Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't this the same designer who Vlaada sat down and explained, "If half the cards are bad and the game is balanced on you drawing 2 good cards and 2 bad cards, then sometimes you draw 4 bad cards and the game is unplayable or 4 good cards and the game is trivial"? Good to know he learned absolutely nothing.
I went back and read the blog and it sounds like he did do some trimming, but maybe just didn't apply the same principle to all of the decks. But yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Other highlights of Vlaada design wisdom from part 1 and 2 are "maybe increasing the difficulty when the player is already losing isn't a great idea".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I like Hanabi because the rules are pretty clear. "Point at a number", "Point at a colour", "I'm going to toss my leftmost card unless someone tells me not to", "I'm keeping the card you point at unless I have a drat good reason not to", "I won't throw a card if you flinch when I grab it", "If you point at a 3 and I could place a Red 3, the 3 you've pointed at better be red"...

By which I mean is that the only way to play Hanabi according to the rules is via texting. And even then you'll develop a meta for communicating more information than expected, or spend half the time playing fun police.

This has only ever been a problem for me when playing with 10 year olds, and younger.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had an Amazon list, but decided to patronize my FLGS instead. I ended up getting Cash N' Guns and Spyfall. Just reading Spyfall's directions after I got home made me smile. Really excited to get that to the table. Out of everything I wanted, CnG was something that I've seen recommended here the most, and my group tends more towards party games than anything crunchy, so I went with that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I only played Imperial Settlers once but it seemed pretty fiddly and boring. I don't think Ignacy spends enough time fine-tuning his games from a mechanical standpoint.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Do any Australians in this thread source their GMT wargames locally (like the Coin series). Most places will stock Twilight Struggle and Dominant Species but since Milsims closed down I haven't worked out which local stores stock wargames. You can order direct from GMT but they subsidise shipping to the tune of usd$60 which I think loses them money.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Daily reminder not to buy Wizkids stuff.

hey, it's only been seven months since I put in a replacement request for damaged parts on my mage knight expansion, they might still bother to reply... some day

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

dishwasherlove posted:

Do any Australians in this thread source their GMT wargames locally (like the Coin series). Most places will stock Twilight Struggle and Dominant Species but since Milsims closed down I haven't worked out which local stores stock wargames. You can order direct from GMT but they subsidise shipping to the tune of usd$60 which I think loses them money.

I've seen some of their games at good games, but it's patchy.

In my experience GMT subsidise p500, but standard orders are shipped by the option you pay for (so surface is pretty slow, but they don't dip into their own pockets.)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Last two orders I have had have arrived by ups air mail two weeks after the p500 even if I choose the cheapest option. The postage cost on the package is more than what I paid for the game, and more than the 20usd I paid. Would rather not screw them tbh.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Fair enough. I've only ever got the subsidy on p500 orders.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
There is a KickStarter on at the moment related to expansions to the Resident Evil deck-building game. It is asking for 30,000 dollars.

If the KS succeeds, the organiser will use the money to approach Capcom and ask them to make more expansions. Probably hand over the money in doing so. If that fails, they will try to buy the right to make an expansion from Capcom. They have no expansion material in mind. The normal cost to chip into this is 1 or 5 dollars, bit if you give 25, you will get an undetermined extra.

There is no mention of what if they don't get any permission from Capcom. There is no mention of any previous KS experience or game making experience.

How did this even get set up?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

There is a KickStarter on at the moment related to expansions to the Resident Evil deck-building game. It is asking for 30,000 dollars.

If the KS succeeds, the organiser will use the money to approach Capcom and ask them to make more expansions. Probably hand over the money in doing so. If that fails, they will try to buy the right to make an expansion from Capcom. They have no expansion material in mind. The normal cost to chip into this is 1 or 5 dollars, bit if you give 25, you will get an undetermined extra.

There is no mention of what if they don't get any permission from Capcom. There is no mention of any previous KS experience or game making experience.

