Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

I'm interested to know what you felt about removing traction control at the time, wicka.

i honestly didn't care either way. from a cost perspective it was fine to get rid of it but i didn't think it would result in noticeable more entertaining racing. felipe massa, a man who was noted for hilariously spinning out all the time, had the best season of his life in the first season without traction control. go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I disagree the starts are more interesting. The scuds go well the mercs go badly and everyone else in between. It's now predictable.

Which makes me wonder why the mercs are so poo poo off the line? Engine settings clutch settings and all that should be sorted by now surely?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No. It increased the difficulty. Procedure got simpler, but the driver had to do the work.

on 2015 steering wheels there is a single button that finds the bite point. now drivers have one clutch lever that they have to hold perfectly steady at the right spot or else they blow the launch. explain how pressing a button is more complex.

thegasman2000 posted:

I disagree the starts are more interesting. The scuds go well the mercs go badly and everyone else in between. It's now predictable.

Which makes me wonder why the mercs are so poo poo off the line? Engine settings clutch settings and all that should be sorted by now surely?

they WERE more interesting. but the best drivers in the world figured it out after like three rounds and now it's nothing.

i would guess the merc's engine settings sacrifice launch speed in favor of having more boost available over the entire lap.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

thegasman2000 posted:

It because their drivers are poo poo.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

MustardFacial posted:

It because their drivers are poo poo.

Well they have a quick racer and an autistic factory puppet. One of them would have figured it out by now! They have the most polar extremes in drivers and still race after race poo poo starts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

on 2015 steering wheels there is a single button that finds the bite point. now drivers have one clutch lever that they have to hold perfectly steady at the right spot or else they blow the launch. explain how pressing a button is more complex.

they WERE more interesting. but the best drivers in the world figured it out after like three rounds and now it's nothing.

They still had to use the clutch lever. It just got harder to use. Also they use to have two clutch levers. One for the initial get away and then one to fully release the clutch, if I recall correctly.

Complexity is definitely reduced.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

thegasman2000 posted:

Well they have a quick racer and an autistic factory puppet. One of them would have figured it out by now! They have the most polar extremes in drivers and still race after race poo poo starts.

One of them refuses to do any practice, and the other cracks under pressure faster than toilet paper in a urinal. I'm not surprised neither of them can figure it out.

Listening to Lewis try to figure out his computer sounds like my dad trying to write an email.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
They should've just stopped broadcasting the radio calls where there team told the drivers what do to do, since this is all an issue of how the fans percieve the abilities of the drivers.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They should be allowed to get help with something equal to the number of times they lavishly praise whatever dictatorship they happen to be driving through that week on the radio.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Xisticide posted:

They should've just stopped broadcasting the radio calls where there team told the drivers what do to do, since this is all an issue of how the fans percieve the abilities of the drivers.

Naw. Telling drivers where to lift and how to brake is bullshit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Xisticide posted:

Bernie. The answer to that one Bernie. The FOM broadcast that because Bernie thinks that real men should drive without any help at all from the pit wall. In his head they should also use a manual gearbox round Monaco, and shouldn't complain about tracks surrounded by castle walls with no run-off areas.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

i honestly didn't care either way. from a cost perspective it was fine to get rid of it but i didn't think it would result in noticeable more entertaining racing. felipe massa, a man who was noted for hilariously spinning out all the time, had the best season of his life in the first season without traction control. go figure.

If F1 wanted to push Road car relevance it would make sense to have TCS (and ABS too). Hell, if your only goal is faster lap times traction control is the best way to do that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I must say the most entertainment I got from Baku was the drivers not knowing how to use the functions on their steering wheels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This argument sucks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

This argument sucks.

Welcome to F1!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

I must say the most entertainment I got from Baku was the drivers not knowing how to use the functions on their steering wheels.

I don't even know what all the buttons are for on my car's steering wheel. Can I have an F1 drive now?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

Welcome to F1 The Worst Thread!

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I enjoy the tantrums F1 provides and the sport would be tedious without them. Anything that can generate more butt hurt teams or drivers should be encouraged, keep the convoluted radio ban IMHO

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I will say as a person who's daily drives a 1984 Volkswagen Scirocco because "everything is mechanical and simple" I'm slightly bias, but I honestly think there should be relatively little driver aids in Motorsports even if it means significantly slower lap times.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i have like four cameras on my car

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

I will say as a person who's daily drives a 1984 Volkswagen Scirocco because "everything is mechanical and simple" I'm slightly bias, but I honestly think there should be relatively little driver aids in Motorsports even if it means significantly slower lap times.

You should probably stop watching a motorsport series that prides itself on being the bleeding edge of technology* then. There are plenty of spec series you would enjoy. I also believe NASCAR is a fully mechanical series**.

*Regardless of how true that is
** They may use electronic ignition. I think I heard that somewhere.

[edit] Having said that I drive a base model, everything mechanical, manual chevy cobalt. But I mean I don't think my decision of a boring driving appliance has anything to do with how I feel about race cars. I've done the RX-7 and Turbo GTI thing already.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 22, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
WEC does more for road car development with a much smaller budget than F1

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

El Hefe posted:

Agreed. That's why I added the asterisk.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If F1 is about being the pinnacle of technology then it needs to unban everything they've ever banned and see what sticks. Active Suspension Ground Effects Cars with Double Blown Rear Diffusers, Tuned Mass Dampers and Traction Control would be awesome.

but it isn't about technology. It's about the great Greek tragedy of Alonso's career

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
https://twitter.com/RatedREmerald/status/745327173003804673

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Speaking of tragedy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Why.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Clearly he's mentally damaged to have Nico Rosberg on him forever or until he saves up for removal surgery.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LOL the world is full of so much hilarious poo poo! That dude is a gift to humanity

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is the exact type of person I'm terrified of running into karting and also the reason that I've largely severed from the local car community. Thank Ayrton Senna's dead gay ghost everyone I've run into karting has been pretty level headed and cool.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Enthusiasts are the worst.

[edit] This is coming from a man who made video games for 5 years. Really loving nerdy ones. Keep a level head folks, it makes you a lot more pleasant to deal with.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Don't know about that. WEC commentators on the LeMans 24h said that the major manufacturers had each pumped 300 million into development for the current generation of cars with one spending closer to 400 million (not sure if that was dollars, euro or pounds but either way it's a loving lot).

Granted LMP2 and below are way cheaper.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm trying to forget the end of that LMP1 race guys. Stop talking about WEC :suicide:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spergs are win.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Carth Dookie posted:

Don't know about that. WEC commentators on the LeMans 24h said that the major manufacturers had each pumped 300 million into development for the current generation of cars with one spending closer to 400 million (not sure if that was dollars, euro or pounds but either way it's a loving lot).

Granted LMP2 and below are way cheaper.

Honda spent over a billion and that's just for their piece of poo poo engine

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

El Hefe posted:

Honda spent over a billion and that's just for their piece of poo poo engine

Reminder that Ron has not paid a single penny towards this, and that Honda are probably paying him for the privilege of being associated with McLaren . :allears:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

El Hefe posted:

Reminder that Lewis Hamilton lost a championship because he fiddled with the wrong knob.

also his relationship with nicole. booya gayjokes

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Carth Dookie posted:

Before 2016, LMP1 budgets were said to be, in millions:

Audi: 242
Porsche: 200+
Toyota: 80

Audi had to cut budget, Toyota increased.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Does Martin Brundle still complain about when they stopped using gearsticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fumble posted:

Does Martin Brundle still complain about when they stopped using gearsticks?

He's right.

• Locked thread