Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My only Sym complaint is the way she gets treated like a healer when she should really be in the defensive category. Maybe that's not so much a fault of the game itself as players' interpretation. When 'no support heroes' pops up it should really say 'no healers' and it should only be filled by Mercy/Lucio/Zen. Symmetra is a builder and a defense hero, but I guess that would skew their categories too much? Whenever I want to play her I usually have to wait until everyone else has picked and then jump on her at the last second when no one is watching. Otherwise the Mercy will instantly swap to a 3rd Genji and I will cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

double support rules so hard

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

My only Sym complaint is the way she gets treated like a healer when she should really be in the defensive category. Maybe that's not so much a fault of the game itself as players' interpretation. When 'no support heroes' pops up it should really say 'no healers' and it should only be filled by Mercy/Lucio/Zen. Symmetra is a builder and a defense hero, but I guess that would skew their categories too much? Whenever I want to play her I usually have to wait until everyone else has picked and then jump on her at the last second when no one is watching. Otherwise the Mercy will instantly swap to a 3rd Genji and I will cry.

The category is support, and that's what she does. Shields, teleporters, defense, it's all support.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea symmetra's all about providing her team the tools to win

there should be a separate tooltip for not having a healer. replace the sniper one with it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

symmetra can't fight multiple opponents at once because her beam locks on. the beam can do a lot of damage, but it's a set amount of damage like winston so there's no room for skill involved. anyone with decent aim can easily outgun a lone symmetra and a lot of characters can out position her because symmetra has no mobility options. her alt fire is also very powerful but it has a charge time and is the slowest projectile in the game; you're not gonna hit much outside of reinhardt and people that don't know you're there. her turrets are super useful but not offensively. they slow people down and let you and your team know where the enemy is coming from, but they're also really easy to kill. you can get a shitload of assists with them but you're not gonna be taking on the enemy team by using your turrets because you can only shoot one of them while they can all shoot you or otherwise just ignore you entirely because your turrets can't move. setting up in a room somewhere isn't helping your team at all even if you get kills because of this. the teleporter is incredibly useful but, again, it's for supporting your team. the shields are the same way. she can make an even match go in your favor, but you can't be a dm god with symmetra because her kit doesn't allow for it. mostly her eliminations are gonna be coming from assists off of good turret placement, which is also important since that's how she builds up charge for the teleporter

i lost track of what we were supposed to be arguing about

nobody is saying symmetra is a genji/hanzo style hard damage Carry™ that can annhilate a team in the hands of a skilled enough player, that should have been obvious?

sorry for using the dota term when i meant something else. symmetra can carry drag, kicking and screaming, her team to victory in the right situations, which i guess is what she's supposed to do as a Support™.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sometimes I kind of miss the days when developers were completely clueless about this stuff.

That's what happens when the kids who abused this stuff grow up and become designers and developers, I guess.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/XylariaVG/status/745120504273502213

:zenpop: I'm not even sure how one reaches that conclusion.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, that got creepy fast.
Time to flush my browser history.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Transmogrifier posted:

https://twitter.com/XylariaVG/status/745120504273502213

:zenpop: I'm not even sure how one reaches that conclusion.

Uh... ice block in front of him while your super coordinated team uses the 3 seconds to win the game? I don't know. And Rein I'm really clueless on. You can shield his bullet hose for about 4 seconds, or you can charge him so that you make a nice easy expanding target to add +1 elimination to his PotG?

E: I know hating on Bastion is overdone, but man I wish his turret form had a locked 180 degree or even 270 degree field of fire, or something. The number of times on various characters I've managed to flank one and sneak up undetected and still can't put nearly enough damage into his crit bulb before he turns and instakills me is just sad.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 21, 2016

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

Uh... ice block in front of him while your super coordinated team uses the 3 seconds to win the game? I don't know. And Rein I'm really clueless on. You can shield his bullet hose for about 4 seconds, or you can charge him so that you make a nice easy expanding target to add +1 elimination to his PotG?

Key words here are "super coordinated team."

BobTheJanitor posted:

E: I know hating on Bastion is overdone, but man I wish his turret form had a locked 180 degree or even 270 degree field of fire, or something. The number of times on various characters I've managed to flank one and sneak up undetected and still can't put nearly enough damage into his crit bulb before he turns and instakills me is just sad.