The barrier of entry to put up a Kickstarter project is a paragraph of text and an image. Maybe once a month there'll be a Star Wars 2 or something and staff rarely looks at them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The idea of a kickstarter to give Capcom free money is amazing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fat Turkey posted:

It can't be any worse than the actual RE deckbuilder

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the GOT deckbuilder good? It was a rec at the game shop, and I'm intrigued, but didn't want to drop the money on it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
If you actually mean a deckbuilder, I have no idea it existed but assume trash for many good reasons (including not knowing it existed).

If, on the other hand, you mean the LCG, it's pretty good, just make sure you're buying into the current edition.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lichtenstein posted:

If you actually mean a deckbuilder, I have no idea it existed but assume trash for many good reasons (including not knowing it existed).

If, on the other hand, you mean the LCG, it's pretty good, just make sure you're buying into the current edition.

It had a bunch of expansions, so I'm assuming the LCG. The guy described it as a deck builder, which threw me off. He definitely should preface the fact it's a LCG if he tries to sell that to other people.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A lot of people aren't really aware that "deckbuilder" has any connotation other than "any game where you perform an activity that could be described as "building" something that could be described as "a deck" at some point before or during the game". Some get actively hostile if you tell them the term has a specific meaning in the context of hobbyist games.

The same people will tell you that their favorite "worker placement" game is Carcassonne. Because you PLACE WORKERS in it, so it must be a worker placement game, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Did it look like this?

If so, it's a great game, probably my number 1 all around. You really need two boxes to build real decks (but that will give you enough for 4 players easily), but it's absolutely worth it if you like MtG, AGoT, or card games in general. Also, it's currently 50% off at Barnes & Noble for their summer sale (in store only), so you could pick up two for $40 total there.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bottom Liner posted:

Did it look like this?

If so, it's a great game, probably my number 1 all around. You really need two boxes to build real decks (but that will give you enough for 4 players easily), but it's absolutely worth it if you like MtG, AGoT, or card games in general. Also, it's currently 50% off at Barnes & Noble for their summer sale (in store only), so you could pick up two for $40 total there.

Yep, that one. I'll keep it in mind.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I went back and read the blog and it sounds like he did do some trimming, but maybe just didn't apply the same principle to all of the decks. But yeah, that's pretty much what happened.

Other highlights of Vlaada design wisdom from part 1 and 2 are "maybe increasing the difficulty when the player is already losing isn't a great idea".

Here's something I'm wondering, how does the design of something like Robinson Crusoe compare to something like Ghost Stories where both are cooperative games that are intentionally kick-your-poo poo-in hard? I haven't played RC so I'm not sure of how it plays. All I see from Goon-census is that it's largely bad.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ghost Stories is very much not my thing, and I and my wife *like* co-op games and treat them as co-operative puzzle solving.

Most co-ops are really just you and limited resources against a semirandom horde of some kind/mounting pressure and Ghost Stories is sure like that but with dice to resolve poo poo, no idea how that gets a free pass in this thread but different strokes :shrug: I mean I think RC gets a bad rap so who am I to complain about dice of all things.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mister Sinewave posted:

Ghost Stories is very much not my thing, and I and my wife *like* co-op games and treat them as co-operative puzzle solving.

Most co-ops are really just you and limited resources against a semirandom horde of some kind/mounting pressure and Ghost Stories is sure like that but with dice to resolve poo poo, no idea how that gets a free pass in this thread but different strokes :shrug: I mean I think RC gets a bad rap so who am I to complain about dice of all things.

You're not supposed to be rolling dice in ghost stories except to save poo poo, you don't roll if you don't have the gems unless you're crazy and/or desperate.

GS is fine, not really my cup of tea either but it's a solid game that I'd play if others wanted to.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I guess, I just really :effort: that game. Even played it enough to win a few, before knowing there was better stuff out there.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there a good resource for buying trading games locally? Trying to beef up my collection without breaking the bank.

(I'm in Calgary)

Texibus
May 18, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Is there a good resource for buying trading games locally? Trying to beef up my collection without breaking the bank.

