Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Jacobus Spades posted:

Sounds like right now your number is receiving "mixed service", sort of a limbo between the two carriers that's supposed to be resolved during the porting process. If power cycling your devices doesn't work definitely give your carrier a call.
It was this. Spent half an hour on the phone with my old carrier. They had some manual work left to do to finish the port. All good now.

Thanks all. Now to enjoy this 6P!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well the OnePlus 3 doesn't support 2100mhz so its out as a replacement phone which is annoying because its so loving cheap compared to everything else

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't really been following it, but from a brief Googling....I don't understand why someone would buy a OnePlus3 instead of a Nexus 6P?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

£200 and the fact that it also isn't supported by my network on 3g as far as i can tell. i was looking forward to getting a new phone but it seems like its going to be a massive pain and maybe i should just get the charger fixed

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh. In the US the price difference is often less than $100 and multiple times it's been a difference of $30. No brainer to go with the 6P in either case.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jose posted:

So instead of having my phone fixed I'm thinking about just picking up the OnePlus 3 due to the price since my phone is pretty hosed anyway. I don't really know much about it other than it looks good for the cost since I don't fancy spending nearly £200 more for the nexus 6p. Any recommendations?

No. Don't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the nexus 6p will work and i can get the 32gb for only £120 more so i'm just going to get that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was everything the Charge should've been!

Nothing should ever aspire to being the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Nothing should ever aspire to being the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

It was poo poo, but it was probably still better than being a Galaxy S 1 with an LTE antenna grafted on.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't really been following it, but from a brief Googling....I don't understand why someone would buy a OnePlus3 instead of a Nexus 6P?
The 64GB Nexus 6P is $150 more and has half the RAM and the much troubled snapdragon 810.

I'm not saying these are great reasons not to get a nexus but they do combine to make a case for the OP3

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Debatable since it was OMAP based with an LTE antenna grafted on.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So this happened apparently:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#nexus_devices

How long your Nexus will get updates

After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches.

Nexus devices receive:

Android version updates
For at least two years from when the device became available on the Google Store.
Security patches
For the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Debatable since it was OMAP based with an LTE antenna grafted on.

Nah, you clearly never used a Droid Charge if you think it's debatable. This was a time when specs actually really did matter, as single core vs. dual core was a really noticeable difference, 512 mb vs 1 gb ram was huge for going from like 1.5 apps open to a handful, stock ICS was so ridiculously better than Froyo-era Touchwiz, and even pentile 1280x720 was a huge step up from 800x480. No comparison. This was a dark time of Moto Droid X2s, HTC Thunderbolts, and Droid Charges. Galaxy Nexus was easily the best Android on Verizon!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LethalGeek posted:

So this happened apparently:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#nexus_devices

How long your Nexus will get updates

After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches.

Nexus devices receive:

Android version updates
For at least two years from when the device became available on the Google Store.
Security patches
For the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device.

They said this was the policy ages ago. They're just now putting a date to each phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, you clearly never used a Droid Charge if you think it's debatable. This was a time when specs actually really did matter, as single core vs. dual core was a really noticeable difference, 512 mb vs 1 gb ram was huge for going from like 1.5 apps open to a handful, stock ICS was so ridiculously better than Froyo-era Touchwiz, and even pentile 1280x720 was a huge step up from 800x480. No comparison. This was a dark time of Moto Droid X2s, HTC Thunderbolts, and Droid Charges. Galaxy Nexus was easily the best Android on Verizon!

The Galaxy Nexus was only about 35% likely to receive a phone call. It failed at actually being a phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Galaxy Nexus was only about 35% likely to receive a phone call. It failed at actually being a phone.

Wrong. In any case, the Thunderbolt shut off after 30 minutes on battery (compared to the Galaxy Nexus getting double or even triple that amount of LTE screen on time!), and the Droid Charge was liable to freeze when you tried to use it, so it isn't like they were great telephones either. The Droid X2 I think could make phone calls and didn't have horrendous battery, but was 3G only and had the worst phone display ever made a bad display (I forgot about the Bionic at first), so making calls was about the only use it did have. Droid Bionic was the only competitor for the Galaxy Nexus, but it had the worst phone display ever made, awful 2011 MotoBlur, and like all Moto phones at the time, literally worse cameras than the Galaxy Nexus. It was all unimaginably poo poo, but the Galaxy Nexus and arguably Bionic were the least putrid.

