Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

My wife and I have really been enjoying the LotR core set the past few weeks. Thanks to a glorious ebay purchase I just got the following:

1x Core (have 2 total now)
Shadow of Mirkwood cycle
Khazad
Drawrrowdelf cycle
The Hobbit Over & Under
The Hobbit On the Doorstep
Murder at the Prancing Pony AP

Holy poo poo that's a lot of cards. I'm kinda lost on where to start deckbuilding now. We mostly play 2 player, what two spheres should I typically stick to for each deck for good synergies? I assume basic things like Spirit and Tactics for combat and healing, but are Lore and Leadership a good combo as well to balance out our card pool for deck building?

Also, how feasible is it to build a solo deck as opposed to playing two handed for most quests?

Synergies are based more around traits than colours. Generally speaking no colour pairing is particularly better than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Valar Morghulis comes:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/17/there-is-my-claim/

Edit: Also has anyone played a game of Conquest with Deep Strike yet? I'm curious how well it works/doesn't, although I imagine you'd need more cards with the mechanic to really make it worthwhile. Also, new synapse unit for nids!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 17, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Valar! King Stannis (Probably)! The Faceless Man.
They feel pretty far away though.
Valar's pretty cool though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Valar's not going to hit until at least Q4, so there's plenty of time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh gently caress yeah. Valar is the jam.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I didn't play much V1 but didn't Valar dominance necessitate the weeny decks that 2nd edition seems so against?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Chaotic Flame posted:

I didn't play much V1 but didn't Valar dominance necessitate the weeny decks that 2nd edition seems so against?

Yes but the game was different in several ways back then. Saves weren't as numerous or unstoppable, and they seem to be pushing the big bomb chars more. Also reserve wasn't a thing. 5 res on a 2/0/0 wipe is kinda rough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Chaotic Flame posted:

At this point I don't see Valar really having much of a difference on board state than Wildfire. in that regard. Any characters with duplicates are going to be saved and you're going to mostly be wiping the board of weenies and maybe a 4/5 cost guy at best. However in doing so you're not going to be getting initiative and have no gold to bring out someone big of your own. With Valar the only time you're really going to drop it is when they have a couple major characters on the board that they can't save and you don't. Like it might be worth a 1st turn play to hit someone's 7 cost guy before they can toss a dupe on them if you were able to get a dupe in your opening hand, but there's getting to be more and more cards that save so Valar just seems like a huge risk with little upside in most cases.

Weenie decks are still going to be avoided due to First Snow being a dominant card so I'm not sure where Valar is going to fit in unless we see some hard anti-save meta come along.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Valar is going to be better and better as more unique characters come out and you aren't just playing 3x stuff by default. If it was printed and in our hands today it wouldn't be that great, just another thing to plan for.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The first quest of The Black Riders is weird. Tried it with two decks and the one that made a big noisy mess of the Shire (standard Silvan plus Elladan handing out Rivendell Blades) found it so much easier than the quiet, low threat Glorfindel & Elrohir deck.

Hide checks make player threat almost irrelevant, and staging threat builds really quickly, so bringing the thunder and throwing away Mr. Underhill immediately to kill a Nazgul seems the best course of action.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Second quest and this Silvan deck seems made for it. Galadriel makes Bill Ferny harmless.

The Witch King doesn't even get the satisfaction of killing an elf as Orophin brings her back at the start of the next turn. Two Rivendell Blades in his back won't have cheered him up, either.

On to the ford.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well. Found out I suck at Game of Thrones. I do okay locally but went to regionals and am in process of getting destroyed 0-3 with one more game to go which I'm pretty sure will be another loss.

Not going to bother in the future. Local gonna be good enough for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Out of curiosity what deck are you playing?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bottom Liner posted:

Out of curiosity what deck are you playing?

Played a Stark Fealty. Even lost against another Stark, so I know it was a combination of my deck sucking and me being bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anywhere to get a LotR play mat without resorting to custom or ebay prices for old OP kit mats that are used? As far as I can tell FFG never made any for retail.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bottom Liner posted:

Anywhere to get a LotR play mat without resorting to custom or ebay prices for old OP kit mats that are used? As far as I can tell FFG never made any for retail.

I have last years fellowship event mat and a custom one :/ That said if you keep tabs on the custom sites and wait for a sale (they happen a couple of times a year) you can get a pretty solid deal on one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Now that stores are running out of Khazad Dum, Amazon are sending out Spanish language copies.

