Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Same with DUI checkpoints. The sovereign citizen thing is goofy as gently caress but knowing your rights isn't.

A few months back, I got into an argument with my now ex-wife and told her she could have my dead grandmother's house "over my dead body" and left the house seething with rage. She called the cops and told them I was threatening to kill myself and that I had a gun. The gun in question was a starter's pistol and I didn't even realize I owned.

Five cops eventually surrounded me and questioned me for about 10 minutes. They searched me and my bag, asked me about a "gun" I didn't know about and finally eased up and let me go when I went into my "am I being detained? Am I free to go?" spiel. They could have Baker Acted me and thrown me in jail on nothing more than my evil ex wife's story if they'd wanted to.

It sure FELT like the tone of the conversation shifted once I stopped answering their questions and began to ask my own.

Hunter Thompson (since Playboy was mentioned, I think he wrote for them once or twice?) had an interesting story on this. When he was a younger man, he and his friends would always get picked on by a bus driver who would basically troll them by closing the doors when they were running up to get on and drive off. So, they got revenge by rigging a post office box to fall in front of the bus one day as revenge. A day or so later, some postal authorities show up and start questioning Hunter and his family about this by playing the Prisoner's Dilemma to them: someone ratted, we just need you to admit this and blah blah. So, guilty as hell, Hunter decided to ask who ratted them out. Hunter's father also started asking. Eventually the matter was dropped.

Long story short: authority is often used bluntly and with the expectation that you'll roll over and submit. Asserting yourself in a confident matter upends this. Police expect a violent reaction in most cases (per their job) so asserting yourself without being confrontational often results in changing the tone entirely. But in Sovcit cases, you can see that they don't have this. They're not only afraid, they're being deliberately confrontational, which destroys their whole argument. It's just another case of assholery where the rear end in a top hat in question has the shred of a reasonable argument and abuses it until they get tazered. Let's not confuse standing up for your rights and asking questions about your confinement/current status with somebody trying to prove a very stupid point to feel like a big man.

So I guess the schaden in this case is that all authority is essentially weak in the face of a tactic it cannot deal with. With American police, it's a calm discourse and assertation of rights that undermines their conflict training and makes them defend their rationale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

grand_danois posted:

The 100 miles border issue gets conflated quite often on these forums by people who are too busy making fun of Sovereign Citizens to stop and think for a minute.

This primer by the ACLU has the most important information, including:

If the CBP got their way, two thirds of the population would live in constitution free zones. It's completely ridiculous, and if you think that people are idiots for flexing their rights under those circumstances, then you belong in the IOSM thread.
Calling it a "constitution free zone" seems a trifle overblown, all things considered.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well it's a zone where your constitutional rights are voided, so....no?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not all of them

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

The thing I really don't get with sovcits is: They believe they've uncovered a giant conspiracy and blah, blah, but know the loopholes of the gold fringed flag and what not. These loopholes do demonstratively not work. You can rant about the fringes as much as you want, your rear end is still going to jail. I can understand that someone could get fooled into believing this poo poo, but why do they keep trying, when the magic fails again and again?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Freudian slippers posted:

The thing I really don't get with sovcits is: They believe they've uncovered a giant conspiracy and blah, blah, but know the loopholes of the gold fringed flag and what not. These loopholes do demonstratively not work. You can rant about the fringes as much as you want, your rear end is still going to jail. I can understand that someone could get fooled into believing this poo poo, but why do they keep trying, when the magic fails again and again?

Because they are stupid. Its the same reason continuously play the lottery when they can't afford to or send money to televangelists.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Obviously not casting their magic hard enough. Maybe this time? Shurely he'll listen to me this time!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

But that's not necessarily Sovereign Citizen. There was a podcast (I think This American Life) that went over border checkpoint protocol. Apparently you can stick a border checkpoint at any point within 100 miles of the border which means brown citizens can be asked for papers well within the country they were born and raised in. And because checkpoints that deep inside the country (including the ocean borders) are stupid, you aren't actually legally required to comply with anything Border Agents ask except to say "yep, I'm a citizen." I don't think you even have to show ID since it's not a police officer, but given the opportunity they'll search your entire car.

So it's good to know exactly what's expected of you at a traffic stop because law enforcement is definitely counting on intimidating you.

