Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RYang
Dec 5, 2012

foutre posted:

Yeah, I ward more than 98% of players because I play Zyra support, and all the tank supports count as tanks that includes the top lane pool.

Which I guess also means I ward more than other support Zyras, but still, not as helpful. I imagine part of it might be that figuring out people's position/items is probably more work on their end with the API and whatnot, I imagine it's a lot easier to just take champ stats. As a lazy scraper I respect that.

With the new champ select, can't they just check directly what position you were? Yeah people swap roles in champ select occasionally, and you'll still get a few outliers like Lee Sin players naturally dropping more wards than most other junglers, but that's still better data than telling even great tops that their warding is merely mediocre because it's directly comparing them to supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

RYang posted:

With the new champ select, can't they just check directly what position you were? Yeah people swap roles in champ select occasionally, and you'll still get a few outliers like Lee Sin players naturally dropping more wards than most other junglers, but that's still better data than telling even great tops that their warding is merely mediocre because it's directly comparing them to supports.

Yeah they can, but that site doesn't, it just ranks you by Champion Type which is just the thing in the client if you go to champions you own you can sort them by type.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

AS reds, arpen quints, armor yellows, scaling mr

9/21/0 taking all damage and the move-fast thing in the middle tree. Build warrior > t1 boots > trinity > t2 boots >dmp/visage > GA.

Make sure you get rift because an extra 300 damage on every charge is ridiculous.

i think you mean 12 18 0 my friend

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
There's champ mastery in ARAM now but I've got no fukcing clue what the criteria are.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Pots are the S+ of wards probably

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

RYang posted:

Riot automatically guesses your lane and position based on your actual in game coordinates sampled periodically (along with a bunch of other stuff), the queued position is not saved in public match history

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Methanar posted:

AS reds, arpen quints, armor yellows, scaling mr

9/21/0 taking all damage and the move-fast thing in the middle tree. Build warrior > t1 boots > trinity > t2 boots >dmp/visage > GA.

Make sure you get rift because an extra 300 damage on every charge is ridiculous.

Any particular reason for not doing MS quints? Don't think the 4.5% is worth it versus the arpen?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If you are going to do ArPen and AS I'm pretty sure mathematically you are better going ArPen Reds and AS Quints

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Wisdom

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I have an AD/Armor/Mr/Mspeed runepage and an Ad/Lifesteal/Mr runepage and I can't be hosed to spend IP on more or rearrange runes every match; enemy laner's just gonna have to deal with a slightly more annoying Veigar Poke.

I won't change the lifesteal one because that's reserved for TT Graves and Xin play and I will not give that up :colbert:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Libertine posted:

If you are going to do ArPen and AS I'm pretty sure mathematically you are better going ArPen Reds and AS Quints

I mean I've got an old as hell runepage that uses a little bit of ArPen red and AS reds and the MS quints because of all characters, Hecarim seems like the champion that MS quints would benefit the most.

e: Most winning-est runepage is arpen/armor/flat CDR/MS, and 0/18/12.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sorry I was talking specifically about the combination he was running. I'd always run MS on Hecarim because it's Hecarim and he needs to horse at top speed at all times. But if you are running ArPen/AS you get more mileage out of the Pen on Reds Speed on Quints. A lot of pros ran that on Kindred I think.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Why would Deep Sea Nami have normal eyes BTW

like, that's half the neat part of the deep seas, that everything is blind as poo poo and weird looking because of the lack of sunlight

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Servaetes posted:

I mean I've got an old as hell runepage that uses a little bit of ArPen red and AS reds and the MS quints because of all characters, Hecarim seems like the champion that MS quints would benefit the most.

e: Most winning-est runepage is arpen/armor/flat CDR/MS, and 0/18/12.

Hecarim slams into the diminishing returns limit for MS with just trinity and charge, let along things like the phage kill, move-fast mastery or ghost, further MS is just wasted. 4.5% MS is probably like 3 ad too, haven't done the math on it though.

I was trying arp reds and quints but it made your clear way too risky so I substituted the reds for AS.

I did a bit of math and found doing reds for AS to be the better bang for your buck than vice versa. CDR runes are unnecessary too, trinity is 20% now, warrior is 10%, blue is 10% (take every blue gently caress your team and constantly invade because you win).

