Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Deltasquid posted:

It can lead to an overzealous work ethic and/or crippling debts. Neither of those are particularly good for your health, either.

Did you know also that, if you include prison, more men get raped than women!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EvilGenius posted:

what

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
cash crab meet white nationalist kraken

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Deception Island lmao

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EvilGenius posted:

When I hear this aloud, in real life, sometimes I pick a mythological entity nobody believes in and silently utter a short prayer:

"Look, Prometheus, buddy: people think you're nothing more than the title of a lovely alien movie at this point in history, but if you make this dude poo poo his pants loudly and visibly right now, I will spend the rest of my life building countless temples in your honor."

Sadly, many temples have gone unbuilt

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sarah Silverman retweed this tila tequila tweet and holy poo poo this (((JEWS))) thing is really picking up steam in the crazy world.

https://twitter.com/AngelTilaLove/status/744857204621094912

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is that ((( ))) thing? It's shown up around a few peoples' handles on my feed.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

EmmyOk posted:

What is that ((( ))) thing? It's shown up around a few peoples' handles on my feed.

It's a way for Nazis the alt-right to signal that someone is Jewish.

https://mic.com/articles/144228/echoes-exposed-the-secret-symbol-neo-nazis-use-to-target-jews-online#.dxQEQui1N

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's a way of making sure everyone knows you're a bigoted piece of poo poo. Triple parenthesis denotes that a thing is JEWEY.

e:f,b

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

EmmyOk posted:

Dog whistle word for (((((Jews))))

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EmmyOk posted:

It's a thing people are using to flag Jews.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah right. The people I have seen using it are actually Jewish so I guess they are railing against it then. Thanks for the responses, guys!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(((🇮🇱)))

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

EmmyOk posted:

Ah right. The people I have seen using it are actually Jewish so I guess they are railing against it then.

Yeah they're reclaiming the "echoes" (what the triple parentheses are called), it's like wearing a star of david in defiance, or like LGBT people wearing a pink triangle

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I hear this aloud, in real life, sometimes I pick a mythological entity nobody believes in and silently utter a short prayer:

"Look, Prometheus, buddy: people think you're nothing more than the title of a lovely alien movie at this point in history, but if you make this dude poo poo his pants loudly and visibly right now, I will spend the rest of my life building countless temples in your honor."

Sadly, many temples have gone unbuilt

But you're saying that some have been built? Because I needed to give to charity, and the bringer of fire seems like a good place.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Then while looking for more from him, I got this:

Another reload a few minutes later and:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Should I be seeing these names, OP?

PewDiePie isn't my cup of tea but he has done really sweet things for sick fans as well as criticising the unsavory elements in his past videos and fanbase.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

Yeah they're reclaiming the "echoes" (what the triple parentheses are called), it's like wearing a star of david in defiance, or like LGBT people wearing a pink triangle

I don't think that's a smart idea just because the bigots will think "well them (((Jews))) are sayin it so it ain't bigoted"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Should I be seeing these names, OP?

PewDiePie isn't my cup of tea but he has done really sweet things for sick fans as well as criticising the unsavory elements in his past videos and fanbase.

Public posts, public shame.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fair enough! They just looked like more private stuff at first glance and I know I have posted stuff without blanking it first by mistake!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really can't wait for the Alt-Right to devour itself into obscurity.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What the gently caress is alt-right because I haven't found a single concise explanation of it that doesn't veer into a rant about something

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goose fleet posted:

What the gently caress is alt-right because I haven't found a single concise explanation of it that doesn't veer into a rant about something

If you are a conservative

You believe that a wall for the US is immoral and racist, but a wall for Israel is not.

You believe deporting anchor babies is unconstitutional.

You believe that free trade consists of other nations accepting US copyrights, patents, and US investment, but not US goods.

You believe that the US should be the world’s policeman.

You believe in gay marriage.

You oppose abortion but support state funding for an abortion business that sells baby meat.

You propose that a tax payer funded organization should fund and guarantee mortgages where Hispanics put three percent down on mortgages whose mortgage payments substantially exceed their annual income. (This is your plan to make Hispanics into conservative voters – fund them getting houses in leafy green suburbs)

You believe that America is a propositional nation, defined by allegiance to a proposition, not a land or a people. But you are not terribly clear on what the proposition is. Maybe it is that all Gods chillun are entitled to Obamaphones?

