Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pakled posted:

Picking a sitting Senator for VP seems like a risky move for Hillary. Kaine and Warren's seats both go up for election in 2018. The Democrats have a decent chance of flipping the Senate this year, but likely only by a razor-thin margin, and if her VP's former seat goes Republican in 2018 that could spoil everything.

Kaine's seat is likely safe and Warren's is too (the only problem for Warren is losing her seat for five months while we wait to replace her)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pelosi is House Minority Leader. Current Senate Minority Leader is Harry Reid who is retiring. Most are expecting that Chuck Schumer will take over come 2017.

Schumer has been named as heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pelosi is House Minority Leader. Current Senate Minority Leader is Harry Reid who is retiring. Most are expecting that Chuck Schumer will take over come 2017.

highme posted:

What does Pelosi retiring have to do with Warren becoming Dem Senate leader?

:doh: I'm dumb. I meant Harry Reid.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dexo posted:

Doesn't Mississippi still exist?

Mississippi is probably still the worst state in terms of useful metrics that I know of, but over the course of the next decade, Kansas will likely handily surpass it and may end up in such dire condition that it does some fairly unique things for a state (default, become a federal protectorate, who even knows?)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Are all of you going to finally admit that you've been buying the anime girl avatars for yourselves, a secret sign of your support for Trump?

We all know the score.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

After seeing the no-protest zone around the RNC (larger than the green zone) I think that Cleveland won't get exciting because the media is too lazy to walk that far.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't like no-protest zones anywhere. What's their Constitutional justification? I assume they were run by the SCOTUS at some point. I get that it's only "freedom of assembly in this specific location" rather than any freedom to assemble at all, but still, I'm not a big fan. Even if it opens us up for Westboro Baptist-style abuses to have no fetters on them.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Those russian hackers are at it again:

quote:

The Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation was among the organizations breached by suspected Russian hackers in a dragnet of the U.S. political apparatus ahead of the November election, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The attacks on the foundation’s network, as well as those of the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, compound concerns about her digital security even as the FBI continues to investigate her use of a personal e-mail server while she was secretary of state.

Clinton Foundation officials said the organization hadn’t been notified of the breach and declined to comment further. The compromise of the foundation’s computers was first identified by government investigators as recently as last week, the people familiar with the matter said. Agents monitor servers used by hackers to communicate with their targets, giving them a back channel view of attacks, often even before the victims detect them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't like no-protest zones anywhere. What's their Constitutional justification? I assume they were run by the SCOTUS at some point. I get that it's only "freedom of assembly in this specific location" rather than any freedom to assemble at all, but still, I'm not a big fan. Even if it opens us up for Westboro Baptist-style abuses to have no fetters on them.

Ugh, reminded me of the "Free Speech Zones" during the bush administration.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Well no, that doesn't actually imply anything about the data security of her email servers from four years ago.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hah, looks like I'm not the only one thinking Trump will quit.

http://gawker.com/how-is-donald-trump-going-to-quit-1782312998

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

An Oklahoma lawmaker personally propagated an article over the weekend calling for a “final solution” regarding “radical Islam,” arguing that the 1,400-year-old faith is not a religion and should not be protected under the first amendment of the Constitution.
On Sunday, Oklahoma State Rep. Pat Ownbey re-published an article to his Facebook page entitled “Radical Islam – The Final Solution.” The article was originally published on the personal blog of Paul R. Hollrah, an Oklahoman who touts himself as a “retired government relations executive,” but Ownbey appears to have copy-pasted the piece and reposted it in its entirety, citing Hollrah.

quote:

