Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should really watch Moral Orel in full. I was immediately turned off by the first couple episodes but later on I happened to tune in to the one where Orel gets shot and was immediately fascinated. I think I saw a few more season 3 episodes and I think "Alone" was one of them. Still, despite seeing so little of the show it's definitely stuck with me.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Drunk. Is. NATURE.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I really hated that show but am curious what the things that make AS blink are?
It's not what made the show get canned but season 3 opens with ...

one of the female characters is just numb, to the point where she has to engage in harder and more violent methods of masturbating. Her doctor is aroused by his patients' pain, so it becomes this feedback loop of the girl weed-whacking her clit, the doc getting hot and giving her pain killers, etc. She eventually orgasms from remembering the doc's admiration. Running to the doctor because she feels wanted, she is dismayed when his interest cools as he learns she hadn't hurt herself again. She's left completely numb again.

Basically S1/2 are just critical of small town values, with Orel doing insane things and learning the wrong lesson at the end as a kind of inversion of those smarmy churchy cartoons. S3 explores the backstory to all the characters and you find they're deeply broken or hideous monsters kept together by the façade of religion or their jobs/social links.
Like, the weird catty church lady that is super prudish and against enjoying things actually loves eggs because her mother removed her reproductive organs as a child so she's got a complex about purity, and eggs are a way she deals with being barren.

As someone said earlier, played straight is what did them in. No one batted an eye when Orel got hooked on heroin, or when the only non-WASP family in town (the Italianish Figurellis) benefited from reverse racism, were called "Figgers" by their former neighbors (and emulated by the town youth which were them called "Wiggerelli's"). Because there were yuk-yuk co sequences to them.
Show that a lady likely gave herself a coat hanger abortion -- the instrument of which she keeps in her possession -- and is infatuated with her rapist, without any laughs? Suddenly not cool.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 21, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FilthyImp posted:

It's not what made the show get canned but season 3 opens with ...

one of the female characters is just numb, to the point where she has to engage in harder and more violent methods of masturbating. Her doctor is aroused by his patients' pain, so it becomes this feedback loop of the girl weed-whacking her clit, the doc getting hot and giving her pain killers, etc. She eventually orgasms from remembering the doc's admiration. Running to the doctor because she feels wanted, she is dismayed when his interest cools as he learns she hadn't hurt herself again. She's left completely numb again.

Basically S1/2 are just critical of small town values, with Orel doing insane things and learning the wrong lesson at the end as a kind of inversion of those smarmy churchy cartoons. S3 explores the backstory to all the characters and you find they're deeply broken or hideous monsters kept together by the façade of religion or their jobs/social links.
Like, the weird catty church lady that is super prudish and against enjoying things actually loves eggs because her mother removed her reproductive organs as a child so she's got a complex about purity, and eggs are a way she deals with being barren.

I guess I owe you a thank you. Before this post there was a slim chance that I would have looked into this show as some point in my life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

counterfeitsaint posted:

I guess I owe you a thank you. Before this post there was a slim chance that I would have looked into this show as some point in my life.
The series works because Orel is a nice foil to all these crazies and there's a slow build to the realization that the people in this kid's life suuuuuuuck.

I mean, you could reduce the pilot of R&M to "the old guy tells his nephew to stick pointy alien seeds up his tight, malleable anus-hole to get them through space customs" and that would probably turn people off too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Moral Orel works because even at it darkest it kinda has a heart/soul to it, and its mostly because Orel himself.

e: Hell, its a lot more hopeful than people actually give it credit for, I just remember the Reverend ends up becoming a good person.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 21, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oral goes to a wicked town and sends the members of this town to moralton to be saved, cause its every Christians duty to save a sinner.

The sinners are hookers and Oral is their pimp.

He learned a good loophole on masturbation

Oral is a rapist.

When the last season goes into basically a character study of these adults into the how and why they are broken is amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The_Doctor posted:

The most uncomfortable cosplay.

Oh Christ. Wow. That's.... wow.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

max4me posted:

Oral goes to a wicked town and sends the members of this town to moralton to be saved, cause its every Christians duty to save a sinner.

The sinners are hookers and Oral is their pimp.

He learned a good loophole on masturbation

Oral is a rapist.

When the last season goes into basically a character study of these adults into the how and why they are broken is amazing.

You are not suppose to post this after I said the show kinda has a heart to it because no one is going to believe me now

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PBS Newshour posted:

Moral Orel works because even at it darkest it kinda has a heart/soul to it, and its mostly because Orel himself.

e: Hell, its a lot more hopeful than people actually give it credit for, I just remember the Reverend ends up becoming a good person.

Moral Orel is one of my favorite AS shows of all time. One of the things is because in spite of all the dark and hosed up things, there is heart in it and in the end, Orel always keeps his upbeat nature, even as he becomes an adult. He overcomes the misery of Moralton..

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Moral Orel is so very good. That season three is what keeps it from being just another Adult Swim show and makes it something different and amazing.

Rick and Morty question: what is that jump roping girl singing in the inception part of Lawnmower Dog? I feel like I'm missing out on a joke.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Rick and Morty question: what is that jump roping girl singing in the inception part of Lawnmower Dog? I feel like I'm missing out on a joke.

