Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Bad news, guys. I, uh, think I kinda broke the game :v:

We got a couple of big ticket drops in the last few floors I played through. We're going to see how it goes with Ricerche—I mean, bosses usually have a way of bringing you back down to Earth—but we just rampaged through the next three floors in the cell block without breaking a sweat and I'm concerned the game's not going to catch up.

That's normal. The game eases up for a bit, the enemies become more annoying than anything. If you made through the early game gauntlet, this is a breeze.

It's the last cellblock you need to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ride this hubris into the atmosphere.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
It'll catch up eventually, I'm sure. Maybe not until the last area, but that's still eventually. You could always downgrade your equipment if it's bothering you.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Not gonna lie, the formatting of that post gave me an immediate, knee-jerk reaction of "Oh god, what happened to him and his wife this time?" I'm very glad to see that's not the case, and can't wait to see what you did to the game.

And I can't wait to empty quote you.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bacchante posted:

It'll catch up eventually, I'm sure. Maybe not until the last area, but that's still eventually. You could always downgrade your equipment if it's bothering you.

Ugh. This. This is how it starts.

"Killing the Heroes with our over-powered equipment and spells is so boring", you say. So you start carrying around two sets of gear; a weaker set for villager slaying and the like, and you keep your really good stuff in an extra dimensional space for when you decide "it's time to get serious". Next thing you know you're setting up your evil lair at the bottom of a multi-tiered fortress, its halls filled with appropriately leveled encounter groups so as to provide a challenge for invading Heroes, but not too much of a challenge, oh no, not too much, because occasionally you want to face a so-called "Worthy" adversary and get yourself a bit of a workout in the process. Of course, what you don't know is that the "Heroes" are using your seemingly limitless hordes to train themselves up to god-like levels of power and have probably found that loving MacGuffin that will shut-down all of your powers, which you though it was probably safe to stuff in a chest somewhere in your base, so by the time they decide to actually face you you're proper hosed.

I can't believe how much more of this poo poo I've been seeing in recent years. Did you know that the Evil Overlord mortality rate has jumped from sitting in the low teens just a decade ago to over 63% today? I was shocked at how few of my peers were alive to attend my graduating classes Evil Medical School reunion this past may. It's a real problem, and we need to get the word out now or soon there will be none of us left.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cassa posted:

Ride this hubris into the atmosphere.

hey guys it's getting pretty warm, should I be this close to the sun actually ehn I'm sure it's fine

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Little known fact but the Sorcerer's real birth name is Icarus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Danakir posted:

Little known fact but the Sorcerer's real birth name is Icarus.

Icarus Bellerophonson :unsmigghh::hf::getin:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

RickVoid posted:

Ugh. This. This is how it starts.

"Killing the Heroes with our over-powered equipment and spells is so boring", you say. So you start carrying around two sets of gear; a weaker set for villager slaying and the like, and you keep your really good stuff in an extra dimensional space for when you decide "it's time to get serious". Next thing you know you're setting up your evil lair at the bottom of a multi-tiered fortress, its halls filled with appropriately leveled encounter groups so as to provide a challenge for invading Heroes, but not too much of a challenge, oh no, not too much, because occasionally you want to face a so-called "Worthy" adversary and get yourself a bit of a workout in the process. Of course, what you don't know is that the "Heroes" are using your seemingly limitless hordes to train themselves up to god-like levels of power and have probably found that loving MacGuffin that will shut-down all of your powers, which you though it was probably safe to stuff in a chest somewhere in your base, so by the time they decide to actually face you you're proper hosed.

I can't believe how much more of this poo poo I've been seeing in recent years. Did you know that the Evil Overlord mortality rate has jumped from sitting in the low teens just a decade ago to over 63% today? I was shocked at how few of my peers were alive to attend my graduating classes Evil Medical School reunion this past may. It's a real problem, and we need to get the word out now or soon there will be none of us left.

I giggled far more than I should have at this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Derek Barona posted:

I giggled far more than I should have at this.

Yeah. I put it in the OP :3:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
:D

Of course, now I can't unsee the missed letter on thought (in the section about the MacGuffin), or that the word "it" probably shouldn't follow "thought" in the same sentence.