Radical Islam - the Final Solution
by Paul R. Hollrah
June 18, 2016

The unspeakable massacre at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in which forty-nine innocent people were brutally murdered by a radical Muslim, has produced what all such events have produced in the past: enough handwringing to set entire cities ablaze and enough heated debate over gun control to make one’s head spin. Unfortunately, none of it can or will do anything to attack the root cause of Islamic extremism and prevent future reoccurrences.
A December 17, 2015, letter from Senator James Lankford, Oklahoma’s first-term junior senator, is a perfect example of the head-in-the sand attitude of western political leaders. Lankford began by thanking me for contacting him with my concerns about Islamic immigration. Then he went on to explain that, “The First Amendment to the Constitution protects the right of all Americans to practice the religion they choose, or no religion, without fear of government interference or retribution.” He went on to explain, “Religious liberty is vital to a free nation. The First Amendment to the Constitution states, ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.’ Disruption of religious liberty for one person endangers the liberties of us all.”
What the senator is suggesting, without actually putting it into words, is that all non-Muslims in America should view the language of the First Amendment as a suicide pact. To the contrary, if we in the west are to protect our children and grandchildren from the horrors of a worldwide Islamic caliphate, we must first dispense with the cruel fiction that Islam is just another religious denomination, subject to all of the legal protections afforded legitimate religious sects.
Islam is not a religion, subject to First Amendment protections, as we in western cultures understand the term. Rather, it is a complete political, legal, economic, military, social, and cultural system with a religious component. Wherever we find them, its adherents refuse to assimilate into host country cultures, insisting that they be allowed to exist as a separate culture within a culture, not subject to the laws of their host countries. In order to accomplish their ends, they rely on anti-western directives of the Quran to preach the overthrow of host governments, by force and violence if necessary.
If we are to find a final solution to Islamic jihad we must begin by identifying Islam for what it is. Abandoning the political correctness of the political left, it is imperative that we begin by officially defining Islam, not as a religious denomination, but as a brutal 7th century culture totally foreign to and incompatible with 21st century values and cultures. Unfortunately, the Roman Catholics and other Christian denominations are evolving at a snail’s pace in their approach to Islam. In a most thoughtful and thoroughly researched treatise, titled, Islam, Interreligious Dialogue, and Evangelization, published on May 8, 2015, Andre Villeneuve, Ph.D. of Saint John Vianney Seminary, describes the evolution of the Catholic Church’s approach to Islam in just the past half century.
According to Dr. Villeneuve, “Since Vatican II (1962-65) the Catholic Church has taken a conciliatory approach toward non-Christian religions in general, and Islam in particular. Interreligious dialogue has tended to focus on similarities rather than differences...” He quotes the Council Declaration on Non-Christian Religions, Nostra Aetate, saying, “Since in the course of centuries, not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.”
The conciliatory theme within the Catholic hierarchy continues to this day. Dr. Villeneuve writes that, “After praising the commitment to prayer, faith, devotion, and ethical values of many Muslims, (Pope) Francis encourages Christians to adopt a welcoming attitude towards the increasing number of Muslim immigrants in traditionally Christian countries, while asking for a reciprocal freedom of worship for Christians living in Muslim countries.”
This is in sharp contrast to a statement made by Pope Benedict XVI in his Regensburg Lecture of September 12, 2006, a statement that was not well received in the Muslim world. Benedict quoted the 14th century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus, who said, “Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.”
Yes, as Pope Francis has suggested, we should first ask for reciprocity from the Muslim world, but asking is not the same as demanding, and it’s time that political and religious leaders in the Christian world demand that non-Muslim denominations be allowed to establish churches and synagogues and to practice their faith throughout the Muslim world, signaling that serious repercussions… including an outright ban on mosques in Christian nations… will follow if reciprocity is not granted. Nothing less will suffice.
Needless to say, the response from the Muslim world has not been what the Vatican might have hoped for. Instead of reciprocating, in kind, radical Islam has pursued a brutal, unrelenting jihad against the Christian world. Dr. Villeneuve quotes a 1991 Muslim Brotherhood document, titled, “An Explanatory Memorandum on the General Strategic Goal for the Group in North America.” The memorandum explains that the Brotherhood “must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and ‘sabotaging’ its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and Allah’s religion is made victorious over all other religions.”
At this writing, the focus of the western world is on Syria and Iraq where ISIS, one of history’s most bloodthirsty organizations, is literally butchering its way across the Middle East. The limits of their savagery are beyond comprehension, yet Western leaders, chiefly Barack Obama, British Prime Minister David Cameron, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, sit idly by, not knowing what to do or how to prevent the ISIS butchers from slaughtering us on our own home soil.
Accordingly, the first step in coming to grips with the Islamic threat is to officially declassify Islam as a protected religion in the hearts and minds of western populations. Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and Presbyterians do not stone women to death; they do not behead those who are of a different faith; they do not throw homosexuals from tall buildings; they do not place their enemies in steel cages and lower them into tanks of water, or spray them with gasoline and burn them alive; they do not capture large numbers of women and young girls and sell them into sex slavery; and they do not sexually assault women and girls in public places because they think their style of dress is an open invitation. No, these are atrocities that are unique to the Muslim world. They are not, and can never be, protected religious practices by anyone’s standard.
The next and final step in dealing with the Islamic threat is for western governments to codify opposition to Islamic jihad. Senator Lankford and other political leaders are apparently unaware that as recently as the 1950s our country has taken steps to protect itself from domination by foreign ideologies. For example, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, Public Law 82-414 (the McCarran-Walter Act), Section 212(a), enacted two years prior to the Communist Control Act of 1954, provides no less than 31 criteria under which “classes of aliens shall be ineligible to receive visas and shall be excluded from admission into the United States.”
Included among these, Section 212(a)(28) of the Act denies access to all aliens “who are anarchists, or who have at any time been members of or affiliated with any organization (such as Islam or the Communist Party USA) that advocates or teaches the overthrow of the government of the United States by force, violence, or other unconstitutional means.” This is precisely what Donald Trump has suggested, and it is precisely this statute that President Carter cited in his Executive Order of April 7, 1980, in which he invalidated the visas of all Iranians in the country and prohibited the issuance of new visas to Iranians for the duration of the Iranian hostage crisis.
Islam is the only “religious” movement on Earth that proposes to extend its dominion to every corner of the Earth by rape, murder, terror, and oppression. And since the 95% of Muslims who are described as either “moderate” or “un-radicalized” appear unwilling to play an active role in keeping their radicalized brethren in check, we have no long term alternative but to quarantine them… prohibiting them from residing anywhere within the civilized nations of the Earth.
Barack Obama appears convinced that we have little to fear from Muslim immigration. That simply is not the case. Our political leaders live each day inside protective cocoons, safe from the bloodlust of the Muslim muhajirs, whose sole purpose in life is to impose their brutal 7th century culture on 21st century Judeo-Christian nations. And since our political leaders appear unwilling to do what is necessary to protect us, we cannot escape the possibility that We the People may ultimately be forced to take matters into our own hands.
Unless we defeat radical Islam in the deserts of the Middle East and in the streets of Europe in the months and years ahead, they will surely confront us at the Statue of Liberty, the Washington Monument, and in the streets of America. If that comes to pass, western civilization will be lost forever. We cannot bequeath to our children and grandchildren the prospect of fighting a bloody battle that should have been fought and decided in our time.
Paul R. Hollrah is a retired government relations executive and a two-time member of the U.S. Electoral College. He currently lives and writes among the hills and lakes of northeast Oklahoma’s Green Country.

