Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I think "won't fight without 1+ stack advantage" is an exaggeration but the AI is definitely a big bitch boy who will run from a fair fight like it's trying to talk them about Jesus. If it can't gang up on your army to the point you have 30% of the bar or less it would rather just not fight at all and run around making a big rear end in a top hat of itself.

It isn't an exaggeration.

I've had half stack Chaos armies siege Provincial Capitals with an upgraded garrison and a full stack of troops inside and they just starved to death rather than attacking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

dunno if you're modding but I have never had this issue.

Well that's pretty much totalwarhammer.txt, it's described all 3 of the campaigns I've completed so far.

How do yours typically play out? I can't imagine any scenario where the AI would ever engage battles it doesn't have a huge advantage over and run from anything else. I have no aggressive agents and movement boost in owned territory installed, but that's it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Well that's pretty much totalwarhammer.txt, it's described all 3 of the campaigns I've completed so far.

How do yours typically play out? I can't imagine any scenario where the AI would ever engage battles it doesn't have a huge advantage over and run from anything else. I have no aggressive agents and movement boost in owned territory installed, but that's it.

I'm convinced it is related to the Raise Dead bug, do you get those markers when you are playing VC?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

I'm convinced it is related to the Raise Dead bug, do you get those markers when you are playing VC?

I have one currently in Templehof, and it seems to be working.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I have one currently in Templehof, and it seems to be working.

lovely, there goes my theory.

I typically play by Alpha strike. I move in and murder all settlements. They'll hole up in their provincial capital. I'll move my stacks to attack it at once.

Maybe they'll send a stack or two past my lines, ignoring zones of control, and sack a city.

But most of the time they are passive, even during war.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xae posted:

It isn't an exaggeration.

I've had half stack Chaos armies siege Provincial Capitals with an upgraded garrison and a full stack of troops inside and they just starved to death rather than attacking me.

Why would they attack you when they can waste your time and cost you thousands each turn?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

lovely, there goes my theory.

I typically play by Alpha strike. I move in and murder all settlements. They'll hole up in their provincial capital. I'll move my stacks to attack it at once.

Maybe they'll send a stack or two past my lines, ignoring zones of control, and sack a city.

But most of the time they are passive, even during war.

Yep, pretty much. What they try to to for me is run far away and resettle a ruin somewhere. Block army is easily the most important hero skill in the game, IMO. I don't even try to ambush anymore, I just spam block army and try to funnel them into a waiting doomstack.

I mean I still love the game and plan on playing indefinitely but good, heated battles on open ground are so rare. Using lightning strike is really the only way to catch a single full stack with their pants down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Playing as Chaos right now is really lol because a full Chaos stack with any decent tech has a really high power rating so the AI basically never fights without at least two full stacks. But since as Chaos you don't have any cities to backdoor it just breaks the AI's brain. It doesn't want to fight but it also has nowhere else to strike so it just continually retreats as you burn it's whole empire. I've conquered whole regions without a non-garrison fight because the armies just run away or hole up in a city until starved to death.

Most of the world died desperately trying to avoid a fight.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Yep, pretty much. What they try to to for me is run far away and resettle a ruin somewhere. Block army is easily the most important hero skill in the game, IMO. I don't even try to ambush anymore, I just spam block army and try to funnel them into a waiting doomstack.

I mean I still love the game and plan on playing indefinitely but good, heated battles on open ground are so rare. Using lightning strike is really the only way to catch a single full stack with their pants down.

Getting a Lord to Lightning strike is usually my top priority. Otherwise the AI will sit on their capital with 2-3 stacks. With Lightning strike I can at least pick off the extras.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Playing as Chaos right now is really lol because a full Chaos stack with any decent tech has a really high power rating so the AI basically never fights without at least two full stacks. But since as Chaos you don't have any cities to backdoor it just breaks the AI's brain. It doesn't want to fight but it also has nowhere else to strike so it just continually retreats as you burn it's whole empire. I've conquered whole regions without a non-garrison fight because the armies just run away or hole up in a city until starved to death.

