Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Got my Pell Grant approved yesterday so I was able to send in my letter of intent and get the deposit waived. I'm still waiting on word for my 9/11 Bill but once I get that I'm gonna start figuring out what classes I'm gonna take. I'm also waiting to see if they are taking any of my previous college courses, which will be a great help. I've got like 67 credits at Thomas Edison so hopefully they'll pick some up at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If your *academic* writing skills aren't up to snuff, I highly suggest an optional English writing course. If they offer credit for the basic English requirements, by all means take it, but consider a writing course as an elective. Military shorthand and our typically brief writing style will be an asset later on, but in beginning/intermediate courses it will leave you frustrated. I got yelled at from freshman to junior year that I was too verbose/brief, then magically when I hit senior year and got into the real meat of my coursework it was nothing but praise. Nothing really changed in the meantime.

I also highly recommend taking at least one course in statistics, regardless of whatever field you end up in. In some cases statistics will meet your school's advanced math requirements (if they have them) so if you know you'll never need college algebra, stats is infinitely more useful.

The rest is a choose your own adventure. I wouldn't take more than 12 credit hours your first semester, until you get used to the courseload and what is expected of you. You can push 15 if you want, depending on what courses you take.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

gently caress English 101, I generally write concisely and that infuriated my professor to no end.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

English professors masturbate with thesaurus pages. If they have a problem with concise writing they need to get out of English academia (lol) and into a real job.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My school has an in-department science writing courses for all the different disciplines that fulfill the upper division writing requirement. I'm really looking forward to mine.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Cross-posted from SAL:

I'm entering my last year of undergrad, and I've been doing pretty well. I've fulfilled all of my core requirements and nearly all of my major requirements, so I figured that it would be a good time to start tailoring my coursework towards graduate schools - specifically MPA/MPP programs. I'm a Middle East Studies major, which gives me a language and some polisci focus, and I've spent quite a bit of time abroad because I was enlisted swine. Although I have almost no math background, I have a few other quantitative classes on my transcript; Intro stats, macroeconomics, and global economics. Math scares me, so I really want to avoid taking math if I can help it. Stats doesn't scare me as much, so I was considering taking a next-level stats class like "Applied statistical methods" or linear regression. Unfortunately, I have no idea how difficult those would be for a math dummy like me. Does anyone have any insight? Can you do linear regression without, say, calculus? Or, would it be better to avoid that entirely and take, say, intermediate macro and/or micro?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Macroeconomics isn't too bad, global economics should be about the same.

Stats though, here's the meta answer to any question: The answer is either right or wrong, so there is always a 50% chance you are right.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I took five semesters of statistics. I am a loving moron at algebra and I was able to pass them easily.

If you do any sort of statistical analysis ever, linear regression is the hammer in your toolbox of methods.

Pick one statistical program: SAS, SPSS or Stata. Get good at it, and use the other ones once or twice so you're at least halfway familiar with it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pick up R. It's free and since work won't pay for my SAS license anymore I've switched over.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm loving around and registering for classes, but the way they are offering classes in this course means I can't come up with a full semester within the degree plan. Normally I'd be having to take math or english but I got all that poo poo done, and I meet all the elective requirements as well. I literally only need the courses directly related to the degree.

So I'm at 9 credit hours, 3 of those are labs. Does GI bill count lab hours? If I take a 3hr class I just pull out of my rear end like YOGA or something, even though its just for the hell out of it and doesnt count towards my degree plan will the GI Bill count it towards getting me to 12 cr hours or should I just stay at 9?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
As long as they're in-person hours, they're regular ol' credit hours.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK but what about the part about it not being part of my degree plan, I remember that was a part of MGIB.

edit I guess not according to ARMY loving STUDY GUIDE

quote:

OK, with that out of the way, now onto your question. To keep getting 100% of his Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance, yes, all of his courses, must pertain to his declared degree plan. Not only would courses not in his degree plan affect the number of credits that would apply to his housing allowance eligibility, but the VA also would not pay the tuition and any eligible associated fees connected with the non-degree plan courses.
http://www.armystudyguide.com/education/blog/will-the-gi-bill-pay-for-courses-not-part-of-a-degree-plan.html

that just confirms what I already thought to be the case.

