Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Firstborn posted:

Braid was made for 180k.

Braid has a really beautiful art style but it is not as lively animated as Rayman Legends or Rayman Origins or Cuphead or Shantae or Mighty Switch Force HD or Skullgirls or a lot of really smoothly animated games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Shovel Knight is really a freak exception, yeah. While there's some huge successes here and there like Shovel Knight and the insane freakish success that was Minecraft, most indie games fail.

Also making video games sucks and don't go into the games industry as it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Firstborn posted:

So what are you saying looked like poo poo? The platforming? I thought we are just talking about 2d vs. 3d

The plat forming in cuphead. Including visually. The individual assets are great, but it's clear that the game just wasn't meant to have actual platforming stages because it's a cluttered mess that looks like the same 2 inches of background looping eternally.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's too bad that UbiArt engine isn't available for public release or licensing yet. Ancel wanted it to be.

The Colonel posted:

Braid has a really beautiful art style but it is not as lively animated as Rayman Legends or Rayman Origins or Cuphead or Shantae or Mighty Switch Force HD or Skullgirls or a lot of really smoothly animated games.

I agree 100%.

Btw I don't know poo poo I just like 2d animation a lot.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 21, 2016

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

Shovel Knight is really a freak exception, yeah. While there's some huge successes here and there like Shovel Knight and the insane freakish success that was Minecraft, most indie games fail.

Also making video games sucks and don't go into the games industry as it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Please play Brigador, everyone :sigh:

Firstborn posted:

Braid was made for 180k.

Most of the money went to the artist, who frankly put out some pretty bland looking art next to anything I've seen come out of a large dev studio over the past 20 years. It still required a lot of money to accomplish even that much.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I agree with the statements re: Braid. The point I was trying to make was that it cost 180k and they did and it took 2(?) years of dev time to make a 2d game. AFAIK MN9 had 3 years and 4 million and it looks more like a XBLA title than it. Making games is expensive and stupid but they could've done 2d if they wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Who do I complain to if I also got a steam code mixup? Humble Bundle, Comcept, the kickstarter?

I've been playing the direct PC install and everything's fine on that end, but I'd like to put it on Steam so I can cross-platform it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Firstborn posted:

Braid was made for 180k.

The artist was paid in exposure.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Who do I complain to if I also got a steam code mixup? Humble Bundle, Comcept, the kickstarter?

I've been playing the direct PC install and everything's fine on that end, but I'd like to put it on Steam so I can cross-platform it.

My Ray code was mixed up with a Retro code, but I just now went in to my Humble library and found a new Ray code. I hadn't submitted a ticket.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The DLC and Retro DLC were combined for me. It even said Ray and Retro DLC for the Download Code.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Klades posted:

My Ray code was mixed up with a Retro code, but I just now went in to my Humble library and found a new Ray code. I hadn't submitted a ticket.

Oh, neat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not anymore though, they just released an update for it a little while ago.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/745311041987371008

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ, Sonic, he's already dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Might Number 9 is still better than Sonic Lost World.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Larryb posted:

Not anymore though, they just released an update for it a little while ago.

Well that's good, hopefully I'll be able to play it with no significant problems after work

loving :lol:

Lurdiak posted:

Now this is just not true

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Holy poo poo, Sonic. :(

Also, my PSN code worked. If anyone else had issues, I think now is the time.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Firstborn posted:

I agree with the statements re: Braid. The point I was trying to make was that it cost 180k and they did and it took 2(?) years of dev time to make a 2d game. AFAIK MN9 had 3 years and 4 million and it looks more like a XBLA title than it. Making games is expensive and stupid but they could've done 2d if they wanted.

It also has a larger team and was, for what its worth, aiming to be something a bit more complex than Braid ended up being.

They could have made the game in 2D, but it's been established, repeatedly, how expensive it is to do sprite work in general. 2D art and animation are time consuming to accomplish. You can't just assign some random dude these tasks and expect Rayman Origins or Fire Emblem Critical Animations or even Mega Man Zero 1-4 or Azure Striker Gunvolt all over the place.

Also note that one thing even major developers have done with 2D art over the years is REUSING sprites. Because it's expensive and time consuming to redraw animated sprites again and again with each iteration of a series. People laughed at how Morrigan's sprite in Darkstalkers/Marvel never changed, but that poo poo cost a lot of time and money to implement in the first place, and that doesn't get into all of the other costs that come with game development.