(I'm in Calgary)

Best bet is to hit up local meetups and boardgamegeek.com auctions for local sellers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

w00tmonger posted:

(I'm in Calgary)

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-calgary/board-games/k0l1700199

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Are Cool Mini or Not games just style without substance? Shut up and Sit Down plugged their Kickstarter for Massive Darkness, but my impression of their other products (i.e. Zombicide) has been 'fantastic miniatures to entertain you, because the actual gameplay won't'.

I've never played one though, so I can neither confirm nor deny.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Has anybody had a good experience with One Night Ultimate Vampire? My group played the hell out of ONUW and were really excited about the new stuff, but it's fallen flat every time we try it. It seems like if we use predominantly ONUV roles than the role cards don't get moved around enough to make the game interesting and if we predominantly use ONUW cards there's not enough going on with the marks to make them worth including. Maybe we've just used bad combinations of roles, any suggestions on how to make it work?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Obama 2012 posted:

Are Cool Mini or Not games just style without substance? Shut up and Sit Down plugged their Kickstarter for Massive Darkness, but my impression of their other products (i.e. Zombicide) has been 'fantastic miniatures to entertain you, because the actual gameplay won't'.

Gameplay video for Massive Darkness looked alright, they basically ignore complex monster AI in favor of allowing the heroes to abuse the simple aggro rules. It gave me a strong Warhammer Quest vibe though with XP going to killshots and (almost?) completely random encounters.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Obama 2012 posted:

Zombicide is indeed pretty simple, but not awful if you want a game about mowing down zombies with dice rolling. Arcadia Quest is great. Xenoshyft is poo poo.

So yeah, their games are all over the place.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

(I'm in Calgary)

There isn't really a lot aside from the online options mentioned that I'm aware of. Maybe you could hit up Fallcon or something in a few months? Meetup might work, but from what I'm seen many aren't well attended. Aside from Meet, Eat, and Compete, which is awesome but there's no buying/trading so not what you're after. It's getting better, but considering we only just got our first board game cafes around here I think Calgary has been a bit of a deadzone until recently.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

silvergoose posted:

You're not supposed to be rolling dice in ghost stories except to save poo poo, you don't roll if you don't have the gems unless you're crazy and/or desperate.

GS is fine, not really my cup of tea either but it's a solid game that I'd play if others wanted to.
I still think Ghost Stories is a decent game, but one that requires 4 people that are on board with what it is to be enjoyable.

Robinson Crusoe sounds somewhat similar, in that it apparently requires players that are completely disinclined to question game design in any capacity.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Zombicide is indeed pretty simple, but not awful if you want a game about mowing down zombies with dice rolling. Arcadia Quest is great. Xenoshyft is poo poo.

Blood Rage is also great. I think they're batting about 33/33/33 between great/eh/bad games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I live in a small(ish) town and Meetup lists 3 or 4 different board game groups. Granted my small(ish) town is less than an hour away from Washington D.C. but you'll be surprised what you can find online.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

So CMON is actually a weird publisher in that it employs many design studios. This leads to some inconsistencies. Think of the ASMODEE umbrella of design studios, but for mini-heavy games.

Zombicide: Studio Guillotine
Arcadia Quest: Spaghetti Western Games
Xenoshyft: Actually CMON as far as I can tell

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

So CMON is actually a weird publisher in that it employs many design studios. This leads to some inconsistencies. Think of the ASMODEE umbrella of design studios, but for mini-heavy games.

Oh yeah, this explains a lot.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've had Mysterium sitting on the shelf for a while waiting for a chance to get to play it. Finally had a chance last night and I thought it was really fun. The artwork in the game is also pretty great.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Reason posted:

I've had Mysterium sitting on the shelf for a while waiting for a chance to get to play it. Finally had a chance last night and I thought it was really fun. The artwork in the game is also pretty great.

Were you the ghost and if so did you make spooky ghost sounds while delivering your visions while wearing a sheet?

Also, for some reason in the resolution phase when I'd let the players know whether they've guessed right or wrong, I somehow always channeled Muray Povich," Player X.... that is NOT your vision."

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

djfooboo posted:

Any word on which is responsible for Massive Dorkness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Obama 2012 posted:

Rum and Bones is trashy as gently caress but very entertaining.