I guess I'm part time bitches

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

OK but what about the part about it not being part of my degree plan, I remember that was a part of MGIB.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/education/blog/will-the-gi-bill-pay-for-courses-not-part-of-a-degree-plan.html

nobody at my school has ever once questioned the classes I chose before certifying them

take a burner and get full time, dude

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Everything on ArmyStudyGuide is written by retards. Take whatever classes your little heart desires.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DownByTheWooter posted:

nobody at my school has ever once questioned the classes I chose before certifying them

take a burner and get full time, dude

Yeah that's what I'm doing this fall. Only need 3 classes to graduate, so I'm taking a burner History 100 class to bump it to 12 credits.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My school absolutely gave zero shits what classes I was taking; hell, I got them to pay for a "karate" class so I could get thrown around by some south African girls for an hour

Unrelated (Illinois-specific) but also cool: my school only deducts 12 credit-hours fromy IVG if I'm going full-time, regardless of whether I'm actually only taking 12 or more like 15/18. So, hey, even more free poo poo for me

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Take whatever classes you want. Highly likely that your certifying official won't ask, nor care. VA-ONCE, the program that they use, asks only credit hours. You have to be a major loving rear end in a top hat to make dudes stick to that.

If anybody for any reason complains, declare whatever class you're interested in taking as a minor.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK I wasn't worried about the school itself, but would absolutely not be shocked if VA did some sort of audit. I'll look at some classes, but after some thinking I might just do the part time and save up the partial months or whatever for a rainy day bachelors degree or if I say gently caress it and change programs later on.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Honestly you shouldn't take burner classes, you have a finite amount of bennies and if you are only doing the absolute minimum per semester/even less than minimum, odds are you may run out of time before you graduate. I'm looking at finishing with enough time but it's cutting it close and I only have been taking 13-15 credits per semester + a few summer classes. You worked for those benefits, don't waste em on basketweaving if you can avoid it.

Plus, you don't want to be in school forever, that's time lost actually working in your field and making more money.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 16, 2016

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Justin Tyme posted:

Honestly you shouldn't take burner classes, you have a finite amount of bennies and if you are only doing the absolute minimum per semester/even less than minimum, odds are you may run out of time before you graduate. I'm looking at finishing with enough time but it's cutting it close and I only have been taking 13-15 credits per semester + a few summer classes. You worked for those benefits, don't waste em on basketweaving if you can avoid it.

Plus, you don't want to be in school forever, that's time lost actually working in your field and making more money.

He can only schedule enough of his required coursework to get a part-time load. He's burning [x] months of bennies for the term anyway, may as well take Cosmological Beliefs of the Ancient World, ASTR-1130 (3) to get a full paycheck. You don't get to carry over the other 3 credits' worth of BAH to another class term if you only go part time.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Not true of VR&E, FYI. If you go half time you burn half time of your bennies. At least that's what my counselor tells me. Pretty sure it still burns your post 9/11 like described above. But you shouldn't use Post 9/11 if you can get VR&E IMHO.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

OK I wasn't worried about the school itself, but would absolutely not be shocked if VA did some sort of audit. I'll look at some classes, but after some thinking I might just do the part time and save up the partial months or whatever for a rainy day bachelors degree or if I say gently caress it and change programs later on.

The VA doing an audit would require the VA to be an actionable entity. They exist almost entirely to gently caress you and then let you know that you have been hosed after the fact. As long as you discuss poo poo with your certifying officer or Vet Affairs rep then you should be golden. Don't worry that the VA is gonna take even a moment out of its time at any level to make sure what you're doing is right, they'll just gently caress you after they find out what you did is wrong

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Not true of VR&E, FYI. If you go half time you burn half time of your bennies. At least that's what my counselor tells me. Pretty sure it still burns your post 9/11 like described above. But you shouldn't use Post 9/11 if you can get VR&E IMHO.