Think of a game like Odin Sphere. Then think about the recent HD re-release they did, where they REDREW EVERYTHING so it would look nice in HD, and then added new animations for all the playable characters for combat (on top of basically remaking the entire everything else about the game, namely making it fun, because Odin Sphere originally released as the most beautiful garbage fire of a game on PS2). People got upset that the game still cost 60 bucks on PS4. Honestly, I'll be amazed if they even break even on the re-releases alone with how much they must of spent on it. There are advantages to having a publisher willing to bankroll you.

You can love 2D art all you want. I love it as well. It's expensive to do, and to an even greater extent if you want it to look good AND be part of a good videogame.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's one hell of a lie your living there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jarogue posted:

That's one hell of a lie your living there.

Neither of them is worth playing so does it really matter?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I actually like Lost World a lot.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

:same:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i'm glad after so many years the sonic twitter account is giving us the 'tude we've been promised all along

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, it's not a knock-out like Colors or Generations, but it's a good, fun title

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Lost world had a mixed reception and quite a few haters were looking for a new puppy to kick since sonic games being bad is a meme.
Like a lot of them didn't even know that the last two that came out were highly praised. Sonic 2006 was ten years ago.

Why are you bringing up lost world and not the more recently released and thoroughly panned SONIC BOOM, a buggy lovely shameful mess known for actually being worse than 2006?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

i'm glad after so many years the sonic twitter account is giving us the 'tude we've been promised all along

Giving the Sonic Twitter account to some anime meme person is somehow the best use of the IP since the 90s

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So, have PS4 users not received their game keys yet? I got my Humble Bundle email and it has three DLC codes but not the actual game code. Am I missing something?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Acne Rain posted:

Lost world had a mixed reception and quite a few haters were looking for a new puppy to kick since sonic games being bad is a meme.

Sonic games being bad isn't a meme so much as it is an accurate descriptor

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Say what you will about Lost Worlds but at least it looks gorgeous, has solid art direction, and the music is incredible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dresh posted:

So, have PS4 users not received their game keys yet? I got my Humble Bundle email and it has three DLC codes but not the actual game code. Am I missing something?

I got one single code that had everything baked in. :psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Say what you will about Lost Worlds but at least it looks gorgeous, has solid art direction, and the music is incredible

It looks boring, the art direction is meh and the music is average.

(The rest of it is bad too)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now that I've played past the intro stage the gameplay itself isn't that bad, even the whole "dash into enemies to defeat them" thing was easier to get the hang of than I thought (though most minor enemies will go down to the normal buster if you shoot them long enough). The controls can be reconfigured and the voice acting can be turned off (though I didn't think it was that terrible honestly. Not good mind you, but I've certaintly heard worse). For those that have played a bit, which of the 8 stages/bosses is the easiest one to start with?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

SLW actually works and doesn't have any outstanding technical issues like every single version of this game.

Objectively speaking, it's far, far better than MN9.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Glass houses, man...

How the gently caress do you fight Cryo?

I'm liking this game. You don't have to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sonic colors and generations were good

that's my sonic opinions

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Look I know MN9 is bad and all but that doesn't mean we have to start praising awful trash fires like Lost World

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lurdiak posted:

Mighty Number 9 is still better than Sonic Boom.

Fixed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As awful as Sonic Boom was, at least it didn't hardlock the Wii U like MN9 does and the game has a lot more going on graphically to boot. Lost World was mediocre and Sonic Boom was awful, but MN9 is mediocre and has crippling technical problems on a lot of systems that can make it drat near unplayable. I'm hearing reports of the PSN codes not working, the Steam version randomly deleting your save files and ridiculous load times followed by hard locks of the Wii U version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As awful as Sonic Boom was, at least it didn't hardlock the Wii U like MN9 does and the game has a lot more going on graphically to boot. Lost World was mediocre and Sonic Boom was awful, but MN9 is mediocre and has crippling technical problems on a lot of systems that can make it drat near unplayable. I'm hearing reports of the PSN codes not working, the Steam version randomly deleting your save files and ridiculous load times followed by hard locks of the Wii U version.

There's been an update to the Wii U version so it doesn't do that anymore, not sure about the other versions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

How the gently caress do you fight Cryo?

Just keep dashing when she is up in the air,
if you have to take damage take it from been frozen not when she slams in to you,
when she is on the ice pillar move far away from it and then walk slowly to her so that most of her shot go behind you
and be prepared to jump dash since she always put a ice trap in front of her.