Most of the world died desperately trying to avoid a fight.

The AI will try to pick a fight with you but only when you just raised a new army. As soon as you do that you have 3-5 AI armies beelining for that one empty stack from across the map despite not having any way of knowing about its existence.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Right now in my dwarf game I have two armies in the south badlands and greenskins are sending armies at me when they really shouldn't on very hard. I guess I do roam with my armies not at 100% if you all always do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dominicius posted:

The AI will try to pick a fight with you but only when you just raised a new army. As soon as you do that you have 3-5 AI armies beelining for that one empty stack from across the map despite not having any way of knowing about its existence.

Yeah I learned to move 2-3 turns backwards at full March and then after that "screen" the new stack with the old one for a few turns while it recruits.

Or rather, to screen the old stack with the new one. Funny how it works that the most logical thing to do when making a new horde is to gift it 100% of it's parent's army.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've had the AI actually attack me when it's roughly equal on the power bar but not too often. That's on normal and hard though, I don't know if their aggressiveness or whatever changes as you go up in difficulties. It's fun and I wish they'd do it more often even if the optimal strategy is to ignore my army in favour of endlessly sacking my poo poo.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In my greenskin campaign I made an effort to be sure I could hire a bunch of Goblin Big Bosses early. The swarm of them basically annoy my enemies like the AI used to do to me when I played dwarfs. They are good at assassinating, blocking, breaking walls, stopping enemy agents, and clearing corruption. I don't think the shaman agents are nearly as useful, though I like them better as embedded heroes in an army. I think the greenskins really should have an 'orc boss' type of hero too.
i'd like shamans more if they didn't open their skulls every three turns while dancing.

Panfilo posted:

How much better are the Savage Orc variants? I captured one of the Savage ork settlements (with an ally controlling the rest). Its a royal pain in the rear end to ferry these guys up from practically the south pole, so I'm wondering if its worth it to even bother with them.

The one battle I've tried them with they seemed to do well, along with Black orcs which I'm finally using in decent numbers, but definitely get chewed up by arrows pretty bad.

savage orcs are pretty good in the offensive but they melt fast against ranged and in a prolonged fight. So basically, they enhance the boyz' pros and cons for virtually the same cost.

I like to use them as archers and boar units because they don't need the armor, they just need the most dakka and the savages provide exactly that.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Gejnor posted:

Wait, you used terrorgheists on Hellcannons? You know they can't fight back in melee right? The perfect counter for Hellcannons are, believe it or not, normal bats. They will kill hellcannons stonecold dead if they are left alone, and usually they are since chaos just runs into your forces instead.

Huh. I guess I was thinking of Hellcannons in tabletop and fluff that still had a decent melee stat line. Thanks for the info, but really I'll still probably use Vargheists because they have more utility in a 20 unit stack than bats.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gitro posted:

I've had the AI actually attack me when it's roughly equal on the power bar but not too often. That's on normal and hard though, I don't know if their aggressiveness or whatever changes as you go up in difficulties. It's fun and I wish they'd do it more often even if the optimal strategy is to ignore my army in favour of endlessly sacking my poo poo.

I've had the same experience, especially if the AI can catch me after using Forced March.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
When the corruption building for VC refers to adjacent provinces does it mean it has to be adjacent to the borders of the city with the building or adjacent to the province housing the building? Would a corruption building in Schwartzhafen touch the borders adjacent to Templehof, for example?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

When the corruption building for VC refers to adjacent provinces does it mean it has to be adjacent to the borders of the city with the building or adjacent to the province housing the building? Would a corruption building in Schwartzhafen touch the borders adjacent to Templehof, for example?

It means adjacent to the province. Corruption is province-wide.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

This is the corner camp that earned me the win a battle against 10-1 odds cheevo. Many undead were dusted that day, so great were there numbers that the mighty Grudge Thowers ran out of grudge inscribed stones! Many Quarrelers ran out of bolts!

I even have + Ammunition Techs and character abilities, hah.

