Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Last night's Cavs v Warriors game: 30.8 million viewers on ABC. It's the biggest TV audience for an NBA game this century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Supposedly Darren Rovell's contract is almost up. I will never stop laughing if he's the next casualty of ESPN's talent shedding.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That would require Rovell to have talent

:hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

Has not mattered at all for years now

On the field, but still gets pretty good TV ratings. Like third or fourth best.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Supposedly Darren Rovell's contract is almost up. I will never stop laughing if he's the next casualty of ESPN's talent shedding.

I hope so. I hope for this so badly.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

You don't know what you've got til it's gone. It's better to have Rovell around to hate than not

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
why

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

That would require Rovell to have talent

:hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

he broke the UFC sale story

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

exploding mummy posted:

he broke the UFC sale story

He didn't, when you look at the fine print at the end of the article.

ESPN.com MMA staff writer Brett Okamoto contributed to this story.

Rovell pulled the same poo poo regarding Donald Sterling selling the Clippers. Another ESPN writer gets a scoop, writes a story, then Darren whines to the editors that he's the sports business guy, so he needs to own that story. The story gets some meaningless trivia mixed in, and Rovell takes the by-line if the writer isn't big enough to keep him from pushing him off.

Rovell's reporting is entirely the bullshit you see on Twitter, plus regurgitating press releases enthusiastically. Stuff like the UFC sale was more than likely entirely reported by Okamoto, then Rovell basically stole the credit for himself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

We all laugh at morons like SAS or Skip, but they drove ratings. Darren doesn't have a show and his online presence is people making GBS threads over everything he tweets because he's painfully unfunny. I think that's ripe for "a college kid can do this for 1/10 the money".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/AutulloAAS/status/745076178474590208

ESPN is 5 years into a 20-year contract with UT.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Holy poo poo. Thats hilarious.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oh I could laugh for days :allears:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just remember: the University of Texas gets paid $15 million per year no matter what, so the Longhorns are laughing to the bank on this one.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jesus, even the Z-list local sports networks in my area can at least afford a studio show

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Russillo and Danny Kanell say ESPN knew hot takes were good for business (far from shocking) and pretty much forbade anyone from disagreeing with Skip Bayless.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

LOL they admit they understand it was all an act and are still salty about it. What bitches.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And a bad predicting act

https://twitter.com/FeitsBarstool/status/745260635244666880?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will give him a pass for getting this year's one wrong. I still haven't seen anyone pointing out who said that the Cavs would win in 7 after going down 3-1. Everyone got that wrong because there was no historical precedent for this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I could have just as easily got every series wrong too.

But if you're paid whatever absurd amount of money Stephen A Smith is being paid to be a loud obnoxious talking head and you get every series wrong then you deserve to be made fun of on the Internet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's SAS man. He said a few days ago he would have gotten OJ prosecuted. He just says insane things for attention. It's best to just ignore him outright.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tenspott posted:

LOL they admit they understand it was all an act and are still salty about it. What bitches.

To be fair I'm sure it does get a bit frustrating regardless, and it's rare to see ESPN turn on their own, even if Skip's headed out the door.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

tenspott posted:

Its got to be grating. Imagine how often they get asked about him by everyone they know.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Spoeank posted:

It's SAS man. He said a few days ago he would have gotten OJ prosecuted. He just says insane things for attention. It's best to just ignore him outright.

https://medium.com/@byctom/i-would-have-landed-the-hindenburg-5a820cc03429#.4mjqtecb3

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tenspott posted:

Building a career around saying dumb, inflammatory, and offensive things is lovely and annoying even if you happen to be doing it on purpose.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

Building a career around saying dumb, inflammatory, and offensive things is lovely and annoying even if you happen to be doing it on purpose.

Do you get mad at actors who play villains in movies?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

tenspott posted:

Do you get mad at actors who play villains in movies?

ESPN is supposed to be entertainment, not fiction

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Getting mad at Skip Bayless is like getting mad at a wrestler for saying mean things.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Getting mad at Skip Bayless is like getting mad at a wrestler for saying mean things.

You are supposed to get mad at the wrestler, or else he is doing a poo poo job.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Anyone who watches/watched first take with any expectation of intelligence/integrity/professionalism/etc is a rube.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As a wrestling fan, I gotta take issue with this "Skip is playing a heel" nonsense. If Skip is the heel, then where is the babyface? It sure as hell isn't SAS.

There's a reason heel vs. heel feuds don't work in pro wrestling -- there's nobody to cheer for, so people don't have a reason to care. That's been the real problem with First Take. Would anybody hate the show as much if it had a sensible, likeable straight man to act as a foil for Skip's nonsense? I highly doubt it. In fact, it might even be enjoyable, if theoretical likeable man got one over on Skip once in a while.

Instead, it's just SAS being SAS, and Skip being Skip, and we get a whole bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. As the old saying goes in wrestling, there's no heat.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 22, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Stephen A. threatening Kevin Durant is one of the funniest things that's ever been on TV and him talking about how he would have won the OJ trial is delightfully surreal farce.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

This is amazing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

There's a reason heel vs. heel feuds don't work in pro wrestling -- there's nobody to cheer for, so people don't have a reason to care. That's been the real problem with First Take. Would anybody hate the show as much if it had a sensible, likeable straight man to act as a foil for Skip's nonsense? I highly doubt it. In fact, it might even be enjoyable, if theoretical likeable man got one over on Skip once in a while.

Instead, it's just SAS being SAS, and Skip being Skip, and we get a whole bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. As the old saying goes in wrestling, there's no heat.

This is why Hannity & Colmes was so popular.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

You try not to get mad at him, but then you realize that there are people who agree with every single word he says.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Niwrad posted:

This 100%, which is why it's both funny and pathetic to see adults get salty at Skip, especially people who are industry insiders. It's not even 1930s wrestling where they still pretend it's real. Skip is full on 2016 wrestling where everyone knows it's scripted as all hell and they wink and nod at the camera.

The most embarrassing moment was Cuban thinking he just crushed Skip. It was cringe worthy to know that this guy who owns a team actually takes HOT TAKES seriously enough to try and offer counterpoints and then act like he just crushed a dinger out of the park after he kicked the poo poo out of all Skip's straw men. The only people who thought Cuban came out on top are the same people who get upset when the Iron Sheik talks bad about the USA.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Timby posted:

This is why Hannity & Colmes was so popular.

Alan Colmes was set up to look like a jobber.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Niwrad posted:

Ever hear of X-Pac?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

Ever hear of X-Pac?

I hate you for reminding me of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Benne posted:

As a wrestling fan, I gotta take issue with this "Skip is playing a heel" nonsense. If Skip is the heel, then where is the babyface? It sure as hell isn't SAS.

It's not Skip vs SAS. It's those two vs everyone who follows sports. People love to feel superior to them by mocking their opinions. They love to see those opinions turn out to be wrong and how he'll try to spin it the next time. He's the villain and people enjoy being entertained by villains sometimes. It's also nothing new. Shock jocks, political talk show hosts, and sports radio personalities have been doing it for decades. Skip is just televised clickbait.

Skip is a character. There is no way someone could watch the NBA Finals and think Kyrie Irving was the best player in the series. No way someone could watch Tebow and think they are a good NFL QB. But inciting sports fans with those opinions draws attention and pays a lot more money than being Zach Lowe.