Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I keep doing this unintentionally in the new dungeons. Like, walk up, stop and then the mobs start aggroing despite being a fair distance away. :shrug:
The one boss fight in hullbreaker hard that starts the instant you step over the purple line is annoying in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Not compatible with Steam, sadly! Ridiculous seeing as I don't even use Steam to log in, but there are at least 4 different sets of licences for this game so god knows what they were thinking.

Well, thank goodness Steam Summer Sale is soon.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Zereth posted:

The one boss fight in hullbreaker hard that starts the instant you step over the purple line is annoying in that.

Augh, yeah that bugs me. I like the fight in general, since battling a whole crew of Pirates while their ship fires on you is a fantastic scene, but it really sucks when somebody unwittingly locks somebody out because the rules of engagement changed for this one fight. Not that it's hard with just three, but it's slow going.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aphrodite posted:

Here's the trick as DPS:

Run ahead and pull, but then say "Oops".
Not as relevant now that it's not in EXDR, but this was my go-to technique for the last stretch of the Antitower. If the tank didn't bother to pull all the Wind-Up guys into the room with the Centaurs, I just kept autorunning until they spawned and started attacking me. Because screw it, I'm a BLM, I have a mitigation cooldown and I want big numbers on Flare.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Pretty much near as I can tell, unless your DPS is exclusively Bards and Machinists, you want to keep things moving. MCHs being the only class that benefits from lulls to just build free ammo stacks from quick reload.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Any DPS is greater than 0 DPS, which is what you do when you've got both thumbs up your rear end doing a ready check for trash.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If tanks are sitting on their asses after a Scholar has just popped a crit adlo for Deployment Tactics, I will pull with absolutely no apology. My FC has learned to move their asses when they see me priming a fully buffed Empyreal Arrow because they know I will absolutely do it. :getin:

I pulled the second boss of Weeping City this way on day 1 of the patch.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not as relevant now that it's not in EXDR, but this was my go-to technique for the last stretch of the Antitower. If the tank didn't bother to pull all the Wind-Up guys into the room with the Centaurs, I just kept autorunning until they spawned and started attacking me. Because screw it, I'm a BLM, I have a mitigation cooldown and I want big numbers on Flare.

I hope you die in a fire, which I would let you do for that crap

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
What kinda lovely tank doesnt pull those hallways in one go? Pretty sure i was doing that on day one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
lovely tankchat aside, presale tickets for the NA Fanfest go on sale in 3 minutes, just a heads up!

edit: refreshed and already got into a queue :shepface:

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2016

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
this queue sucks, you can't even see an estimated time or what place in line you're in

it just sits there doing nothing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

this queue sucks, you can't even see an estimated time or what place in line you're in

it just sits there doing nothing

It could also pop unexpectedly and if you don't buy anything at that time, you'll lose your spot. It's like crystal tower queues but in real life.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LethalGeek posted:

I hope you die in a fire, which I would let you do for that crap

Honestly, the dungeons are easy enough that I have the most fun when one or more party member is behaving like an idiot.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
2 different browsers, and 2 additional phones all in queues as sometimes I have had luck with various devices in showclix in the past. Have seen some reports of people getting in but I have been in these queues since 3:00 :/

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Captainsalami posted:

What kinda lovely tank doesnt pull those hallways in one go? Pretty sure i was doing that on day one.
When you're new and 30 ilvls behind the crowd things change. I'd do it now cause I can keep up better & know what's going on but for a while at ~200 I had to bust my rear end just to hold enmity in a lot of dungeons.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
their loving site crashed as i was inputting how many tickets i wanted, great website a++

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I usually try to keep the pace up in 4/24-mans, so if someone actually does run way out ahead of me and pull, or pull while we're still fighting the last thing, it's a rare occurrence and I generally let them eat poo poo. I mean, pulling more/faster than I normally do requires outright belligerence.
I can't imagine not max-pulling in antitower, but if the healer was bad enough that I decided I needed to and some BLM or whatever went ahead and grabbed the rest, I would not pick those mobs up until the healer got aggro.