Also their couriers leave stuff outside in the rain and claim to have "handed to resident".

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: Also has anyone played a game of Conquest with Deep Strike yet? I'm curious how well it works/doesn't, although I imagine you'd need more cards with the mechanic to really make it worthwhile. Also, new synapse unit for nids!

The new Chaos deep strike stuff is good. The bluff element isn't fully there yet, but cards like this are just straightforwardly good, bluff or no bluff:

A friend of mine is playing No Surprises in his Worr deck already, since Ku'gath with Prince's Might completely wrecks his game plan. I think Deep Strike will only get better as the cycle goes on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wish Deep Striking came with feint tokens or something, so there was at least always an element of bluffing. Even if most factions only have a strikable card or two, the bluff tokens would let you fake people out about when they're coming out.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

The Bee posted:

I wish Deep Striking came with feint tokens or something, so there was at least always an element of bluffing. Even if most factions only have a strikable card or two, the bluff tokens would let you fake people out about when they're coming out.

I haven't seen the rules insert yet - I'm sorta hoping that you can put any card into Deep Strike, even if it can't actually be played from there. I doubt this is actually the case but it could lead to some pretty sweet bluffs, especially if you have cards in your deck that are useless anyway (cards that are only there for shields vs. Aun'shi, for instance).

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I support that! It would make running multiples of unique locations and to a lesser extent, units, more palatable as well.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

I haven't seen the rules insert yet - I'm sorta hoping that you can put any card into Deep Strike, even if it can't actually be played from there. I doubt this is actually the case but it could lead to some pretty sweet bluffs, especially if you have cards in your deck that are useless anyway (cards that are only there for shields vs. Aun'shi, for instance).

Rules insert says "deploy a card with the Deep Strike Keyword to a planet facedown for 1 resource". So no bluffing with non-DS cards.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

jadarx posted:

Rules insert says "deploy a card with the Deep Strike Keyword to a planet facedown for 1 resource". So no bluffing with non-DS cards.

Humbug. Maybe we'll see a later card that lets you do that.

As for the multiple unique locations, the new AM warlord that lets you use supports as shields seems like a good bet for that. I'm itching to try a "heavy tanks" deck with 3 STC Fragments - after all, any duplicates are two-shield cards for your tanks, so there's really much less risk involved in going hard on the unique economy supports.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 21, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That's always the problem with these mechanics: Deep Strike, Morph, Ninjitsu. Is that only the cards with the mechanic can be bluffed. In Netrunner I felt like it would have been much better to have any card be bluffed as an agenda or ice. Knowing that the card being bluffed is always one of the cards from that set was hugely limiting to the range of bluffs possible to the point where you weren't really bluffing anymore.

I can understand them not wanting to have the mechanic become a huge part of the game that dominates other aspects but Netrunner at least should have been that way.

Guess I need to go bust out my Spycraft cards and play a few games.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

That's always the problem with these mechanics: Deep Strike, Morph, Ninjitsu. Is that only the cards with the mechanic can be bluffed. In Netrunner I felt like it would have been much better to have any card be bluffed as an agenda or ice. Knowing that the card being bluffed is always one of the cards from that set was hugely limiting to the range of bluffs possible to the point where you weren't really bluffing anymore.

I can understand them not wanting to have the mechanic become a huge part of the game that dominates other aspects but Netrunner at least should have been that way.

Guess I need to go bust out my Spycraft cards and play a few games.

This was always a big part of my arguments about Netrunner not really having the huge bluffing element people made it out to have. My point was that in Mtg (or other card games), I have no idea what cards are in your hand-I have to think about what they might be based on your plays, reactions, etc. Whereas in Netrunner, when you take a card out and put it in front of a server for instance, I now know that it has to be ICE-and on top of that I can look at how many credits you have to further narrow that card down to relevant choices (if it's higher than you can afford, it's irrelevant anyways and might as well be dead when I'm deciding to run).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The new Strider attachment is nuts. Light of Valinor on steroids for secrecy decks.