He used to only have a 180 degree rotation in sentry form, but it was made even worse for the opposing team because he also had his own personal barrier. I think it had 1000 health? So imagine having to chew through the Reinhardt barrier and the Bastion barrier. It made it a lot easier to flank him but geezus christ it was still a pain in the rear end. Perhaps a better change would be to slow his turning speed while in sentry to make it easier to deal with him when you sneak up on him like that.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've killed bastion with mei's alt fire a few times. it's not exactly a counter but you can do it I guess

reinhardt is probably just so that someone can sit behind you and kill the bastion

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I played against a team of 5 Junkrats and a Widowmaker on Gibraltar today. Grenades and traps everywhere, then five riptires in quick succession wiping our team a few times. Pretty drat annoying. We did manage to pull a win on the defense though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Bastion is no problem at all with Mei. Right click him till he notices you. Then ice wall in his face and use that time to either move forward to another cover point (and repeat as needed), or corner peak around the wall and right click him. This gives the rest of your team a ton of time to do the same. The ice block just makes this especially easy because you can throw it up right before you're going to die and then your wall will be back off cooldown.

The bastion can heal up while you're frozen, but that's fine since that means he's not shooting your team during that time.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
"Healer" should be a separate category, and no rational taxonomy would put Symmetra and Toblerone in different groups

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Manatee Cannon posted:

symmetra can't fight multiple opponents at once because her beam locks on.

Sure you can. They just have to be lined up, and preferably thinking they are comfortable and safe behind a Rein shield. I got a triple kill the other night with one fully charged ball. :smug:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zorodius posted:

"Healer" should be a separate category, and no rational taxonomy would put Symmetra and Toblerone in different groups

Exactly this. They're both clear descendants of the TF2 engineer. And throwing regenerating shields on teammates is pretty close to peppering the point with armor packs. The only real distinction comes in their ults, where Torb has an offensive one, Sym's teleporter is more support-ish. Probably also the least exciting ult, too, but that's a different discussion.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
reposting this because symmetra's ult is the most exciting ult, even in high level play

https://www.twitch.tv/eghuk/v/73414920?t=4h55m8s

Also unrelated but I kinda like huk's stream. Makes me kinda wonder if EG will pick up an overwatch roster.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
~exciting~ or not Symmetra's alt is mad good

Altho if they wanna keep saying she is a support hero they better buff dat sheilds to 50.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

Altho if they wanna keep saying she is a support hero they better buff dat sheilds to 50.

It would probably need to be proportional to the character's HP, because an extra 50 on a Roadhog or a D.Va is not even noticeable since they're already bullet magnets, but it would be godly on a good Tracer. And it would probably take testing and tweaking to get it right. But if it was beefy enough to notice and actually change your playstyle around, it becomes kind of like having a weak on-demand heal for everyone and then it could theoretically take the place of an actual healing class. Right now it basically blocks one or two stray shots and it's gone, if you even notice it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So Blizzard are taking out the "Avoid This Player" feature because whiny babies were using it on skilled opponents, instead of using it on jerks.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

quote:

For example, we recently realized that “Avoid this player” was wreaking havoc on matchmaking. One of the best Widowmaker players in the world complained to us about long queue times. We looked into it and found that hundreds of other players had avoided him (he’s a nice guy – they avoided him because they did not want to play against him, not because of misbehavior). The end result was that it took him an extremely long time to find a match. The worst part was, by the time he finally got a match, he had been waiting so long that the system had “opened up” to lower skill players. Now one of the best Widowmaker players was facing off against players at a lower skill level. As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous.

I really wish they'd decided to tweak it instead of throwing it out altogether. For example, what if it only affected your own team? That way, you could still decide "I never want this rear end in a top hat as my teammate", but you couldn't go "this player's too good and I don't want to fight them".

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

The golden Zenyatta orbs own

does anyone know if the golden gun changes weapon effects as well? if I can throw up giant walls of gold and freeze the enemy team into golden statues like some kind of deranged king midas, then I know where my first 300 "competitive points" are going.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

So Blizzard are taking out the "Avoid This Player" feature because whiny babies were using it on skilled opponents, instead of using it on jerks.

