Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's great they're supporting mods greater than Civ5 did, but it's still not the same as having a fully realized official leader, which like many said before wouldn't really happen at the cost of another civ.

And I want Trajan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I hope Firaxis keeps Ghandi, but then when India's spotlight comes up it shows a picture of Indira Ghandi.

You wanna talk about a can of worms, that'd be the biggest one I can think of

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So they haven't revealed any European civs yet? I hope they go for Charlemagne, leader of the Europe civilization

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I play Civ V almost exclusively with modded in Civs now (the JFD packs and a few I've picked up here and there). But my Mac is so lovely none of the leaders animate, note even the vanilla ones. WOULD modded leaders animate if I had a good enough computer or all they all static?

I guess I didn't even realize that was a modding limitation.

E: I missed the joke. :smith:

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Peas and Rice posted:

I play Civ V almost exclusively with modded in Civs now (the JFD packs and a few I've picked up here and there). But my Mac is so lovely none of the leaders animate, note even the vanilla ones. WOULD modded leaders animate if I had a good enough computer or all they all static?
The vast majority are just static, unvoiced screens. I think the Australian one is animated and voiced but I don't use it so I'm not sure.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

So they haven't revealed any European civs yet? I hope they go for Charlemagne, leader of the Europe civilization

I can't wait to play as "the whites"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Re: Gandhi

Early on when talking up the agenda system, one of the devs (possibly Ed, not sure) said something like "Gandhi is going to have some friends"... a pretty strong hint that Gandhi is in.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

He was also in the first trailer, and has been referenced a bunch in other interviews. He's 100% in. Monty is also in, even if he hasn't been 100% officially confirmed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There's no way they will exclude Ghandi. 'Ghandi nuked my city lulz' meme posts are pretty much free marketing for them

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 21, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sun-king louie of the european union

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
robert schuman for the eu civ

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Was Greece ever unified enough for a leader besides the Macedonian Alexander? I doubt Firaxis would split it up to separate city-states like Athens and Sparta, which could have their own separate ones.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

GuyUpNorth posted:

Was Greece ever unified enough for a leader besides the Macedonian Alexander? I doubt Firaxis would split it up to separate city-states like Athens and Sparta, which could have their own separate ones.

Pericles showed up at least once in the franchise...

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Athens during the era of Pericles was a essentially hegemonic power, so I think you could easily justify it. Really it's not very different from Alexander's level of control over the Greek city-states, except Athens lost.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Obviously they should replace every leader with an anime girl version of said leader.

Also Palestine as a playable civilization. Their leader is anime girl Jesus.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Having strong research bonuses based on your geography is a cool idea and all, but are we still going to have to research sailing in order to eventually research late game stuff? If they're going to do this kind of research system where they promote specialization in certain areas based on the world around you, I'd rather they went the whole way with it and made multiple viable paths to late game tech so not everyone has to eventually research all the same stuff.

Kennel posted:

Obviously they should replace every leader with an anime girl version of said leader.

Don't worry, there'll be a mod for that within a week.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kennel posted:

Modders got all this covered.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I approve of anime civilization. And so does Genghis Chan:

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

AriadneThread posted:

sun-king louie of the european union

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Diocletian for Rome, with unique Cabbage resource

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I get this, thanks to the excellent History of Rome podcast.

(Diocletian retired but then later when the empire was going to poo poo they begged him to come back, but he chose to stay in his garden farming cabbages instead because he enjoyed it more than being emperor).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GuyUpNorth posted:

I guess you could have some 19th century king? Or, if they're ballsy enough to roll the Byzantines and Greeks into one, any of those emperors.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The important question is.
Will this be the first Civ game that has a good vanilla version or will it also be meh until 1-2 expansions in, just like all the others?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jack Trades posted:

Will this be the first Civ game that has a good vanilla version or will it also be meh until 1-2 expansions in, just like all the others?

You shut your filthy mouth. Civ 1 was perfect vanilla.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Jack Trades posted:

:lol:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jack Trades posted:

It's going to be buggy and run like poo poo for the few months, as is Firaxis tradition

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hopefully they'll have enough sense to have hotseat in from the start this time. :argh:

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Has multiplayer support, especially pitboss, been mentioned at all anywhere? I mean, CiV promised it months after release and delivered a crappy version years later, so even if it has been mentioned I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt, but I haven't seen a word. Has anyone else?

lol efb

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Civ 5 was amazingly bad on release to make 'needs 2 expansions to be good' a perceived feature of the franchise, I don't remember people being dissatisfied with the vanilla versions of the other games (though to be fair I never played 1-3 vanilla)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Beyond Earth was widely regarded as trash, iirc, even with the expansion. I'd keep your expectations in check.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civilization 6 is going to be very good when it comes out, and great after the first balance patch. It has the advantage of many of its systems being tested for years in BNW and then written in from scratch instead of being forced into an existing engine.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Beyond Earth was widely regarded as trash, iirc, even with the expansion. I'd keep your expectations in check.

It still doesn't prove the rule of 'good after some expansions' then :v:

I'll maintain reservations about Civ 6 as I agree 'release partially finished product, fix later with expansions/dlc' is the trend the series and strategy games in general seem to be heading in. I just think it's funny Civ 5 burned people so badly with this they have started to believe the series was always like this (though like I said I'm not a longtime Civ veteran and would be interested to know if this was actually a complaint with earlier games - I thought Civ 4 for instance was perfectly good and playable vanilla)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Human Crouton posted:

Civilization 6 is going to be very good when it comes out, and great after the first balance patch. It has the advantage of many of its systems being tested for years in BNW and then written in from scratch instead of being forced into an existing engine.

But they are trying a lot of new stuff too.

Personally, Ill go with "It will be great after an expansion or two"

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'll maintain reservations about Civ 6 as I agree 'release partially finished product, fix later with expansions/dlc' is the trend the series and strategy games in general seem to be heading in. I just think it's funny Civ 5 burned people so badly with this they have started to believe the series was always like this (though like I said I'm not a longtime Civ veteran and would be interested to know if this was actually a complaint with earlier games - I thought Civ 4 for instance was perfectly good and playable vanilla)

Its more like a trend in complex games in general really. See paradox, for example

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 22, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it will be good on release and be great after an expansions or two. Finishing the game with expansions is tradition (as with civ iv) but there's no way they get it as bad as civ v was on release. Since they already have the experience of BNW and it isn't obviously a B project like Beyond Earth we should be saved from worst of it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There used to be this thing where video game companies paid in-house employees to do extensive beta testing, and then they would fix various bugs before release.

That was before the industry figured out that the market will actually pay full price for an early beta, test the poo poo out of it for you for free, and then--this part is the absolute best--actually pay more money for the bugfixes and late-arriving content.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair, the market is way better at beta testing than any in house team ever will be. Also usually the actual bugfixing patches are free, or at least they were in civ v.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also it's not like gamedev studios have been spending less money on making their games. That QA budget just got reallocated to the graphics department.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I thought Civ 4 for instance was perfectly good and playable vanilla)

Mechanics aside, Civ 4 had some pretty major memory leaks on release. It was also (qualitatively?) a simpler game, so it was easier to make AI less poo poo than Civ 5's numerous complexities.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the other hand Civ IV had diplomacy, whereas Civ V did not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I may be a mark I guess, but I'm more than happy to give them full price on the game even if its not great like Civ 5. As bad as it was, that original $50 I spent still keeps it as one of my most played games in my Steam Library of ALL TIME.

So even if we bitch and complain about it, there are very few games that last more than 5 months, let alone 5 years in our libraries.

Civ 6 woot woot.