Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

my dad posted:

Considering that Malack's plan for the Empire of Blood was Rich's way to critice the meat industry

wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kyte posted:

wait what?

I can't seem to find the quote right now, but he mentioned it off hand when someone was getting on him about it being insensitive to the Holocaust or something.

Edit: Found it.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 19, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

AnoHito posted:

I can't seem to find the quote right now, but he mentioned it off hand when someone was getting on him about it being insensitive to the Holocaust or something.

Wow, that's really oblique. While I understand where he was coming from (among other things I've read Eating Animals), I can also understand that such a reference will go way over most heads. Hell, it went over mine despite the fact that I was familiar with factory farming, so it really wasn't the best allusion he could have written.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the phrase "if it's a reference to anything" implies that even the commentary was a secondary concern to telling the story he wants to tell.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Man Rich is really doing well!

Some great banter in this one, hah

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 21, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

Man Rich is really doing well!

Some great banter in this one, hah

He totally marked some of the wrong doors right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, no, there's no way I'm gonna get used to Xykon's (8)V face.

So, how long until Xykon notices that the MitD is painting extra doors? Is he that checked out?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Awww, monster, you're learning to scheme. :allears: And for a good cause, no less. :3:

Ugh, the art upgrade on Xykon wasn't exactly an upgrade.

e: I can't help but notice that the monster is holding 3 independent objects in the air. :v: And that some of those doors are pretty drat high.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
That, and none of the other doors have footprints leading up to them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

He totally marked some of the wrong doors right?
He marked several. Compare the panels.

Monster is basically the best dude.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The_Final_Stand posted:

That, and none of the other doors have footprints leading up to them.

If it's windy and snowy, there's a really good chance no one would notice the next day.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, no, there's no way I'm gonna get used to Xykon's (8)V face.

So, how long until Xykon notices that the MitD is painting extra doors? Is he that checked out?

He can have his little nose hall in exchange for that toe bones joke :3:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

seaborgium posted:

If it's windy and snowy, there's a really good chance no one would notice the next day.

They might notice when they run out of doors to pick when they've only done 30 raids or so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They might notice, but they'll have wasted 30 raids. They'll have to start over, and the monsters inside will have regenerated. Or even better, they won't have yet, and Oona will take exception to going back in already.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I realized that the problem with Xykon's new design is that for him to have his skull and jaw set up that way, he would have to have a head 150% bigger than anybody else when he was alive.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The teeth are weird too. His old design had a grid that was basically visual shorthand for "teeth here", which fit well, considering a stick figure art style is pretty much entirely comprised of visual shorthand. Now it's like every individual tooth is rendered to an unnervingly accurate degree.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Painting extra doors is not really a good idea, though. Since he obviously doesn't know which door is the right one (because then he'd only need to paint that one), all he's doing is narrowing their search while hoping one of the ones he's painted is the right one.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He's not narrowing their search, because those options haven't been discounted. He's also got a much higher chance of eventually painting over the correct door in a given day than they do of finding the gate, given that they only check one and he can paint many.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could someone do a xykon side by side because I honestly don't see the difference?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Old Xykon:

New Xykon:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

cargohills posted:

He's not narrowing their search, because those options haven't been discounted. He's also got a much higher chance of eventually painting over the correct door in a given day than they do of finding the gate, given that they only check one and he can paint many.

Monty's Greater Hall Problem

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ugly John posted:

Old Xykon:

New Xykon:

Yeah I don't get the furor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
More teeth, good. A neck, good. A brow, good.

No bow tie on his belt, terrible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

e: I can't help but notice that the monster is holding 3 independent objects in the air. :v: And that some of those doors are pretty drat high.

Yeah, that one he did in the upper left is a bit of mystery. Maybe he has really long arms? And lots of them, since he can carry 3 things at once. And no footprints.

MitD is a flumph.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Holy poo poo Mitd you are the best. This is going to cause so many problems.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Man, I totally mis-parsed that sentence in the 2nd panel. I thought he was saying "both undead" and living party members, i.e. two undead members.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

nimby posted:

They might notice when they run out of doors to pick when they've only done 30 raids or so.

Sounds like this is the first day he's done the painting though, at least it did 2 strips ago when they started. Even if they notice after 30 days, that's a month of raiding they'll have to repeat.

Are they bringing him into the raid though? Because if so, they're not just going to let him sit there while they fight something as difficult as they are.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Rygar201 posted:

For me it's just that the hard squared teeth look weird meeting at the sharp angle for his jaw, and that's the only talking position his jaw has had since he reappeared post-art update. It's mostly a getting used to change thing, more than any issue with the art itself.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Greyview continues to be the best. I enjoy the contrast against Oona's relentlessly cheerful optimism.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Rygar201 posted:

I think the old skull was a bit like a flappy headed Canadian from South Park, which gave him a bit of whimsical overexaggeration. He's a bit more sinister and less expressive in these new panels so far.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Goffer posted:

I think the old skull was a bit like a flappy headed Canadian from South Park, which gave him a bit of whimsical overexaggeration. He's a bit more sinister and less expressive in these new panels so far.
I don't believe we've actually seen his jaw in more than one position so far! I'm still on the fence about it, but I have to say the art upgrade has been a joy overall.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

AnoHito posted:

After reading the comments in that thread my respect for Rich has sky-rocketed. How has he not quit and ran off to a place like Papua New Guinea where there is no Internet and stuck his head in the sand? They are discussing how Malack's line about creating a more efficient way to kill people is triggering them.

