Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes - I have, and I can't think that a person who is under such public scrutiny would be so blatant as to take 100+ mil and say 'gently caress all of you' without knowing there are going to be serious repercussions. But, I also don't believe that is the issue. I think he's passionate enough to know that he was loving up and took a step back, refocused energies and is keeping everything quiet and underwraps now so that he can just churn out actual resutls (which is why he's spending so much time in UK and is no longer providing hard dates or promises).

What on earth makes you think that Chris Roberts realises he's an incompetent?

Are you seriously telling me that the reason you have faith in Chris Roberts is because, if he was an egotistical idiot without any grasp of modern game development, he would realise it and never embark on this project?

Are you taking the piss?

edit: Catte snipe fitting of the deep understanding of human nature on display here:

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes - I have, and I can't think that a person who is under such public scrutiny would be so blatant as to take 100+ mil and say 'gently caress all of you' without knowing there are going to be serious repercussions. But, I also don't believe that is the issue. I think he's passionate enough to know that he was loving up and took a step back, refocused energies and is keeping everything quiet and underwraps now so that he can just churn out actual resutls (which is why he's spending so much time in UK and is no longer providing hard dates or promises).

I too believe that no person has ever tried to cover up their mistakes.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Star Citizen: It's better than nothing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KiddieGrinder posted:

Forget it Cosby. It's Anustown.

Sounds lovely.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

My favorite citizens are the ones who talk about non-existent features like they're in the game and the ones who are completely blind to what's in front of them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

Forget it Cosby. It's Anustown.

Wait, why are we talking Guy Fieri now?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

e: because I'm an idiot and posted the wrong thing.

What does CIG possibly have to gain by hiding the specifics behind how the game will actually work?

Protection from further criticism? Control of the release narrative? An even bigger hype?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Protection from further criticism?

.....But... people have been criticizing them.... from how slowly they are releasing content. Except for the cult who wouldn't care how janky it was....

ManofManyAliases posted:

Control of the release narrative?

But....that... makes the only narrative... speculation? And none of it has been good speculation...

ManofManyAliases posted:

An even bigger hype?

....But... people have already decided that the game will be....the best thing....ever made.... additional hype will actually damage them....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok.

Valid point - I don't know. I'm speculating. Why would they design larger, multi-function ships and smaller multi-function ships if not to say one is more difficult to obtain and maintain than the other?

Gee, I don't know, maybe because they can sell (JPEGs of) them both for hundreds of dollars to a bunch of morons?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Protection from further criticism? Control of the release narrative? An even bigger hype?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Google Butt posted:

My favorite citizens are the ones who talk about non-existent features like they're in the game and the ones who are completely blind to what's in front of them.

Google Butt I just bought four space bikes for $130 ($5 off for every two you buy)

Are you telling me that I won't be able to hide in the shadows of asteroids, and wait for ships to pass so that I can spring out of hiding and attack them with my 3 buddies, disabling their engines and towing the ship around with tow cable mechanics?

I'll be able to hold really expensive ships for ransom! I'll even be able to EVA over and get inside their ship with my pirate lockpicking ability and have a hand to hand fight over their ship that I then steal (stowing my space bike of course) and then I just shove that ship directly up my rear end. So far up my rear end you wouldn't believe it Morty. Right up there in the middle of my rear end.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

So what did Roberts claim initially in the kickstarter? He could make the game by 2014 for 2 million dollars? Correct?

He wanted 2 million to show interest to investors for Star Citizen & SQ42 (think original ask was 500k even), then budget for everything was 14-20 million. The stretch-goals were all pre-planned so wouldn't delay things at all, in fact more money would enable them to work faster with an estimated ship date of Nov 2014.

Revisionist history has since turned Star Citizen into a stretch-goal for the Star Citizen kickstarter and the stretch-goals delay things but that's been requested, nay demanded, by the backers. Meanwhile they haven't commented on their kickstarter comment section for something like two years.

Current cryengine status I'd liken to a well shaken bag of puke.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sounds lovely.