LethalGeek posted:

When you're new and 30 ilvls behind the crowd things change. I'd do it now cause I can keep up better & know what's going on but for a while at ~200 I had to bust my rear end just to hold enmity in a lot of dungeons.

Your ability to hold enmity should not be very closely related to the number of things you're fighting.

Klades fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 21, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I don't really envy fresh tanks in max level content. Even if they know what they're doing and didn't just derp their way to 60 through fates or something, the gear differential would be pretty drat painful at first.

An existing player leveling a tank alt can get around that by just doing things on their main job until they've geared the tank well enough, but a new player leveling a tank as their first main doesn't have that luxury.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

sword_man.gif posted:

their loving site crashed as i was inputting how many tickets i wanted, great website a++

They're using the same ticket seller that PAX uses. I've never had problems with it - just be patient. I'm not sure what you mean by "site crashed" but you should be able to reload and keep your spot in queue.

quote:

Getting an error page will not result in you losing your place in the queue or tickets in your cart.

The queue is made of many, many servers. In the unlikely event that you get an error page, it is possible that you landed on a misbehaving server or group of servers. This is why we painstakingly monitor for misbehaving servers and take them out on the fly.

If you encounter an error, just refresh once or twice. There is a good chance you'll be returned onto a behaving server. If the error persists, please do not continue to refresh repeatedly — you'll risk getting throttled or blocked.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

lovely tankchat aside, presale tickets for the NA Fanfest go on sale in 3 minutes, just a heads up!

edit: refreshed and already got into a queue :shepface:

https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/745337653898395649

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

They're using the same ticket seller that PAX uses. I've never had problems with it - just be patient. I'm not sure what you mean by "site crashed" but you should be able to reload and keep your spot in queue.

it 500 error'd for everyone for a little bit, just annoying since i had just gotten through

see you nerds at fanfest

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I basically refreshed right when my computer hit 12pm and was immediately queued. I've not refreshed and have been queued since then.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Got my ticket, I had the following in queues:

3:00 on the dot: Chrome
3:01 Internet Explorer
3:05 IOS Chrome
3:07 Android Chrome

The 3:00 queue let me in at 3:22 and it took 5 minutes to process my CC and send a confirmation.

From what I understand, the site crashed right around the time I got my confirmation message.

The 3:01 Chrome browser is still spinning.... hope others got in :(

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Downtime posted:

The 3:01 Chrome browser is still spinning.... hope others got in :(

i got in on chrome so it'll work on that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Klades posted:

I usually try to keep the pace up in 4/24-mans, so if someone actually does run way out ahead of me and pull, or pull while we're still fighting the last thing, it's a rare occurrence and I generally let them eat poo poo. I mean, pulling more/faster than I normally do requires outright belligerence.
I can't imagine not max-pulling in antitower, but if the healer was bad enough that I decided I needed to and some BLM or whatever went ahead and grabbed the rest, I would not pick those mobs up until the healer got aggro.
I mean, if the healer is bad I probably notice it when the tank eats dirt on a previous large pull, so I'm not going to mess around then. Dying is the only thing slower than small pulls. But in general, hell yes those hallways will be one pull, and if the tank doesn't like it then I'll facetank those four idiots while I spit hot fire. (and probably die if the healer and tank both decide to not have my back, but that's the risk I take!)

(also being undergeared was less of an issue when Antitower was current because we were all running around in 220 crafted with 210 weapons or whatever and it's average ilvl 200 to get in - admittedly, I haven't tried it lately, but I'd imagine it's quite possible for me to not notice an undergeared tank and make it an issue)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
40 minutes in, it popped. I'm going. Nice.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are there any guides to leveling up the gathering jobs?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vil posted:

Yeah, I don't really envy fresh tanks in max level content. Even if they know what they're doing and didn't just derp their way to 60 through fates or something, the gear differential would be pretty drat painful at first.

An existing player leveling a tank alt can get around that by just doing things on their main job until they've geared the tank well enough, but a new player leveling a tank as their first main doesn't have that luxury.

