Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a fun little story about Batman and his buddies fighting some sweet monsters. It'll be over in a month. I don't know why people are acting so salty about this. The monsters look rad, nobody's pushing this as some big world-changing event, it's just a cool little story for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
A quick and fun little fill-in event from a great creative team >>>>> Months of fill-in artists as editorial desperately tries to stay on track.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

But see he can encourage her to get out of her shell and navigate public spaces via his magic therapy inducing dick and-oh wow would you look at that I'm bleeding from my eyes. Huh.

A magic therapy dick would actually be within a Green Lantern's powerset.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aphrodite posted:

A magic therapy dick would actually be within a Green Lantern's powerset.

Sounds more like a violet or indigo thing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

JoshTheStampede posted:

Sounds more like a violet or indigo thing.

yes here is my pitch for an erotic indigo tribe parody where instead of "nok" they say "cock"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Travis343 posted:

It's a fun little story about Batman and his buddies fighting some sweet monsters. It'll be over in a month. I don't know why people are acting so salty about this. The monsters look rad, nobody's pushing this as some big world-changing event, it's just a cool little story for Halloween.

News flash. Comic fans find everything upsetting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Everyone wants to not have to read crossovers, but also wants all their books to be important to the universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm going to be reading Batman, Detective, and Nightwing anyway, might as well enjoy the ride.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I know Prez is on hiatus, but are the six issues that exist a full arc or should I wait for it to be done/back before reading it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm only reading Batman and have zero interest in Detective, and little in Nightwing, so I'm just gonna skip those issues I guess!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I know Prez is on hiatus, but are the six issues that exist a full arc or should I wait for it to be done/back before reading it?
It's a full arc, though there's obviously tons more story they want to tell.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I'm only reading Batman and have zero interest in Detective, and little in Nightwing, so I'm just gonna skip those issues I guess!

Sounds like a plan!

I skipped almost all the n52 crossovers and was fine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'll be sad when Alfred marries Queen Slug-For-A-Butt and you've missed the vital backstory.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

You'll be sad when Alfred marries Queen Slug-For-A-Butt and you've missed the vital backstory.

Alfred will clearly marry Silk Spectre 1.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Alfred will clearly marry Silk Spectre 1.

I laughed at this... then I cringed because I realized that could be a thing now

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Detective has been good so far and Nightwing/Grayson has been one of the better DC titles.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's definitely a full arc. DC's trades are designed so that arcs should be on average only six issues long. How much that will change for the bi-monthly books is to be seen. I hope it comes back soon, because wow will it have a plethora of new material.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Still not too into the new Wonder Woman after #1. Pretty drab and dreary in art and story. I'll still keep at it cause Nicola Scott's arc starts next.
Also, maybe I just haven't read a good Cheetah story, but I'm never looking forward to seeing her.
e: Steve's grinning Diana mugshot has me more excited about the Year One arc (Guessing it's foreshadowing what we'll see.).

For Flash, I liked the end with him saving folks and the way someone entering the Speed Force was depicted, but the dialogue is all strangely stilted and explanatory.

Bummers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 22, 2016

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I honestly really enjoyed Aquaman, Flash was ok but god Wonder Woman was stupidly decompressed. Steve's part of the story was interesting but Wonder Woman was just saying the same poo poo over and over again just to drag out the reveal for the end of the issue. That kind of thing might slightly be ok in a double shipped title but the next issue is Year One so there's really no good reason to be decompressing The Lies storyline this much.

I liked the art though Nicola Scott's is looking like it'll be way better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh, hey, Yanick Paquette JL#1 variant cover!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Not a good week at all.

I'm on the verge of dropping Action Comics. Superman Rebirth is the infinitely superior title, and Action is a dumb convoluted mess of a storyline. The clone Clark thing is stupid and the removal of total rear end in a top hat Superman from Action 957, although it makes for a less actively unpleasant story, got replaced with so much nonsense it's just a confusing clusterfuck instead.

Action just isn't enjoyable at all and unless it improves, and soon, I'm gonna stop following it.

I actually enjoy the decompressed pacing of Wonder Woman Rebirth so far, and I really like the art, it's just that's it's a distinctive step down from its fantastic first issue and feels really unfocused. I'm onboard but was distinctly unimpressed with this issue.

Detective Comics came the closest to pure quality but felt like it didn't exactly cohere into a complete story so much as the beginning to a bunch of different ones. The Steph/Tim conversation was the highlight of the issue but beyond that it felt like it was tugging in a bunch of different directions at once. Also I thought the whole premise of the story is that we're watching a bunch of Batman sidekicks forming a superteam, not Batman doing Batman poo poo. Unless the idea is Batman gets kidnapped and we then see the superteam going in and break him out, thus removing Batman from the story for a good four issues at least, I really hope this isn't a sign that this story becomes Batman-focused.

