Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tippis posted:

…at least for certain values of “completely safe”. There's always the lurking danger of (very) close binaries. :D

This is loving scary, I've had a few close calls with binary stars while playing in VR and its the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Finally was able to settle down for some elite on Sunday. After babby's first exploration trip, I found myself w/ ISK 15 million and decided I wanted to work toward an icourier. I had never really done any missioning in Elite yet, having done RES sites and exploring. For full immersion and brown nosing points, I've started my icourier slaving in an iggle.

That's a very fun ship to fly around in. A rating the thing is cheap and it sounds like a Ducati with four pips to the engines and boost engaged. I can almost hear the dry clutch rattling about. I'm not sure if it's the best ship for rank grinding, but I can always switch it out if needed.

The space chatter around stations is fun as well. The imperial stations sound very Star Wars Empire with their received pronunciation British English. "You may alight when ready and we at Imperial Control hope you enjoy our facilities." The contrast with some lonely station in an anarchy system where some lady with a southern drawl sounded like she just got woken up, "Sure, dock here, I suppose, at your own risk."

I wonder if traffic control talks to the player differently depending on reputation. The happy drunk Russian at Skovrtskov Orbital sounds pretty cheerful, but I got ally status with DF by dumping all that exploration data.

Does reputation with the major or minor factions degrade over time?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Major factions will degrade from Allied down to Friendly, but no further. Minor factions do not degrade that I've ever noticed.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It's like the reverse of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIAibDr3yM

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Helter Skelter posted:

Major factions will degrade from Allied down to Friendly, but no further. Minor factions do not degrade that I've ever noticed.

The problem being that there is usually no point to grind minor factions other than possible permits.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

The problem being that there is usually no point to grind minor factions other than possible permits.

And better missions. Unlocking at least one engineer too, but that's pretty much the same as a permit.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What they pay you for doing the missions goes up with your rep too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

…at least for certain values of “completely safe”. There's always the lurking danger of (very) close binaries. :D

It's not so much the actual danger as the sense of arrival. Neutron stars are just freaky to arrive at because it's as if there's nothing there. :cthulhu:

The scariest thing for me is jumping to a main sequence after being in a neutron field for a while. The first few neutrons are scary for the emptiness of it, I'll grant you that. But after going to a few dozen in a row, jumping back to a G-type and having it suddenly fill the entire canopy like you are going to smash into it before the FSD slows down all the way really wrenched my guts!

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
At the most, crashing into a star while in the black will cost you months of exploration data. Nothing to be worried about. Not entirely sure why you don't just save the exploration data to your escape pod's computer when you get blown up.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 20, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

At the most, crashing into a star while in the black will cost you months of exploration data. Nothing to be worried about. Not entirely sure why you don't just save the exploration data to your escape pod's computer when you get blown up.

Take New Horizons for an instant: This probe from today and real life collected years worth of data just by flying by Pluto and it took months of time to send the data back to Earth. Now imagine a thousand years later what kind of super-data you could collect from stellar objects. It's probably easy to say your escape pod isn't capable of holding any kind of exploration data. Wrong kind of computer and Frontier is too nice to give you to option to perma-kill yourself by overwriting important bits of your escape pod computer with random data from star systems you visited.

If I were David Braben I would totally implement this and not tell people taking your exploration-data with you would literally be a suicide option. After all, no-one really would be dumb enough to do this, right? It's obvious what would happen if you overwrite the computer tasked with helping you stay alive, after all. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The scariest thing for me is jumping to a main sequence after being in a neutron field for a while. The first few neutrons are scary for the emptiness of it, I'll grant you that. But after going to a few dozen in a row, jumping back to a G-type and having it suddenly fill the entire canopy like you are going to smash into it before the FSD slows down all the way really wrenched my guts!

Hmm. Yeah, I can see that happening. I had something of the opposite experience when I somehow found a whole bunch of C, S, MIII stars clustered together. Having had my fill of those, I jumped into a system with a regular F-star, which was 1) a really strange colour all of a sudden, and 2) very tiny. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How does the goon group (Diamond Frogs?) stuff actually work? Is it something to do with Powerplay? Do we have our own faction to support or something?

I'm thinking about selling my only ship (Diamondback Scout, I forget the fitting quality) and flying out there in a Sidewinder and figuring out what to do once I'm there. I kinda want to try mining just 'cos it sounds pretty chill.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

How does the goon group (Diamond Frogs?) stuff actually work? Is it something to do with Powerplay? Do we have our own faction to support or something?

I'm thinking about selling my only ship (Diamondback Scout, I forget the fitting quality) and flying out there in a Sidewinder and figuring out what to do once I'm there. I kinda want to try mining just 'cos it sounds pretty chill.

Diamond Frogs is a NPC faction that we wrote the lore for and FDev created in game. We support them by running missions and helping them expand.

Power Play will be GalCop, which we are a part of.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It's not powerplay, Diamond Frogs is a minor NPC faction in game. Mostly it's just an excuse to play together. I think something bigger is brewing with the Galcop thing, but I've been out of the loop for a long long time, you'd probably be better off joining the Discord and asking there.

