Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm just not a huge fan of the Ptolemaic dynasty. It just feels like the least Egyptian of all the major Ancient Egyptian periods. But everyone's heard of Cleopatra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Cleopatra is a fine choice for an Egyptian leader if she is one of multiple possible Egyptian leaders available. But if she is the only leader then that's fine too because I would also rather not have Ramses be the Egyptian leader in all Civilization games until the end of time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hatshepsut

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Cleopatra was also the Egyptian leader in Civ Rev

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

And Civ 3

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

And also for a bit in real life

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

And also for a bit in real life

Doing better than Dido then.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would hope if she shows up they keep her fake beard

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cleopatra is a really terrible choice to represent Egypt. She's a really interesting leader, but Ptolemaic Egypt is... not really all that Egyptian. Or at least not representative of Egypt in general. If there are multiple leaders, that's fine (and folks have raised good points, I'm not sure there will be multiple leaders) but it feels off for her to be the one ruler of Egypt.

It'd be like having Greece represented by Justinian or something. Yeah, the Byzantine Empire is pretty Greek, but it's a really different thing than what we generally mean by "Greece."

I respect the need for female representation, but Hatshepsut fits that fairly well. She was a pretty competent ruler to boot.

I guess Cleopatra's reign gives the inspiration a pretty interesting AI personality though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You know, with the game coming out on Oct. 21, there's 17 weeks left and 17 more civilizations they haven't unveiled all the details for. It'd be quite fitting if they did a weekly spotlight from this point on; I remember following the Civ 3 website for when they'd feature all the Civs.
Probably worth checking their channel next week, anyhow.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really doubt multiple leaders will happen. It'd probably take too much resources to design and animate and get a voice for each character when they could just create a new civ. So if you don't like Teddy or Cleo... I guess you'll have to tolerate them until Civ7.

Yeah, I'm not too hot on these new leader choices, even when considering their personalities and potential agendas. I thought civ5's leader choices were solid, save Maria and Dido and maybe a few others where they could have picked someone better. (I'm still a huge Lincoln partisan.) I hope they'll stick with Harun al-Rashid, Darius, Napoleon, and Elizabeth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want Joan of Arc back, and similar kooky leaders

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Who says the Egyptian leader has to be from the classical era? How about Shajar al-Durr, the first sultana of Mamluk Egypt?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Fister Roboto posted:

Who says the Egyptian leader has to be from the classical era? How about Shajar al-Durr, the first sultana of Mamluk Egypt?
Make Saladin the leader of Egypt. :can:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anne Boleyn for England

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mussolini for Rome.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

God bless you.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

RagnarokAngel posted:

God bless you.

thank you

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol there's some serieus denial going on in this thread. Unless this is some insane marketing spiel, they've split up abilities according to leader and civ. Even if they never make official second leaders (which I doubt; this kind of DLC might sell better than new civs nobody cares about) there is a 100% chance that people will mod in their own leaders.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Lol there's some serieus denial going on in this thread. Unless this is some insane marketing spiel, they've split up abilities according to leader and civ. Even if they never make official second leaders (which I doubt; this kind of DLC might sell better than new civs nobody cares about) there is a 100% chance that people will mod in their own leaders.
What? No one has denied that people will mod in leaders. You're getting smug over something no one has said.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Nobunaga would have been cool in V if they didn't make him a generic bushido samurai guy, when he's one of the worst examples you could pick for that. Nobunaga is the guy who would gun down the honorable samurai and burn some temples along the way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

It would be a bit weird if they made a whole alternate leader system and then never used it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It would be a bit weird if they made a whole alternate leader system and then never used it.

Except this isn't an alternate leader system. It's "we want a bonus that reflects the leader vs the Civ as a whole".

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

In Civ 5, the UA's were also separate from the unique units in Civilopedia; UAs belonged to leaders, units to civs. It was only in the quick game setup screen that they were consolidated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sarmhan posted:

Except this isn't an alternate leader system. It's "we want a bonus that reflects the leader vs the Civ as a whole".

The post I quotes suggests some sort of mechanical facility for having leaders separate from civs, which modders would be able to use.

If it's entirely aesthetic they wouldn't bother making any such thing, they would just change some fluff lines.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jay Rust posted:

I love the art style

that conquistador :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OwlFancier posted:

The post I quotes suggests some sort of mechanical facility for having leaders separate from civs, which modders would be able to use.

If it's entirely aesthetic they wouldn't bother making any such thing, they would just change some fluff lines.
The facility it suggests - that some abilities are tied to leaders and some are tied to civs - is exactly how things were set up in Civ V and they never released any official secondary leaders, specifically because the civ abilities are the smallest amount of actual work involved so they might as well make a whole new civ if they're doing new modelling and voicework.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They said they were going to make this one more moddable, so maybe they'll build something in that allows you to make more leaders easily.

Regarding leader choice: definitely seems like they're trying present a fresh group of leaders, which I can appreciate. I know cleopatra was in 3, but have any of the other leaders so far been in 4/5?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Qin Shi Huang was one of the Chinese leaders in Civ 4.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They said they were going to make this one more moddable, so maybe they'll build something in that allows you to make more leaders easily.

Regarding leader choice: definitely seems like they're trying present a fresh group of leaders, which I can appreciate. I know cleopatra was in 3, but have any of the other leaders so far been in 4/5?

Gandhi

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rexides posted:

In Civ 5, the UA's were also separate from the unique units in Civilopedia; UAs belonged to leaders, units to civs. It was only in the quick game setup screen that they were consolidated.

I didn't realize that. It's kind of silly.

In that case I don't know why they'd press the matter of "You've got one unique unit for your civ, and one for your leader!!" angle so hard if they don't plan on letting you mix and match to some degree. I have to admit an ahistorical game mode with random leaders per civ would be straight up my alley though.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

I didn't realize that. It's kind of silly.

In that case I don't know why they'd press the matter of "You've got one unique unit for your civ, and one for your leader!!" angle so hard if they don't plan on letting you mix and match to some degree. I have to admit an ahistorical game mode with random leaders per civ would be straight up my alley though.

I imagine it's about how they probably have some research that shows that players identify more with people/personalities than with civilizations, so they emphasize the persona of the leader more in their game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gort posted:

Gandhi

Gandhi's not actually confirmed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Firaxis is pumping up the hype machine by making the first leaders released be new leaders that everyone has heard of. That gets people talking. A few months down the road we'll probably get the usual Gandhi and Isabella and Augustus and Elizabeth and Napoleon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I can't imagine that any of the leaders that haven't been in literally every mainline Civ won't be in Civ6.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Firaxis is pumping up the hype machine by making the first leaders released be new leaders that everyone has heard of. That gets people talking. A few months down the road we'll probably get the usual Gandhi and Isabella and Augustus and Elizabeth and Napoleon.

I can dream.

The main thing that makes me think they might do a switcheroo is one interview with Ed Beach where he's asked "Is Gandhi still OP?" and he sort of looks uncomfortable for a moment and then talks about leaders, mentioning which leaders and civs have been confirmed so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who could replace Gandhi?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Trajan for Rome, Chandragupta Maurya for India, Cromwell (:can:) for England. Make it happen, Firaxis.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kurtofan posted:

Who could replace Gandhi?

Emperor Ashoka, who created an enormous empire and made Buddhism its state religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
I hope Firaxis keeps Ghandi, but then when India's spotlight comes up it shows a picture of Indira Ghandi.