Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In my experience the goon thing is more "let's pick a team of Mei, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Junkrat, Reinhardt, and Mercy and then wonder why we can't do any damage / why the enemy has three Pharahs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I wrong in thinking Zen's achievements are way harder than everyone elses? Getting 1500 heal in a single transcendence seems kind of absurd.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When Zenyatta says "Gays, into the iris" everyone wants to assert their aggressive heterosexuality by avoiding transendence like it might give them HIV.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 22, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Is there a reason that I could set my m4 as my melee in the menu options but when actually in game I can't melee by hitting m4? This happened after today's patch.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Wait 76 can rocket jump??

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah he can. Not very far but he can.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

JackDarko posted:

Is there a reason that I could set my m4 as my melee in the menu options but when actually in game I can't melee by hitting m4? This happened after today's patch.

Do you have different per hero settings? Punch on m4 is working for me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Darth Windu posted:

It sucks

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Zen's achievements are way harder than everyone elses? Getting 1500 heal in a single transcendence seems kind of absurd.

The discord one is easily the hardest in game. That or destroying 3 teleporters

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How exactly does Mercy's ult work? Like, sometimes it's charged and a teammate dies but I can't res them, or the res counter disappears fast. Is it a range thing? LOS thing?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's a fairy short range, but not limited by LoS.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

How exactly does Mercy's ult work? Like, sometimes it's charged and a teammate dies but I can't res them, or the res counter disappears fast. Is it a range thing? LOS thing?

LOS isn't an issue, but range is.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Am I crazy or does Winston's ult suck? Because I feel like I'm punching rubber people and no one ever dies.

Do I suck?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MonsterWalk posted:

Am I crazy or does Winston's ult suck? Because I feel like I'm punching rubber people and no one ever dies.

Do I suck?

instead of 30 melee damage you do 40

so stop tryna kill people with it and use it to bait from 10-40 hp use it to rocket to 1000 and just be an annoying prick who smacks and disorients people for your team

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house was another riot. More folks need to give it a look. Thanks to those new folks who showed up and the stream viewers!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MonsterWalk posted:

Do I suck?

Your suckage isn't really an issue here, his ult is more about disruption than killing dudes, which is winston's entire character trait. Use it to knock people off points or into pits and also as a second health bar that's twice your normal health bar.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I always thought that Junkrat's death grenades were more of a gag than anything but apparently not!

Behold my incredibly high level of play that earned me a POTG

https://a.pomf.cat/fsdaxn.webm

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Get them alone in a tiny room and have a friendly Mei block off the only exit

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah i think his ult is more about the 1000hp heal you get rather than what it can do. If you stayed Winston when you did it it would be so broken. When you have it play more aggressively because at a moments notice you can flip out, knock people around and jump heaps so when you turn back into Winston you have full health and can jump away or chuck your barrier down and shred your enemies.

Keep in mind when you ult it resets your jump pack cooldown, and when your ult runs out the same happens. This means if you time it well you can jump into the air, ult, jump down onto the point. Or, jump into the air as your ult finishes and jump pack to safety.

Also, Winstons bubble will prevent Lucio's sound barrier from hitting his team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah just treat it like him being able to sling fuckers off the point/out of position. I'm more of a fan of Roadhog's ult for that purpose but Whole Hog doesn't turn Roadhog into an unlockable hulk like Primal Rage does to Winston.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Your suckage isn't really an issue here, his ult is more about disruption than killing dudes, which is winston's entire character trait. Use it to knock people off points or into pits and also as a second health bar that's twice your normal health bar.

Oooooh. I've only reached the point of being unable to play with Gen. Pop. I'll hook up with some goons soon.

PSN: arobotmadeofham

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Random thought experiment; for the characters who don't currently have a weapon or ability keyed to Mouse 2/Left Trigger/L2(under default controls), what would you give them?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Winston and Roadrat have ults to disrupt positioning and move people off of points/payloads; Reinhardt has an up close stun after pushing, and to combo with his pin to move people off of points/payloads; Zarya has an ult that can wipe a team if used in conjunction with her team/another ult, and can also move people off of points/payloads; and D. Va has an ult that kills no one past the first week after release but pushes everyone off of points/payloads.

