Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Spudd posted:

Serious Sam is a good game though???
Yeah, but nobody said it's not. They just said it's not like Doom, which is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I see I'm not the only child who was terrified of Phobos Anomaly.

Phobos Anomaly is a real good level.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tiggum posted:

I'll concede that the rocket launcher can be useful earlier, but I get kind of paranoid about running out of ammo for it.
Oh. Oh god. You just reminded me of all the explosives-hoarding I used to do in campaign games. Thanks for that. :cripes:

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

I love the monster infighting in Doom. I think you're slightly wrong about how it works though. Enemies are immune to the projectiles of their own species (barons of hell and hell knights count as the same species for this) and so an imp that gets hit by another imp's fireball will ignore it, but it is possible for two imps to get into a fight with each other if one hurts the other in another way (like by blowing up a barrel). If that happens they will throw (harmless) fireballs at each other, but also can scratch each other, which does hurt them. Enemies with hitscan weapons can hurt each other fine and will infight frequently, and enemies with melee attacks only can't miss with them and so will only infight in retaliation, so demons and spectres can never start fighting each other like that.

Another funny aspect about that, in 1.1 and prior, if a monster blew up a barrel on itself, it would start fighting itself

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

I love the monster infighting in Doom. I think you're slightly wrong about how it works though. Enemies are immune to the projectiles of their own species (barons of hell and hell knights count as the same species for this) and so an imp that gets hit by another imp's fireball will ignore it, but it is possible for two imps to get into a fight with each other if one hurts the other in another way (like by blowing up a barrel). If that happens they will throw (harmless) fireballs at each other, but also can scratch each other, which does hurt them. Enemies with hitscan weapons can hurt each other fine and will infight frequently, and enemies with melee attacks only can't miss with them and so will only infight in retaliation, so demons and spectres can never start fighting each other like that.

Is this only for Doom 1? I ask because this isn't the case for Doom 2, which has a map with 'own species' infighting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is this only for Doom 1? I ask because this isn't the case for Doom 2, which has a map with 'own species' infighting.
It's always true for enemies that fire visible projectiles - but it doesn't apply to hitscanners, who'll shoot and aggro each other no problem, even among the same enemy type. Might that be what you're thinking of?

That Barons and Hell Knights won't infight was for some time thought to be because they shoot the same type of projectile, but it's actually a hardcoded exception in the Doom II engine. Some console ports and Doom 64 don't have that exception, letting them infight each other as they would any other monsters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember playing a series of maps back in the day that were entirely focussed around getting monsters to kill each other, kinda similar to Nuts, but, y'know, playable. It made Doom into more of a puzzle game, since you only had enough ammo to kill a few enemies in each area.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

LogicalFallacy posted:

Also, I had to pause the video and look at E1M8 in DoomBuilder, and then sit for a bit and wonder how the hell I didn't know about that hidden switch. (I'm a mildly obsessive 100%er, so not knowing that I'm missing something drives me absolutely nuts.)

Was your mind blown? Because that's the exact feeling I was ragging on about in the last two videos, despite it being the smallest thing ever. it's pretty great.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I grew up with Doom II, so its always fun to see Doom I videos because I keep thinking 'I know this map!' only to realize I only played/beat it (Doom) once or twice as compared to the dozen or so times on the sequel.

Yeah, I only had Doom 2 In my childhood as well. Although, when I came back to Doom later, I did end up playing Doom 1 way to many times as well...

Spudd posted:

Serious Sam is a good game though???

Woebin posted:

Yeah, but nobody said it's not. They just said it's not like Doom, which is true.

Exactly. I like Serious Sam and everything. It just doesn't fill Doom's shoes for me.

Tiggum posted:

Thanks for the clarification and extra details.. I'm not the greatest at explaining nuanced things like this.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The music was REALLY hard to hear this time, I didn't even realize there was music in the first level until I saw the little music thing pop up for the second level.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Gloomy Rube posted:

The music was REALLY hard to hear this time, I didn't even realize there was music in the first level until I saw the little music thing pop up for the second level.

:cripes: Sorry. I didn't have the music on a separate track from the game audio on this one. It ought to be straightened out from now on.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I notice you're running it in widescreen. Do you have a widescreen mod of some kind, or is it just stretched out?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Petr posted:

I notice you're running it in widescreen. Do you have a widescreen mod of some kind, or is it just stretched out?

Yeah, there's some kind of strange resolution things going on with Doom.

I don't know if it's some strange technical thing, I don't know about but when I run Vanilla Doom, the aspect ratio is all strange. It doesn't fill out the screen from top to bottom, so I just ended up stretching it to fill the screen all the way when editing.

Edit: Just came across this

I feel kind of stupid now, but at least I can correct things better in the future.

E2: Found a workaround. Gonna reupload in a few hours, and you all can let me know if it looks awful or not.

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 20, 2016

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Temin_Dump posted:

Edit: Just came across this

~ART~

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose there's a mod to replace the face?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

https://youtu.be/hBYNJEpI9TI
All righty, guys. Let me know if this is better. If so, I'll go forward with it for the rest of the videos.

Poil posted:

I don't suppose there's a mod to replace the face?

You bet there is

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Temin_Dump posted:

https://youtu.be/hBYNJEpI9TI
All righty, guys. Let me know if this is better. If so, I'll go forward with it for the rest of the videos.

You bet there is

that is absolutely better, yeah. the audio of you guys talking though seems very quiet though; for most LPs my volume is set at 20 but for yours I need to bump it up to 30 to be regularly audible.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Part 3 is up

No objections to the aspect ratio correction, so I'm going forward with it!

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 21, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Cacodemons (which are cute and awesome) are basically beholders that look like an astral dreadnought's face. I mean, they look really like an astral dreadnought's face.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

What the hell is an 'Olive Garden'?

Also I've been sitting in a Lost Soul tattoo design for like 8 years now. I think they are the coolest and neediest design I can get if I wanted a video game tattoo.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Spudd posted:

What the hell is an 'Olive Garden'?

Fake Italian.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lady Naga posted:

Fake Italian.

It's good, when I visited the US.. But they sure do love their cheese.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh god, it's that red room in Deimos Lab with the flashing blue textures on the pillars :gonk:

It wasn't that bad on the video here, but when I was playing the 360 version a few years ago that room was genuinely making me feel a bit nauseous. The fact I was playing in a dark room at 6 AM and hadn't slept at all might've had something to do with that. The textures in that level are pretty unpleasant in general, to be honest.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I went to Olive Garden once when I was 13 or 14. I had the fettuccine alfredo, and I remember liking it. I'm still not gonna eat there again because I'm old enough to cook, and the spaghetti carbonara that I make is probably better than anything they serve over there. Also, there are many Italian restaurants in New Jersey, NYC, and across the Northeast, so there's no reason to eat at Olive Garden in this part of America (but that doesn't stop them from having a location in Manhattan, probably to capitalize on the people visiting from Nebraska or wherever).

Gamewise: does the lava have the exact same texture as the teleporter? If not, they look awfully similar.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Y-Hat posted:

Gamewise: does the lava have the exact same texture as the teleporter? If not, they look awfully similar.

Not the same texture at all. Doesn't look similar to me, but they both have a lot of red. It's subjective I guess.

E: Realized you could have been talking about the blood texture. A lot closer in color, It does probably look pretty similar in low resolutions

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Huh, so it isn't. Maybe you were playing quickly enough that I couldn't get a good enough look.

Also I'm not sure why somebody posted this in a different LP thread, but it works better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I quite like Sandy Petersen's maps - despite feeling pretty rough, the textures are interesting. The gameplay in a bunch of them, too, makes them stand out a bit. Some nice ideas here and there. Kind of a shame that for a good chunk of Doom 1 he was pretty much tidying up Tom Hall's maps, which are clearly rooted in the Wolf 3D mindset.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

chrisoya posted:

Cacodemons (which are cute and awesome) are basically beholders that look like an astral dreadnought's face. I mean, they look really like an astral dreadnought's face.
Not as delicious as the Cocoademons unfortunately.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Fun fact: Berserked fist have a higher dps than the chainsaw, and they don't glue you to the enemy you're attacking, so I generally default to that for melee.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Huh, so it isn't. Maybe you were playing quickly enough that I couldn't get a good enough look.

Also I'm not sure why somebody posted this in a different LP thread, but it works better here.

At least use period appropriate instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

nielsm posted:

At least use period appropriate instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo
Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7-5WYOKxE

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm split on episode 2 because I don't think Tom Hall was a very good map designer, but it's the episode I remember most from playing as a kid. They do sort of resemble what I'd imagine future refineries and lab facilities might look like, but I've always had a "yeah sure whatever" attitude about level naming.

My biggest problem with Tom Hall's maps is that they sprawl loving everywhere. Here let's have a mile long tunnel that circles the map for no reason. I guess it could be a weird artifact from early development since, iirc, those maps are largely unchanged from the alphas. They're also very flat, which is probably another early development artifact.

I kind of wish they would've just tossed all his maps in the trash and started over. Maybe keep some of the set pieces and general ideas but throw all the sprawling bullshit out.

Also, iirc, if Doom came out with its original design vision, e1m1 would've been a giant crate maze.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cacodemons aren't cute.

Cacodemons are adorable.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Y-Hat posted:

thank mr arvill

SirSamVimes posted:

Cacodemons aren't cute.

Cacodemons are adorable.

I nearly bought the official cacodemon plush a while back, but it was sold out. Had to settle for the pain elemental instead, which is currently sitting above my monitor. It's cute and all, but... it's just not the same...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seeing that crate maze took me back to that Proteus/Suspicious 2007-style LP of Quake II, where Proteus was constantly complaining about how abundant they are. It even looks tedious here, and it's only a small part of the level, so I'm amazed that they became a thing in subsequent FPS games in the '90s.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Temin_Dump posted:

Part 3 is up

No objections to the aspect ratio correction, so I'm going forward with it!

I still fondly remember that first level - some 20 years after first playing this game - because it was the first time my friends and I discovered telefragging in a game. It was a complete accident as we were running away from everything on the other side of the teleporter in the first room and we turned an Imp that was trying to follow us into mush. We then spent hours trying to kill everything in a level with a teleporter if it was available; we even went so far as to play the game on the second highest difficulty (because cheats didn't work on Nightmare), turn on God Mode then lure every monster in the level to the teleporter and watch them kill each other. It's pretty easy to entertain a 10 year old with ultra-violence apparently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Re: telefragging: These are vague memories from playing around with DeHackEd, but IIRC if give a monster a ridiculous amount of health and the payer a ridiculous amount of health, one teleporting into the other just results in them getting stuck in each other and not being able to move rather than dying.

Re: E2M2: I always loved how co-op players started in different locations in this level, and the raising floors in the blood pool room. But I didn't know about that first soul sphere and I don't think I ever went through the yellow door either. I played way more of episode one than any of the others until Doom II, which I played a lot of the first third or so but not so much after that.

Re: enemies: That first non-boss Baron is one of the best ever examples of a boss coming back as a regular enemy, because in the first episode they really stand out and are genuinely tougher to beat than anything you've seen before. By the time you see one in episode two, it's actually not that much of a challenge and doesn't seem out of place as a normal enemy. And thematically it works since you're now entering hell and it makes sense that the biggest demon to make it to the world of the living so far is a one that's actually relatively common.

And Lost souls are the best enemy design. They're just cool.

I don't remember what level comes next, but I hate Deimos Lab. As you were playing it I just kept thinking "Oh god, this level. I hate this level." I don't know if the next video is going to have me going "Oh right. No. This level. I hate this level." or if it's going to be a point of contention.

0 rows returned posted:

I'm split on episode 2 because I don't think Tom Hall was a very good map designer, but it's the episode I remember most from playing as a kid. They do sort of resemble what I'd imagine future refineries and lab facilities might look like
What I really love about the level design in Doom is how it gets more hellish as it goes on. Like, episode one is mostly plausible as a space research facility, but with a few bits that are out of place, episode two is sort of a mix of human elements and hell, and episode three is just straight hell.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aa2K_firtI

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Y-Hat posted:

Seeing that crate maze took me back to that Proteus/Suspicious 2007-style LP of Quake II, where Proteus was constantly complaining about how abundant they are. It even looks tedious here, and it's only a small part of the level, so I'm amazed that they became a thing in subsequent FPS games in the '90s.

and yet speedrunners just go "nope, gently caress that" and grenade jump through all the bullshit.

You have to admire speedrunning, the things you can do that make you just go "oh thank god I don't have to put up with this anymore", like 80% of the "cutscenes" in Half-Life games

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Cacodemons aren't cute.

Cacodemons are adorable.
Totally. The cuddliest ball of pure concentrated evil to ever grace gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is a Doom II mod but it's too good to post later.

ah someone posted this already lol

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 23, 2016