I can't believe I forgot to take more screenshots :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If it was your last battle then the replay is auto-saved until you fight another.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best way to get the 10-1 battle odds cheevo is to catch an army that you just beat, and disband everyone but your steam tanks/heroes/lord then smash em again.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dominicius posted:

Yeah, that was really obnoxious, especially because infighting keeps you from babysitting and it's like 30 turns before a new lord can start recruiting mid-tier units.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

it's like 30 turns before a new lord can start recruiting mid-tier units.

Don't torture yourself like this. Swap stuff from the old horde to the new.

Like say you make a new horde out of one that Sigvald was leading. Put Sigvald in charge of the new horde, and transfer all his old units over as well. Now Sigvald has his exact same force, which he'll need because can't train anything new for a while, but he is applying his +growth buff to the new horde (every Chaos lord should max horde growth in short order). Meanwhile Dipshit McBansheeBait the level 1 lord is in charge of the old horde, which can train an entire new army on the spot because it has all the buildings.

The only downside is that until you get the new horde developed you are paying big maintenance on that army because you don't have any of upkeep reduction structures. But really you have no business making a new horde without a huge stockpile anyway.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there any confirmed way to tell if you have the raise dead bug early in the game? I did a few battles and took Templehof or whatever but the counter still said 1.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you put Siggy in charge without firing him to the bench for four turns?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you put Siggy in charge without firing him to the bench for four turns?

Well that is something you have to do. But usually there should be at least four turns between "I am going to make a new horde" and "the new horde is up and the old one no longer needs protection". Just replace Siggy with the new lord that is going to take over, wait four turns (easy to do since you want to disengage from the front and replenish anyway), then make the new horde.

Like even if your forget to set it up it's not the end of the world if you have 3 turns or whatever of ~sub optimal growth~

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do Greenskins have the worst research tree? It seems like it, having tried all 5 races. In order from worst to best, in my opinion:

Greenskins, which require you construct a building and require you to research to unlock the Doom Diver and Araknarok Spider. They are the only faction (I think) that needs to just arbitrarily reach a certain point in the upgrade tree just to be able to access units. Their tree is also annoyingly linear forcing you to research stuff that isn't terribly useful just to get to decent things.

Chaos, which requires you to pay money just to access higher tiers of the tree, and have many things heavily split up.

Empire, which also requires specific buildings to unlock various upgrades though at least in this case you're unlikely to have many, if any of those units at that point anyway.

Vampire Counts, which also have a multiple trees between different categories along with an arbitrary 'gating' research on each one that does nothing but unlock the rest of that tree.

Dwarves, who have the most familiar looking tree with a lot of decent options early on. VC and Dwarves are the only two factions that can improve their diplomacy which is also super useful, and in the case of Dwarves you have tons of options to make beaucoup bucks in the long run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have to say. There needs to be a way tk save formations. Its just tedious to line them uo every battle.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Your deployment is probably going to change every battle based on the exact composition of your army (including the condition of various units if any have taken serious losses in recent fighting), your opponent and their composition, whether you are attacking or defending, and the layout of the terrain you are fighting on.

Also turn off/on your autocorrect.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Is raise dead actually bugged or is it just implemented in a weird way? I've had some battles that don't add to the casualty counter on it but from what somebody posted earlier that's because only certain spots on the map actually count. Usually anywhere near/on a settlement should count/generate the raise dead symbol next to it though I'm not actually sure if anywhere in VC territory has one there? Instead, some of the areas within the VC regions have raise dead symbols that will only appear/add to the counter if the fight actually occurred near there.

Assuming there is a more complicated bug on top of the system needing more points that can generate symbols--or just a clearer indication so you can direct your battles towards the ones that exist--a good place to test would be the plains in-between templehof and the starting region minor settlements, sort of north and south of a straight line course. I've had symbols appear in those sorts of spots within VC territory. Maybe those are the boggier looking spots on the map? I'd have to load up an early save to check.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Your deployment is probably going to change every battle based on the exact composition of your army (including the condition of various units if any have taken serious losses in recent fighting), your opponent and their composition, whether you are attacking or defending, and the layout of the terrain you are fighting on.

Also turn off/on your autocorrect.