I'm doing the expert dungeons as a 205 tank, and it's only a problem when the dps is 230+ melee character. Casters either take long enough time for me to get a good lead, or are bad. Probably both. A geared monk or dragoon takes a lot of effort to keep threat against, but thankfully at their gear level they can shrug off a few hits as well as I can. Bosses aren't as hard as trash as I can usually push a few extra cooldowns to get my lead, and many of the mechanics buy me some extra time while the DPS is dealing with it, but I can't afford to drop into Deliverance very often.

I actually like it. I can't just run into a group, overpower 3 times, and then grab a snack.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SirPhoebos posted:

FSH: It levels like crafters. Buy a bunch of fish and spam leves and you'll be level 50, then spam collectibles to 60. Simple.

MIN and BTN: Do exclusively evaluation leves (card contains a girl with flowers or a miqo'te fishing) and grind that poo poo. ALWAYS have your FC gathering exp bonus and a consumable bonus on. It really helps to have a level 60 gatherer (FSH) so you can spend blue scrip and get the best consumable EXP boosters, because the blue scrip boosters have a huge exp multiplier and at low levels there's no way you'll ever hit the exp limit before the time runs out.

Past level 50, spam collectibles. You will become very familiar with old world figs and yellow copper ore.

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER
See you all in Vegas!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sure leves are faster and all, but I liked just going out and actually fishing while chatting and/or just listening to music or reading.
:shobon:

I think this was the guide I used to help.
http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-fishing-fisher-leveling-guide-a-realm-reborn/

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

a kitten posted:

I'm sure leves are faster and all, but I liked just going out and actually fishing while chatting and/or just listening to music or reading.
:shobon:
I did this too, but around level 30~40ish it got so unbelievably slow I started going kind of insane, so I switched to cheating through it.

Also, if you don't already, a controller helps with fishing because the rumble is an easy indicator of the type of fish you're going to pull up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, that's true. Gotta balance your time/budget/sanity.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Aphrodite posted:

Here's the trick as DPS:

Run ahead and pull, but then say "Oops".
Once a run is generally an oops, but if this keeps happening I'm going to start thinking that they want to tank more than I do and, being the magnanimous soul I am, I'll let them. That being said I do like keeping the pace up and I completely understand if DPS pulls a bit early because of wanting to maintain their buffs. It's when they start pulling extras after I've parsed how much the group can handle that I start to get annoyed. There hasn't really been any of that recently since the exdr's lately have had enough space between encounters that can be linked that it's pretty much a guaranteed dps/time loss unless the entire party does it.

SirPhoebos posted:

I leveled mine mostly through GC turn ins via gil. If you want the supremely lazy way.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Was playing the latest section and got to the dungeon with the 200 item level requirements, and stopped since I'm only at 180.

What's the fastest way to get to 200, besides outright buying it? (not that rich)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Buy a full set of crafted 220 gear.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Get friendly neighborhood crafters to make crafted 220 for you. What server are you on? I can cover rightsides, and I know someone who can make the leftsides if you're on Faerie, and if you're on Excal there will be goons lining up to help you.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I'm level 60, item level 142 and am doing the MSQ. I'm in 3.2 and am gated by a dungeon requiring a 180 item level. What is the best way for me to get my gear level up? Do the 60 dungeons drop items or only the tomes?

Edit: Just saw the answer to the same question a few posts up, whoops! :doh:

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 22, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, thank goodness Steam Summer Sale is soon.

Exactly what I'm holding out for :getin:

Thanks for the answers guys. Hit 50 on my Monk and 49 on my Paladin tonight :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I'm level 60, item level 142 and am doing the MSQ. I'm in 3.2 and am gated by a dungeon requiring a 180 item level. What is the best way for me to get my gear level up? Do the 60 dungeons drop items or only the tomes?

All of the level 60 dungeons will drop gear except for ARF, which is packed with tomestones instead. Use that gear until you get the tomestones you need to buy the item level 200 equipment. They're right cheap, so it shouldn't take too long.

• Locked thread