I really think the kicker for what breaks hecarim and starts the run away train of one shots is getting rift.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Methanar posted:

Hecarim slams into the diminishing returns limit for MS with just trinity and charge, let along things like the phage kill, move-fast mastery or ghost, further MS is just wasted. 4.5% MS is probably like 3 ad too, haven't done the math on it though.

I was trying arp reds and quints but it made your clear way too risky so I substituted the reds for AS.

I did a bit of math and found doing reds for AS to be the better bang for your buck than vice versa. CDR runes are unnecessary too, trinity is 20% now, warrior is 10%, blue is 10% (take every blue gently caress your team and constantly invade because you win).

I really think the kicker for what breaks hecarim and starts the run away train of one shots is getting rift.

How is the like 100 extra damage from Herald buff starting that kind of snowballing?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

How is the like 100 extra damage from Herald buff starting that kind of snowballing?

The damage scales on level between 15-270, and Hecarim does plenty of roaming which lets him get stacks up, on top of having a very all-in burst style that benefits from what is essentially a free Hextech Revolver. The 5% damage reduction is a nice added bonus, as well.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Libertine posted:

Sorry I was talking specifically about the combination he was running. I'd always run MS on Hecarim because it's Hecarim and he needs to horse at top speed at all times. But if you are running ArPen/AS you get more mileage out of the Pen on Reds Speed on Quints. A lot of pros ran that on Kindred I think.

This is correct. AS quints/Arpen reds gives you 1.8% less AS but 3.84 armor pen. Basically you are trading one extra AS red for 3 extra arpen reds.

The additional MS only gives you 2.5 AD at level 1, though.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think aspd is probably better than movespeed because you get to clear the jungle with more health early and that could completely swing some games

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
That profiler says I ward like garbage while my friends are at literally 100% warding, whereas I'm really high on the action score and they're passive as hell.

That explains a lot about our trouble playing together.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Neurolimal posted:

The damage scales on level between 15-270, and Hecarim does plenty of roaming which lets him get stacks up, on top of having a very all-in burst style that benefits from what is essentially a free Hextech Revolver. The 5% damage reduction is a nice added bonus, as well.

It does 15 damage per level, builds up over time and not from moving around (that's Shiv/RFC), and the 5% damage reduction only applies while solo (no allies in ~650 range). Assuming you get it around level 8 it's only 100 extra damage, which doesn't seem like it would be the make-it-or-break-it point where Hecarim just suddenly starts ripping people 100 -> 0.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah I actually checked beforehand to see if it worked like Shiv. My point was more that by roaming he has plenty of times where he's alone and generating stacks.

On paper it's not a lot of damage (just like Revolver) but in practice it helps push your damage over the kill threshold quite a few times.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mikujin posted:

It does 15 damage per level, builds up over time and not from moving around (that's Shiv/RFC), and the 5% damage reduction only applies while solo (no allies in ~650 range). Assuming you get it around level 8 it's only 100 extra damage, which doesn't seem like it would be the make-it-or-break-it point where Hecarim just suddenly starts ripping people 100 -> 0.

100 damage is a fuckload what are you on about

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
what is irelia meant to do vs pantheon other than ping for assistance and be sad under her turret when no one comes

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Luna Was Here posted:

what is irelia meant to do vs pantheon other than ping for assistance and be sad under her turret when no one comes

nobody in the history of league has ever had fun laning vs pantheon

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

i dont think irelia can fight him at all barring big mistakes until level 6 but after that if she's not too far behind she can crawl back and eventually is much stronger. have patience, farm, and maybe start dshield so it's a little harder to shove you out completely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lovechop posted:

nobody in the history of league has ever had fun laning vs pantheon
gangplank fucks him because he can basically auto him without actually autoing him and you can just orange his all-in

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Treat him like Yorick after he gets a tear: accept that you aren't gonna win any trades, focus on last hitting at low enough margins that he pushes the lane closer to your tower. Bring many potions.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Luna Was Here posted:

If you're that far behind there isn't much you can do, but with parts of a triforce she can and will beat him in duels, especially post six because she's an auto attacker and he does really poorly against them. Just don't tilt out of your mind during early laning phase because he kills you, just farm up the best you can and try to fight him back when you feel like you can do it, especially post 6 because you get a pretty meaningful powerspike and he doesn't.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

gangplank fucks him because he can basically auto him without actually autoing him and you can just orange his all-in

i don't believe you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Pantheon is easy to manage once you've progressed past the "gotta get dat early kill" mentality, and understand how Pantheon operates. He wants to hardcore bully you for fast early kills, then at 6 nope out of lane to tilt the rest of your team. So long as you don't try to contest him he won't have as much of an advantage when it comes time to mandrop, and you'll be healthy enough to punish him after you get your ultimate.

He's a lot like Darius where the skill check is "how patient are you in letting him push the lane and get ganked", except in this case it's just "how competent are you at just CSing and not trying to kill him pre-6".

If you need further incentive not to duel him, remember that he can outright block an attack including onhit effects, and refreshes it with his stun.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

That assumes Pantheon is a robot and will automatically jump @ 6 to another lane versus dropping dead on top of the loving dolt toplane shoving the lane because they don't see him on the map. I've gotten many a kill on a stupid rear end in a top hat toplaner that thinks that just because I backed at six I plan on jumping somewhere else rather than the guy that has two waves on my tower and is next to it autoing it.

You can definitely duel him pre six, you're wrong here. Depends on how much you've let yourself eat spears @ 1 and 3 and if he's gassed himself throwing too many. Luna, as Irelia early on if you can keep yourself up around like 75% and he's busted his stun already, you can land a stun on him and wail on him and he won't really respond too well to it. Gangplank can land barrel combos on him pre six and outsustain. And if he's taken Ignite (which I and most folks on champion.gg) take you can minimize the damage he's gotten from his kill by coming right back after him. Irelia used to be the most loving annoying lane matchup in the game because she took flask+3 pots and I could never get her low enough to all in to get the snowball started and eventually she got a phage/sheen and could outduel and kill me.

I can't stress it enough how badly auto-attackers beat the poo poo out of him. Smart ones can duel him pre six and crush him post six. Supertanks too--Sion/Malphite quickly becomes way too difficult for him to burst. If he can't do it @ 1-3 he's in deep poo poo and will lose the lane very, very, very badly.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Pantheon is a cheeser pick! Cheeser dog! I will teach you respect!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Settle down, Beavis.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I mean sure, you could just stay top and fake him out if he isn't using his free wards and whatnots. I just prefer shutting down Mid and Bot, since those two are more likely to carry a game (and Dragon is a pretty big deal now).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've mostly been playing ADC lately and was just looking through champion.gg to see if my item builds are still ok. I was kind of surprised not to qss/mercurial in almost any of the most common/highest win builds. I tend to build it 3rd or 4th item almost every game because there's always some horrible cc ability I want to be able to get out of. Am I putting too much value into the active?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

I've mostly been playing ADC lately and was just looking through champion.gg to see if my item builds are still ok. I was kind of surprised not to qss/mercurial in almost any of the most common/highest win builds. I tend to build it 3rd or 4th item almost every game because there's always some horrible cc ability I want to be able to get out of. Am I putting too much value into the active?

No you are right. It's probably the strongest defensive/life steal item in an ADC build in my opinion. It's definitely something worthwhile to have by 3rd or 4th item depending on threat. If there's any game-ending hard CC (there should be at least one on the enemy team unless they are dumb) you want to have it. I think it's very under-built relative to it's value in solo queue. You see it a ton with a lot more priority in professional play. You shouldn't doubt your own thoughts on that matter in this one.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
It's also absolutely critical in One for all vs Morgana/Lux (and others). I had a team MF vs Morg and I was the only one who built one, and I have to say I died a lot less than everyone else.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is safe farm > murderbrawl 7-9 the general recipe for anything that Irelia can't bully pre-6? And what matchups does that not do well in? Supertanks?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Irelia is a mid-game champion and has bad matchups vs. lane bullies like Renekton/Darius/Pantheon and against stuff like Jax who has a similar power spike but scales better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

It doesn't do damage so adcs don't buy it. You're correct.

• Locked thread