Shittier than that the new and improved TOS (now with more buttfuck!) that is so lovely even gaming rags are picking up on it.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/20/star-citizen-changes-terms-of-service-to-make-it-more-difficult-to-get-a-refund

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-21-star-citizens-refunds-process-just-got-more-complicated

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-star-citizen-terms-of-service-update-makes-it-a-bit-harder-to-get-a-refund

http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/21/star-citizen-changes-refund-clause-for-new-backers-plans-procedurally-generated-planets-for-2-7/

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/60710/article/star-citizen-terms-of-service-changes-makes-it-difficult-to-refund/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

time to reverse shill moma, everyone post their star citizen feature dreams

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Setting aside that argument, I just don't have time for the grind. My friends and I don't want to sit and wait to grind out all the poo poo we would like (let's face it, It's pay to win even if they say it's not). I've played games like Aion, GW2, WoW and saying - for instance - that I spend a cumulative amount of time playing SC as I have those games, the cash equivalent of cash shop purchases, in game grinds, etc will likely come close to what I spent for SC thus far.

Now, if I had just found out about the project (and let's say for argument sake there was no ambiguity that it was going to be released as promised), then yes: I would still have spent the same amount. As much as I hate to say it since some of your are sensitive to it, but the cash is but a quarterly bonus for me (literally). The bonus is my play money - to do with as I please. It doesn't affect me financially in anyway except that I use it to have fun. I spent it over time to see the game made. If I lose it - lesson learned (regarding crowdfunding). If not, and game is released as pitched, I start on day 1 not having to grind for some base poo poo.

Why do you treat it like money you're spending on a hobby? It's not a hobby, you're being swindled by a no talent hack of a developer.

Let's say I love Pokemon cards. If I pay four grand for a gold foil Charizard that is actually delivered to me, lots of people would think I'm dumb. But I got my card. I got what I paid for. It might not be worth 4k to most people but it's worth 4k to me. This is a hobby.

You are giving 4k for an idea of what you might get. Your idea of what you might get comes from slick videos full of empty promises from a has-been. Your dream will never happen. You got tricked. Your rationalization of it being disposable income comes from your inability or unwillingness to face the fact that you got tricked.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

haha lol "I've spent hundreds on a chariot with no one to play with in it"

and what's the deal with the ... "Bangal"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDEZbGd6_0

It's the big space boat that will never be in "game".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can think of dozens of examples of this unheard-of phenomenon. Who am I kidding? I can think of hundreds, I come from a third-world country, after all.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Game is still bad and chris robots is still a mushmouthed hack mushroom hatch waving his hands around while promising procedural birds and space news vans.

FTFY

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

I have already purchased 100$ worth of manuals for private servers.

Get em while they are hot!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Barn Folk posted:

Why do you treat it like money you're spending on a hobby? It's not a hobby, you're being swindled by a no talent hack of a developer.

Let's say I love Pokemon cards. If I pay four grand for a gold foil Charizard that is actually delivered to me, lots of people would think I'm dumb. But I got my card. I got what I paid for. It might not be worth 4k to most people but it's worth 4k to me. This is a hobby.

You are giving 4k for an idea of what you might get. Your idea of what you might get comes from slick videos full of empty promises from a has-been. Your dream will never happen. You got tricked. Your rationalization of it being disposable income comes from your inability or unwillingness to face the fact that you got tricked.

I just want to wait a little longer to see. That's all I'm asking. If it happens, and I was right all along, then I'll be happy for the 'investment." If not, lesson learned: don't pledge so early without more proof of hard delivery.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

So you're honestly telling us that the reason CIG is failing to release information while getting criticised for having an over hyped piece of vapourware is in order to protect themselves from criticism while increasing hype?

That's your honest "I've thought about this long and hard" conclusion, is it?

Do you understand the concept of Occam's razor? Do you think that, if you replaced your initial assumption with something else, you will find that you no longer need to come up with these increasingly elaborate and dubious explanations for what's going on?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
There are a few scenarios in which boarding may occur, and it is likely to be a pretty rare occurrence. And situations where you can go full castle-plan as defenders will be even more rare.

