Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Travis343 posted:

When DC rebooted their universe into the 'New 52' continuity, the Superman from the old universe was shuttled off into a pocket world by Brainiac who was collecting cities from all eras of DC comics publishing. During this time he and Lois had a kid, Johnathan Kent. A little after, the family made their way into the New 52 universe, where there already was a Superman and a Lois Lane (who were not married and in fact had a rather contentious relationship). So Superman, who has a beard now, saved people secretly, and Lois wrote books under a pseudonym. The younger Superman native to this world recently died, and now time-displaced Clark has shaved his beard and started wearing the costume and being Superman publicly. Johnathan is slowly developing his superpowers.

Oh, so they're going to be redoing the first couple of volumes of 'Invincible'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superman (2016) #1

"Then one time, Dad gave me cake because I helped him shore up all the flood waters around our farm. And the farm next door got flooded.
And I asked Dad what to do and he told me to eat my Hero cake, because I deserved it....While he went and saved the farm next door. And all the farms in the town from flooding.
Because my Dad is cool like that."

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

When DC rebooted their universe into the 'New 52' continuity, the Superman from the old universe was shuttled off into a pocket world by Brainiac who was collecting cities from all eras of DC comics publishing. During this time he and Lois had a kid, Johnathan Kent. A little after, the family made their way into the New 52 universe, where there already was a Superman and a Lois Lane (who were not married and in fact had a rather contentious relationship). So Superman, who has a beard now, saved people secretly, and Lois wrote books under a pseudonym. The younger Superman native to this world recently died, and now time-displaced Clark has shaved his beard and started wearing the costume and being Superman publicly. Johnathan is slowly developing his superpowers.

I thought Jonathan Kent was around before New 52? Not long before, but I thought he was introduced then. Or is this not the same one?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Idran posted:

I thought Jonathan Kent was around before New 52? Not long before, but I thought he was introduced then. Or is this not the same one?

You're thinking of Christopher Kent, who was Zod's kid that Clark and Lois adopted for a while

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

"Then one time, Dad gave me cake because I helped him shore up all the flood waters around our farm. And the farm next door got flooded.
And I asked Dad what to do and he told me to eat my Hero cake, because I deserved it....While he went and saved the farm next door. And all the farms in the town from flooding.
Because my Dad is cool like that."

And then when no one was looking, Lex Luthor took Jonathon Kent's cake and 39 more cakes from the other farms. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

You're thinking of Christopher Kent, who was Zod's kid that Clark and Lois adopted for a while

Ah, okay; thanks!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Travis343 posted:

I love that DC's solution to the complexity of their continuity is and has been for the last 3 decades "Establish the existence of multiple realities/timelines and then burn most to the loving ground".

How many of these events have there been now?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
*Noticing that in the flashback Alfred is drinking tea from bone china while in the original issue he's drinking from a mug, the writer sighs and starts storyboarding the resurrection of the Anti-Monitor*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Breetai posted:

It doesn't matter, because there'll be another one in about 5 years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

Wasn't he also 1/2 of the Fabulous Night-wing and FlameBird?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sorry, tired, VERY wrong thread

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Breetai posted:

*Noticing that in the flashback Alfred is drinking tea from bone china while in the original issue he's drinking from a mug, the writer sighs and starts storyboarding the resurrection of the Anti-Monitor*

Whenever you notice something like that... an alternate universe Superman did it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I thought it was a sweet few pages :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, it absolutely is, we're just grumpy and jaded.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Also it doesn't work so well in comic when a few pages later Jonathan heat visions his cat to death, leaving only a charred skeleton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

Also it doesn't work so well in comic when a few pages later Jonathan heat visions his cat to death, leaving only a charred skeleton.

Curse you Dr. Manhattan! Stealing all the good from the universe! Thank god we have Geoff Johns here to assure our comics are happy and optimistic now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"I had a cat once. I buried his rear end on the moon"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The cat scene was kind of heartbreaking and was played that way, it was just a kid trying to protect his pet and his powers overwhelmed him.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

X-O posted:

The cat scene was kind of heartbreaking and was played that way, it was just a kid trying to protect his pet and his powers overwhelmed him.

Sad, but also counter to the earlier scene with Superman and the horses.

With the horses, it's classic old school DC. Superman saving the day and doing unambiguous good, looking out and caring for everything - while his son, the new legacy for the Superman family - watches on. Then a few pages later it's Jonathan Kent and his horrible tragic inability to control his powers and the angst and pain that act causes.

If it had kept the former tone, I'd have been really happy. I love that All-Star Superman/Whatever happened to Truth, Justice and the American Way representation of Superman. As it is it's like they really wanted to add some modern Man of Steel style angst to Superman & Son, which is exactly the kind of stylistic decision I was hoping Rebirth would move away from.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sad, but also counter to the earlier scene with Superman and the horses.

With the horses, it's classic old school DC. Superman saving the day and doing unambiguous good, looking out and caring for everything - while his son, the new legacy for the Superman family - watches on. Then a few pages later it's Jonathan Kent and his horrible tragic inability to control his powers and the angst and pain that act causes.