Still, can't beleive it made it into the OP. Thanks.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Oh, you know, just your basic razorblade arms. Nothing special.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So, uh, do these guys only want to live in dead metal? Or can we find them bodies in the dungeon proper?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi guys! Contrary to popular belief, neither I nor this thread are deceased. In fact, we should be seeing an update in a day or two. I've had to settle into a new job last week, plus I've taken the opportunity to finally get some writing finished on my ~novel~. No you can't read it, no one can, it'll never be accepted for publication and I'm going to have to learn to live with that. :negative:

But anyway! More LP nonsense coming soon, wherein we will answer a longstanding question about love and battlefields. The answer may very well shock you.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi guys! Contrary to popular belief, neither I nor this thread are deceased. In fact, we should be seeing an update in a day or two. I've had to settle into a new job last week, plus I've taken the opportunity to finally get some writing finished on my ~novel~. No you can't read it, no one can, it'll never be accepted for publication and I'm going to have to learn to live with that. :negative:

But anyway! More LP nonsense coming soon, wherein we will answer a longstanding question about love and battlefields. The answer may very well shock you.

You can always self-public as a romance novel on kindle.

(Let us know if you ever publish or self publish though, I want to read.)

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

SystemLogoff posted:

This is loving beautiful, dude.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

It's everything I wanted post, but they sent a poet to do it. Excellent.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Can't wait for the next few updates, I've been replaying this game due to the LP and the drop tables get insane in this stretch.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can't help but think that the ~novel~ is a prologue to the Legend's LP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, this got me playing this turd again. My vampire/minotaur/cultist team gave up in block 9 after a double running slash party wipe.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Chokes McGee posted:

"The saw, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Saw: the tip of the teeth parting, and the throat opening in elation, in worship."

I quiver with novel anticipation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, this got me playing this turd again. My vampire/minotaur/cultist team gave up in block 9 after a double running slash party wipe.

Got Sleep or paralyze? It makes those dudes much easier when you can deal with them one by one. You do not want to get into a damage race with enemies. Also did you go magic or physical for your Sorceror?

9 is a dry run for 10, so you need to be really on the ball with mob management.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Got Sleep or paralyze? It makes those dudes much easier when you can deal with them one by one. You do not want to get into a damage race with enemies. Also did you go magic or physical for your Sorceror?

9 is a dry run for 10, so you need to be really on the ball with mob management.

Looks like the former on the question. I haven't actually started over yet, this is just looking at an old save from a year or 2 ago. Looks like my only paralyze was on a weapon. I think the main thing that pissed me off was that running slash users stopped being really obvious in advance and wiped me first turn of the first encounter of the zone. Probably just gonna start over because I have no loving clue what I was doing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nah you should be okay. Got an Abomination, Skeleton or Ghost? Replace Minotaur with one of those. Abom and Skele can tank and knockdown the guys. Ghost can use dirge to debuff and Hand of Frailty to make them weak against magic. His paralyze can also take a dude out of the fight (just don't attack said dude, I find that makes paralysis wear off faster). Nuke the debuff'd dude with sorcerer, wale on him with vampire, keep your guys alive with Cultist.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Nah you should be okay. Got an Abomination, Skeleton or Ghost? Replace Minotaur with one of those. Abom and Skele can tank and knockdown the guys. Ghost can use dirge to debuff and Hand of Frailty to make them weak against magic. His paralyze can also take a dude out of the fight (just don't attack said dude, I find that makes paralysis wear off faster). Nuke the debuff'd dude with sorcerer, wale on him with vampire, keep your guys alive with Cultist.

Got goast, goblin and puppet. Problem being that it looks like I blew all my money on something and can't get them geared up. my sorcerer is also wearing a bunch of wildly obsolete gear with int on it instead of having anything resembling actual defense :psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SystemLogoff posted:

GOD DAMMIT STOP LEAKING MY COVERS

quote:

"The saw, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Saw: the tip of the teeth parting, and the throat opening in elation, in worship."

FeyerbrandX posted:

Can't help but think that the ~novel~ is a prologue to the Legend's LP.

...seriously though, are you guys feeling alright? I think the thread may have gone slightly mad in my absence.

Update drops tonight. It's a short one because I'm hard-splitting the story into individual cell blocks and this next one is real short. It's great nonetheless, though. Plus I get all the credit for an update with like a tenth of the work :smug:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 22, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

...seriously though, are you guys feeling alright? I think the thread may have gone slightly mad in my absence.