Switching to T-Mobile and a Nexus 4 like a year and a half after the Galaxy Nexus was a huge improvement in just about every way, of course. We have it so loving good with Android phones nowadays, haha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I actually had a Droid Razr simultaneously with the Galaxy Nexus and it was a better phone in every way. Hell, even the screen was better despite being lower resolution.

I had to jump off the Galaxy Nexus because it would disconnect from the network when idle and not take phone calls. After about the 3rd time I missed escalations from work, I just had to dump the phone. It was eventually sorted out in an update, but it took like 3 months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Droid X2 had a Tegra 2 so it was obviously a god-awful phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like my GNex! I got it after using an LG Optimus V for about a year and getting royally sick of it constantly running out of storage and not downloading text messages as a result (thank god for XDA nerds and their custom ROMs that let me move poo poo to the SD card).

Never really had issues with the GNex until the battery started to go. I actually went back to it for a couple of weeks last month after I broke my Moto X. Other than it being slow and needing to live on the battery charger, it worked fine for texting and calling and checking SA until I decided on a replacement. I really missed having a tiny phone (that I though was hilariously huge when I first bought it).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm getting a Nextbit Robin tomorrow. Kind of excited to see what it's all about but I'll likely replace it for another Moto X Pure. I wish the 6P was like $75-100 cheaper.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
If you are a Canadian goon who can tolerate 2yr agreements, Costco has a good deal on right now. I got my Nexus 6P on the Bell network, 2 years of extended warranty (up to 4 replacements), they threw in a car charger, and left up $7.

With their promos, they gave me $150 in Costco gift cards (that I could use for the phone purchase) and the whole purchase and setup cost $143.

Another perk since it's through Costco, I get 50 Canada to USA calling minutes per month added to my plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats the cheapest/easiest way to pull photos off my SD card since the nexus 6p doesn't support one

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I actually had a Droid Razr simultaneously with the Galaxy Nexus and it was a better phone in every way. Hell, even the screen was better despite being lower resolution.

I had to jump off the Galaxy Nexus because it would disconnect from the network when idle and not take phone calls. After about the 3rd time I missed escalations from work, I just had to dump the phone. It was eventually sorted out in an update, but it took like 3 months.

Huh. I thought the Razr came out a year later. Ok, fair enough, the Razr Maxx was good for the time.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dza posted:

If you are a Canadian goon who can tolerate 2yr agreements, Costco has a good deal on right now. I got my Nexus 6P on the Bell network, 2 years of extended warranty (up to 4 replacements), they threw in a car charger, and left up $7.

With their promos, they gave me $150 in Costco gift cards (that I could use for the phone purchase) and the whole purchase and setup cost $143.

Another perk since it's through Costco, I get 50 Canada to USA calling minutes per month added to my plan.

Does Costco in the States sell the 6P or 5x? Cause drat.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Jose posted:

whats the cheapest/easiest way to pull photos off my SD card since the nexus 6p doesn't support one

Uh.. you copy your photos to a pc, either mounting the storage via usb, or pulling the micro sd and putting it in a reader? I guess an OTG usb cable and a usb reader would work if you somehow have no access to a computer?

Or you sync them to your google account/whatever?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Huh. I thought the Razr came out a year later. Ok, fair enough, the Razr Maxx was good for the time.

Yeah, it was a weird situation where the Razr came out less than 90 days after the Bionic. I think the Bionic kept getting delayed which led to releasing two flagships so close.

I had gotten the Bionic from Costco and was able to leverage the exchange policy to get the Razr.

Then I broke the Razr.

So I bought a Galaxy Nexus and sent the Razr off to get repaired. They ended up doing the repair for free and I jumped back on the Razr as a primary device until the bugs were sorted out with the GNex.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jose posted:

Virtually any storage app will do it:
Dropbox
OneDrive
Google Photos
Flickr
BitTorrent Sync

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sorry i guess this goes with my phone is no longer recognising a cable plugged into into hence buying the nexus 6p. i can buy a micro sd reader for a computer i was just wondering if there is a cheaper method

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah! SD card readers are really cheap, so hard to beat just buying one. Borrow one? Or a computer with one? Or plug it into a digital camera and plug that into a PC to use as a make shift reader? Give it to a friend to read it for you and move the files to a CD-ROM? I probably have a half dozen ways to read an SD card laying around the house.