99% of battles are against near-identical garrisons, though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Decus posted:

Is raise dead actually bugged or is it just implemented in a weird way? I've had some battles that don't add to the casualty counter on it but from what somebody posted earlier that's because only certain spots on the map actually count. Usually anywhere near/on a settlement should count/generate the raise dead symbol next to it though I'm not actually sure if anywhere in VC territory has one there? Instead, some of the areas within the VC regions have raise dead symbols that will only appear/add to the counter if the fight actually occurred near there.

Assuming there is a more complicated bug on top of the system needing more points that can generate symbols--or just a clearer indication so you can direct your battles towards the ones that exist--a good place to test would be the plains in-between templehof and the starting region minor settlements, sort of north and south of a straight line course. I've had symbols appear in those sorts of spots within VC territory. Maybe those are the boggier looking spots on the map? I'd have to load up an early save to check.

It runs off of the battle markers in the near area it seems. If you can see it on the map it should work, vanilla no-mod as far as I know.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Decus posted:

I've had markers appear out relatively far from cities. I think it's more that it doesn't scale with unit sizes at all, so it's a lot harder to generate them without multi-stack grindfests if you're playing below large and I don't think the casualty counter rises much if at all unless you outright generate a site. It probably winds up near settlements a lot because of sieges and obviously garrisons add to the unit/casualty count of a battle.

I thought it was bugged in one of my games and it wasn't, it's just hard to meet the minimum casualty limit or something at medium so even fighting half - three quarter stack+ garrison did nothing. I had them piling up around Averheim as well as another point about halfway between marienburg and that one orc settlement from an ambush battle in another campaign and it looks like they're pretty much where the army that was attacked was standing. I'd be surprised if there's only set points on the map.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Decus posted:

I think raise dead only works if the battle leaves a marker. The markers can definitely appear anywhere, but they definitely require a certain amount of dead which doesn't scale with unit size so if you're playing on medium or small you might not get as many. It might also require a certain number of units on each side in the battle or a certain number of troops to participate to generate the marker, but I'm not certain. There are a couple mods that change those as well as the casualty amount like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=703425275.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah but you could set formations intelligently. Everything has a subtype like heavy infantry , etc. So, first row medium and light with more veteran units in the back. Make sense?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Almost ended up writing up a huge rant about my first attempt at Empire campaign on Legendary, instead I'll just sum it up into "gently caress the endless zerg swarm that is the Skaelings".
Every 15 or so turns they would come down to raid my poo poo, get stomped out, sued for peace, but then come back with even greater number of stacks the next time, a war of attrition I just couldn't win since I also had Mannfred being a giant douchbag to my east and south.

The cool thing in that campaign run that I wanted to see played out is that Kislev who had conquered most of the east and north Empire provinces and where number 3 in strength ranking and seemingly doing real well(I quit just before the first Chaos invasion would have been due in a couple turns or so), something I haven't seen to this degree before.
Possibly due the the Norscans being way to busy crapping all over my lands to bother Kislev much I guess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Varg and Skaelings are what we call "total bullshit."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I decided to play a gimmick Empire game where I made an immediate beeline for Kislev, conquering Erengrad and the Northern Oblast, then declaring peace. My intention was to win a long campaign where the Norscan dwarfs make it. 51 turns in, they have three armies razing every Varg settlement as they go. It's been somewhat cathartic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Empire has the best names. In my campaign my spymaster had possibly the longest and most badass name in Total War history: The Emperor's Eye Wolfgang the Wearer of Chains. Now I'm fighting against an Empire garrison commander called Kolt Dogburglar. Gonna teach him a lesson for burgling all those dogs :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Choyi posted:

Almost ended up writing up a huge rant about my first attempt at Empire campaign on Legendary, instead I'll just sum it up into "gently caress the endless zerg swarm that is the Skaelings".

What I did was after I killed the first fleet I had a general for the rest of the game encamped in the frozen north sacking and razing every city, they can't pump out raiding stacks as fast if they are losing cities and needing to use some of them to defend settlements.

• Locked thread