Look, if we don't have you to supply zany madcap adventures, then we have to manufacture our own, alright?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

My theory is that your presence, not absence is the cause. You are the catalyst, you are not consumed by the madness, but accelerate the natural insanity.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*reads thread*

Oh my god it all makes sense hahahahahahahahaha *weeps*

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto V, Stanza 1: Love and Monsters

Short one this time! When I started the LP, I decided to write updates by cell block. Unfortunately, this one is really short. Tons of personality, though. Also, I'm now officially flying blind, as this is the farthest I've made it in the game. That whooshing sound was all the hilarity on the forums rushing towards this thread, or perhaps just my water pipes bursting again.

Let's do this thing! The update, I mean. Not the water pipes bursting.

Vlad. Bull. Ziggy. You're with me.

Wow. You're not kidding around this time, are you?

I want Ricerche to know I remember him. Do you understand me? I want you to get this gently caress where he breathes. I want you to find this nancy boy Ricerche. I want him dead! I want his family dead!

We might as well head back. He's gonna be like this for a while.

Hoo boy. Don't I know it.

Look alive, fucksticks! Evil's all up in this bitch! :whatup:

Color me unimpressed.

WHY IS ALWAYS ME, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

We kick off Cell Block 5 with a fight against a high level warrior and an elf wizard. As you can see, the elf's spells hurt. Keep in mind armor blocks magic at a 50% rate. That is one big-rear end spell.

Her buddy will also back her up with some generic tank skills; otherwise, he's a bog standard high level fighter. That's pretty much as remarkable as these two get. We'll see a lot more elf wizards coming up, and they'll be priority targets. They can do a lot of damage in a big hurry. One's a headache, two or more can knock serious holes in our party.

Fortunately, hornhead picked this team for a reason.

Saaaailors fighting in the dance hall, oh man, look at those cavemen go~

Well, poo poo.

...I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night, and I wanna piss on his ashes!

That's why I like you, boss. Ya' got style.

Elf wizards are about as fragile as you'd expect, so Team Physical Damage stomps her into paste in a hurry. We just have to deal with her backup after that.

You killed her! You monster!

And I should give a poo poo... why, exactly?

I'll avenge you, my fair comrade

Bull, do me a favor and knock this moron on his rear end.

You got it.

*flares fireball in hand* Party time.

Hahahahahahahaha :unsmigghh:

Holy crap. I've never seen him this wound up before.

Me either. It's kinda scary.

For once.

This fight was over in three rounds. It bears mentioning that Arcane Blast was the only damage we took. Bull knocked the fighter down in round two, and then we beat the poo poo out of him in round 3. On that note, knockdown is way more useful than I remember. It's probably because I hadn't taken Bull this far before, but it's also (very) possible I just assumed it was crap and never tried it. Status ailments are pretty incredible in this game. The way you can stick them on people consistently, you'd think this was SaGa.

Wait, I didn't actually check before I started. It's not SaGa, right?

Right?

Anyway, we're getting to the point where we don't need Willow on hand 24/7—especially for randos like these two. As a result, we have a party slot free and can absolutely floor it as far as damage output goes. I know what I said about rocket tag, but because of drops and training, we have a massive head start on everyone. We might as well have fun with it while it lasts. Besides, everybody likes teeing off on heroes! They make the best GLAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH noises when they die. :allears:

Well, that was quick.

Oh come the gently caress on! I was just getting warmed up!

Hey, what's on the table over there?

Hmm. *scrape scrape*

Who carved this sappy bullshit?

quote:

I heard there's a romance going on between two heroes on Block 5.

Wow. Really?

Yeah. I'm surprised that sort of thing doesn't happen more often to tell the truth.

quote:

I'll avenge you, my fair comrade

...beats me.

C'mon, let's clear out the rest of this floor. I got a whole lot more murder left in me.

Although there's still room for some greed!

I'm surprised you can fit it all in.

I have a big heart.

And a head to match!

Har har.

:words: Aliel's rampage continued, wreaking havoc over the countryside. The lack of communication infrastructure only aggravated the problems the populace had facing the sorceress' attack.

:frogon:

...Aliel...

Chief?

Just thinking.

Ooh, you can practically hear the wheels squeaking.

...got it all out of your system now?

Hardly.

Most of the jewelry is so-so, but these are worth a pretty tidy sum. We also pick up a bunch of middling treasure drops and a couple of healing potions.

Sadly this one does not have a scroll in it. I checked. :saddowns:

Livin' quarters.

I seriously doubt those clowns owned anything of value.

I'm so lucky to have been stationed across the hall from someone as beautiful as you. Remember when we used to complain about having to guard this empty hallway.