In order for a castle-defense strategy to work aboard a ship that is being boarded, you have to know where the enemy is likely to enter from, you have to have advance notice that they are coming during which you can dig in, and it has to be big enough for your strategy to actually matter.

The first problem arises that the enemy can cut their way into the hull anywhere they want...or can hop in through a hole their guns already blew in your ship. The only way to figure out where the enemy is coming from is for you to be aware of where they are breaching from. Airlocks will probably be common entry points as those are designed to open, and would thus be easier to force open than cutting a hole in the hull; the cargo doors will be another possibility, as will the hangar bay of larger ships. But...the enemy could always waltz up to your ship's bridge and start carving a hole directly in the ceiling, dropping themselves directly into the point on the ship you are most interested in keeping them out of.

The second problem arises in that you may not have time to prepare. If your ship took a missile and is missing a chunk of its hull...guess where the boarders are coming in through. They don't need to cut through the hull, they can just EVA through the hole that's already there. So while you are running around trying to prep, they are already attacking. Additionally, stealth boarding operations are also a confirmed option...if a boarding team is really, really good...you might not know you are under attack until someone puts a rifle to your head and tells you to get up and get in an escape pod.

The third problem is that any ship that is Connie-sized or smaller (i.e. the more common ship sizes) are simply too small for castle tactics to work. Castle tactics (as in R6) rely on a multi-layered defense to chew apart the enemy as they advance. If you are defending a Connie...you drop a mine or two in front of where they are cutting their way in, then take cover and get ready for a gunfight.

There is also this to consider...in many cases, the person attacking you doesn't actually want to board you. Particularly in the case of a pirate. See, if a pirate boards your ship, he's risking his life in order to gain control of a busted ship. Unlike in nautical combat, the vast majority of ship boarding in SC only happens if a ship has been damaged to the point it can no longer move or defend itself. So if you board a ship and take it...now you have to try to fix the ship you just nearly blew up before help arrives for the person you just attacked, so you can then go pay a pile of cash to finish fixing the busted ship. Occasionally, you may wish to do this...but wouldn't it be a lot more efficient and a heck of a lot less risky to just blow the cargo door off and start tractoring their goods out? Or, heck...hit a Hull-class, they carry all their cargo externally anyway. If anyone wants to stop you from stealing the goods off a disabled Hull, they are going to have to come out of their ship to do it.

The combat is still asymmetrical, but the sort of fortification/breaching tactics aren't as suitable for the vast majority of ship boarding cases as they would be for defending a ground objective. It would be like playing Rainbow 6: Siege if the enemy could skip your set-up time and choose to spawn anywhere in your base that they wanted.

In all honesty, I would instead look at modern naval boarding tactics for inspiration, as opposed to looking at a game like R6:S.

Really, the primary place where boarding is going to be a big thing is with Persistent ships or Gold Horizon Stations. And, again...I would still recommend looking at modern naval boarding and defense tactics as opposed to static structure defense like in R6:S.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Someone should really pull all the feature dream and posts taking about features like they're in the game and put them in one spot. Title it the name of the seal av guy

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I just want to wait a little longer to see. That's all I'm asking. If it happens, and I was right all along, then I'll be happy for the 'investment." If not, lesson learned: don't pledge so early without more proof of hard delivery.

I have heard this exact thing from people trying to get into the housing market in 2007-2008.

Here's the thing MoMA this has had proof of collapse. The red flags are all there and you're praying the Stimperor really does have invisible clothes. Then you start telling other people how invisible clothes would be tehnically possible while we all laugh.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 21, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

That's a whole lot of words about the balance between attackers/defenders for a bunch of features that will never exist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Google Butt I just bought four space bikes for $130 ($5 off for every two you buy)

Are you telling me that I won't be able to hide in the shadows of asteroids, and wait for ships to pass so that I can spring out of hiding and attack them with my 3 buddies, disabling their engines and towing the ship around with tow cable mechanics?

I'll be able to hold really expensive ships for ransom! I'll even be able to EVA over and get inside their ship with my pirate lockpicking ability and have a hand to hand fight over their ship that I then steal (stowing my space bike of course) and then I just shove that ship directly up my rear end. So far up my rear end you wouldn't believe it Morty. Right up there in the middle of my rear end.

