Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pewdiepie posted:

Bon Clay is going to find one piece and become the pirate king.

He'd have no interest in the title or position and would be happier just having cool friends, kind of like Whitebeard I suppose. He can be the Whitebeard to Luffy's Roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

tsob posted:

He'd have no interest in the title or position and would be happier just have cool friends, kind of like Whitebeard I suppose. He can be the Whitebeard to Luffy's Roger.

Ivankov was friends with Roger and Bon would be taking his position. Also Whitebeard had a title, so...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What kind of god-tier pull does Shanks have to be able to just walk up to Marineford and make the fighting just stop? Even Fleet Admiral Sengoku just says "Well, since it's you, Shanks, I'll not only order the fighting over but also let you guys retrieve the corpses of the guys that were the whole reason this giant island-ruining war was fought". Blackbeard just goes "Well, I may have two of the most powerful Devil Fruits out there, but I don't think I'm ready to deal with these guys with guns yet".

I mean, I'm not complaining, it's awesome, but whaaaaaaaa?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

What kind of god-tier pull does Shanks have to be able to just walk up to Marineford and make the fighting just stop? Even Fleet Admiral Sengoku just says "Well, since it's you, Shanks, I'll not only order the fighting over but also let you guys retrieve the corpses of the guys that were the whole reason this giant island-ruining war was fought". Blackbeard just goes "Well, I may have two of the most powerful Devil Fruits out there, but I don't think I'm ready to deal with these guys with guns yet".

We don't know much about the crew but we can guess they're really, really strong. Like a boat full of Mihawks. And that's despite Shanks losing an arm and having a small crew on one ship.

Like, all they had to do was show up at Marineford and the war ended. That's scary.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

"After fighting the biggest group of badasses in the world we cant afford to fight a second war against the other strongest group of baddasses.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder how strong that fat guy with a gun that straight up murked that no name pirate back in chapter 1.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder how strong that fat guy with a gun that straight up murked that no name pirate back in chapter 1.

Lucky Roux?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isn't Lucky Roux the fastest man in the world? Or is that someone else on Shanks' crew. I know that Ben Beckman is the smartest.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Seems like it's Lucky because in the short time we see him at the beginning he appears to go from Shanks' side immediately to shooting that bandit in the head from point blank rank. At the same time, everyone is super quick now so it could just be a perspective thing. Would be hilarious if it's Lucky, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

Isn't Lucky Roux the fastest man in the world? Or is that someone else on Shanks' crew. I know that Ben Beckman is the smartest.

That was some weird fan rumor because he seems to come out of nowhere to shoot that dude.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shoren posted:

Seems like it's Lucky because in the short time we see him at the beginning he appears to go from Shanks' side immediately to shooting that bandit in the head from point blank rank. At the same time, everyone is super quick now so it could just be a perspective thing. Would be hilarious if it's Lucky, though.

Yeah, someone Kalifa level (if not weaker) should have been able to pull off the same thing.

I do like the idea of Lucky Roux being the world's fastest man, though, because Shanks's crew seems to be entirely DFless, so they need something to distinguish themselves.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

they were already fighting whitebeard and it was basically a tie so fighting another guy on the same level and his crew at the same time would be really stupid

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

I know that Ben Beckman is the smartest.

This is not necessarily the case. An early SBS answer states he's the smartest person introduced as of Volume 8, which is when the Baratie arc ends (Kuro is second, and Nami is third). Since then they've introduced Robin, Crocodile, Chopper, Franky, Vegapunk, Law, and Caesar Clown, and probably a bunch of other smart people I've forgotten, and some characters (particularly Usopp) seem to have gotten smarter.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Can we talk about some recent covers? I'll start with this one:

Confession time. I had a really stupid thought when I saw this one. I thought for a moment that the Kamabakka Queendom was hosting the Reverie. That's dumb for a lot of reasons, not least is that the country is run by a fugitive Revolutionary. But then I started wondering what they're preparing for. It must be for the gathering of all the Revolutionary leaders. Which is good news, because it seems likely that there was no terrible losses in the fall of Baltigo. If there were, Iva-chan would be in mourning, not planning a party.

I really like this one. If you remember, Mihawk tells Zoro that those humandrills are a very intelligent, tool-using ape. Because the only humans they've ever seen destroyed themselves in a bloody war, the humandrills learned how to use weapons and fought constantly.

