Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Without the Charter there would be a lot more people in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Bud we've been over this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey remember when I called Stephane Dion a useless mincing, cowardly oval office [who is also French, which has nothing to do with his many negative qualities] and everyone crawled up my rear end for it?

I expect a full apology any day now.

Also, it turns out I had a false negative on Trudeau being a useless sack of poo poo, so if you want to blame me for something, you might as well focus on that. If the Conservatives conjure up a minimally lovely option, I suppose I'll vote for them next election, or I'll just abstain.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 21, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

...a useless mincing, cowardly French oval office...

Uh huh

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Before anyone jumps on my rear end about it, my main issue is that Stephane Dion basically behaves as the boogeyman that social conservatives would have us believe liberals are. And he does. He's a lovely excuse for a human being. He provides a convenient example for everything bad that people say about self-declared progressives.

EDIT: It is factual that he is French, but it shouldn't be taken as a pejorative as with the other things I called him, so I'll amend my remarks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Butcher posted:

Man we just don't take pride in our official signed declarations anymore.

Someone banged that out in Word in 10 minutes.

Put some work into that poo poo jeez, at least make it a little cool looking.

I'm sorry but countries with female rulers or regencies cannot claim the title of Defender of the Faith. :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Absurd! What was the point of Anglicanism then?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

infernal machines posted:

Absurd! What was the point of Anglicanism then?

I always thought it was about a fat man with syphilis wanting a divorce.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

PT6A posted:

Before anyone jumps on my rear end about it, my main issue is that Stephane Dion basically behaves as the boogeyman that social conservatives would have us believe liberals are. And he does. He's a lovely excuse for a human being. He provides a convenient example for everything bad that people say about self-declared progressives.

EDIT: It is factual that he is French, but it shouldn't be taken as a pejorative as with the other things I called him, so I'll amend my remarks.

Perhaps you are the cowardly oval office, given that you can't even stand behind your petty insults and started complaining people were giving you a hard time before anyone even replied to you

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Hey remember when I called Stephane Dion a useless mincing, cowardly oval office [who is also French, which has nothing to do with his many negative qualities] and everyone crawled up my rear end for it?

Also, it turns out I had a false negative on Trudeau being a useless sack of poo poo, so if you want to blame me for something, you might as well focus on that. If the Conservatives conjure up a minimally lovely option, I suppose I'll vote for them next election, or I'll just abstain.

Cool, let's make this discussion about your posting history instead of Canada's growing status as an arms dealer to dictatorships.

I also find it funny that you blame Dion for this but not Trudeau (your condemnation of Trudeau seems to be ancillary to the Dion comments), as if Trudeau couldn't step in and overrule Dion on this issue given the public pressure.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

This is a post that was prompted by news that Dion had approved weapon sales to a dictatorship. :psyduck:

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
Hey thread, it's National Aboriginal Day so how about instead of talking about PT6A we talk about the G&M's spectacularly lovely op-ed?

Given a nation-wide platform for her call-to-action, Signa Daum Shanks posted:

I have a question for you: Does it really matter that it’s National Aboriginal Day? Maybe you’re indigenous, but it’s statistically likely – if you are reading this publication – that you’re not. So my next question is: now that I’m reminding you of what today is supposed to commemorate, what are you going to do?

This question might be a hard one to answer.

First, we must learn more about “prior occupancy.” The concept is not some unreasonable indigenous idea that is suddenly used as some political weapon. It’s part of the history of common law and civil law and international law – all invented by non-indigenous peoples. Of course, the concept was also implemented by indigenous groups long before any explorer got over to North America. We should remember that when indigenous parties commit themselves to activism, negotiations and litigation, it is not anti-settler. It reinforces the rule of law.

Second, we think more fully about the implications of indigenous socio-economic circumstances. It’s not about a different skin colour, or tenuous financial conditions or a history that disallowed a strong family system to develop. It’s about all of those – and more. We all need to learn self-reliance. But what if you had eight times the amount of challenges in your life that you currently experienced? Would you be where you are today?