Did you buy the most expensive brand of space-rope? (10 bucks per meter) Another advantage of space-rope is that if the space-diesel engine in your carrack goes Kaput you can tug the ship with your bikes. there is no friction in space! :eng101:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Google Butt posted:

Drink Mixing game

News van

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Barn Folk posted:

I'm not sure I like this analogy. Backers get jpegs. Maybe they like to sit around and stare at their jpegs all day like you would your Pokemon card.

I had assumed you were going to say that at least the charizard card has a purpose. It allows you to use it in your actual hobby (i.e. playing pokemon the card game). If your hobby is sitting around staring at Pokemon cards all day... that's kind of weird. I know people who liked collecting Magic cards to make decks and actually play the game with people. That was their hobby. I'm assuming Moma plays video games. That's the hobby. Buying Chris Roberts a vacation every year isn't a hobby. It's either a fetish or a sign of mental illness.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ManofManyAliases posted:

Heh stop acting like losing 4k on a scam isn't going to be deeply painful

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is ‘feature creep’ a worry? Sure… it’s always a worry, and we are well aware of it. However, building the game to the stretch goals embraced and endorsed by the community is not feature creep! We made the decision to stop stretch goals at the end of last year. That was a hard choice to abandon one of the central tenets of crowd funding projects, the idea that the sky is the limit… but it’s one we felt we had to make for the better of the game. Today, we have a radical design that’s like nothing else in the industry and we’re building towards it every hour of every day. We count on the community’s continued support to build the game to the high level that we set out to accomplish. Allowing independent authors to do more is the point of crowd funding, and going beyond our limitations is the entire point of Star Citizen.

Occasionally I see comments out there from people who haven’t taken the time to watch the thousands of YouTube videos of people running around their ships and hangars or dogfighting in space, or visit our site to read the vast amount of information we make publicly available that call us vaporware or a glorified tech demo. Arena Commander, which is still evolving, is a better looking and playing game than a lot of finished games out there. We are maintaining a live game and building one all at the same time. It’s harder than just developing, as most companies that run online games will tell you, but it’s worth it, both to ensure you get to experience features as soon as they are ready and to make a better game in the long run.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

Did you buy the most expensive brand of space-rope? (10 bucks per meter) Another advantage of space-rope is that if the space-diesel engine in your carrack goes Kaput you can tug the ship with your bikes. there is no friction in space! :eng101:

Just don't buy any VolksWagen Diesel engines, those tend to have scummy software.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really looking forward to flying my news van around the universe and making a living from filming poo poo that's happening and selling it to npcs and other players as part of a fully functioning economy in a way that's certainly not open to trivial exploitation by simple bots.

This gif but with new features written on all of the screens that pop out and the screens just keep appearing until they obscure the entire view.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 21, 2016

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

The facts are right in front of you. You've seen them yourself. You know the project is in trouble judging from the fact that you have an escape plan for ditching your "assets". You could get out now if you really wanted to but then you'd have to say that the Salty Asshats were right the whole time. But you won't. You're going to be like the people that know that they're in a ponzi scheme and think that they are going to be the smart ones that get out just in time to make a profit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok, serious question: Have you sold your bitcoins yet? Because currently it is a good time to offload them.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Achamp posted:

I'm assuming Moma plays video games. That's the hobby.

That's a pretty big assumption. From what I've observed his hobby is posting about Star Citizen and defending his religion.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Google Butt posted:

Someone needs to spam that RSI post about bringing pirate space rape into the game. loving 10.0 post.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Drink Mixing game

News van

sitting (and pooping) on a space toilet

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Someone should really pull all the feature dream and posts taking about features like they're in the game and put them in one spot. Title it the name of the seal av guy

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

sitting (and pooping) on a space toilet

having to shower every 6 hours in game in order for npcs to interact with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

In all honesty, I would instead look at modern naval boarding tactics for inspiration, as opposed to looking at a game like R6:S.

I fly my ship onto the front of their ship and rip their body out through the cockpit like in that episode of the Animaniacs.

• Locked thread