Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

How are u posted:

I've been slowly going through the audiobooks over the last few months in preparation for the release of the new book this winter, and holy poo poo is this true. I want to listen to Cibola Burn since I haven't skipped anything else but goddamn everything the narrator does is crap. Crap voices that sound like Hannah Barbera cartoon characters is bad but the worst is his god-awful loving cadence that sounds like a bad stereotype of a native american accent from decades ago.

Ugh, total poo poo.

I ended up cranking up the audible play speed just to get through that book quicker once I found out they went back to the old narrator for the following book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Only watched the show recently, how much am I supposed to actually understand the patois of the belters? Most of the time it makes me wish they were subtitled, not to directly translate, but to just let me know the words they're saying so I can figure out the translation myself. Heck most of the characters need subtitles because everyone is mumbling or drifting off to silence when they speak and it's a bit frustrating having to rewind to the same line over and over.

Also Holden looks like a member of the Stark family, he's basically Jon Space in my mind.

Amos was cool and looks like Tyrol from BSG.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't think you're supposed to understand belter cant at all, it's used as a method to "otherise" them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I remember it sounding vaguely Afrikaans to me but I think it's just a mish mash of various languages used to portray belter society as the ultimate cultural melting pot.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NZAmoeba posted:

Only watched the show recently, how much am I supposed to actually understand the patois of the belters? Most of the time it makes me wish they were subtitled, not to directly translate, but to just let me know the words they're saying so I can figure out the translation myself. Heck most of the characters need subtitles because everyone is mumbling or drifting off to silence when they speak and it's a bit frustrating having to rewind to the same line over and over.

It depends a bit on the scene/character; some of the underclass and deep OPA are hard to understand even for outsiders who have been in the belt for years. A lot of the time, though, yeah, it's just weird sound levels on the show. I'd say a good chunk of the belter-speak we hear is foreign words you've probably come across before and could figure out from context.

Edit: I don't know how many languages are mixed in, but at a minimum, it includes Spanish, German, and Japanese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've noticed Chinese and Korean in it in the books too. A lot of the time it's pretty incomprehensible but never when it's important to understand.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I would be like a terrible tourist that tries to speak the language without knowing it.

Sa sa? Sa sa! Sa sa sa... sa

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was never totally convinced by the whole shoving random words from random languages method of constructing the language, but the different gestures to be visible while in pressure suits is great.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

I was never totally convinced by the whole shoving random words from random languages method of constructing the language

That's totally a real world phenomena though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's totally a real world phenomena though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

I know they were going for a pidgin or creole but I don't think they work the way the Belterspeak does. I'm not a linguist but from the language bits of anthropology I had to learn it doesn't follow. The only pidgin I know in detail is the Canton trade language and it's not at all similar. I could be wrong though, like I said languages aren't really my area.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I know they were going for a pidgin or creole but I don't think they work the way the Belterspeak does. I'm not a linguist but from the language bits of anthropology I had to learn it doesn't follow. The only pidgin I know in detail is the Canton trade language and it's not at all similar. I could be wrong though, like I said languages aren't really my area.

Yeah, stylistically it's cool but the whole "smash a bunch of languages together = creole" bit doesn't make much sense to me either. OTOH some nerds spend inordinate amounts of time worldbuilding so it wouldn't surprise me if Ty has a JSTOR article or two squirrelled away about similar stuff that's happened in Earth's history. I remember reading posts by some goon who posted a bunch in CC that had spent literally hundreds of hours researching arcane minutia like how weather patterns would work given certain geography*, etc for his Mars epic without ever actually writing the book.

*areography oh god I'm just as bad

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's pretty much how a creole language works.

It's a bunch of languages smashed together, usually by poor people and full of slang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have consistent grammars. Belter doesn't and doesn't make much attempt to. Which is fine, it's just a book, but it doesn't hold up if you stare at it too long.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Toast Museum posted:

Edit: I don't know how many languages are mixed in, but at a minimum, it includes Spanish, German, and Japanese.