The DF thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

e ^^^ beaten

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Hi, I started playing this recently, after getting it on sale a while ago, and I don't know how to anything. I like the space ships, and flying them around is fun.

What is the blue area next to the throttle for?

How do I kill anything? It seems like most solo legal-to-shoot things are either Eagles, and can fly circles around me to stay outside of my narrow firing arc forever, or are bigger and more heavily armed, and can still rotate fast enough that I can't get on their blind rear end-side. I have a Cobra 3 with chainguns, but I don't feel like I'm any more : Dangerous than the starting ship.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

StringOfLetters posted:

Hi, I started playing this recently, after getting it on sale a while ago, and I don't know how to anything. I like the space ships, and flying them around is fun.

What is the blue area next to the throttle for?

How do I kill anything? It seems like most solo legal-to-shoot things are either Eagles, and can fly circles around me to stay outside of my narrow firing arc forever, or are bigger and more heavily armed, and can still rotate fast enough that I can't get on their blind rear end-side. I have a Cobra 3 with chainguns, but I don't feel like I'm any more : Dangerous than the starting ship.

The blue area near the throttle indicates the "sweet spot" for where your thrusters will be most effective when pitching or turning your ship - keeping your throttle in that area will make sure you are turning your craft as quickly and effectively as possible. Allocating more or less pips to ENG will move this zone around.

You can find wanted targets in Resource Extraction Sites, which are always in the rings around larger planets, or in Nav Beacons. If you're starting out, it's worth waiting for the Authority vessels to start firing on a wanted target - it helps you take them down, and gives the target something else to worry about which lets you focus on it more. As long as you deal some damage to the target before it pops, you'll collect the bounty.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
currently watching a type 9 heavy NPC kill itself attempting to take off from Long Sight Base in Khun.

It's just flailing around on the ground and slowly beating itself to death.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tabletops posted:

currently watching a type 9 heavy NPC kill itself attempting to take off from Long Sight Base in Khun.

It's, what? 1.5G? Even NPC will under-size, apparently. :D

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Intl Cron posted:

it's worth waiting for the Authority vessels to start firing on a wanted target - it helps you take them down, and gives the target something else to worry about which lets you focus on it more. As long as you deal some damage to the target before it pops, you'll collect the bounty.

Addendum: target the enemy using the 'target under crosshairs' button, and wait til the scanner in the bottom left says they're wanted. If you blast in to a beef between an authority ship and a NPC without this your authority friends won't stay friendly long. This and stray fire on auth ships are my #1 'Oops; Bug out ASAP' reasons :o:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

Funny, that's the same thing I did when I visited LSB with my Explo-Conda during beta. I very nearly didn't make it. Nice to hear I'm not actually worse then a NPC. :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Welp; getting over halfway to the core presents a new challenge - waiting for the navcomp to plot a route :mad:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Welp; getting over halfway to the core presents a new challenge - waiting for the navcomp to plot a route :mad:

Go about 900ly (or your jump range * 30) in the direction you want to go on the galaxy map, then try plotting different stars, slowly edging back towards your current position. If it doesn't plot within ~10 seconds, it will likely take >5 minutes, so just keep selecting different stars and plotting them until the navcomp finds an easy one. I can usually find one within 5 or 6 tries.

This method has never taken longer than one minute to plot >900ly routes all the way to Sag A*.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The only way to move multiple ships to a new "home" is to get to a destination, buy a cheap piece of poo poo Sidewinder, fly it back, switch to your other ship, sell said piece of poo poo, repeat ad nauseum, right?

Don't these people have space craigslist or something? :mad:

(e) Or maybe I should just sell aforesaid Viper Mk4 for some dosh instead?? Either way I guess I still gotta fly to it :mad::mad:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone else find that reverse thrusters are extra weak on planets? Like, if you're just a few meters above a landing pad, and want to reverse so that you're properly centered, sometimes it just doesn't work (i'm thinking it's tied to how strong the gravity is)...but once you get maybe 100 meters up, suddenly the reverse thrusters work again.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ciaphas posted:

The only way to move multiple ships to a new "home" is to get to a destination, buy a cheap piece of poo poo Sidewinder, fly it back, switch to your other ship, sell said piece of poo poo, repeat ad nauseum, right?

Don't these people have space craigslist or something? :mad:

(e) Or maybe I should just sell aforesaid Viper Mk4 for some dosh instead?? Either way I guess I still gotta fly to it :mad::mad:
I use Haulers instead of Sidewinders for my space-taxi purposes, but pretty much. Selling and repurchasing closer to your destination is also an option.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Quite easy to make a space taxi. Get a hauler, remove all modules. Put in D rank everything, except for the FSD which should be A rank. Put in a D rank shield for accidental bumping which might happen. You don't want to travel 100 LY and then explode when trying to dock at a station. I guess you could use a docking computer instead of shields. That's it. When you get to the destination, downgrade the FSD to an E rank. If you're really cheap downgrade everything else to E rank and sell the shield/computer, then sell the ship when you get your new one.