:barf:

I think it's lovely.

You would.

This is probably the elf's room.

Was.

quote:

Oh, yeah. Anton and Kylie. He's head over heels. You can tell she's his entire life.

Yeah, but they're still guards. What happens if they're the ones who catch us?

Man, we're evil and all, but some things are off limits. You have to have a really black heart to mess with love.

...right.

Quick, let's steal her underwear!

Right there with you.

...what would you even do with it?

I look good in anything, love.

Lesse here...

He drives me crazy sometimes. I told him it was just a temporary thing while we were both stationed here, but he's taking it way too seriously. Sometimes I'm tempted to join the monks upstairs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

Well. I suppose love can't bloom in a battlefield.

Yeah. :smith:

YOU GUYS I CAN'T BREATHE HAHAHAHAHAHA

We're going to have to carry him.

Not it!

Not i—aw, dammit!

SERIOUSLY THE rear end in a top hat WENT TO HIS GRAVE THINKING SHE LOVED HIM, THIS IS INCREDIBLE

Think he'll ever snap out of it?

Let him be, love. I'm sure it's how he always wanted to go.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 22, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think you missed something :ssh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think you missed something :ssh:

:mad:

In the game or the update? I assume the former, except I clicked on every goddamn thing on that floor. I'll go back and check if that's what happened, then edit it into the update and NO ONE WILL REMEMBER IT WASN'T THERE, YOU HEAR ME, NO ONE

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

:mad:

In the game or the update? I assume the former, except I clicked on every goddamn thing on that floor. I'll go back and check if that's what happened, then edit it into the update and NO ONE WILL REMEMBER IT WASN'T THERE, YOU HEAR ME, NO ONE

The back-and-forth story of the love-crossed guards actually has a clue. Hint: There's a reason they're guarding an "empty hall."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're right about the floors having personality. The little touches here and there do a lot to make the sloggy fights bearable.

dis astranagant posted:

Got goast, goblin and puppet. Problem being that it looks like I blew all my money on something and can't get them geared up. my sorcerer is also wearing a bunch of wildly obsolete gear with int on it instead of having anything resembling actual defense :psyduck:

Ah neat! Slot in ghost then and give everyone nasty rear end weaknesses and then go to town with Vampire and Sorceror. Which floor are you on in block 9? If you can get to floor 2, you can now open up all the floors of the Reaper's Catacombs. You can loot chests there for weapons to sell and complete the weapon spirit sidequest. Fair warning, enemies on the last floor in that place are rooooough. Like those guys are at least as tough as the Block 10 assholes.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

You're right about the floors having personality. The little touches here and there do a lot to make the sloggy fights bearable.

Ah neat! Slot in ghost then and give everyone nasty rear end weaknesses and then go to town with Vampire and Sorceror. Which floor are you on in block 9? If you can get to floor 2, you can now open up all the floors of the Reaper's Catacombs. You can loot chests there for weapons to sell and complete the weapon spirit sidequest. Fair warning, enemies on the last floor in that place are rooooough. Like those guys are at least as tough as the Block 10 assholes.

From the looks of it maybe I died in block 10 and hadn't saved since the start of block 9 because I'm not seeing the assholes I know I wiped to yet running slash on some generic knight looking motherfuckers instead of the usual samurai.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The back-and-forth story of the love-crossed guards actually has a clue. Hint: There's a reason they're guarding an "empty hall."

>=(

Alright, I'll edit that back in as the Director's Cut or something. Like I said, I swear I clicked on everything but the game gets really sneaky with some of its triggers.

e: Oh for poo poo's sake. The "Search" bubble doesn't appear until you're right up on it.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 22, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
"Level 18 Arcane Blast Level 1"? What kind of oxymoron wrote that spell name? :argh: :psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

"Level 18 Arcane Blast Level 1"? What kind of oxymoron wrote that spell name? :argh: :psyduck:

FIVE YEARS AGO

quote:

Looks like another powerful spell mastered by yours truly. :smug:

You know putting a higher level in front of it doesn't actually make it stronger, right?

Who's the spellcrafter here, you or me

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Are there any other fights on that entire floor, or is it just those two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Derek Barona posted:

Are there any other fights on that entire floor, or is it just those two?

Just those two. Like I said, it's a short level (especially if you miss the secret room :ughh:)---as far as I can, it's entirely a setup for the gag with the diaries. :shobon:

• Locked thread