Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

How badly could the Chubbs mess up? They are the only ones in this entire organization that have any idea of how a clothing factory is run.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Wait, so that guy was actually nice, remembered stuff about her (like her dog), and she's being lovely? I know everyone has their own personal most hated but god drat, I hate Luann. So smug

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shirec posted:

Wait, so that guy was actually nice, remembered stuff about her (like her dog), and she's being lovely? I know everyone has their own personal most hated but god drat, I hate Luann. So smug

That feeling when you realize you never named a character you've been using for a year or so

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Shirec posted:

On first blush it seems like they're making a deliberate effort to portray her as colossally self-absorbed (which would actually make sense for a college freshman!) but it just never seems quite aware enough, and all of the other characters' reactions are just slightly off.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

she was also a famous novelist and essayist, you loving hack

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

quote:

Mary Worth

Wilbur doesn't knock or ring the bell. He just stands right in front of the door until someone happens to open it.

I like to think that Wilbur stood in front of her door for 3 minutes trying to muster up the courage to knock and ended up just pawing while making quite "Mary . . . " mewling noises.

Oh! His shirt sort of reminds me of Wade's inner tube from US Acres. It had a face on the front that would match his expressions.

I hope Wilbur's shadow puppet shirt stick around for a few more days.

Stuccojeff fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 22, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets His Own Comic

Pearls Before Swine

Personally I think we should return to the stylistic nuances of Captain W. E. Johns. "So the Rat ejaculates 'come to the funeral.'"

The Phantom

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am going to be so disappointed in the Phantom when we ignore all these interesting plot lines (and the Himalayas one) and instead focus on the same story of the same Phantom smirking his way across the abyss of time.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Straight up eatin raw potatoes from a bowl like a gangsta

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BUBBLE BUBBLE JAMES ALLEN

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I wasn't posting MW back then, but if I remember right last time Wilbur left Mary in charge of his advice column, he went on a cruise that ended in the worst disaster since the Edmund Fitzgerald. This resulted in him doing a series about surviving disasters or something like that. Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.
That's fairly accurate -- the only thing to add is that some indeterminate Mary Worth-time after he started doing his survivor-story column (weeks, months, years, who knows?), he asked Mary to let him do his advice column again.

Probably because even the imaginary newspaper subscribers of Santa Royale didn't want to read a series of articles whose premise was "Wilbur is in mortal peril, but somehow survives." Who needs to see that kind of bad news every week? Anyway, Mary was fine with it, because she needed a break from writing the advice column so that she could gently caress off to New York City to see the weird little girl whose parents are too busy having sex to care about what a precious magical angel she is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I still can't believe the New York story with the psychic child had zero payoff.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen

ukonvasara posted:

Your post reminded me of something.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Wait but last strip she was telling him not to be all nerdy in front of her dad. She's going to get back at her dad by convincing Skip to act in a way that her dad would approve of...? What?

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

I know we're all used to comic artists injecting their fetishes into the funny pages, but this is shockingly transparent.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

ukonvasara posted:

I've only read one story from George Sand. It was called A Boy And a Bumblebee or something like that. Got it as a birthday present when I was little and I remember reading it and while I didn't particularly care for it, it stuck with me in some way. It had a sense of epicness and pretty dark tones. Somewhat like the old Grimm's tales.

I dug it up recently and read it again and while it was way shorter than I remembered, it was pretty good. Sort of reminded me of the Lost Children arc in Berserk in some ways.

What I'm saying is George Sand was a pretty cool lady and Mceldowney can go choke on a bag of dicks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Aardmania posted:

:golfclap:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Personally I think we should return to the stylistic nuances of Captain W. E. Johns. "So the Rat ejaculates 'come to the funeral.'"

Damned if I can find it, but there was a Peanuts strip from the 60s or 70s with Lucy complaining about this exact thing. It was in a collection I had where the kids were learning the metric system, for dating reference.

Plus ça change...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

Damned if I can find it, but there was a Peanuts strip from the 60s or 70s with Lucy complaining about this exact thing. It was in a collection I had where the kids were learning the metric system, for dating reference.

Plus ça change...

December 26, 1977.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Aardmania posted:

:love:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 23-24, 1929)

Crosby did the most interesting poses for Skippy's mom.

Peanuts, Starring A Beagle In Exile (June 25, 1969)

The Mason Jarre Experience (Otherwise Known As "Funky Winkerbean")

In case you're just joining us, the entire week is about a silent E.

Crankshaft

(based on a joke by Steven Wright which somehow turned into genuine gardening advice because people are freaks)

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 14-15, 1929)

Thimble Theater (January 9, 1930)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Aardmania posted:

:perfect:

Selachian posted:

December 26, 1977.

Luckily we'll be spared the 2055 rehash because there's no way newspaper comics will still be around by then.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Like a Caged Animal Comix

Pooch Café

Go back to the reruns.

Ballard Street

Golf joke! Golf observation? Portrait of the artist's feelings about golf.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 30, 1951)

Barnaby (November 4, 1942)

Nancy (July 14, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 27, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 25, 1923)

Barney Google (April 12, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 9, 1936)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Prime edit material right here.

Is someone else coughing while he's stretching his legs? Pretty nonsensical, but then again what do you expect out of a traced / clipart strip.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 22, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Kind of tempted to post this one in Cinema Discusso to see them tear it apart.

Ripley's

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Worry not, Scott Adams, there's nothing secret about your agendas.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Odonata posted:

Under the original cartoonist Rose is Rose regularly featured a fat fetish- the red nosed husband fantasizes about his wife as a 350 pound monstrosity and tries to get her to eat more. Now the strip is under new management and we have a de-aging fetish (which I'm sure has a proper name and weird pervert followers, and hell no I'm not looking it up).

Pretty sure it's called paedophilia.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

They sure do if they're roadside!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Odonata posted:

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

There's a lot that's vaguely unappealing about the art in this strip, but the type of smug face you see in panel 4 there is really the absolute worst.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

And Wilbur finally, clumsily makes his move.

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure the Morgans will appreciate that money.

Secret Agent X-9

In the first panel it sure looks to me like they're doing more than plotting. :raise:

Apartment 3-G

You know where she used to work, you know her boss there, you know a lot more than you are letting on here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is pound wise and penny foolish.

Working Daze rewards mediocrity.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix wants you to get off its lawn.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

no idea.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (click for big)

no idea.

He's gonna kill the TV because of soap commercials.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five gives us the last days of a loudmouth. (January 31-February 2, 1955)

Charlotte Braun never returned home. :smith:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Odonata posted:

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

I'm having a really lovely evening and this just made me smile. I love everything about it. Cul De Sac was one hell of a strip. Bless you, Richard Thompson.

Luann

I'm sure those who were concerned that the Jock's repeated requests for Luann's affections may border on harassment will be relieved to know that Luann was actually enjoying his attention the whole time and was intentionally stringing him along because she's a big 'ol tease. Women, right?

Something tells me we're about to have to watch a talent show.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, golly, I wonder if the repeated zaps may end up releasing Nightmare from his stony prison.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

EasyEW posted:

Charlotte Braun never returned home. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Next week's strips will show Hank installing the court-mandated safety equipment on those sewing machines.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

• Locked thread