The public outcry for more indigenous participation can, sometimes, be accidentally punishing. If a board that wants more indigenous participation does not help make the path to the board less difficult, is it really solving the problem? As committed as you are to finding that helpful voice, put just as much effort to helping take down the barriers that that voice experienced. We are people that have, statistically, gone through very traumatic conditions. We can be funny and work hard. But, like you, we only have so much gas in our tank before our faith and potential is running on empty.

But perhaps the most important matter is to think about your closest circle of friends and wonder, if none of them is indigenous, why that is the case? What if you had an indigenous friend to turn to about an idea for work? What if that same friend could help you explain indigenous homelessness to your kids? If there isn’t an indigenous face in your close circle, today is your day to start doing more to make that happen.

What exists in your life to make that not the case? What could change to make it more possible? How sympathetic are you – really? How good a listener are you? How much do you help others beyond your most familiar comforts? If you don’t have an indigenous person you turn to as a confidante, a pal, a mentor, the time to make that happen is now.

Today, think about what makes you a great friend. But today, also think about what boundaries exist around you that just might make the potential of an indigenous friend improbable. Taking those boundaries down might not be easy, but like all important parts of life, it will help you develop a more accurate history and a better eye for modern conditions.

Today, and every day, it’s clear you (and I) must do more. In doing more, we will all make mistakes. But that doesn’t mean we have the moral right to just stand in our tracks. We are facing the right direction. Now, it’s time to move. Take that first step. Then take another. I, and the rest of indigenous Canada, will cheer you on. And we will be your friends.

It's like every word is perfectly calculated to make the average white/privileged/cishet scum reader tune out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

This is a post that was prompted by news that Dion had approved weapon sales to a dictatorship. :psyduck:

Hypocrites are more annoying than dictators. Canadians just whine about anything. Bloo bloo bloo it's Harper's fault that Canada's economy is so reliant on natural resources. Bloo bloo bloo Trudeau is opening new markets for Canadian made top tier manufactured goods in a sector I don't like.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bloo bloo bloo, Wynne is closing the coal plants.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Hey thread, it's National Aboriginal Day so how about instead of talking about PT6A we talk about the G&M's spectacularly lovely op-ed?

It's like every word is perfectly calculated to make the average white/privileged/cishet scum reader tune out.

How the gently caress does this person think people make friends? It's not a matter of going to the friend store and saying, "hmmm, I think I'll get an indigenous friend today; I've been meaning to try that for a while."

I barely know how I got the friends I have now, much less how I'd go out and "find" an indigenous friend.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canpol intellectual rodeo clown gonna vote for a party that prefers to make decisions without data, censure scientists for publishing data, that has no problem formulating weapons deals with Saudis

Lol loving moron

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lars Blitzer posted:

Was anything like this done when Klein, Stelmach, or Redford were Premier?

This is a prime minister so it's kinda different, and it's a little more personal, but here comes an anecdote. My grandpa was a career geologist in Alberta who was around when the NEP was enacted and never forgave Trudeau Sr.

When Pierre died, he took a RIP Trudeau newspaper front page, glued a picture of the grinch who stole Christmas over Trudeau's face, and hung it up on his office wall.

Alberta's spite towards anyone who can be conceived of as impacting oil income is pretty much endless.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 21, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

attackmole posted:

[People's] spite towards anyone who can be conceived of as impacting [their] income is pretty much endless.

Fixed. It's not a uniquely Albertan problem.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress does this person think people make friends? It's not a matter of going to the friend store and saying, "hmmm, I think I'll get an indigenous friend today; I've been meaning to try that for a while."

I barely know how I got the friends I have now, much less how I'd go out and "find" an indigenous friend.

I have a native friend. She hunts, fishes, drives a pickup truck, owns land, has multiple atvs, shoots guns, drinks bud light and votes conservative. I have a pretty good idea why city people don't have indigenous friends. If you wanted to make friends with her, you could join the local fish and game club, they meet 10x per year.

sliderule posted:

Bloo bloo bloo, Wynne is closing the coal plants.

