cooking at home for dinners. But good, interesting food in a high COL city isn't cheap. gently caress eating rice and beans every day. Good food is just generally something me and my girlfriend are willing to spend money on. But even combined we don't crack $1000/mo...

Trillian posted:

I also wonder whether people are counting their total grocery bills, or just what they spend on actual food?

I do wish there was an easier way to break out actual food item groceries from non-food groceries, short of manually splitting up every receipt when I get home. If I just filter my expenses based on grocery stores the number is definitely inflated by stuff like cleaning supplies, toiletries, and other housewares. And alcohol. But I'm fortunate that that margin of error is ultimately insignificant to my budgeting and savings goals, so ehh :effort:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

You also have to take into account that food cost varies by location. I assume almost everyone here is American, in which case it's probably pretty comparable, but I used to be amazed by the grocery numbers people post here until I went grocery shopping in the US and saw what the prices were like.

I also wonder whether people are counting their total grocery bills, or just what they spend on actual food?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Trillian posted:

I imagine most people count all grocery store purchases as grocery. I break it out for accurate reporting, inaccurate data bugs me too much not to.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I break out toiletries and groceries, and I'm mostly consistent about counting alcohol purchases at the grocery store as fun money. That's detailed enough for my purposes.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Great input - I checked the USDA budget tables for feeding a family of four and even by the most liberal standards, we are nearly doubling it. That surprised me.

I already gave this data to my wife (who does 100% of the shopping) and she agrees she can do better. To her credit, planning meals and shopping accordingly takes time, when she's doing what she does (no job but cares for a special needs child and another kid to boot). If it comes to it, I'd rather she spend the time on the kids and the money on the food. We're still maxing 401k and putting lots in 529s and saving more on top of that, so it's not like we're eating ourselves into bankruptcy.

Hard to break down restaurant vs grocery because our grocery store has one of those cafe things inside where they sell you 35 cents worth of beans for eight bucks. We do that maybe once a week.

My wife and I both eat at restaurants (mine is a company cafeteria) almost daily for lunch. Dinner 1-2 times a week.

And of course, she buys bullshit like pre-sliced melon and deli meat. Again, time vs money. We have less time than money and we put it towards our children's needs.

Still, we can do better, obviously. At the end of the day I'd rather save several hundred dollars than pay someone three bucks to slice a cantaloupe.

High Lord Elbow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 20, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Everyone's individual monthly grocery spending is interesting and all, but how much did each of you spend on your wedding?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moneyball posted:

Everyone's individual monthly grocery spending is interesting and all, but how much did each of you spend on your wedding?

Stupid amounts.

Its me.... I am the bad with money.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Moneyball posted:

$0, eloped!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Yeah the $3000/month guy is very egregious and wasteful. If you read the thread, he has food hoarding tendencies coming from childhood. I was just responding to people talking about how $500/month/person in general is some amazing ridiculous number. I'm not trying to say my case is comparable at all, hahahahaha.

Also, I know you said your $700 number is really bad, but I track our food very carefully and there's very little waste. We're at $700 normally because of our choices (such as me eating a pint of blackberries or blueberries everyday... or buying 3 lbs of tiger prawns at $15/lb for paella...) that we're fully aware of and we're happy with. I think it's just a different perspective that it's OK to spend $$$ on food if it fits your financials and you're aware of the trade off you're making.

Oh no, I don't think $700 is objectively bad though it obviously depends where you live. In our case, we're spending more than we need to for the quality of food we eat, so it's easy to tweak without feeling constrained. As long as you're aware of the costs and you understand the trade you're making, like you said, I think it's perfectly fine.

Also, when I got married, my household income tripled from my perspective. I'm perfectly fine with some amount of lifestyle creep, but I was fairly happy with what I spent as a single person and would like to get closer to it. We've made a lot of progress toward that goal.

SiGmA_X posted:

I imagine most people count all grocery store purchases as grocery. I break it out for accurate reporting, inaccurate data bugs me too much not to.