Until now. Mihawk is teaching them peace, you guys. :3:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

The Lord of Hats posted:

guys with guns

You may be reading the wrong manga. Luffy is just guy with a gun, and he's going to be the Pirate King.

lowercase16 posted:

I really like this one. If you remember, Mihawk tells Zoro that those humandrills are a very intelligent, tool-using ape. Because the only humans they've ever seen destroyed themselves in a bloody war, the humandrills learned how to use weapons and fought constantly.

My headcanon is that he just started plowing the fields one day and they mimicked him, not that he intended to teach them to farm.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Daaaamn Usopp, way to use the time skip to suddenly become the hottest member of the crew.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Daaaamn Usopp, way to use the time skip to suddenly become the hottest member of the crew.

That's a weird way to spell Franky.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

jassa posted:

That's a weird way to spell Franky.

Don't be ridiculous, Franky was the hottest member before the timeskip too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

I commented on it at the time I think, but it's really the most :unsmith: thing for exactly the reasons you said.

It started out as a really dark and brutal scenario, and you think that's all there is to it. It's an overwhelmingly grim location to go with an overwhelmingly grim man.

But it turns out Mihawk is teaching the ghosts of human brutality to put aside destruction and build something instead.

:unsmith:

As for the Kamabakka kingdom- this is just off the top of my head and I'm not going back to check, but didn't Dragon say he was calling together the gang after they got the Dressrossa weapons, right before Blackbeard attacked? Presumibly that gathering is now taking place on Kamabakka Island.

Maybe he had planned to call everyone together at Kamabakka Island in the first place, and he coincidentally abandoned Baltigo right before Blackbeard struck- maybe Blackbeard arrived on an empty island and then burned it for the publicity (which the WG would be happy to claim as a defeat for the Revolutionaries). No reason to assume this is what happened (haven't checked to see if anything contradicts this idea), but it'd be kind of funny and in character for Blackbeard.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think the scary thing about Shanks crew is that they're obscenely strong and none of them seemingly have any Devil Fruits. Being that strong without Devil Fruits in the New World has got to mean something. The Admirals and Sengoku all had super powerful Devil Fruits and to just be on the same level as those guys are is pretty frightening.

Also I really hope that Mihawk and Perona become best friends so we can get more Perona back eventually. She and Monet were my favorite females in One Piece.

Silver2195 posted:

This is not necessarily the case. An early SBS answer states he's the smartest person introduced as of Volume 8, which is when the Baratie arc ends (Kuro is second, and Nami is third). Since then they've introduced Robin, Crocodile, Chopper, Franky, Vegapunk, Law, and Caesar Clown, and probably a bunch of other smart people I've forgotten, and some characters (particularly Usopp) seem to have gotten smarter.
Brook's introduction makes Robin's knowledge nearly invalid since the only thing she can do that he can't is read Polyglyphs. Since he's so old and was apparently in the New World he knows a hell of a lot about just about everything, he just doesn't bring much up.

Usopp is basically the crew's Batman with the benefits of not being the title character so he's not super over-powered. Sanji was a good strategist but that emphasis has dropped a lot too, he used to be the one to get the crew out of huge trouble before the time skip, but he hasn't done much except out-smarting the giant blowfish guy.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Also I really hope that Mihawk and Perona become best friends so we can get more Perona back eventually. She and Monet were my favorite females in One Piece.

show me the monet, oda

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Manatee Cannon posted:

show me the monet, oda
Most popular theory is that she died to give Nami a Devil Fruit (That may end up being used on her weather weapon) :v:

She had a lot of personality for a throw-away villain.

E: What the hell she's Sugar's older sister?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know that, I just wanted to make a joke

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RealFoxy posted:

I think the scary thing about Shanks crew is that they're obscenely strong and none of them seemingly have any Devil Fruits. Being that strong without Devil Fruits in the New World has got to mean something. The Admirals and Sengoku all had super powerful Devil Fruits and to just be on the same level as those guys are is pretty frightening.

Brook's introduction makes Robin's knowledge nearly invalid since the only thing she can do that he can't is read Polyglyphs. Since he's so old and was apparently in the New World he knows a hell of a lot about just about everything, he just doesn't bring much up.

Usopp is basically the crew's Batman with the benefits of not being the title character so he's not super over-powered. Sanji was a good strategist but that emphasis has dropped a lot too, he used to be the one to get the crew out of huge trouble before the time skip, but he hasn't done much except out-smarting the giant blowfish guy.

Brook might have a wealth of experience but intelligent is not something I would use to describe him.