If it had kept the former tone, I'd have been really happy. I love that All-Star Superman/Whatever happened to Truth, Justice and the American Way representation of Superman. As it is it's like they really wanted to add some modern Man of Steel style angst to Superman & Son, which is exactly the kind of stylistic decision I was hoping Rebirth would move away from.

It's going to him learn how to use his powers. This is him realizing that he needs to learn how to control his powers. With Clark it was breaking Pete Ross's arm.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Breetai posted:

I love that DC's solution to the complexity of their continuity is and has been for the last 3 decades "Establish the existence of multiple realities/timelines and then burn most to the loving ground".

It's ridiculous, but it makes for a nice big spectacle and the ability to reset whenever they want. All it costs is a massive chunk of the audience's goodwill and ability to be invested in the stories and huge headaches to all the writers. None of that makes much of a difference to editors.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

. I love that All-Star Superman/Whatever happened to Truth, Justice and the American Way representation of Superman.

Do you mean "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" or "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It's going to him learn how to use his powers. This is him realizing that he needs to learn how to control his powers. With Clark it was breaking Pete Ross's arm.

"I accidentally broke someone's arm" and "I horrifyingly murdered a pet" are not remotely on the same spectrum.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Whatever happened to Pete Ross anyway? It feels like he kinda got left out development wise compared to the other small-town chars

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Breetai posted:

Ok, let's see if I have been paying attention

Crisis on Infinite Earths - Multiverse becomes just a few universes
Zero Hour - Did nothing? Except kill Paralax?
Infinite Crisis - Multiverse is back
Identity Crisis - Justice League is full of douches and being a civilian loved one is dangerous
Final Crisis - Killed Darkseid
Flashpoint - Everything happened in the past 5 (10?) years. Yes, Batman has gone through more Robins than you have pairs of shoes in 5 years time.
Rebirth - All the stuff that happened because of Flashpoint was because Dr. Manhattan stole hope and love from DC comics

I don't know if Rebirth counts as a "crisis" style event, but you could argue that it is.

So 6 or 7? I think I'm missing one or two.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CzarChasm posted:

Identity Crisis - Justice League is full of douches and being a civilian loved one is dangerous
Flashpoint - Everything happened in the past 5 (10?) years. Yes, Batman has gone through more Robins than you have pairs of shoes in 5 years time.
Rebirth - All the stuff that happened because of Flashpoint was because Dr. Manhattan stole hope and love from DC comics

I don't know if Rebirth counts as a "crisis" style event, but you could argue that it is.

Well, Convergence, but that wasn't a reboot either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

Well, Convergence, but that wasn't a reboot either.

Well it completely retconned and invalidated Crisis on Infinite Earths. Literally. They went back and changed the outcome of that event.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Every event was better than Armageddon 2001, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toshimo posted:

Every event was better than Armageddon 2001, though.

Yes. As I've said before, that was the first time as a kid I found out that comics could disappoint me. The big bad is Hawk of all people. I understand now years later that it wasn't supposed to be, but man it just sticks in my head because it was the first time comics had kind of fell flat for me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's ok, dp. They fixed it all better when they timeline swappedCALLOUSLY MURDERED Hawk to save Atom Smasher's mom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zero Hour was the launch point for Starman, so there's that at least.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC, Zero Hour was meant to fix some stories that were kind of broken after the first Crisis, like Hawkman's backstory, and the Legion of Superheroes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Waverider discovers an anomaly in time which he deduces as The Crisis/Multiverse. But yeah, it's a softy-soft realignment that didn't really do much to DC as a whole aside from nudging the JSA into Legacy status (though it tinkered with individual character history: Bats doesn't arrest/confront Joe Chill in his personal history, Guy Gardner has alien heritage now, there's more of a sliding time to stories since Superman's appearance is pegged to a nebulous '10 years ago' instead of a hard date, and a bunch of possible/alternate futures get wiped).

Final Crisis was also supposed to be "DCU gets reimagined by SuperWish to be a more hopeful place" but then they ran dick first into, like, Blackest Night after that and no one got Morrison's memo.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 21, 2016

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

"I had a cat once. I buried his rear end on the moon"

EDIT: Don't know the issue sorry.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry if it'll inspire massive derailments every time, but if the new Superman is anything like the team's last comic*, a touching and or poignant scene of Superman and or Son WILL be posted roughly every two weeks.

I'm not sorry :devil:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 21, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry if it'll inspire massive derailments every time, but if the new Superman is anything like the team's last comic*, a touching and or poignant scene of Superman and or Son WILL be posted roughly every two weeks.

I'm not sorry :devil:

Damian is just full of cute moments, hopefully we'll get some good ones during both Teen Titans and Super Sons(really want to see how both his teammates and Jonathan react to finding out about his menagerie of pets, especially Goliath and Bat-Cow)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CzarChasm posted:

Millennium was supposed to be, but very little came out of it. Invasion! is full of small, important changes happening. (G-Mo starting his version of Doom Patrol, Maxwell Lord gaining his powers, etc) invasion! is a fun read nobody ever remembers...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Infinitum posted:

EDIT: Don't know the issue sorry.

Oh man I have a cat and I haven't seen her in months since I moved overseas and this hit way to close to home. Stupid mooncat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's me, I'm crying in zero gravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Has there been a Damian/Jonathan team up yet?