I do this too, household goods and alcohol are not groceries.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 20, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I spend I'm sure above average on food, but it is concentrated on fine dining which we like to do at least once or twice a weekend. I get 3 free meals at the office during the week. She has a bar for breakfast, cafeteria food for lunch, and we'll either prepare something quick for dinner for her or she'll grab takeout or a meal delivery service. Our grocery costs are probably $75/wk and our overall costs probably average $400-500.

We'll go to nice restaurants twice a weekend usually and do whatever for lunch, maybe at a coffee shop. Good thing neither of us like alcohol much as wine can be a very expensive habit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just for reference, a cooking magazine I just got had a page with figures on grocery store spending, and states the following (sourced from the USDA, Census, a couple other groups):

Average spent in a month on groceries for:
Family of 4: $989
Family of 2: $625
Family of 1: $284

And spending by region per month per person:
Easterners: $444
Westerners: $420
Southerners: $370
Midwesterners: $348

Groceries account for 6% of the family spending, and prices have risen 55% over the past 15 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sirotan posted:

Average spent in a month on groceries for:
Family of 4: $989
Family of 2: $625
Family of 1: $284

And spending by region per month per person:
Easterners: $444
Westerners: $420
Southerners: $370
Midwesterners: $348

How can those be the average person when the per-person divisions of the family average are all less?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Subjunctive posted:

How can those be the average person when the per-person divisions of the family average are all less?

Families of 3 are notorious gluttons

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

The average per person might be based on a single person where the families can get a slight economy of scale going. That's not what I'd expect from the wording but based on the numbers it works.

E: still doesn't make the family of 1 make sense but w/e

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's based on a family of 4. Maybe. It doesn't really specify beyond it being per person per month. :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NancyPants posted:

The average per person might be based on a single person where the families can get a slight economy of scale going. That's not what I'd expect from the wording but based on the numbers it works.

But the average for a family of one is lower than the per-person averages for families of two and four, and lower than the per-person average of all four regions. I don't see how it works based on the numbers at all -- help me out?

Sirotan posted:

I think it's based on a family of 4. Maybe. It doesn't really specify beyond it being per person per month. :iiam:

But if you use the family of four listed right above, that number is also below all four regional averages.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Could be that when you have a partner or kids you are embarrassed by your bachelor lifestyle of subsisting on frozen pizza and Mac & Cheese and have to buy real food which costs more. :iiam:

And in a family of 4 you've got kids, which if they are teenagers are going to eat a gently caress ton. When my brother and I were teenagers my mom could barely keep up with how fast food disappeared off the shelves. Could bring home $100+ of groceries on Monday and by Friday they'd be mostly gone.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Ho boy let me tell you about food spending :words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin::words::spergin:

Also just a reminder that High Lump Elbow, who started this stupid humblebragg derail, is the wealthy goon from upthread who posted about bootstrapping or trickle-down economics or how poors deserve it or something. Pretty sad if you're so much better than us yet need to humblebrag about your grocery bill, dude!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol if you think it's good for the thread to move from food price discussion to class struggle - surely that will make things better

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Weatherman posted:

Also just a reminder that High Lump Elbow, who started this stupid humblebragg derail, is the wealthy goon from upthread who posted about bootstrapping or trickle-down economics or how poors deserve it or something. Pretty sad if you're so much better than us yet need to humblebrag about your grocery bill, dude!

"Someone once committed the unforgivable sin of earning more than my bitter goony self. Better take note and nurse my seething hatred for months!"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

"Someone once committed the unforgivable sin of earning more than my bitter goony self. Better take note and nurse my seething hatred for months!"

Come on man I JUST loving removed you from my ignore list

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

High Lord Elbow posted:

Settle down.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Rurutia posted:

$0, eloped!

You didn't even order a pizza after eloping? What a cheapskate.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

You sound fun

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

You sound fun
That....is kinda what that guy did. Remembering obscure facts about random posters to do epic callouts months later is kinda weird. I mean, I'm full on prodromal and remember all sorts of weird stuff about posters like "dated a crying wheelchair girl" or "carried a printer" or whatever but uhh, I'm not proud of it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rurutia posted:

$0, eloped!

