Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Rumor is Memphis promised Malachi Richardson. I'm gonna barf

If it makes you feel better there's a strong possibility either the Bucks, Jazz or Suns promised him too way higher up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A very Memphis pick

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
looking at the brightside there's a lot of potential there for old testament references, which is good since isaiah canaan ain't done poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

looking at the brightside there's a lot of potential there for old testament references, which is good since isaiah canaan ain't done poo poo

He could actually be ok with Simmons.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

He could actually be ok with Simmons.

As like the 12th man maybe

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Isaiah Canaan is terrible (I think)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Declan MacManus posted:

Isaiah Canaan is terrible (I think)

He is. He can shoot okay off the dribble, but that's really it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's not a terrible pg for a Simmons team.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

CSN Boston reporting that trade talks between the Sixers and Celtics are getting serious with the Sixers' targeting Kris Dunn.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Ty1990 posted:

CSN Boston reporting that trade talks between the Sixers and Celtics are getting serious with the Sixers' targeting Kris Dunn.

Okafor for the #3 is a pretty good trade for both teams.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

poo poo but then Phoenix isn't going to pass on Dragan for Chriss and Minnesota isn't going to take him either so that means no guards fall to the Kings :(

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

I love this so much

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

New Orleans reportedly has contacted the Sixers re: Okafor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's on baby.

I love Okafor and would be sorry to see him go but progress.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I guess it's time to turn Twitter notifications back on for Woj

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I like that fit offensively. Defensive not so much but Ryan sucks there anyway and Asik didn't do much anyway

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

I guess it's time to turn Twitter notifications back on for Woj

gently caress.

Well, if it's like the trade deadline just turn them on for the vertical twitter since that's all he'll tweet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

I like that fit offensively. Defensive not so much but Ryan sucks there anyway and Asik didn't do much anyway

I like him more than Monroe, at least.

e: I guess this means they won't be so dedicated to the fast pace Gentry wants? And I like Asik, though he was always injured this past season.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm ok with Kris Dunn as long as it doesn't prevent philly from taking a shootier PG with one of their lottery picks next season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

I wonder if NOLA would entertain trading the #6 pick for Lou Williams and a future pick. Dell is on the hot seat, they need to make the playoffs, and their bench is thin. If the perception is this is a weak draft and the older senior guys like Dunn and Hield are off the board, I can see them going for the vet/bench scoring from Lou over trying to develop whoever is around at the sixth pick.

Lakers forums are so dumb, he has people agreeing with on this like its some insightful poo poo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hahah, that's pretty bad. Although, if you told me Colangelo traded 24 and 26 for Lou, I would not be shocked.

The trade I think is most likely to happen of all draft trades is 37 to Houston for Nick Young.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

Lakers forums are so dumb, he has people agreeing with on this like its some insightful poo poo

:lol:

We all know it's dumb, but it doesn't event fit Dell's modus operandi. Trading a high pick for an old player isn't something he's done since landing Davis. It goes against his "young vet" vision when trading assets.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Simmons finally worked out for the Sixers.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Stein reporting that it's highly unlikely Rich Paul would have allowed Simmons to workout for Philly without a promise.

This was expected but still it makes me so happy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Stein reporting that it's highly unlikely Rich Paul would have allowed Simmons to workout for Philly without a promise.

Presumptive number 1 pick goes number 1, more at 11.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Here's that annual SI column of anonymous scouts making GBS threads on prospects from 20k feet

quote:

Wade Baldwin, 6'4" sophomore guard, Vanderbilt: "*Sighs.* He'll get picked because of his size and his length, but he just doesn't have that sense of vision to be a floor general. His numbers show he's a good shooter but he takes a little too much time to get his jumper off. One of the longest guards we've see in a while. The question is, can he lead? What he did at Vanderbilt suggests he can't. I think it's pretty well known there was a disconnect between him and that coaching staff. Who's to blame, I don't know. But you're talking about a freak athlete with size. It wouldn't stun me if he goes in the lottery."

quote:

Jaylen Brown, 6'7" freshman forward, California: "Biggest mystery in the draft. What does he do? He's an average ballhandler. He's a below average shooter. In AAU and college he played bully ball, but that doesn't translate to the NBA. Little bit of a funky personality. I don't know that anybody really knows what makes that kid tick. His basketball IQ is lacking. Special physical specimen and athlete. The trouble is when you make him go multiple directions. His last month and a half was awful. Makes me really nervous."

quote:

Marquese Chriss, 6'10" freshman forward, Washington: "I saw this coming at the Pac 12 tournament. You're talking about an above-the-rim athlete, prototypical of the NBA. He's a multidimensional guy. They don't make a lot of 6'10" kids with 40-inch verticals. He didn't always play hard, but he's just a baby. He reminds me of [former LSU forward] Tyrus Thomas. He disappears for long stretches. That's his personality. I don't think he knows he should be a star."

quote:

Brice Johnson, 6'11" senior forward, North Carolina: "Best rebounder in the draft. Quick off his feet. Best paint finisher in college this year, so I don't see how that guy fails. Didn't block as many shots as you'd think but they needed him to stay on the floor so he couldn't foul. Guys who rebound at that pace, they can do it at the next level. I don't think he always plays hard. I believe he's eventually going to be an NBA three-point shooter because he's got a good stroke. He's got rounded shoulders so he's not going to be able to score in the low post."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was some doubt the night of the lottery about Simmons and then again about two weeks ago when Colangelos and Rich Paul were negotiating but now it's 100%

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the rounded shoulders bit on Brice Johnson supposed to mean?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I'm so erect right now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DOOP posted:

What's the rounded shoulders bit on Brice Johnson supposed to mean?

Bad biomechanics that mean he'll have a harder time getting a low center of gravity and moving from that low position. There's no reason he couldn't learn better movement, though

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Very much look forward to simmons to embiid oops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the background appear to be Josh Harris (owner) rich Paul and Colangelo the younger.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

quote:

Ben Simmons, 6'10" freshman forward, LSU: "I would take him first. He's a transcendent player because of his size and his ability to play multiple positions. Shooting is a concern, but that kind of size and skill set doesn't come along very often. There were a lot of things going on with his teammates at LSU. There's no denying he has a big sense of self-entitlement. He's got an aloofness to him that is concerning. The LSU thing was just a s--- show. There was too much allowed to happen. You had a film crew following him around all year. Whatever the concerns, he had one of the most successful college seasons we've seen in recent years. You wonder if he ends up like [Knicks forward] Carmelo Anthony, someone who's a great player but not a winning player."
This is interesting, because I have friends who went to school with AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) kids, and they're segregated from regular students, they have assemblies where they're told how special the sport players are, and they're herded around by red faced men. It makes them odd, aloof, and prone to mental failures, like the swim team at the last olympics, or that tennis guy, Nick.

It will probably do him good to be around a lot of non pampered guys, people who had to scrap to get to the NBA.

Edit: He only went there for a year. I take it back

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Metapod posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--joel-embiid-cleared-to-play-164614686.html

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

There was some doubt the night of the lottery about Simmons and then again about two weeks ago when Colangelos and Rich Paul were negotiating but now it's 100%

There was probably doubt until today. But hey it's over we can move on with our lives.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
More scout quotes from drafts gone by

Harrison Barnes, 6-8 forward, North Carolina: "I can't figure him out. I want him to be better than he is, yet what he is is pretty good. His biggest problem is he doesn't have enough toughness. This is a man's league and I don't know for sure if he's the type of guy who will step on you when you're down."

Will Barton, 6-6 forward, Memphis: "I'm a fan. Tough kid, high energy, he can dribble and pass, and he can rebound well for a little guy. I think he likes to win. He cares. His skinny body worries me a little bit, but he just figures out a way to compete out there."

Jae Crowder, 6-6 guard, Marquette: "Size is an issue because he measured small in Chicago, but he just does enough things well. High motor, high energy, rebounds. For a mid-second-round guy, he's not bad. I don't know quite what his NBA skill is other than he plays hard."

Draymond Green, 6-7 forward, Michigan State: "I'm not feeling [him]. I think he's an average athlete. He has a high I.Q. and he's coachable, so he'll survive for a while. He has versatility, can really handle the ball, and his shot's not broken."