To clarify, this was what you were supposed to do when pulled over. He honestly told you that if the police officer said you weren't being detained, just drive off on them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

To add to what the others said, it's a pyramid game/lost cost fallacy thing. SovCits have a sort of "gurus", people who claim they understand the law and what spells to use to beat it. They regularly ask hundreds of dollars for training sessions, where they basically teach you what to say. If you lose in court, they'll say you got it wrong or they found new stuff after doing new research, and you have to pay again for a new training. This way, they keep getting sucked in more and more deeply.

The canadian judge's report that's been linked in this thread a few times talked about the gurus in detail.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

They need to roll that d20 and hope they get a critical.

grand_danois
Jan 9, 2005
not a dog irl

oldpainless posted:

Not all of them

Strudel Man posted:

Calling it a "constitution free zone" seems a trifle overblown, all things considered.

In order for something to be considered constitutional, the entire Constitution/Bill of Rights needs to apply. Do you think that it would be considered constitutional for the government to deny you free speech as long as it doesn't quarter soldiers on your property during peace time? Do you think it ought to? This is not a difficult concept. I don't understand why you even want to argue that.

To end the derail, here's a FailArmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Jo50Y8L3M. It's from three days ago, but google says it hasn't been posted here yet. Also, apparently I don't understand how Youtube links work with BBCode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

grand_danois posted:

In order for something to be considered constitutional, the entire Constitution/Bill of Rights needs to apply. Do you think that it would be considered constitutional for the government to deny you free speech as long as it doesn't quarter soldiers on your property during peace time? Do you think it ought to? This is not a difficult concept. I don't understand why you even want to argue that.

To end the derail, here's a FailArmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Jo50Y8L3M. It's from three days ago, but google says it hasn't been posted here yet. Also, apparently I don't understand how Youtube links work with BBCode.

at 1:50 " gently caress Jacob we gotta get out"

:catstare:

Did we just watch someone burn to death?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hollismason posted:

You didn't play with Hot Wheels as a kid?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

No, there's a follow up video that shows the aftermath of the car and they're both fine

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some you've seen, some new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBg4osyKcXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhhXsVvTskc

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Taunting Roy Nelson into hitting you in the jaw has got to be one of the worst ideas it is possible for a human being to have.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Really hate the Diaz brothers being featured in those. They've never directly lost because of their taunting, and their taunting is pro tier.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

I don't get and schadenfreude out of the Diaz vs Silva clip, since Diaz was just mocking Silva who's the biggest taunting oval office in MMA.

But then I get to 1:50 and the freude just rolls in :allears:

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

Slugnoid posted:

I don't get and schadenfreude out of the Diaz vs Silva clip, since Diaz was just mocking Silva who's the biggest taunting oval office in MMA.

Also the fight was loving awful. Anyone watching lost that one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sovereign Citizens have played Paranoia before, and think that cops are friend computer. If they spout enough bullshit beauracracy, they'll win!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turtlicious posted:

Sovereign Citizens have played Paranoia before, and think that cops are friend computer. If they spout enough bullshit beauracracy, they'll win!

And yet they inevitably get used for reactor shielding after refusing to submit to the tongue printing

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
$4 pack of smokes is now $37 because you had $3.99 in the account. Good ole ACH fees.

ninja: and then you go back for the lighter you forgot to buy. Priceless.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

A preoccupied vegan named Hugh
Picked up the wrong pizza to chew.
He took a big bite
before spitting, in fright,
"OMG, WTF, BBQ!"

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal number 3105:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I never really understand why people have such a huge problem with taunting. MMA is some thing slightly different too a sport in my opinion. The fight begins way before the bell goes. Saying you completely respect your opponent and don't have a bad word to say about them is just as much of a play as saying you loving hate them. There is no rule about having to be fake humble/respectful or bowing or some poo poo (I hate the glove touching).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

grand_danois posted:

It would not be constitutional, but it also would not void the constitution entirely, as "constitution-free zone" implies. Fourth amendment-free zone would make more sense. Though even then, as the ACLU page says, they are in fact still bound by it:

quote:

Border Patrol, nevertheless, cannot pull anyone over without "reasonable suspicion" of an immigration violation or crime (reasonable suspicion is more than just a "hunch"). Similarly, Border Patrol cannot search vehicles in the 100-mile zone without a warrant or "probable cause" (a reasonable belief, based on the circumstances, that an immigration violation or crime has likely occurred).

