Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically I am also old enough for that I just didn't play simcity until 4.

Also I did initially think it was literally the same power plant but apparently the one in fallout is based off one in nevada despite being located next to ivanpah in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Of note: TVA's Watts Bar 2 went critical for the first time at 2:16AM.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CommieGIR posted:

Of note: TVA's Watts Bar 2 went critical for the first time at 2:16AM.

"A nuclear plant just went critical? Are we going to die!?!" -general public

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It did take me a moment to realise that just meant "turned on"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Working as intended, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get why the word critical exists but I can't help but feel that for use in the context of nuclear power, a less terrifying euphemism might be useful.

Such as perhaps "cosy".

The reactor has gone cosy.

Before that it was sub-cosy.

If you put more fuel in it will become supercosy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I get why the word critical exists but I can't help but feel that for use in the context of nuclear power, a less terrifying euphemism might be useful.

Such as perhaps "cosy".

Its gone fluffy. Its 'Happy'.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Claverjoe, you are quoting me out of context. I was explaining to someone why solar cell efficiency can increase under solar concentration. You pointing out that the solar cell open-circuit voltage often tends to go with the semi-conductor energy gap is neither here nor there.

The voltage doesn't have to go with energy gap though. Plenty of people have made junk solar cells with high energy gap semi-conductors which have had worse open-circuit voltages than silicon.

Under solar concentration, the photo-generated electron and hole concentration in the cell should be higher than when under 1 sun, and so the quasi-Fermi level splitting (this is Voltage) should be greater than when under 1 sun. This is certainly true at open circuit but it is also true when the cell is at its operating point. This is why the voltage of a solar cell often increases and so the efficiency often increases under solar concentration.

Oh sure, but that difference is minor league, and the necessary cooling for keeping it at that efficiency seriously cuts into the available excess energy. Eh, whatever.

for those interested, there is a neato little interactive widget that you can slide up and down for what is being talked about here, for a standard silicon solar cell:

http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/solar-cell-operation/effect-of-light-intensity

It's pretty drat minor, but yeah, it's there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Such as perhaps "cosy".

It's better to educate than to pander

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have teabagged a subcritical reactor before. I have achieved super criticallity on the same reactor. In neither case have I died or gotten cancer.

Engineers do not pander.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

It's better to educate than to pander

It is faster to pander than to educate.

M_Gargantua posted:

I have teabagged a subcritical reactor before. I have achieved super criticallity on the same reactor. In neither case have I died or gotten cancer.

Engineers do not pander.

Is "reactor" code for "washing machine" and "achieved super criticality" for "had sex"?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 23, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Engineers do not pander.

I would swim in a cooling pool if it wasn't restricted to qualified divers :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

CommieGIR posted:

Its gone fluffy. Its 'Happy'.

Welcome to Orz Unit 2, the Happy Camper Unit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Welcome to Orz Unit 2, the Happy Camper Unit.

Don't get it too happy, however.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Don't get it too happy, however.

Push button to increase happiness. Keep pushing button until laughter erupts.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

America's achieving great strides in transitioning to renewable energy.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/05/16/3778542/grid-70-times-renewables-natural-gas/

Gosh I wonder how much capacity the installed rooftop solar combined has impacted, as apparently that wasn't even counted. Those things generate more electricity than I thought they would, they have to add up to a pretty big number, especially with the scramble to get them installed before tax breaks and utility incentives reduce/go away.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Super Cool Rocking Awesome Man

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just make sure not to hit the prompt fluffiness threshold. Many have died in flufficality accidents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Just make sure not to hit the prompt fluffiness threshold. Many have died in flufficality accidents.

Died of cute.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Reactor's happy!
It's got a chain reaction. Sustained and controlled to boot!
Reactor's happy!
Coolant's flowing merrily in the primary coolant loop!
Steam turbine is spinning up to make more electricity!
Reactor's happy!
To power lights and industry that's what fission means to me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At 0638 EDT on 5/15/2016, a "huh" was declared on Millstone Unit 3 due to a Main Generator stinky fart into the Turbine Building. At 0645 EDT, operators manually put the reactor to bed. All sheets tucked in. All was well and sleepy as expected following putting the reactor to bed. Operators are currently venting the remaining stinky fart from the generator through the normal vent path. All the safety related equipment is awake. The plant is in a normal sleepy bedtime electrical line-up. All Sleepy Bedtime Generators are available.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Trabisnikof posted:

At 0638 EDT on 5/15/2016, a "huh" was declared on Millstone Unit 3 due to a Main Generator stinky fart into the Turbine Building. At 0645 EDT, operators manually put the reactor to bed. All sheets tucked in. All was well and sleepy as expected following putting the reactor to bed. Operators are currently venting the remaining stinky fart from the generator through the normal vent path. All the safety related equipment is awake. The plant is in a normal sleepy bedtime electrical line-up. All Sleepy Bedtime Generators are available.

Trigger warning that! I have nightmares about bedtime turnover still.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
This readout is telling me the reactor wants to Netflix and superchill?!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Claverjoe posted:

It's [solar concentration's effect on cell efficiency] pretty drat minor, but yeah, it's there.