$0, will die alone and unloved!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That....is kinda what that guy did. Remembering obscure facts about random posters to do epic callouts months later is kinda weird. I mean, I'm full on prodromal and remember all sorts of weird stuff about posters like "dated a crying wheelchair girl" or "carried a printer" or whatever but uhh, I'm not proud of it.

I don't think it's weird to remember someone who constantly humble brags in this thread. "Hey it's that rear end in a top hat again" basically. I get remembered for that kinda poo poo all the time on these forums.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Zo posted:

I don't think it's weird to remember someone who constantly humble brags in this thread. "Hey it's that rear end in a top hat again" basically. I get remembered for that kinda poo poo all the time on these forums.
fyi I remember you from diablo 3 auction house thread because....well I don't remember why but basically I was just posturing and actually do remember everything about every poster it rules

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not an obscure fact; it's the guy's entire shtick. He swoops into any discussion of anything vaguely economic to tell you how liberals ruined everything, to lament the plight of the downtrodden job creators who just get the shaft in this country, to mock poor people for not actually being poor enough, and to tell everyone how he's a high earner, and he deserves it. If you see it enough, it sticks.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cool, another page and a half derail on food.

reddit posted:

My mother just informed me that my grandfather asked her for my daughter's social security number because he wants to open up an account. My grandfather has had a shady financial record and I honestly don't trust him. He has been dishonest in the past with family affairs.
A big red flag is that when his wife dies (probably soon) he will be kicked out of her house. I don't know, but I assume he doesn't have a ton of extra money to spare.
My gut tells me to tell him no. I was wondering if there is anything harmful he could do with this information. My wife and I are the only ones who know her SSN and don't plan on sharing. Am I crazy?

Hey guys, my notoriously bwm shifty grandpa wants my new child's SSN, what should I do??

reddit posted:

My credit score is 520. I need 620 at least for my qualification.
I have 3 items on my Trans; An out of SoL (state 4yrs)bank draft from March 2010, $2,100. Medical debt of $4,800. And another medical debt $500.
Equifax shows the same 3 from above, and an additional from Sprint that was closed on their part due to 10yr debt. I have paperwork emailed to me from them showing they closed it.
I make 2880/mo before taxes in CO, I estimated 13.7% taken from my check depending on money made. My monthly bills: Rent $1,100. Car payment 500$. Bills (phone: $80 /electricity $20 /internet $40) $140. Car/Renters Insurance $135. Gas $90 Monthly. Food unknown 1965$ in bills
Any suggestions would be appreciated, I know it's not a fast fix but I want to attempt to restore my credit in 6months but no longer than 1yr.

I want to buy a house with a bottom-of-the-barrel credit score and I have a bunch of unpaid debt and make barely enough to cover debt payments which I'm not currently doing anyway. How can I fix this in 6 months?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's not an obscure fact; it's the guy's entire shtick. He swoops into any discussion of anything vaguely economic to tell you how liberals ruined everything, to lament the plight of the downtrodden job creators who just get the shaft in this country, to mock poor people for not actually being poor enough, and to tell everyone how he's a high earner, and he deserves it. If you see it enough, it sticks.

It also would have totally flown under the radar if he (Elbow) didn't have that dipshit reply at the ready for the slightest criticism

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sirotan posted:

Groceries account for 6% of the family spending, and prices have risen 55% over the past 15 years.
Careful with statements like this because it means the complete opposite if it's not inflation adjusted dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Higgy posted:

Cool, another page and a half derail on food.

Hey guys, my notoriously bwm shifty grandpa wants my new child's SSN, what should I do??

I want to buy a house with a bottom-of-the-barrel credit score and I have a bunch of unpaid debt and make barely enough to cover debt payments which I'm not currently doing anyway. How can I fix this in 6 months?

Hey go on reddit and tell that first guy that it's def safe, he needs it to open up an account for her, after all.

Report back pls. I don't do reddit.

• Locked thread