Don't think of many ults as ways to get kills, think of them as ways to help you with the objective, this stands for defense heroes too such as Hanzo's dragon ult that everyone is watching out for now, and Junkhog's ult that is incredibly loud and serves to give the other team PTSD as they run for cover.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nothing, I need LT for remapping purposes

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
No goons were around so decided to hit up a few quick matches. Overall fairly decent. Although I ran in to a guy who kept saying "Wow can't believe we did that 5v6!" because I was playing 76 on Numbani. We lost, which I think started the whole thing.

Ilios was next. Won lighthouse as Junkrat. During the pit round I switched to 76. We immediately stormed and held the pit. Came back from 0%-~90% to win it. Yeah, playing as 76 with 30 elims with 20 objective kills really held us back. We totally got poo poo again on by winning. What a weird dude. Honestly, that's as bad as I normally see out there, so I can't complain at all.

I need to add some goons that stay up to 11-12 PM CST.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 22, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think D.Va's ult is best used to cover your escape while you call down a new mech. Reinhart's ult is useful to disable a few enemies while you use your hammer to kill them.

I feel like Zarya's ult is pretty flexible. It's useful to set up Wombo Combo's with teammates for sure but if I have ~50 charge and my personal barrier is on cooldown use it to gather a few people together and then kill them with right click. They won't be able to damage race you when you can land those right clicks directly onto their bodies. Lastly, Gravitron Surge is useful for pulling people off the cart/point while you cap the last part.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just hit 100 wins in 175 games exactly!

Every game of the next 5 I was put in to I played less than 30 seconds each, as I was put in to severely losing games exclusively. Matchmaking is really getting to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Random thought experiment; for the characters who don't currently have a weapon or ability keyed to Mouse 2/Left Trigger/L2(under default controls), what would you give them?

I would give Winston the Tesla Rifle alt-fire from the Medium class in Dystopia.

e: This thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXqXY0HlI2c

He already has a (crappier) version of the main fire, and the leashed orb is one of the coolest weapon modes I've ever seen in an FPS.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Internet Kraken posted:

It's easy enough on payload maps. Just use your ult to counter a Pharah or Reaper ult and you should get it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would give Winston the Tesla Rifle alt-fire from the Medium class in Dystopia.

He already has a (crappier) version of the main fire, and the leashed orb is one of the coolest weapon modes I've ever seen in an FPS.

Man I miss custom hit sounds

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Supercar Gautier posted:

So Blizzard are taking out the "Avoid This Player" feature because whiny babies were using it on skilled opponents, instead of using it on jerks.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

I really wish they'd decided to tweak it instead of throwing it out altogether. For example, what if it only affected your own team? That way, you could still decide "I never want this rear end in a top hat as my teammate", but you couldn't go "this player's too good and I don't want to fight them".
L4D2 developed a big problem with the same mechanic where people were blocking 'bad' teammates, not even abusing the mechanic to avoid good players. At some point group matchmaking became impossible because someone would always have someone else blocked.

The way blocking worked in matchmaking, the blocked players could never join a game or lobby that the blocker was in. Now imagine everyone has a handful of players in their region blocked, some ragemasters with crazy amounts blocked because anyone that makes a mistake is getting blocked by them. You can see the emerging issue here is much more than some guys blocking a bunch of dudes now have to wait longer for a game. The closer the game gets to full it becomes increasingly difficult to find the last slots. Everyone suffers.