It doesn't, I dropped to 2/3 time last summer for a semester and burned at 2/3 rate (post 9/11)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jarmak posted:

It doesn't, I dropped to 2/3 time last summer for a semester and burned at 2/3 rate (post 9/11)

You sure about that? I dropped a class a while back and was told I needed to pay cash, received less housing bennies because I was below full time, and as far as I can tell I didn't get credited back %25 of my days for that semester

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

I took five semesters of statistics. I am a loving moron at algebra and I was able to pass them easily.

If you do any sort of statistical analysis ever, linear regression is the hammer in your toolbox of methods.

Pick one statistical program: SAS, SPSS or Stata. Get good at it, and use the other ones once or twice so you're at least halfway familiar with it.

Got it. I looked around some more and found that the school offers classes in the poli sci department that are essentially data analysis and statistics for idiots, complete with programming in STATA. They seem like a good fit + not too hard.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The most important thing about statistics is teaching you why you use a specific method for a specific dataset, rather than how. The how is easy - you plug that motherfucker into your statistical program and it shits out your answer. You can teach anybody to do that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You sure about that? I dropped a class a while back and was told I needed to pay cash, received less housing bennies because I was below full time, and as far as I can tell I didn't get credited back %25 of my days for that semester

yup, and I just looked it up in the text of the GI bill itself to confirm:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/3313

edit:

The Post 9/11 GI Bill posted:

(4)Monthly payments.—For each month (as determined pursuant to the methods prescribed under subsection (d)(3)) for which amounts are paid an individual under this subsection, the entitlement of the individual to educational assistance under this chapter shall be charged at a percentage of a month equal to—
(A) the number of course hours borne by the individual in pursuit of the program of education involved, divided by
(B) the number of course hours for full-time pursuit of such program of education.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Kiryen posted:

So, turns out that to get into this Master's program getting a second Bachelor's is unavoidable. The professor pointed me to Western Governor's University.. which will not accept IT-series applicants unless they have IT job experience, an Associates, or various certificates.

So, I am now studying for the A+ cert (as a starter) to get into a Bachelor's to get into a Master's.

Oh well, at least I'll get BAH, as opposed to spending $25,000 on a motorcycle for a midlife crisis like a normal person.

Are you sure that WGU's degree will be acceptable to the college that you're applying to for a MS?

WGU seems to have a decent program to get you into IT but their credits tend to not be acceptable anywhere else due to the unconventional way that you earn them... or so I've heard.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Took a trip from Oklahoma City to Sacramento for my between school road trip. Cheers from Denver, goons.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm north of Denver in Boulder right now. It's hot as gently caress.

Also there's no fat people in Colorado and everyone is really nice. Basically paradise.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
It's hot here in Denver, why the gently caress would you come here in the summer?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Because premob starts in august and I wanted to get the long weekend with my girl before I bounced

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grem posted:

It's hot here in Denver, why the gently caress would you come here in the summer?

Work.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psydude posted:

Also there's no fat people in Colorado and everyone is really nice. Basically paradise.

Colorado pushes all their fats to New Mexico and Wyoming

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I'm moving to Denver on Friday. I'm not worried about the heat, but my apartment was built over an old hospital so I'm expecting it to be too spooky for me bro.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Colorado seems like it would be a nice place to live in some areas. Others like Grand Junction, not so much. Only visited that place once when I was like 10, and I knew even then that it was white trash central. I even lived in the ghetto back in California so it's not like it was an upgrade.

My 9/11 unsurprisingly got approved, but there's something they wrote me called an Army College Fund "kicker." Any idea what the gently caress that is?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Soulex posted:

Colorado seems like it would be a nice place to live in some areas. Others like Grand Junction, not so much. Only visited that place once when I was like 10, and I knew even then that it was white trash central. I even lived in the ghetto back in California so it's not like it was an upgrade.

My 9/11 unsurprisingly got approved, but there's something they wrote me called an Army College Fund "kicker." Any idea what the gently caress that is?
A "kicker" is a bit more money to play around with.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

A "kicker" is a bit more money to play around with.

Extra money is always good

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

psydude posted:

I miss Half Fast subs. A sandwich and strong island ice tea before class always did the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I really miss Colorado, I was stationed up in Wyoming, but Colorado was both an awesome place to be and a great source for VW/Audi parts.

• Locked thread