That was almost all McGuinty. Man I'd roll out the red carpet to get that guy back.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

I have a pretty good idea why city people don't have indigenous friends.

Right, because there are no indigenous people in the cities. No siree

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

PT6A posted:

Fixed. It's not a uniquely Albertan problem.

It ain't, but the ability of our oil industry to get everyone working in it angry about politics sure is something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Of all the indigenous friends I've had, and all the ones I can think of in my extended social circle (friends of friends), very few of them have lived in big cities. Obviously there are indigenous people living in big cities, but something about living in a city seems to enforce a larger social divide than being in more rural areas.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Right, because there are no indigenous people in the cities. No siree

Alright I'll bite. What are your indigenous friends like?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
56% of Aboriginal people in Canada live in urban areas.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Alright I'll bite. What are your indigenous friends like?

As urbanized as anyone else around here, and without a strong connection to any particular indigenous culture. The indigenous folks I know with a stronger cultural connection to their heritage are boomers, and mostly professionals doing consultancy work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really confused by what's bad about an article asking you to think about your relationship with indigineous people, or just in general about who you have in your social circle.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
My generalizated generalized views of a culture are purely based upon anecdotal data so you're WRONG.

wtshit phone get real with spelling its 2016

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 21, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm really confused by what's bad about an article asking you to think about your relationship with indigineous people, or just in general about who you have in your social circle.

"Seeking out" people of certain groups to fill your dance card of friends doesn't seem at all kinda hosed up? Because it does to me.

I don't have any native friends because I just don't know any natives. I also don't have any south African friends, should today be the day I fix that, too?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think making an attempt to expand your social circle to include people with different perspectives is a laudable thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I think making an attempt to expand your social circle to include people with different perspectives is a laudable thing.

It's absolutely not if you're just trying to meet some kind of friend diversity quota.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's absolutely not if you're just trying to meet some kind of friend diversity quota.

Saying you don't have any native friends because you don't know any native people speaks to who you choose to interact with. It's not about meeting a diversity quota.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

You there! In-uh, First Nation boy! I shall deign to grant you the privilege of my friendship. Let us celebrate with a glass of whatever you people drink.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

CLAM DOWN posted:

I guess the trite response would be that if that's your goal then you aren't actually making friends

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I think I'll stick to making friends with people the old fashioned way; by sharing common interests. That's how normal people do it. I'm not going to go about trying to force my social circle to look like some generic stock photo of a 'diverse crowd' like I'm trying to design some stupid government ad poster.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Saying you don't have any native friends because you don't know any native people speaks to who you choose to interact with. It's not about meeting a diversity quota.

I.... interact with? Introvert shaming ITT.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

You'd be forcibly shifting who you would naturally interact with, just so you can say you have first nations friends? Definitely not the same as meeting a diversity quota, that's for sure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao @ canpol social justice warriors demanding diversity in friendships

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Seriously. Who I interact with is almost completely governed by where I work and who participates in the same activities that I do. I'm not about to go seek employment and attend events based solely on the racial make-up of said group. Because of the variety of stuff I'm interested in I've broken bread with people of all walks of life and that's cool but like hell I'm going to crank my ~social awareness~ up so high that I shift what I do and where I do it in order to accommodate some ridiculous hyper-liberal ideal when it comes to the make up of my social circle.

I've never excluded anyone because their skin color or sexual orientation or ancestral origin or even whether or not the giblets between their legs are what they were born with or what a doctor carved out for them and if that's not good enough then gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I don't think anyone ITT is casting any normative gauntlets here; all that's been said is: if you don't interact with <culture or group that you reasonably could interact with> at all, then you are, to some extent, sheltered. That's it.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone is frothing at the mouth at the thought that you might not have gone out and added another card to your collection friend to your social circle