So it's more of a "zone where a lot of people semi-willingly waive their fourth amendment rights due to uncertainty and to overly presumptuous action by the authorities." But that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jippa posted:

I never really understand why people have such a huge problem with taunting. MMA is some thing slightly different too a sport in my opinion. The fight begins way before the bell goes. Saying you completely respect your opponent and don't have a bad word to say about them is just as much of a play as saying you loving hate them. There is no rule about having to be fake humble/respectful or bowing or some poo poo (I hate the glove touching).

If you're gonna talk poo poo you better be prepared to get hit. Taunting is fine but you will look like a laughable jackass if you can't back it up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you're gonna talk poo poo you better be prepared to get hit. Taunting is fine but you will look like a laughable jackass if you can't back it up.

I suppose my point is that it's a fight not really a sport. Some one is going to get hit what ever happens even if every one bows before each round and talks about how great the other guy is. Sticking your fingers up at some one is hardly more disrespectful than giving them brain damage or snapping a bone.

I think it adds to the entertainment of the whole thing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jippa posted:

There's a difference between Anderson Silva and all those other guys; Anderson Silva is a freak who amuses himself by taunting the other guy while fighting (until it bit him in the rear end against Weidman) because he is that far above the average fighter, nearly all of the guys in that video were cocky pricks that got smashed because they didn't focus on fighting.

This is a good example of taunting going right, Ali dropped the hands and taunts his opponent but he's still dodging and would have gone back to fighting if he was actually in trouble.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Most genuine respect I've seen in a sparring match goes along the lines of "We're both here to learn how to fight better and put on a good show. You don't give me expensive dentistry, I don't render you unable to have an erection for half a year. Good? Good."

I like that kind of respect. Professional and pragmatic.

WarpedNaba has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Jun 21, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Question because I'm ignorant of boxing: Could the guy in the red shorts have started going to body blows which Ali wouldn't be able to dodge? Or are you only allowed to make headshots?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
He'd drop his hands and get nailed in the face. As much as Ali was goofing around, not respecting his offense would still be ill advised. There's also the context for the rope-a-dope. He's tiring him out and making him sloppy. The ropes are also shock absorbers against body blows. There's a lot to it.

Babylon Astronaut has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

Question because I'm ignorant of boxing: Could the guy in the red shorts have started going to body blows which Ali wouldn't be able to dodge? Or are you only allowed to make headshots?

You can absolutely punch the body. A hard enough shot to the liver will render you completely incapable of functioning as a human being for several minutes at a time, including but not limited to standing, talking, breathing and generally existing other than in your own personal world of pain.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Memento posted:

You can absolutely punch the body. A hard enough shot to the liver will render you completely incapable of functioning as a human being for several minutes at a time, including but not limited to standing, talking, breathing and generally existing other than in your own personal world of pain.

Isn't there a picture of an MMA fighter getting kicked in the liver while simultaneously making GBS threads his trunks?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Memento posted:

Which is why Bas Rutten would be able to beat up a shark. They're just all liver.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

As said before, Ali would go to town on his face. He was freaky fast for heavyweight. But above that, he also had a torso like a tree-trunk. He could seemingly take body blows that would have reduced a lesser mortal's organs to paste.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-EexAXMsLE

Pretty famous UFC moment involving a liver shot

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jippa posted:

There are documented accounts of soldiers in wartime on opposing sides treating each other with dignity, respect and professionalism, and that's life-or-death. It's not really that ridiculous to be respectful in a professional fistfight, considering.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

If nothing else, showing respect to your opponents is a holdover from training and amateur competition where you rely on your opponent not crippling you. If you're out to hurt people, no one's going to fight you, and no one's going to train with you. I appreciate professionals keeping those traditions alive, since it's so absolutely fundamental in amateur martial arts. That said, trash talking definitely has a place in the UFC, which is just as much about hype and drama as it is about good fights.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Hyperlynx posted:

There are documented accounts of soldiers in wartime on opposing sides treating each other with dignity, respect and professionalism, and that's life-or-death. It's not really that ridiculous to be respectful in a professional fistfight, considering.

I practice Krav Maga, and the reason why I opted not to do MMA was because too many of the people involved (particularly in lower levels) seem to be cunts eager to prove something.

Those videos of the rear end in a top hat MMA fighter who'd just keep pulling legs despite the other tapping out are kind of my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal number 3105:

Oh sorry mom, I meant that meat is god awful for the environment. The amount of land, resources, and water it takes to grow a single cow is far greater than most crops. :v: