Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think this game would be better off without widowmaker but you might be going a bit too hyperbolic with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Golden gun pics in this article

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/21/11989140/overwatch-golden-weapon-photos-competitive-play-details

They're exactly what you think they would be. I'm just glad they didn't get lazy about the characters with alternate weapons like Mercy Tjorb and Bastion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only problem I have with snipers is when they sit 20 billion miles away from anything being worthless like in battlefield

you can't really do that here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snipers are a fine mechanic as long as they have meaningful drawbacks. In Overwatch terms being able to damage enemies from outside of their range is important as it allows counters to otherwise oppressively strong concepts. Widowmaker is a bit too strong for a sniper but that doesn't mean snipers as a whole or bad or inappropriate. Having a character class who is able to 'delete' a high-value target is necessary in team games.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you ever find yourself wanting to play a sniper just go Zenyatta instead. Whenever I get sniped by a good Zenyatta I'm like, Nice!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone tell me what "enhanced deadzone controls" are and why I should be excited about them on PS4.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

If you ever find yourself wanting to play a sniper just go Zenyatta instead. Whenever I get sniped by a good Zenyatta I'm like, Nice!

I've pretty much never used him but I wonder what it'd be like if Zenyatta had like a short range scope

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I do feel pretty smug when I toss a fully charged Zen bolt across the map and take Windows head off.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah it's a lot like the gunslinger engy in TF2. Just flick it out anywhere, around a corner, whatever. Then run the other way and bounce around distracting the enemy while your little turret spanks them from behind. I think once people spend a little time with it they'll start to realize just how useful an instant distraction can be.

No gunslinger engies turrets aren't complete and utter poo poo and you get more than one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ImpAtom posted:

Snipers are a fine mechanic as long as they have meaningful drawbacks. In Overwatch terms being able to damage enemies from outside of their range is important as it allows counters to otherwise oppressively strong concepts. Widowmaker is a bit too strong for a sniper but that doesn't mean snipers as a whole or bad or inappropriate. Having a character class who is able to 'delete' a high-value target is necessary in team games.

It's not as if Overwatch has any other characters capable of taking out high priority targets. I guess the others do actually have to put themselves at considerable risk to do so, though, so they're clearly not ideal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, Pharah is a much higher pick than Widowmaker right now - why is Widowmaker's existence a big deal?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huxley posted:

Someone tell me what "enhanced deadzone controls" are and why I should be excited about them on PS4.

the deadzone on a controller is an area at the center of the analogue sticks where motion isn't detected. the smaller the deadzone, the more of your actual movement of the stick is picked up. I guess they're just adding the ability to adjust the deadzone

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
52nd best Hog by 'score per minute'.

At level 51 my experience so far with hero balance is: Soldier 76 is probably the most solid pick, followed by the Hog for solo pubbing. Hanzo is retardedly powerful and could use a nerf, probably nerfing his hitbox is a good idea, I never see a game without him being played anymore. McCree is dog poo poo and the nerf went too far, yes you can do work by consistently headshotting but so can anyone for the most part. Mercy and Lucio almost always are mandatory picks if you want to win, Zenyatta is lovely, and Zarya is underrated and underplayed. I'm really looking forward to competative, though I usually play with very high level players who tend to work as a team anyway, as with most team games if your mmr is poo poo you will get lovely team players and won't get much from the game.

Also I have no idea what to pick Valkyrie or Devil mercy ;(.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

It's not as if Overwatch has any other characters capable of taking out high priority targets. I guess the others do actually have to put themselves at considerable risk to do so, though, so they're clearly not ideal.

Considering that a lot of characters specialize in blocking off areas or area denial, being able to break those sieges semi-safely is actually pretty important, yes.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Bopping people off the objective to their doom in Ilios as Winston is my new favorite thing. By 3x hanzo 2x genii team!

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Zoness posted:

As far as I know, Pharah is a much higher pick than Widowmaker right now - why is Widowmaker's existence a big deal?

Oh because people hate snipers in general when they die to them. Happens in most FPS games that include snipers. People would rather remove them entirely than to just jump on them with Winston or some such strat.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Supercar Gautier posted:

So Blizzard are taking out the "Avoid This Player" feature because whiny babies were using it on skilled opponents, instead of using it on jerks.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

I really wish they'd decided to tweak it instead of throwing it out altogether. For example, what if it only affected your own team? That way, you could still decide "I never want this rear end in a top hat as my teammate", but you couldn't go "this player's too good and I don't want to fight them".

I avoided that guy, he had like 20 hours as Widow 3 days after launch.

This game is a prime example of why you shouldn't only use your closed and internal testers to design a MP only game.

It was so obvious that Widow completely breaks the game when I first got to play in open beta. And now that McCree and Widow got their damage changed, Genji's and Tracers are strong af.

Now you're harshly penalized for having a average Widow or a McCree on your team.

And it didn't solve the problem of a good Widow completely locking an area down.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

whatspeakyou posted:

Oh because people hate snipers in general when they die to them. Happens in most FPS games that include snipers. People would rather remove them entirely than to just jump on them with Winston or some such strat.

Jumping on them as Winston is less effective when most of your health is burned off with two headshots and they finish you off with their rifle.

I mean, I guess I could spawn as Winston, go around an incredibly long route, all the while avoiding the rest of her team, and somehow manage to get up to her without her spotting me instantly with her wallhacks, and then maybe do about 20 damage before she grapples somewhere else and shoots me then goes right back to her job. That seems like a good and productive use of someone's time.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

I was asked in another thread about my thoughts on Mei's counters, and since I was working on a Mei guide today anyway, I figured I would cross post my thoughts to see what people thought: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775520&pagenumber=89#post461286692

I play Mei a lot. :(

Mei strong against Mercy? lol

Recorded this clip last night. No one expects the Battle Mercy.

http://i.imgur.com/RUeoXau.gifv

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Doggles posted:

Jesus that Mei is dumb. I am going to run straight at this guy without any effort to make myself hard to hit! He might as well just stood still and stared at you. :stare: My post was written with the assumption that you don't charge players like stevie wonder riding a bull.

Do people really just not know that jumping around and moving erratically is kind of important?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Manatee Cannon posted:

the deadzone on a controller is an area at the center of the analogue sticks where motion isn't detected. the smaller the deadzone, the more of your actual movement of the stick is picked up. I guess they're just adding the ability to adjust the deadzone

Now they just need remove the aim acceleration and the game will be serviceable on console.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

Jesus that Mei is dumb. I am going to run straight at this guy without any effort to make myself hard to hit! He might as well just stood still and stared at you. :stare: My post was written with the assumption that you don't charge players like stevie wonder riding a bull.

Do people really just not know that jumping around and moving erratically is kind of important?

People seem to forget it when they are against a mercy since most Mercys don't try to shoot back.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Doggles posted:

lol that little *bop* on the head :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iuvian posted:

I avoided that guy, he had like 20 hours as Widow 3 days after launch.

This game is a prime example of why you shouldn't only use your closed and internal testers to design a MP only game.

It was so obvious that Widow completely breaks the game when I first got to play in open beta. And now that McCree and Widow got their damage changed, Genji's and Tracers are strong af.

Now you're harshly penalized for having a average Widow or a McCree on your team.

And it didn't solve the problem of a good Widow completely locking an area down.

A good Widow should be able to lock an area down unless you have something to counter her. "This character has a high skill cap but a high reward for that skill cap" isn't a bad thing. I really think Widow's rifle needs more time between shots but a sniper having strong area control is one of the advantages of a sniper.

McCree is a bigger issue because he is now just genuinely bad rather than merely specialized

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LordZoric posted:

Yeah, I really would've preferred they iterate on this rather than just toss it out completely. There are some players I would genuinely like to avoid grouping with that has nothing to do with how good they are.

I dunno, I don't see how Blizzard can prevent people from clicking Avoid on someone because that person played a character the avoider didn't approve of, because the avoider thought that player was too good, because the avoider thought that player was too bad, and so on.