Fine Ol' Solution, ya'll.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well no, that doesn't actually imply anything about the data security of her email servers from four years ago.

No one said it did? Besides a single line from the article that mentions concerns about the investigation, the meat of the article is about this attack and the russian attack that resulted in the DNC oppo information as well as donor information stolen from the DNC, which was recent.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

No one said it did? Besides a single line from the article that mentions concerns about the investigation, the meat of the article is about this attack and the russian attack that resulted in the DNC oppo information as well as donor information stolen from the DNC, which was recent.

I was refuting the paragraph that you selectively quoted that did say that.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CommieGIR posted:

Holy loving batshit. I can't believe I read most of that. Those are a lot of :words: for advocating deporting every Muslim to some Middle Eastern country and then murdering them. How would they decide where to send white and black Muslims that converted and aren't of Middle East descent?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CommieGIR posted:

So I guess this time they're just skipping over trying to ship them to Madagascar first

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CommieGIR posted:

Well of course the first ammendment isn't a suicide pact: everyone knows that's the second :rolleyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy loving batshit. I can't believe I read most of that. Those are a lot of :words: for advocating deporting every Muslim to some Middle Eastern country and then murdering them. How would they decide where to send white and black Muslims that converted and aren't of Middle East descent?

Those don't exist, don't be silly.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So other than having his soul owned by AIPAC, how is Chuck Schumer?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ego-bot posted:

He also has his soul owned by Wall Street

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

That doesn't tell you enough?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ego-bot posted:

You know how everyone accuses Hillary of being entirely bought and paid for by wall st. with there being basically no evidence to back it up other than feelings?