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

IAmTheRad posted:

Quite easy to make a space taxi. Get a hauler, remove all modules. Put in D rank everything, except for the FSD which should be A rank. Put in a D rank shield for accidental bumping which might happen. You don't want to travel 100 LY and then explode when trying to dock at a station. I guess you could use a docking computer instead of shields. That's it. When you get to the destination, downgrade the FSD to an E rank. If you're really cheap downgrade everything else to E rank and sell the shield/computer, then sell the ship when you get your new one.

Did the HaulerTaxi thing to get my asp, and nearly wet my pants twice during that trip.
Getting interdicted by an elite Eagle with rails. Shields insta-hosed, and then hammers on my hull. Fucker even followed me to the next system! (Eagle with 21 ly jumprange ftw)
Finally made a narrow escape with 46% hull.

My SpaceTaxies from now on will be small and fast as gently caress. No point in the extra jump range when i don't survive.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

C4 beam, missiles everywhere else, blow their drives if you can get behind them and their guns if you can't.

Cheers to you and the other chap who responded, but the game has subsequently refused to spawn assassination missions for me to try these loadouts on. I did switch to 4xC2 pulses and a C4 cannon, though, which chews through large hulls very handily.

I also tried Dirty Thrusters. They feel like cheating. I can now out-manoeuvre sidewinders.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Since we've been talking about crashing into stars, a friendly PSA/reminder to my fellow pilots in the black:

Being outside of the exclusion zone does ~not~ mean you are safe...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shadow_333 posted:

Did the HaulerTaxi thing to get my asp, and nearly wet my pants twice during that trip.
Getting interdicted by an elite Eagle with rails. Shields insta-hosed, and then hammers on my hull. Fucker even followed me to the next system! (Eagle with 21 ly jumprange ftw)
Finally made a narrow escape with 46% hull.

My SpaceTaxies from now on will be small and fast as gently caress. No point in the extra jump range when i don't survive.

The rebuy on a Hauler is like 5,000 credits. Who even cares if it gets blown up

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

quote:

Were they changed in an update? I've flown through those and as far as I can tell they're just graphics.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

DreadLlama posted:

Were they changed in an update? I've flown through those and as far as I can tell they're just graphics.

Stationary graphics at that. Most stars are just 3d static images.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah if you fly through a solar flare you should get a massive temp spike. Nothing doing so far, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMoo posted:

Stationary graphics at that. Most stars are just 3d static images.

They're actually not, but the distances, and thus time involved in the image changes take forever. Have a timelapse though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGupxOG853I

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

The rebuy on a Hauler is like 5,000 credits. Who even cares if it gets blown up

Getting blown up, and reset 150 ly back where you started :D

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Picked up a Cobra Mk3 and fitted it for mining last night. Pretty chill and nice and profitable activity, though not one that warrants wearing an HMD since I'll want to browse the net/youtube while waiting for limpets :v:

What should my next step probably be, ship-wise, if I want to continue mining? I've heard Lakon Type-6 bandied about?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Ciaphas posted:

Picked up a Cobra Mk3 and fitted it for mining last night. Pretty chill and nice and profitable activity, though not one that warrants wearing an HMD since I'll want to browse the net/youtube while waiting for limpets :v:

What should my next step probably be, ship-wise, if I want to continue mining? I've heard Lakon Type-6 bandied about?

Asp is a good mining vessel.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've had this game for months (only the base game, not horizons), but only yesterday managed to complete the tutorials / remap the controls more or less to my liking for my Xbox controller, successfully run a couple of delivery missions and dock without killing myself a few times.

Is there any advantage to playing "Open" instead of "Solo" mode as a new player? I tried open for a couple of minutes while doing the first run to McMahon station, but quickly swapped back to Solo because there were a couple of ships loitering in my assigned landing pad and I couldn't dock through them.

Also, I've seen a lot of people suggest the Eagle as a starting ship, but it seemingly has almost no cargo space. If I want to do some trading is there a different good starter ship I should be working towards?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shadow_333 posted:

Getting blown up, and reset 150 ly back where you started :D

That's like six jumps in a proper Hauler taxi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Substandard posted:

I've had this game for months (only the base game, not horizons), but only yesterday managed to complete the tutorials / remap the controls more or less to my liking for my Xbox controller, successfully run a couple of delivery missions and dock without killing myself a few times.

Is there any advantage to playing "Open" instead of "Solo" mode as a new player? I tried open for a couple of minutes while doing the first run to McMahon station, but quickly swapped back to Solo because there were a couple of ships loitering in my assigned landing pad and I couldn't dock through them.

Also, I've seen a lot of people suggest the Eagle as a starting ship, but it seemingly has almost no cargo space. If I want to do some trading is there a different good starter ship I should be working towards?

It's really neat to see other players going about their space business. Also lots of people are really friendly and will strike up a conversation if you're in a combat zone together or whatever :3:

• Locked thread