For many decades, Conservatism incorporated has been purging those to its right. Anyone too right wing was deemed to not be a true conservative. And the purge went ever leftwards ever faster.

The alt right is those that have enemies to the left, and no enemies to the right. As conservatism purged ever more people, ever faster, it would inevitably happen that conservatism would become a minority in the Republican party, and the alt right, the faction that fails to purge rightists, the majority.

And so it has come to pass. The alt right outvotes conservatives.

This may well result in the Republican party becoming a genuine political party, rather than the outer party to the Democrats inner party, which is what it was under Bush.

But it will not result in democracy working, since the inner party is permanently in power regardless of election results, and can only be removed by measures resembling a military coup followed by gleichschaltung. Making democracy actually effect policy is likely to require measures strikingly similar to abolishing democracy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

That worked out well.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

goose fleet posted:

This is the most concise explanation I've come across.

Ok Fella posted:

That worked out well.

Good, LoB is far too good for you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ok Fella posted:

That worked out well.

Hey guys, look what I found. :haw:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

How do you fail to understand the fundamentals of supply and demand this badly? He's basically suggesting that Nintendo bootleg itself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Christo posted:

How do you fail to understand the fundamentals of supply and demand this badly? He's basically suggesting that Nintendo bootleg itself.

The most heinous violation in his logic is that original Playstations run like $25 on eBay now, with games around the same price. Even if he seriously believed in his "Collectors would buy brand new reproductions instead of originals!" logic, all of those collectors could buy like 30 consoles for the price he thinks they'd want to pay.

Like, does he think that all the old stuff just evaporated when new stuff was made? Does he think we need to produce retro TVs and consoles because they don't exist any more?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

goose fleet posted:

Did you ever read A Confederacy of Dunces?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chitoryu12 posted:

The most heinous violation in his logic is that original Playstations run like $25 on eBay now, with games around the same price. Even if he seriously believed in his "Collectors would buy brand new reproductions instead of originals!" logic, all of those collectors could buy like 30 consoles for the price he thinks they'd want to pay.

Like, does he think that all the old stuff just evaporated when new stuff was made? Does he think we need to produce retro TVs and consoles because they don't exist any more?

We need to produce some goddamn original Chrono Triggers

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually know a guy who refuses to play video games on a flat screen TV, he only plays them on a CRT.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Nuebot posted:

I actually know a guy who refuses to play video games on a flat screen TV, he only plays them on a CRT.

That might be him trying to follow speedrunner logic. There's visual lag in converting AV input, so if you want to speedrun an older game--particularly if it hasn't been re-released or you need a particular version--you need a CRT to compete.

That only applies to a pretty small percentage of players, though, since the lag isn't even that bad if you're only playing on a normal level. So either your friend has no loving clue what he's doing, or he's more hardcore than you think.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

That might be him trying to follow speedrunner logic. There's visual lag in converting AV input, so if you want to speedrun an older game--particularly if it hasn't been re-released or you need a particular version--you need a CRT to compete.

That only applies to a pretty small percentage of players, though, since the lag isn't even that bad if you're only playing on a normal level. So either your friend has no loving clue what he's doing, or he's more hardcore than you think.

Definitely not a speedrunner. He's just weird and says CRTs look better. Not that he thinks they have a clearer picture or anything. He just thinks they look better. I guess it's like how some people like records over MP3s or something but crazier.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Nintendo never rereleases their old stuff because then my 10 copies of Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt would become worthless

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

goose fleet posted:

Libertarians who realize they are actually just fascists.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a retro game collector too and he's right

you definitely need to play old games on a CRT unless you're a filthy casual

they're not even hard to get now. people literally give them away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I think with some really old games, you need to play them on an old CRT because they simply weren't designed to be seen on big screens and end up looking awful on gigantic modern TVs.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I think with some really old games, you need to play them on an old CRT because they simply weren't designed to be seen on big screens and end up looking awful on gigantic modern TVs.

Yeah, it's this- old pixelly game graphics were often designed with the blurring effect of the CRT screen in mind, doing some pretty neat stuff with colors to make the most of the lovely material they had available. Something that looks great on a CRT looks like horrible junk on HD because it's all crisp and clear and loses its intended look.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Ok Fella posted:

That worked out well.
Why would you read this thread, but block LoB? LoB provides some of the most amazing idiots on social media I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think he may actually think those are LOB's actual opinions.