I really wish they'd decided to tweak it instead of throwing it out altogether. For example, what if it only affected your own team? That way, you could still decide "I never want this rear end in a top hat as my teammate", but you couldn't go "this player's too good and I don't want to fight them".

That's what happens when you put something as unfun to play against as widowmaker in the game.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 21, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People clearly aren't using Symmetra's ult to its full capability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4uUTnfFKes

e: It's also hilarious that Blizzard looks at all the complaining about Widowmaker, and the fact one of top widowmaker players in the world is also the most avoided and thinks "Hmmmm.. this is clearly a problem with the avoid player function. Nothing else could be wrong"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

~exciting~ or not Symmetra's alt is mad good

she used to but they nerfed it to 25, I guess because it made her too good and everyone always picked her. 50 shield is a full third of a tracer's health added on top, plus it regenerates so I can see where they were coming from if so

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Another thing I used to think because I'm retarded was that Symmetra started out near indestructible with a large compliment of shields and that every time she placed sheilds on another person it took from her shield pool and halved it onto her 'shield buds', lowering her survivability but increasing her targets hence why when I shielded my whole team they all wound up with piddly amounts because I assumed I was supposed to prioritize, but no, you just need to manually place them for some reason, I don't know, gently caress you. that's why.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the 50 shield a thing in the height of Genjyatta where you would have Genji with a Symmetra shield and a permanent Harmony Orb on him just tearing through back lines because how do you deal with a Genji with that much effective hp.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I think so

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

oh that is entirely the wrong lesson for blizzards to learn here

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zoness posted:

Wasn't the 50 shield a thing in the height of Genjyatta where you would have Genji with a Symmetra shield and a permanent Harmony Orb on him just tearing through back lines because how do you deal with a Genji with that much effective hp.

Zenyatta and Symmetra were once good and useful is what I'm taking away from this.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Motherfucker posted:

Zenyatta and Symmetra were once good and useful is what I'm taking away from this.

no. you think you hated pre-nerf mccree?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kamikaze Raider posted:

no. you think you hated pre-nerf mccree?

ironically wouldn't prenerf mcree just shut that poo poo down.

Plus wouldn't Zenyatta have to be present for the genjiing meaning he would have to be in visible range and therefore already dead of widowmaker.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

ironically wouldn't prenerf mcree just shut that poo poo down.

Plus wouldn't Zenyatta have to be present for the genjiing meaning he would have to be in visible range and therefore already dead of widowmaker.

harmony orb used to not require line of sight on your orb target

keep that in mind every time you think "man this ability would be really good if I didn't have to stay in LoS" because yes, yes it would be.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Discord didn't either, meaning unless you were one of the few classes who could get rid of it, once Zenyatta threw it on you, you essentially had 33% less health permanently and constant wallhacks on you.

Zenyatta used to be so op, and giving him 25 more health would make him super op with Symmetra once more.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, I really would've preferred they iterate on this rather than just toss it out completely. There are some players I would genuinely like to avoid grouping with that has nothing to do with how good they are.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Most of harmony orbs strength came from Genji and Tracer specifically - the two could disengage very quickly and heal up to full. Having a 25 hp/s orb indefinitely on basically any other character wasn't a huge deal, maybe Reaper too but not nearly as much.

And blizzards record shows they are quite adamant about not changing Tracer

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zoness posted:

harmony orb used to not require line of sight on your orb target

keep that in mind every time you think "man this ability would be really good if I didn't have to stay in LoS" because yes, yes it would be.

If I was gonna be the nerfmeister I'd have made it so that the orb only heals or debuffs when you're in LOS to zenyatta but remains on you till removed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

prenerf mccree with 250 health would not be a positive change

also symmetra is already good

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
King's Row is full of ghosts. How do I make sure something like this never happens again?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe there's a reason people are avoiding Widowmaker players as opposed to literally any other hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe there's a reason people are avoiding Widowmaker players as opposed to literally any other hero.

Maybe that is one example and a reasonable person would assume that they wouldn't remove an entire function for one guy having trouble matchmaking.