If "avoid this player" only lasted for 48 hours I think that would solve a lot of issues.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Countblanc posted:

Man I miss custom hit sounds

I miss Dystopia, that was a cool mod :(

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't see any wiggle walking at all in that video, are you sure it's Dystopia?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Only thing I have to say is gently caress overtime.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is it just me or are the indicators for 'you're taking damage' really lacking in this game? Like, I'll frequently have an experience of fighting someone and suddenly die when I thought I had plenty of HP, and it turns out a Reaper or a Pharah was perforating my backside for the last 5 seconds. In a ridiculously large number of hours spent playing multiplayer FPS games over the years, I've never really had this problem. Because they all had big obvious directional damage indicators and clear noises to indicate that you were being hit, along with HP bars that really lit up to show how much HP you had left versus what you'd lost.

The tiny healthbar tucked in the corner just isn't visually distinct enough (and can even get lost on bright scenery), the red flashes on said bar when taking damage fade so quickly that you can blink and miss them, the positional lines around the crosshair are too tiny to be useful, and they don't expand enough to show the difference between a D.va ineffectually peppering you from the other side of the map versus a Tracer on your rear end slicing off half your HP.

And the audio cues are strangely poor. Maybe there's just too much audio clutter in general, but I can never pick out a Reaper clomping up to me in his goth boots until I'm dead and watching the replay. It's just weird that although they did put in something as useful as teammates automatically calling out 'behind you' when you're getting hit, they didn't bother to put in normal damage cues that have been in games forever.

It's probably a 'git gud' thing, but every time I die without even realizing I was taking hits I always decide that this next life I'm really going to bear down and pay attention to everything around me and notice where damage is coming from. But no matter how much I focus, it always happens again. Like, if there are any pro tips outside of just constantly spinning in circles, I'm all ears.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If nothing else there should definitely be an option to have your health bar centered below your crosshair

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it just me or are the indicators for 'you're taking damage' really lacking in this game? Like, I'll frequently have an experience of fighting someone and suddenly die when I thought I had plenty of HP, and it turns out a Reaper or a Pharah was perforating my backside for the last 5 seconds. In a ridiculously large number of hours spent playing multiplayer FPS games over the years, I've never really had this problem. Because they all had big obvious directional damage indicators and clear noises to indicate that you were being hit, along with HP bars that really lit up to show how much HP you had left versus what you'd lost.

The tiny healthbar tucked in the corner just isn't visually distinct enough (and can even get lost on bright scenery), the red flashes on said bar when taking damage fade so quickly that you can blink and miss them, the positional lines around the crosshair are too tiny to be useful, and they don't expand enough to show the difference between a D.va ineffectually peppering you from the other side of the map versus a Tracer on your rear end slicing off half your HP.

And the audio cues are strangely poor. Maybe there's just too much audio clutter in general, but I can never pick out a Reaper clomping up to me in his goth boots until I'm dead and watching the replay. It's just weird that although they did put in something as useful as teammates automatically calling out 'behind you' when you're getting hit, they didn't bother to put in normal damage cues that have been in games forever.

It's probably a 'git gud' thing, but every time I die without even realizing I was taking hits I always decide that this next life I'm really going to bear down and pay attention to everything around me and notice where damage is coming from. But no matter how much I focus, it always happens again. Like, if there are any pro tips outside of just constantly spinning in circles, I'm all ears.

Is this a troll post? This has to be a troll post. It's like a 7 layer dip where each layer is a different adaptation of the first 15 minutes of The Miracle Worker but they're all featuring Helen as a bad Overwatch player.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dystopia was so friggin amazing and I hope some company eventually does a sequel or spiritual sequel to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Brannock posted:

Dystopia was so friggin amazing and I hope some company eventually does a sequel or spiritual sequel to it.

I wish more games did the damage-reactive hit notifications because it was so loving satisfying to nail some fucker in the face with a bolt at long enough range to be looking elsewhere by the time it hits and get a hefty *BLOOP* as a hit notification.

Same thing with knocking a heavy off a ledge, loving foghorn noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it just me or are the indicators for 'you're taking damage' really lacking in this game?

You start to just develop a sense about how long you can be under fire before you need to use your escape skills, but I agree that the health bar could be much more useful.