I've also noticed Tagalog and Hindi which makes sense to me.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eupcy0lIjsk

Great video talking to the creator of the creole they use in the show. :allears:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Heads up, Leviathan Wakes is currently on sale at Audible for $4.95, and today's the last day of the sale.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda wish I read the book after watching the show instead of before. Some of the changes they make in the first 4 episodes are strange. Otherwise show is good, kinda wished some real company would've picked it up instead of a cable TV channel. You can really tell its made for TV.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's pretty drat good for low budget TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It's pretty drat good for low budget TV.

Low budget? Wasn't one of the most expensive? That seemed to be trumpeted about quite a bit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flosofl posted:

Low budget? Wasn't one of the most expensive? That seemed to be trumpeted about quite a bit.

Yeah Killjoys and Dark Matter are the cheap ones, The Expanse had budget for the sets they built. From what I recall reading, aside from windows that look out into space every interior set is a real physical room/environment, not just a few facade door openings into expansive green.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also tons of low gravity related shots that are actually expensive and tricky to do. Just more or less keeping up the consistent inconsistency of the gravity is pretty impressive

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah Killjoys and Dark Matter are the cheap ones, The Expanse had budget for the sets they built. From what I recall reading, aside from windows that look out into space every interior set is a real physical room/environment, not just a few facade door openings into expansive green.

Yeah the Martian battleship was a 5 story tall practical set

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One of the changes I really don't like so far is the mis-characterization and almost sidelining of Miller. In the book he's almost a dark storm cloud wherever he goes but in this he's like goofy. Plus it seems like they're almost completely ignoring Miller altogether in favor of the golden child Holden I guess.

I think they should've scrapped the book 2 Earth stuff and given Miller his actual role as a main character.

I'm super Salty though about one line. When he talks to that dad near the train station he says "nah no kids, missed that boat" ugh so boring. In the books he says (he's 2 1/2 years old) "I got a divorce about that age" which is an awesome line

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

One of the changes I really don't like so far is the mis-characterization and almost sidelining of Miller. In the book he's almost a dark storm cloud wherever he goes but in this he's like goofy. Plus it seems like they're almost completely ignoring Miller altogether in favor of the golden child Holden I guess.

I think they should've scrapped the book 2 Earth stuff and given Miller his actual role as a main character.

I'm super Salty though about one line. When he talks to that dad near the train station he says "nah no kids, missed that boat" ugh so boring. In the books he says (he's 2 1/2 years old) "I got a divorce about that age" which is an awesome line

Did you watch the same show? Miller's character easily has as much screen time and development as Holden and co. And I'm really not seeing the "goofy" at all. I read the books too, and while my internal image was a dumpier version and I certainly didn't imagine that hair, I think they've been pretty drat good in Miller's characterization.

Holden has undergone the biggest change and it's for the better in my opinion. Amos is the one I thought would get hosed up the worst, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good his character is.

It's an adaptation, and it's not going to be a beat by beat recreation of the books. Plots get condensed, combined or even cut. The books' authors are involved and they flat out said they changed things and tightened things up to tell the story the way they wished they had in the first couple books. They (and I) aren't saying they think the books are bad, it's just in hindsight they feel that things could and should have been changed and this was their opportunity to re-tell it in a way they thought was better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't get goofy either, really. I like show Miller more than book Miller.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I don't have a good opinion about Miller because he's had like 10 minutes of screen time across 4 episodes. Maybe the rest of the show gets it better but so far I feel like Miller has been sidelined. Also mental image aside, Miller is literally pointed out and laughed at as an alcoholic washout. I don't get boozed out loser from show Miller but Thomas Jane is killin it regardless

I feel like they've hit everything that Holden and co. have done so far but they've missed a lot of what Miller has been doing.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 22, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Oh you're only 4 episodes in.