On the other hand after a bunch of positive recommendations I picked up Titans Rebirth from last week and man, that was a good first issue. Looking forward to that.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 22, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This wasn't a bad week for the books I picked up. Two good books and a bit of a stinker for the last.

Detective comics had some good looking art and I like the way the plot is advancing. The character interactions are great. Well, except Batwoman. I'm not feeling her at all. The Tim and Steph interaction was the highlight of the book and I want that to continue. It is interesting to see Tim become better than Bruce by not allowing the Red Robin identity rule him. It really adds to the dynamic of the 4 robins and continues to differentiate them. If I had a complaint it was that there was too much Batman. This book is better when it is the "sidekicks" becoming a team or interacting.

Action Comics looked good and is an interesting story. Their are a ton of story beats and mysteries in the air here and I'm interested to see where they all go. I am also really digging the oneupmanship of the Lex/Supes relationship during the fight. It really is a different dynamic to the usual hate filled rivalry. I want to see it continue with Lex staying a braggadocio hero for a while.

The Flash was a bit of a turd. I'm not enjoying the artwork in the book, but I can usually overlook this if the story is good. This story was cookie cutter Flash ending with a typical cliff hanger of someone else getting super speed. Boy need to add another new character. The story wasn't helped by the dialog between the characters. It felt off. So far I'm not much into The Flash book. We will see what July brings, but so far it is sitting next to Batman for books that maybe dropped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aquaman was dreadful and I won't be giving it another issue.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yeah. It's the only rebirth book I actively dislike.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Wonder Woman was fine and I love the reintegration of her supporting cast, but yeah I got to the end of the issue and was like "Oh. Wait, are we at the end?" The Cheetah reveal really should've come, like, in the middle or at least 3/4ths of the way into the book.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I though this week was pretty ok.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Dan Abnett does it again!

Action, Detective, and Flash were good I thought. I have no idea what the hell Rucka is doing with Wonder Woman. That's been the disappointment of the entire line for me so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This week's Harley Quinn issue was really loving terrible as well. I could barely understand what was going on, is it always this ugly?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A Harley Quinn DC comic being bad? Huh. Tell me more about this extremely unusual development, Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

A Harley Quinn DC comic being bad? Huh. Tell me more about this extremely unusual development, Rhyno.

I never read it! I just needed something to flip through on my lunch break and we had a damaged copy so I went with it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah, bad week for DC. I freely admit I'm a weirdo who will just never like a Flash story, but Action Comics was a Giant Enemy Crab fight that wasn't particularly well done, Detective Comics was > 50% Bruce or people talking to eachother about Bruce, Wonder Woman just kinda happened and Teen Titans was, well, Teen Titans. Robin Son of Batman was good at least.

Also I didn't pull Aquaman #1 this week, but it sounds like it has more "Lol, Aquaman loving sucks," stuff? If so I'm very comfortable leaving it off my pull list.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, bad week for DC. I freely admit I'm a weirdo who will just never like a Flash story, but Action Comics was a Giant Enemy Crab fight that wasn't particularly well done, Detective Comics was > 50% Bruce or people talking to eachother about Bruce, Wonder Woman just kinda happened and Teen Titans was, well, Teen Titans. Robin Son of Batman was good at least.

Also I didn't pull Aquaman #1 this week, but it sounds like it has more "Lol, Aquaman loving sucks," stuff? If so I'm very comfortable leaving it off my pull list.

I don't remember seeing any in this issue. The only thing I can think of that even comes close is a daily planet reporter saying their food is gross and making his way to he bathroom to throw up, but he isn't what he seems.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

greatn posted:

I don't remember seeing any in this issue. The only thing I can think of that even comes close is a daily planet reporter saying their food is gross and making his way to he bathroom to throw up, but he isn't what he seems.

Ah, maybe I was misreading reactions to the rebirth issue as reactions to this one. I'll check it out later then but my confidence in Dan Abnett redeeming DC this week is low.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/status/745714554504568832

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahahah holy gently caress watch this it's so goddamned horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Why would you do this to me.

Why would you do this to yourself

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Why would you do this to me.

Why would you do this to yourself

It's so amazing in how terrible it is.

Teenage Fansub edit out the OP and replace it with this link.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I made it to Harley opening her loving Cesar Romero-style stubbly facepainted mouth before I loving had to close the tab, uninstall my browser and cancel my internet subscription

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm skimming the video with the sound off and this looks like "All The Reasons To Not Do Fan Films.avi"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I'm skimming the video with the sound off and this looks like "All The Reasons To Not Do Fan Films.avi"

Turn the sound on.

Do it.

DO. IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Harley Quinn is something loving else, man.