Damian Lillard, 6-3 guard, Weber State: "He's the most unselfish scoring point guard I have ever seen. He's a great kid -- a great kid. He played more like a two in college, but he played on a team where if he didn't score 24 points, they wouldn't have won a game. Who was he supposed to pass to? He has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, like he's out to prove people wrong."

Steven Adams, 7-foot center, Pittsburgh: "You see him work out and he does some things athletically at that size that are impressive. He's a funny kid. Different personality than we're used to dealing with. He had no clue how to play. Remember, he's from New Zealand. It's not like he came from Lithuania, where the culture centers around basketball. He grew up on a surfboard."

Anthony Bennett, 6-8 forward, UNLV: "He got soft as the year went on. Why? His desire to play defense is another question. He's a good athlete but not a great one. He's going to be a better player in the pros than he was in college, because when he was in college he played with selfish teammates."

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, 6-6 guard, Georgia: "He takes tough shots, but he makes a lot of 'em. He can score in a multitude of ways. He scores really high in our analytical projections. His weight is a concern because he'll have to defend some of the stronger two guards, but that's about it. He's a great kid, just a southern nice guy, not overwhelmed by the process."

Tony Mitchell, 6-9 forward, North Texas: "I think he's Shawn Marion. He's that good of an athlete. The problem is he falls in line with the Royce Whites of the world where they think they have everything under control. I mean, if you're the only NBA player in the Sun Belt, how is your team one of the worst in the league? Overall intelligence is a question, too. That's something we're digging into. You don't have to be a rocket scientist, but you have to have some innate intelligence. He just didn't have a good year."

::(:(:(:(
Adonis Thomas, 6-6 forward, Memphis: "He has a great body, but he hasn't produced the numbers we all expected when he came out of high school. He relies too much on his jump shot instead of punishing people going to the basket or posting up. The fact that he wants to be Joe Johnson is borderline ridiculous. He's a four, we're debating whether he can be a three, yet he calls himself a two."
:(

Jordan Clarkson, 6-5 guard, Missouri. "I like him, but I don't like what happened to his team. Broad shoulders, tiny waist, pretty skilled. He can guard two positions. Heavy right hand, jump shot is inconsistent. He has good size, but I don't think he's a true point guard. I think he's a two trying to play point guard."

Rodney Hood, 6-8 forward, Duke. "He's a little vanilla. Good shooter, not an elite shooter. Doesn't dribble well enough, doesn't pass much but he can rebound. I do like his versatility. He's bigger than you think. He has a chance to be a rotation player. I don't know if he can be a starter."

Sean Kilpatrick, 6-4 guard, Cincinnati. "I don't get why people are projecting him so low. The guy was the best player in that league. He's strong as a bull, and he can play point guard."
:):):)

Justin Anderson, 6’6” guard, Virginia: “Extremely athletic. The question is, was his shooting this year a mirage or is it real? He’s got 5% body fat. The new buzzword in our league is ‘three and D.’ Can you make threes and can you defend? He’s a guy I think who can do that. He’s not an elite shooter yet, but Bradley Beal only shot 28% from the three-point line in college. He’s a little bit rigid mechanically.”

Emmanuel Mudiay, 6’5” guard, China: “He’ll be at the Brandon Jennings-O.J. Mayo level. From what I saw of him at the Hoop Summit, I wasn’t blown away. I’m not convinced he’s an elite passer. Everyone talks about how athletic he is, but he’s not going to be like Russell Westbrook or John Wall. I was in China recently, and they all said he was a great teammate, good guy, responsible guy, not an idiot in any way. Just a big, strong point guard. Shooting is his biggest weakness, but I think he made progress on that over in China.”

Norman Powell, 6’4” guard, UCLA: “He is a great athlete. If he wasn’t so bow-legged, he would look taller. I don’t trust his shot one bit, but I like his versatility. You have to turn him into a monster defender. I think he’ll end up being a better pro than he was a college player. He’s a decent midrange shooter but not a good distance shooter.”

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

There's no reason to have a workout if there's a sincere promise to draft someone #1 overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ragle posted:

There's no reason to have a workout if there's a sincere promise to draft someone #1 overall

It allows the franchise to save some face.

• Locked thread