You can pay for a stamp and envelope and mail it to me and I can copy your data to an encrypted Dropbox share, if you trust that I won't look at your naked selfies. :D

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if they're cheap i'll just buy one then. no worries

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Uthor posted:

Virtually any storage app will do it:
Dropbox
OneDrive
Google Photos
Flickr
BitTorrent Sync

File Commander is what I use when I don't feel like plugging my phone into my PC to get files off of it. A lot of apps do what this does, but this feels the least janky, banner ads or not.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm a long haul trucker and my iPhone is giving up the ghost, thinking of picking up a S7 active in a few days when I head home. Is there a decent dummy's guide for making the switch? I've never used android. I use a couple apps for work (scanning bills of lading and the like), which I know are available on both so I can just redownload them. Is there an easy way to get my contacts switched over? The only other thing I use the phone for is web browsing or YouTube which I assume an android would be good at since its googles os.

Also, anything to be wary off with the S7 active? It seems Samsung makes decent phones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Google has a guide.

https://www.android.com/switch/

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Good deal, thanks. That pretty much answers all my questions.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Turn off iMessage before you switch.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mem posted:

I'm a long haul trucker and my iPhone is giving up the ghost, thinking of picking up a S7 active in a few days when I head home. Is there a decent dummy's guide for making the switch? I've never used android. I use a couple apps for work (scanning bills of lading and the like), which I know are available on both so I can just redownload them. Is there an easy way to get my contacts switched over? The only other thing I use the phone for is web browsing or YouTube which I assume an android would be good at since its googles os.

Also, anything to be wary off with the S7 active? It seems Samsung makes decent phones.

The S7 comes with the Smart Switch app built in, you'll find it under backup in the settings. It lets you connect your phones to transfer or import from iCloud.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Sorry if there is a thread for this I can't find, but is there a recommended VR headset like Google Cardboard or the Viewmaster one but that has headstraps so you don't have to always hold it in place? There are lots of them on Amazon but they all seem to have fake reviews.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Wrong. In any case, the Thunderbolt shut off after 30 minutes on battery (compared to the Galaxy Nexus getting double or even triple that amount of LTE screen on time!), and the Droid Charge was liable to freeze when you tried to use it, so it isn't like they were great telephones either. The Droid X2 I think could make phone calls and didn't have horrendous battery, but was 3G only and had the worst phone display ever made a bad display (I forgot about the Bionic at first), so making calls was about the only use it did have. Droid Bionic was the only competitor for the Galaxy Nexus, but it had the worst phone display ever made, awful 2011 MotoBlur, and like all Moto phones at the time, literally worse cameras than the Galaxy Nexus. It was all unimaginably poo poo, but the Galaxy Nexus and arguably Bionic were the least putrid.

Switching to T-Mobile and a Nexus 4 like a year and a half after the Galaxy Nexus was a huge improvement in just about every way, of course. We have it so loving good with Android phones nowadays, haha.

The Thunderbolt made the Galaxy Nexus look like an absolutely faultlessly engineered device by comparison.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sorry if there is a thread for this I can't find, but is there a recommended VR headset like Google Cardboard or the Viewmaster one but that has headstraps so you don't have to always hold it in place? There are lots of them on Amazon but they all seem to have fake reviews.

I fly my Phantom using this
BlitzWolf VR Headset 3D Viewer Glasses Virtual Reality Box Movies Games Helmet Google Cardboard Upgraded Version for IOS iPhone SE 6 6s plus, Android Samsung Galaxy S5 S6 S7 Edge Note 4 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJSKIDG/

It's a tight fit for my 6 though but still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

kitten smoothie posted:

The Thunderbolt made the Galaxy Nexus look like an absolutely faultlessly engineered device by comparison.

As someone who owned both,yes.

The only way I was able to get all day battery life out of my Thunderbolt was via a 3200mah battery pack.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 22, 2016