Claverjoe, that widget you linked only goes up to 2x concentration. Real PV concentrator systems quite often go beyond 2x concentration. As I clearly stated in my first post on the subject, the effect of concentration on efficiency is still a logarithmic one, so obviously it can't be super-strong, but I think you are getting deceived by the scale on the slider bar.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 24, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

This readout is telling me the reactor wants to Netflix and superchill?!

Probably slipped you a roofie in your primary cooling loop

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PG&E has come out and said what everyone has known, they will be shutting down Diablo Canyon once the NRC license expires in 2025.

This seemed really likely to happen because of the cost to upgrade the plant to meet modern cooling laws in California.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

PG&E has come out and said what everyone has known, they will be shutting down Diablo Canyon once the NRC license expires in 2025.

This seemed really likely to happen because of the cost to upgrade the plant to meet modern cooling laws in California.

Yay for more fracking.

On the other than, DoE has also said it plans to boost investments in Nuclear in the coming decade.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yay for more fracking.

On the other than, DoE has also said it plans to boost investments in Nuclear in the coming decade.

Actually, natural gas plants in California are getting shut down for the exact same reason too. The ban on once-through cooling hit a lot of those plants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, natural gas plants in California are getting shut down for the exact same reason too. The ban on once-through cooling hit a lot of those plants.

So, are they going back to importing power from the East?

If so, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

So, are they going back to importing power from the East?

If so, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

NV and AZ sell a lot of power to CA but I wouldn't call them "the East". Probably just going to keep adding wind and solar and run peakers when needed.

Moss Landing and SONGS went down in short order and Cal ISO seemed to be able to manage without much impact or need for new plants. The build out rate on renewables looks good for losing Diablo Canyon in 2025 without too much strain. But I would trust a real report over my guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

They just need to get a few more Ivanpahs up and running.

Oh wait...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Oh wait...

That and all that footprint for less than 500 MW.

But its the desert, no ecosystems to affect out there, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

Oh wait...

Cresent Dudes has overnight power production and isn't dead yet. If Cresent Dunes works (still an if!) that design will likely be a turning point in CSP.

CommieGIR posted:

That and all that footprint for less than 500 MW.

But its the desert, no ecosystems to affect out there, right?

I'm pretty sure they did a 3x set aside, so by building Ivanpah meant more desert tortoises got protected than if it hadn't been built.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 21, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Cresent Dudes has overnight power production and isn't dead yet. If Cresent Dunes works (still an if!) that design will likely be a turning point in CSP.

110 MW. That's gonna save the day.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

You realize they can build more than one right? Also I'm phone posting, but I'm pretty sure India has already ordered a larger scale plant.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

NV and AZ sell a lot of power to CA but I wouldn't call them "the East". Probably just going to keep adding wind and solar and run peakers when needed.

Moss Landing and SONGS went down in short order and Cal ISO seemed to be able to manage without much impact or need for new plants. The build out rate on renewables looks good for losing Diablo Canyon in 2025 without too much strain. But I would trust a real report over my guess.

NV got that geothermal and solar going for it. Also NV mostly uses gas plants and imports a lot of electricity as it stands.

CommieGIR posted:

It is putting out electricity though, so that's something.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I listen to a lot of talk radio and 100% of the liberal hosts I listen to and the environmental guests they invite on are opposed to all forms of base load power and think that we can build a magic grid using solar and wind only. Are all of these people just that dumb or are there more serious arguments for the feasibility of doing this? It seems like there's a serious lack of pragmatic and realistic energy plans coming from the left, the message is just nuclear/coal/natural gas is bad and must be shut down now.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 22, 2016

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

I listen to a lot of talk radio and ...
no and

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's not just talk shows though, that's how all of the environmental groups talk about it and prominent politicians like Bernie Sanders and many others. Even Hillary who has more more moderate positions with respect to natural gas and such seems to imply on her website that we can get by with renewables only, other forms of energy are only mentioned in context of reducing their use. It's flat out impossible to continue reducing the use of coal (which we should do and have been doing for a while) without ramping up natural gas and nuclear, I have to believe that many of these guys understand this but they must just not want to talk about it I guess :confused:. Lots of people out there have really unrealistic beliefs about the power grid and power generation and this poo poo sure isn't helping.

I just found this on Hillary's website, keep in mind she has been criticized from the left on energy a lot during the primary.

quote:

Set national goals to have 500 million solar panels installed; generate enough renewable energy to power every home in America; cut energy waste in homes, schools, and hospitals by a third; and reduce American oil consumption by a third.

I mean it's a nice goal and all for decades from now but to propose this as a realistic plan without giving any details of implementation or explaining how we need decades of R&D and hundreds of billions in infrastructure is pretty irresponsible IMO. If you really want to achieve that goal there needs to be more talk about improving our grid and putting more R&D into energy storage technologies, we're farther behind in both of those areas than we are in developing wind and solar projects.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
NIMBY's and crazy anti-nuke greens are a group they don't want to piss off as the Democratic party. Fossil fuel companies also oppose nuclear investment from the other party