Chuck Schumer is entirely bought and paid for by wall st. and there is a literal mountain of evidence to support this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ego-bot posted:

Imagine Joe Liebermann with slightly less lovely opinions and friendlier to wall street.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A Winner is Jew posted:

You know how everyone accuses Hillary of being entirely bought and paid for by wall st. with there being basically no evidence to back it up other than feelings?

Chuck Schumer is entirely bought and paid for by wall st. and there is a literal mountain of evidence to support this.

I'm pretty sure we have the receipt around here somewhere.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

quote:

Accordingly, the first step in coming to grips with the Islamic threat is to officially declassify Islam as a protected religion in the hearts and minds of western populations. Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and Presbyterians do not stone women to death; they do not behead those who are of a different faith; they do not throw homosexuals from tall buildings; they do not place their enemies in steel cages and lower them into tanks of water, or spray them with gasoline and burn them alive; they do not capture large numbers of women and young girls and sell them into sex slavery; and they do not sexually assault women and girls in public places because they think their style of dress is an open invitation. No, these are atrocities that are unique to the Muslim world. They are not, and can never be, protected religious practices by anyone’s standard.
Oh gently caress you rear end in a top hat, who the gently caress do you think is busy rescuing those Yazidis from slavery?

https://twitter.com/jackshahine/status/724600179270275072
https://twitter.com/EzidiPress/status/737735027069440001
https://twitter.com/EzidiPress/status/739223323041800192
While this rear end in a top hat has been sitting and writing a Nazi paper about how evil Muslims are, a bunch of various Muslim and non-Muslim forces have been busy saving Yazidis in any way they can.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The funny thing is that he talked to and bragged about the endorsement of a bunch of fundamentalists today that are doing exactly that right here on US soil

edit - I said it was funny but now I'm sad. I just rope-a-doped myself :(

CommieGIR posted:

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 21, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Got the reference, eh?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Got the reference, eh?

I love that show and people shame me for it, but that doesn't work because I exist in a SHAME FREE BUBBLE

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

The most dangerous place in Washington is between Schumer and a camera.

(He is thoroughly pro Israel and pro finance industry. He's mostly liberal but unarguably not a progressive. He is also a complete and utter whore for attention.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Steve King gonna Steve King

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/745382598931800065

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
How much sway does the president, or presumptive nominee as leader of the national party have over decisions like that? Makes the idea of Sanders getting anything through congress were he elected an even more difficult task if that's something he could not change if he had won the primary.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

American history since 1960's for 300 Alex?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow that dude really went full Hitler.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

rscott posted:

How much sway does the president, or presumptive nominee as leader of the national party have over decisions like that? Makes the idea of Sanders getting anything through congress were he elected an even more difficult task if that's something he could not change if he had won the primary.

In theory none - it's entirely a vote of the Senate Democratic Caucus. In reality it depends on (a) how good he is at convincing Senate Dems to do stuff for him and (b) how appealing his proposed alternative is.

EDIT: The other Sanders factor is that a President has carrots and sticks, but how likely is someone who is "politically pure" or whatever to go in hard on them? Like is Sanders really gonna hand out appointments to Senators' buddies or something, or would he be unwilling to do that?

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 21, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Things are really getting off to a great start for the Olympic Games

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brazil-jaguar-olympics_us_5769a0a9e4b09926ce5ce33e?section=

quote:

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - A jaguar featured at an Olympic torch ceremony was shot dead by a soldier shortly after the event in the Brazilian Amazon city of Manaus as the animal escaped from its handlers, an army statement said.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I love how they specifically mention that there was no explicit reason (other than the obvious) given for it and that there hasn't been any comment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The End Taxpayer Funded Cell Phones Act of 2016 just failed in the House 207-143. It needed a 2/3rds majority to pass under suspension of the rules.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SgtScruffy posted:

I love how they specifically mention that there was no explicit reason (other than the obvious) given for it and that there hasn't been any comment.

I hope his loving district floods like a motherfucker again, Harriet Tubman was a stone cold badass and ought to be on a bill that features her leading the Combahee Raid.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SgtScruffy posted:

Must congressmen really supply a reason for every little thing they do?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boy, he really wants RaHoWa, and he wants it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The US constitution does place the power to coin money fully in the legislature, but interesting how Mr. King became so suddenly interested in regulating this.

• Locked thread