Keep going, they changed some of the order of stuff around in the show, Miller gets a lot more screen time later in the season.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Maybe I don't have a good opinion about Miller because he's had like 10 minutes of screen time across 4 episodes. Maybe the rest of the show gets it better but so far I feel like Miller has been sidelined. Also mental image aside, Miller is literally pointed out and laughed at as an alcoholic washout. I don't get boozed out loser from show Miller but Thomas Jane is killin it regardless

I feel like they've hit everything that Holden and co. have done so far but they've missed a lot of what Miller has been doing.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were only 4 eps in. Just keep going, I'd be interested if you still feel the same way after you finish the last episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I'm enjoying what I'm watching. Its not like I'm angry that they're ruining the adaptation so much as I feel like they're missing opportunities. Like the line I referenced.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Miller, uh, definitely gets more badass moments later. Just keep watching, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

flosofl posted:

I certainly didn't imagine that hair
What were you expecting? It's been ages since I've read the books, but I'm pretty sure their hairstyles are very similar in those (shaved sides, long on top).

It's an homage to Niven's Known Space series.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I imagined Miller as a older sort of pinkerton type fellow. Probably because of the pork-pie hat.
Thomas Jane is way cooler then the Miller I imagined.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some of the changes in the show have been because they are treating it as a telling of the story as a whole, not "OK this season is book 1". There is world building and character beats thrown in that don't get hit on until later books.

The book authors are super involved with the show and the changes being made, it works well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tortolia posted:

Some of the changes in the show have been because they are treating it as a telling of the story as a whole, not "OK this season is book 1". There is world building and character beats thrown in that don't get hit on until later books.

The book authors are super involved with the show and the changes being made, it works well.

Yeah haven't they basically said they even like the show version of things better and are basically having a chance to do-over bits of their own story they wished they had done better?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

AirborneNinja posted:

I imagined Miller as a older sort of pinkerton type fellow. Probably because of the pork-pie hat.
Thomas Jane is way cooler then the Miller I imagined.

That kind of makes sense since all the policing agencies are basically Pinkertons in space.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Let's not forget The Magicians in SyFy's rogue's gallery of low-budget schlock.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I made it to Episode 8, Adam Jensen's character is cool. Amos being a loose cannon doesn't fit him in the book but I can see how since they haven't met Miller yet he's gotta fill that internal conflict role that Miller did post-Eros.

I also assume that Ep. 8 is gonna be the Eros shitshow, which I hope they don't gently caress up (they haven't been loving up very much so here's to optimism). I understand that its on TV and not like HBO/Showtime/whatever and they can't do R rated stuff (But somehow AMC can?) but they did blow Shed's head off and have the blood sphere so who knows. Maybe we'll see headless torsos crawling around and vomit zombies maybe we'll see more blue fireflies and a nondescript sphere of blue.

I kinda wish Miller would start hallucinating Julie already, but I guess its too late.

Also kinda don't like how they're making Fred some shady enemy guy. I also don't like how they made the OPA generic bad guys.

I also got a little confused on how they accelerated Holden's storyline to find the Anubis on the asteroid, without Miller.

I'll be exceptionally disappointed if they don't pull the "Mars/Earth is uninvolved, it was evil Protogen all along" twist in lieu of "Oh Mars is just the bad guy"

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 23, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't get goofy either, really. I like show Miller more than book Miller.

I actually think that's the main difference, book Miller is unlikable, he's an rear end in a top hat (although a very sympathetic one), show Miller on the other hand is very charismatic and a swell guy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really surprised they showed Julie in the bathtub as described in the book. I was sure they were gonna handle the Protomolecule completely different.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Remember that this is a TV show thread so careful with book-difference spoilers. Like "I'll be exceptionally disappointed if they don't pull the "Mars/Earth is uninvolved, it was evil Protogen all along" twist in lieu of "Oh Mars is just the bad guy"' probably not okay untagged. Especially once you get through the season finale, they end it in a weird spot where some Important Stuff hasn't gone down yet but it has in the books.

• Locked thread