Oddly enough not usable in campaign mode afaik. (edit: well, it is usable, just weird)

https://greycompanypodcast.com/2016/02/17/36-angmar-wrapup/

sassassin fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 21, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

alansmithee posted:

This was always a big part of my arguments about Netrunner not really having the huge bluffing element people made it out to have. My point was that in Mtg (or other card games), I have no idea what cards are in your hand-I have to think about what they might be based on your plays, reactions, etc. Whereas in Netrunner, when you take a card out and put it in front of a server for instance, I now know that it has to be ICE-and on top of that I can look at how many credits you have to further narrow that card down to relevant choices (if it's higher than you can afford, it's irrelevant anyways and might as well be dead when I'm deciding to run).

That's.... kind of the point? Getting an informed read on what the Corp has out there is kind of a big deal, and making it totally random would kind of suck. And what goes in the server can totally be a bluff, especially if you're running 3/2 agendas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Currently 50% at Barnes & Noble for their summer sale, in-store only. I believe that would put them at $20 each for anyone needing more core sets.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Sorry Doomtown peeps:
https://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2016/06/21/riding-off-sunset/

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

I guess the rumors about them trying to clear out all their card game stuff were true.

Where do you guys see the different LCGs in terms of popularity? Locally and from what I can tell on OCTGN/Jinteki, it looks something like:

1. Netrunner
2. Thrones
3. Conquest
4. Doomtown
5. LotR
6. Star Wars
7. Cthulhu/WH:I/whatever

That said, Netrunner and Thrones seem like they're sort of in a class of their own in terms of getting big consistent playerbases to tournaments - none of the other LCGs are really coming close there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

I guess the rumors about them trying to clear out all their card game stuff were true.

Where do you guys see the different LCGs in terms of popularity? Locally and from what I can tell on OCTGN/Jinteki, it looks something like:

1. Netrunner
2. Thrones
3. Conquest
4. Doomtown
5. LotR
6. Star Wars
7. Cthulhu/WH:I/whatever

That said, Netrunner and Thrones seem like they're sort of in a class of their own in terms of getting big consistent playerbases to tournaments - none of the other LCGs are really coming close there.

This sounds about right, although I don't know where Doomtown is and LOTR is sorta weird since there's no real local scene given its co-op nature. Didn't John Wick say AEG had the rights to 7th Sea during his 7th Sea Kickstarter?

I wonder where L5R will land.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Then X-Wing somewhere in the stratosphere with 3-4x all of those combined. :stare:

At this point I would bet it's FFG's breadwinner by that much as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
X-Wing and SW are huge sellers. The SW LCG outsells even Netrunner I believe.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PJOmega posted:

I wish the people who bought it would turn out to play it. I dropped out because it was impossible to get a game, when we have weekly Thrones and Netrunner groups that pull 12+ each.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

PJOmega posted:

The SW LCG outsells even Netrunner I believe.

Sales figures dispute that claim. For most of last year ANR had the most sales for the non collectible card market (for LCGs only)per the magazine Internal Correspondence. Last Winter Quarter, Thrones v2 outsold ANR.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PJOmega posted:

It's possible SW is selling to a bunch of casual players or IP fans that don't play the game much, but the tournaments don't seem to get very many people, none of the stores in my area have SW players at LCG nights, and I very rarely see people playing SW on OCTGN.

Conquest also sells a fair amount to 40k fans who don't otherwise play these sort of games, but my sense is that the "IP fan" people usually end up buying very little beyond the core set and any packs for armies/warlords they're particularly fond of - though I could of course be wrong.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sonatinas posted:

Sales figures dispute that claim. For most of last year ANR had the most sales for the non collectible card market (for LCGs only)per the magazine Internal Correspondence. Last Winter Quarter, Thrones v2 outsold ANR.

I stand corrected, misheard some buzz then.

I know SW is strong both in sales and their online forum, but yes there seem to be no tourney players. Not that I've touched it in awhile, it was the LCG that I played with my ex.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I'm trying to make a Necron deck, but I'm having some difficulty figuring out the best out of faction cards for it. Anyone want to drop some insights? I was thinking of using the dude who gets cards in/out of the discard pile and using it with free units, like Carnivore Pack, Kroot Hunter, Mystic Warden, etc, but I have no idea how it would actually play out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Long shot, but if anyone wants to trade a LotR playmat for one of my Thrones ones I'll pay shipping. I have these two:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Long shot, but if anyone wants to trade a LotR playmat for one of my Thrones ones I'll pay shipping. I have these two:

I have this one that I'd trade you for the Mother of Dragons mat.

I live in Taiwan but you can fold it and toss it in the USPS flat rate mailer.