Ddraig posted:

Once again, a good Reinhardt or a good Mercy could not be replaced with a program. It would be technically infeasible.

Check out my Reinhart bot, which is virtually indistinguishable from a player.

if (enemiesInSight > 2 OR bastion.alive == true OR Widowmaker.alive == true) {
use("shield")
walk("forward")
}
else { use("charge") }
if (teammatesNearMe < 1) {
run whineInChat()
}

Don't tell Blizzard, okay!

Duck and Cover posted:

No gunslinger engies turrets aren't complete and utter poo poo and you get more than one.

Wrong on both counts, yo

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A lot of people play Mei like an ice Pyro and get stuck into a mental W+M1 rut. :shrug:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Andrast posted:

People seem to forget it when they are against a mercy since most Mercys don't try to shoot back.

or pistol whip mei in her cute face

Zikan posted:

the proper response to mei is to actually stand and deliver fyi :colbert:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

BobTheJanitor posted:

A lot of people play Mei like an ice Pyro and get stuck into a mental W+M1 rut. :shrug:

I see this a lot, and it's so bad. I'm never not jumping around when I'm attacking someone. Mei has some HP on her, but not enough to face roll anybody.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Huxley posted:

Hope you like reading and formulas: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4oqr5f/since_were_talking_torb_and_console_changes_can/
That doesn't say what they are changing, but it is the complaint that probably inspired them to change it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

whatspeakyou posted:

I was asked in another thread about my thoughts on Mei's counters, and since I was working on a Mei guide today anyway, I figured I would cross post my thoughts to see what people thought: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775520&pagenumber=89#post461286692

I play Mei a lot. :(

What I find interesting about your guide is that it sounds like you play Mei mainly as a flanker. I play her mostly as a frontline support. Give your tank cover to advance, icicle headshot the enemy front, and use your freeze gun to protect your healer from flankers. Not saying you're wrong, but it just leads to a different take on who she does well against versus who she should avoid (Rein for example is a battle I'll always take as her).

I agree about Zarya though. She's a nightmare for Mei.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
So still no D.Va buffs? Are they afraid to make her OP right before competitive, or are they scrapping that idea?

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

This is your daily reminder to not jump in combat. Your movement becomes predictable and you can't change your movement until you land. Thank you.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Have to be honest, I used avoid on more bullet wizard Widowmakers that were miserable to play against than players that were miserable to play with and I never felt bad about it. I mean it never occurred to me that I should have felt bad about it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I've never had such a weird combo of ineffective and grating as I have playing against mildly competent Hanzos

2 or more on the enemy team is a guaranteed win, but I'm not convinced that literally anyone will have fun during that game

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

The Crusher posted:

So still no D.Va buffs? Are they afraid to make her OP right before competitive, or are they scrapping that idea?

Jeff Kaplan personally viewed your POV and realized that a buffed D.Va would be unstoppable in the hands of The Crusher

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

I've never had such a weird combo of ineffective and grating as I have playing against mildly competent Hanzos

2 or more on the enemy team is a guaranteed win, but I'm not convinced that literally anyone will have fun during that game

Really? Cause seeing two hanzos on my team makes me want to quit before the game has even started.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the only time I've used the Avoid function is on a couple of Widows/Hanzos that would follow me through walls despite infrasight/sonar being on cooldown.

It's one thing to spam a corner with arrows/rounds in hopes of catching someone, it's another if you sit with a charged arrow and release it before the enemy even turns the corner.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Competitive...

...Is good.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere within the last 5000 posts, but with these 2.5 - 3 month seasons that will be happening soon, does that mean all our stats will get reset too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Crusher posted:

It's because they're testing lots of awesome buff ideas in secret so they can release the most awesomest one once it's completely perfect. At least, that's what I want to believe. Now excuse me, I have to go fling my exploding mech over a wall to only blow up a single spring trap again.

(Seriously Blizz just make the mech uncrittable already)