It's a parody song from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

Can't decide which is better, moral oral talk or American dad talk.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Johnny Truant posted:

It's a parody song from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

Can't decide which is better, moral oral talk or American dad talk.

I get that she's singing something funny and I understand the reference, I'm wondering what she's singing.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I get that she's singing something funny and I understand the reference, I'm wondering what she's singing.

It's a nursery rhyme.
"One-Two, Buckle my shoe,
Three-Four, Out the door,
Five-Six, Pick up sticks,
Seven-Eight, Lay them straight,
Nine-Ten, A BIG FAT HEN!"

:bernget:

Do you mean the actual lyrics she sings in the episode?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MrSlam posted:

It's a nursery rhyme.
"One-Two, Buckle my shoe,
Three-Four, Out the door,
Five-Six, Pick up sticks,
Seven-Eight, Lay them straight,
Nine-Ten, A BIG FAT HEN!"

:bernget:

Do you mean the actual lyrics she sings in the episode?

I thought she was singing a funny parody in the episode.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Literally the first google search

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh Christ. Wow. That's.... wow.

It's really funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's a parody of the Freddy song

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This is what I was asking.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

It's a parody of the Freddy song

Which is clearly a takeoff of the DMX song.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does Interdimensional Cable II need to be watched after the first one, or does it matter? II just went live on my cable box for on demand viewing and I've seen a couple minutes and my god, this is going to rule.

I'm also curious to see the Pilot. The Pilot to Space Ghost: Coast to Coast was brutal, and ATHF's wasn't much better.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
How much you love the pilot is directly related to how much you love burps

(Burps are cool and good)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
As was said earlier, the interdimensional cable episodes are kind of like treehouse of horror from the Simpsons. They stand alone, though both of them do have B-plots.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never felt like the pilot felt like a pilot. It feels like all the other episodes, maybe a bit more burping and drooling but I love that Roiland poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick had more of a Doc Brown cadence in the first episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick had more of a Doc Brown cadence in the first episode.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The pilot's a little bit rougher than the other episodes, but it doesn't feel out of place. It isn't like, say, Invader Zim's pilot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zim's pilot owns.

But the later episodes are better because they got to nail down the characters more. Dib became less assholy, and more heroic and Zim became more narcissistic and way more of an antagonist.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Who was the goon that worked on R&M? I wanna find & read their posts again..

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was Typical.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nice here's a link to Typical's posts in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593012&userid=112694

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
The card game based on Total Rickall is very good and I recommend everyone buy it

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh God, I just watched the episode where the family's house gets invaded by these telepathic parasites that insert themselves into people's memories to convince them that they're life-long friends. The first two thirds were hilarious but when it got to the flashbacks of the family being horrible to each other it turned very sour. I hate comedies that try to find humor in dysfunctional families. This is why I stopped watching Family Guy. I hate images of cruelty that aren't countered by moments of redemption or justice. Not only are they upsetting, but when I am treated cruelly or see images of cruelty, I feel like being cruel too and that is unhealthy and dangerous. I think I will stop watching this show. Maybe I should watch a documentary on Harriet Tubman or Mahatma Gandhi to recover.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Kurzon posted:

Oh God, I just watched the episode where the family's house gets invaded by these telepathic parasites that insert themselves into people's memories to convince them that they're life-long friends. The first two thirds were hilarious but when it got to the flashbacks of the family being horrible to each other it turned very sour. I hate comedies that try to find humor in dysfunctional families. This is why I stopped watching Family Guy. I hate images of cruelty that aren't countered by moments of redemption or justice. Not only are they upsetting, but when I am treated cruelly or see images of cruelty, I feel like being cruel too and that is unhealthy and dangerous. I think I will stop watching this show. Maybe I should watch a documentary on Harriet Tubman or Mahatma Gandhi to recover.

Hahahahahaha

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You're going to watch a movie about an Indian folk hero that constantly evoked that Africans were subhuman? Takes all kinds, I guess.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

Skip ahead to the season 2 finale, it's pretty dramatic at the start but it has a really upbeat, happy ending that'll leave you in a better mood. :buddy:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

WarpedNaba posted:

You're going to watch a movie about an Indian folk hero that constantly evoked that Africans were subhuman? Takes all kinds, I guess.
Ah gently caress. Do you have anything to reproach about MLK?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kurzon posted:

Ah gently caress. Do you have anything to reproach about MLK?

You may want to sit down for this, but all human beings, even the best of us, are hosed up in one way or another, and your goal to find the perfect person who never did a lovely thing is futile. You will also do lovely things. Sorry.

(King cheated on his wife a lot)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

You may want to sit down for this, but all human beings, even the best of us, are hosed up in one way or another, and your goal to find the perfect person who never did a lovely thing is futile. You will also do lovely things. Sorry.

Dunno, Rick is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

(King cheated on his wife a lot)

In fact, the whole point of the episode that you probably skipped over was that perfect flawless people simply aren't real. They're parasitic memory monsters.

• Locked thread