I will no longer ask if Rich is ok... he's never going to be ok.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rich has done extremely well at staying sane with his rabid weasel pack of a fan base. I think his strategy of "gently caress you, I'll put it comics/Kickstarter rewards at my pace and you'll drat well like it." is the correct one.

It helps that he actually does, obviously.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

Are they bringing him into the raid though? Because if so, they're not just going to let him sit there while they fight something as difficult as they are.

If he fights he counts for average character EL and ruins the XP even more than an epic lich.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rygar201 posted:

Rich has done extremely well at staying sane with his rabid weasel pack of a fan base. I think his strategy of "gently caress you, I'll put it comics/Kickstarter rewards at my pace and you'll drat well like it." is the correct one.

Like sure, sometimes I read his posts out of context and I feel a little sad because you can't help but read a forum post and feel it's directed at you somehow, and really this is sorta why I feel like at a certain point you should just have a spokesperson handle your interactions with the digital fanbase, because I feel like he'll snap one day.

On the other hand, it's been years and years of this and he hasn't when the universe has otherwise poo poo on him and I'm always consistently amazed at his maturity as a web graphic novel artist in his dealings with his fans so I dunno.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

After reading the comments in that thread my respect for Rich has sky-rocketed. How has he not quit and ran off to a place like Papua New Guinea where there is no Internet and stuck his head in the sand? They are discussing how Malack's line about creating a more efficient way to kill people is triggering them.

I will no longer ask if Rich is ok... he's never going to be ok.

Not that I dispute the basic terribleness of those forums, but "I was aware that people would read it as an off-handed reference to gas chambers and the Holocaust, but I went with it anyway" is worse than my initial assumption that it just somehow didn't occur to him.

I do have a lot of respect for him, though. Honestly Burlew strikes me as someone who has grown up with a lot of biases (I mean, everyone does, but like...Haley's early characterization literally included "tee hee" as a catchphrase) and has really made an tremendous effort, especially lately, at overcoming them. (The strip between Bandana and Haley where Haley basically pointed out that all her rivalries included some really strong element of internalized misogyny is the clearest example that comes to mind, as does the fact that running gags related to V's gender/anatomy have just been quietly dropped from the strip entirely.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Carrasco posted:

I do have a lot of respect for him, though. Honestly Burlew strikes me as someone who has grown up with a lot of biases (I mean, everyone does, but like...Haley's early characterization literally included "tee hee" as a catchphrase) and has really made an tremendous effort, especially lately, at overcoming them. (The strip between Bandana and Haley where Haley basically pointed out that all her rivalries included some really strong element of internalized misogyny is the clearest example that comes to mind, as does the fact that running gags related to V's gender/anatomy have just been quietly dropped from the strip entirely.)

I like this alot, I feel like Haley has become a much stronger character and reflects my honest view of 'growing up with the character' in the sense of barely noticing the change as it feels like, I've matured at the same pace Haley has. I only have a similar feeling with the Harry Potter books.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, he's pretty organized which helps at least. I like the little chart he has that shows his current progress at fulfilling requests, it's a nice visual.

I feel bad for him though. His kickstarter was one of the first for comics and the pitfalls of having an overly successful kickstarter weren't as well understood at the time. Between stretch goal bloat and the logistics, cost and time in fulfilling all of those individual rewards, there is a lot of stuff to deal with. If I remember right, didn't he already pretty much burn through all of the money just trying to fulfill all the requests and dealing with unexpected costs and the like? Add in the thumb injury along with pre-existing medical issues, he has to be going through an awful lot. Throw in rabid fans in addition to the above, I can't imagine how he is able to handle all of that. That dude is pretty much a saint.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the thumb injury happened like immediately as the work started really gearing up which pretty much permanently derailed the unfinished rewards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, he's pretty organized which helps at least. I like the little chart he has that shows his current progress at fulfilling requests, it's a nice visual.

I feel bad for him though. His kickstarter was one of the first for comics and the pitfalls of having an overly successful kickstarter weren't as well understood at the time. Between stretch goal bloat and the logistics, cost and time in fulfilling all of those individual rewards, there is a lot of stuff to deal with. If I remember right, didn't he already pretty much burn through all of the money just trying to fulfill all the requests and dealing with unexpected costs and the like? Add in the thumb injury along with pre-existing medical issues, he has to be going through an awful lot. Throw in rabid fans in addition to the above, I can't imagine how he is able to handle all of that. That dude is pretty much a saint.

I made sure to buy all the reprinted books after the kickstarter so that it was profit for him.