Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I think it's a bit hard to limit it to one game but the criteria I'd go by is, what game had something to it that was so influential that modern gaming as we know it wouldn't exist without it?
is 'dungeons and dragons' an acceptable answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

tfw you get a 250 chain in Odin Sphere

Gwendolyn's story, the chapter with General Brigan?

I felt pretty fuckin' proud when I blew past 250 and got a 500 chain

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything Mighty Number Nine set out to do was basically already done by Azure Striker Gunvolt without graphics that look like rotten rear end, so really it was redundant before it even came out.

Play Azure Striker Gunvolt. It's cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

is 'dungeons and dragons' an acceptable answer

I think I'd compare it to video games like plays to movies but there's definitely merit in that yeah

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/annninnmusou/status/737992768170008576

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/eskhky.webm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I think I'd compare it to video games like plays to movies but there's definitely merit in that yeah
in that case ill change my answer to Akalabeth: World of Doom and maybe also wizardry

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the disadvantages of kaiji nose in a fight

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that shadow makes it look like that guy has a really huge bush

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Srice posted:

I think it's a bit hard to limit it to one game but the criteria I'd go by is, what game had something to it that was so influential that modern gaming as we know it wouldn't exist without it?

Super Mario 64 and Ocarina Of Time are both strong contenders. Two of the first games to figure out how the gently caress to design levels, control schemes, and camera setups in 3D space, and extremely well designed games in their own right to boot. Just look how many 3rd person action games still use Z-targeting basically verbatim decades after Ocarina of Time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Everything Mighty Number Nine set out to do was basically already done by Azure Striker Gunvolt without graphics that look like rotten rear end, so really it was redundant before it even came out.

Play Azure Striker Gunvolt. It's cool.

inti rocks so i probably will some day

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

El Burbo posted:

i just remembered that people here once tried to make an E/N fighting game

there was even a protoype made but i cant find it anymore

It was in the comics thread iirc

edit: buried in here somewhere I think: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499406&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 22, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

inti rocks so i probably will some day

To be fair, Gunvolt is more Zero than Classic Megaman, so in all seriousness MN9 would have had a decent niche if it had been better. It just...wasn't.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

El Burbo posted:

i just remembered that people here once tried to make an E/N fighting game

there was even a protoype made but i cant find it anymore

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Mighty Number 9 would have been better if it was more like Crackle Cradle and was full of violent, gory deaths.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

why the long face lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Command Ant posted:

Mighty Number 9 would have been better if it was more like Crackle Cradle and was full of violent, gory deaths.

what the gently caress

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

littleorv posted:

Give me some epic Odin Sphere advice

I don't know if things have changed for the remake, but you can use the Phozon Release spell both to grow Napple seeds you've planted, and also to boost your EXP by reabsorbing all of the phozons, which in addition to gaining you EXP gives you most of the MP you just spent back, allowing you to use the spell again, etc.

Some enemies have very high physical defense, so know what attacks have elemental properties.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

what the gently caress

that guy is a freaking weirdo who needs to be permabanned asap

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

what is "crackle cradle"

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

El Burbo posted:

what is "crackle cradle"

It's a side-scrolling action platformer game that is full of violent, gory deaths.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

El Burbo posted:

what is "crackle cradle"

based on google, probably one of those dumb games with guro death animations

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Source
TL'd with permission by

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 22, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not really a fan of gory hyperviolence or brutality, personally.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

in that case ill change my answer to Akalabeth: World of Doom and maybe also wizardry

id say adventure games before anyhting

inventory and dialogue and exploration and map systems all come from adventure games

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

but also adventure games are so ancient and were so widespread and coinfluential that i couldnt pick one to deign as THE adventure game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

I'm not really a fan of gory hyperviolence or brutality, personally.

I like when its riki-oh or kenshiro punching out a bad guy's brains off his head or ripping off his face or pulling his spine off and insane poo poo like that and not little girls getting maimed horribly

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

zork?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im over gory stuff or anything that can be classified as edgy. i don't care anymore. get it out of my sight

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
is this the happy wheels of anime

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

im over gory stuff or anything that can be classified as edgy. i don't care anymore. get it out of my sight

all the 4chan groups rushing to translate the edgy dungeon world comics lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KOUME!!!!!

HELL YEAH!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I like when its riki-oh or kenshiro punching out a bad guy's brains off his head or ripping off his face or pulling his spine off and insane poo poo like that and not little girls getting maimed horribly

Sexism.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, GUTEN MORNING AND TIP OF THE HAT TO Y'ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

all the 4chan groups rushing to translate the edgy dungeon world comics lol

theres been like 5 like that uploaded the last week and its making me sad

• Locked thread