Robin's former occupation as a member of Baroque Works does give her more knowledge of the underworld than the rest of the crew. She's also very well-read.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There's nothing wrong with overlaps in the crew's skills/knowledge, especially given they're very rarely all together in one place these days

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I like to think of Shanks' crew as filled with superlatives. "Smartest man in the world"-Beckman, "most accurate man in the world"-Yasopp, "most powerful haki in the world"-Shanks, etc.

Also I like to think the reason none of them have fruits is that they keep losing them when they find them because they aren't paying attention, like with Luffy eating the gomu-gomu.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I still wonder why Shanks ever lost an arm if he was that strong other than him just wanting to prove a point to Luffy.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I'm going to go with a different reason for Shanks being so scary. Shanks is the only one of the 4 Yonko that was actually directly part of Roger's crew, so it's very possible that he personally knows where Raftel is/how to get there. He and his crew are stronger than the average pirates, sure, but I think the reason everyone (especially the WG) fears them is because they could just go claim One Piece and the history of the void century whenever they wanted. Shanks would never do that of course, he's more interested in seeing how the new generation of pirates shape the world, but unless you know him personally you wouldn't know that. To the other Yonko, the Marines, and the WG, Shanks and his crew are basically a ticking time bomb with the power to supercharge the pirate age and pull the curtain off the void century in one swift action. That power alone is enough to make people tread lightly around them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I still wonder why Shanks ever lost an arm if he was that strong other than him just wanting to prove a point to Luffy.
In fairness, there was a pretty big timeskip between then and Luffy setting off. And when you think of what Luffy achieved in just two years, I can see Shanks growing monstrously in a larger span of time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shanks says himself that he bet his arm on the future iirc

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LanceKing2200 posted:

I'm going to go with a different reason for Shanks being so scary. Shanks is the only one of the 4 Yonko that was actually directly part of Roger's crew, so it's very possible that he personally knows where Raftel is/how to get there. He and his crew are stronger than the average pirates, sure, but I think the reason everyone (especially the WG) fears them is because they could just go claim One Piece and the history of the void century whenever they wanted. Shanks would never do that of course, he's more interested in seeing how the new generation of pirates shape the world, but unless you know him personally you wouldn't know that. To the other Yonko, the Marines, and the WG, Shanks and his crew are basically a ticking time bomb with the power to supercharge the pirate age and pull the curtain off the void century in one swift action. That power alone is enough to make people tread lightly around them.

i think shanks is strong as heck

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
he fought wb and kaidou and came out without losing any more limbs. dude is like at least admiral level lol.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Shanks and his crew are definitely strong as all hell, they're just extremely chill most of the time. That's why they were hanging out at some random west blue village in the first place.

Come to think of it, I wonder if you could match the four emperors up to the four humours. Shanks is sanguine, Big Mom is choleric, Kaidou is (surprisingly) melancholic, and Whitebeard was phlegmatic.

Of course that's all out the window now because Blackbeard is definitely not phlegmatic, but it kinda works if you squint :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

One of Shanks' first appearances had people near him passing out from an excess of Shanks in their atmosphere. He then swung a sword hard enough to make the sky run away.

Kizaru nearly poo poo his pants at the presence of Shanks' first mate.

The Red Hair Pirates don't play, son.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

LanceKing2200 posted:

If this was true, why wouldn't the WG just loving kill them?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Shanks is a guy that rolled up to whitebeard's ship... alone I think? And then grinned at him so hard the sky split.

Shanks is likely the strongest dude alive, and his whole crew has gotta be right up there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RealFoxy posted:

because he was created almost 20 years ago

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm curious how much of the world's current power level was planned back then. Luffy went on to immediately punch that sea king in the face a chapter later so characters were always pretty ridiculous, but honestly someone at the current Shanks' power level would not lose a limb to a sea monster unless there was some crazy plot reason. I mean the real answer is that he lost his arm because it was needed to set up his and Luffy's backstory but I wonder if Oda's plan from two decades ago was Dragon Ball with pirates or if the comic slowly escalated without him really noticing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

anime was right posted:

i think shanks is strong as heck

Bold statement but I agree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mihawk was slicing up ships with a single swing back near the beginning, and we were introduced to Whitebeard as early as Alabasta, where I would assume Oda had some idea of how powerful he would be. One of the things I like about One Piece is that it laid down the basics for its power levels very early on and stuck to them. I genuinely think Shanks just powered up like loving crazy between saving Luffy and Luffy going out to sea himself. It was ten years, after all.