Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is something wrong with achievements? I just completed Revenge of Montezuma, Ironman game, no mods, but no achievement.

Edit:
Nevermind, triggered when I loaded another game and went back to the Mexico save.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried doing the Trotsky thing but instead fought that civil war with the opposition at max strength. At least Germany didn't backstab me, I got a lot of XP, and it unlocked the rest of the purge chain, so 5 research slots here I come!

Also I read somewhere that Trotsky gives your country -40% production, what the gently caress?

How do I spend Air XP, by the way?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried doing the Trotsky thing but instead fought that civil war with the opposition at max strength. At least Germany didn't backstab me, I got a lot of XP, and it unlocked the rest of the purge chain, so 5 research slots here I come!

Also I read somewhere that Trotsky gives your country -40% production, what the gently caress?

How do I spend Air XP, by the way?

Making new airplane designs, same way you spend naval XP.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

How does playing as a puppet start, specifically thinking of India? Does going fascist/communist break you off from the UK?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

How are people feeling about the Variant systems for tanks/planes/ships?

So far, I'm not really loving it. I don't particularly like the tendency for one bonus to enact a penalty on another part of the vehicle. While it's realistic, it feels like I'm paying to not actually make real net improvements, and if feels like by the time I'm actually getting the variant out into the field I'm ramping up production on a new model anyways.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Apparently the air combat system is broke and having more wings than your opponent is more important than having more planes.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/test-results-of-use-of-fighters-on-air-superiority-interception.950958/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Apparently the air combat system is broke and having more wings than your opponent is more important than having more planes.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/test-results-of-use-of-fighters-on-air-superiority-interception.950958/

Yet another argument for standardizing the size of air wings into known divisions.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it possible to mod the game to get the faux-Cyrillic again in the country names? That was one of the best features of HOI 3

That was ugly as hell and stupid.

What's wrong with you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Only a bourgeoisie pig drowning in false consciousness would worry about their own countries production when there are proletariat around the world that need to be liberated by The Revolution.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
According to some threads on the Paradox forums you never get Trotsky, even if you don't do the purges, due to some bugs in the event code.

Kinda funny that a bug causes a more realistic outcome than originally intended.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

How are people feeling about the Variant systems for tanks/planes/ships?

So far, I'm not really loving it. I don't particularly like the tendency for one bonus to enact a penalty on another part of the vehicle. While it's realistic, it feels like I'm paying to not actually make real net improvements, and if feels like by the time I'm actually getting the variant out into the field I'm ramping up production on a new model anyways.

Yeah, its a good idea that kinda doesn't really work out like they envisioned.

I think the devs planned to have variants in place so you can continuously upgrade your forces with better equipment without having to occupy a research slot for 5 months. So you design a tank with a better gun, push it out, see that the other side has gotten a tank with a good gun and push out a new variant that has better armor, and then you finally push out a third version with a stat increase across the board as a stopgap while you ramp up production of the next model.

In reality you have a ton of XP banked anyway and push out a single improved model. The production system (very realistically) punishes small incremental upgrades, so it's better to have blocks of large upgrades. The AI, naturally, doesn't know this and happily burns its XP making dozens of variants, all of which are produced in numbers of perhaps a few hundred, split across its entire force and don't really make a dent.

It doesn't help that there are upgrades that are simple nobrainers. Fighters need engines 5 for max agility, followed by range and reliability. Guns come in a distant fourth. Same with tanks - gun upgrades, reliability, the rest is optional. SPART gets full gun upgrades and that's it. Thre is little choice there, and very little meaning. Maybe its different for smaller countries.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Anyone ever seen the AI do this ? Usually it tries to play it safe and is aware of flank protection, never saw it try a narrow push over a 1000 km front so far. And it did the same from the Japanese side.

http://imgur.com/a/e9FFl

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
I've seen spaghetti fronts like that. Quite annoying, what is this? Vietnam?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Hammerstein posted:

Anyone ever seen the AI do this ? Usually it tries to play it safe and is aware of flank protection, never saw it try a narrow push over a 1000 km front so far. And it did the same from the Japanese side.

Yup, as I play more I'm finding myself rely less on the AI and just manually do it, the AI makes strange choices about where and when to attack.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

R. Mute posted:

If there's one lesson I've learnt so far, it's to never ally with a historical Axis nation.

Ain't this the truth. I'm desperately running three lines of fighters flat out to try and achieve victory in the "last to zero fighters at the end of the first week's mayhem over Western Germany wins the air war forever" minigame and suddenly I get a message saying "Italy/Bulgaria/Hungary is justifying war against Greece/Romania like a big sociopath so welcome to World War 2 in a few weeks."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

When they have strong armor, mechanized units, they try to punch through the enemy lines and encircle them or cut off supply lines.

But because the Soviet Union is so enormous, when they try it they have to go really, really far. What the AI is doing is the same as what it does against any other country, except with any other country once you manage this kind of breakthrough it doesn't take long to wrap around and encircle their frontlines. But nobody told the AI that it doesn't work against the Soviets because you end up having to drive thousands of miles through areas with garbage infrastructure.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Hammerstein posted:

I grudgingly let the Estonians into my murderous fascist club once and as soon as I went to war with the Soviets they just took a compass bearing for Archangelsk, shut their eyes, pressed the accelerator and left all that tedious flank protection stuff to my forces. Unbeknownst to me, my army group north did, in fact, form a 15-province line and only the incredible incompetence of the AI stopped me losing 20 or so divisions and starring in a History Channel series called "History's Most Embarrassing Encirclements."

cock hero flux posted:

When they have strong armor, mechanized units, they try to punch through the enemy lines and encircle them or cut off supply lines.

But because the Soviet Union is so enormous, when they try it they have to go really, really far. What the AI is doing is the same as what it does against any other country, except with any other country once you manage this kind of breakthrough it doesn't take long to wrap around and encircle their frontlines. But nobody told the AI that it doesn't work against the Soviets because you end up having to drive thousands of miles through areas with garbage infrastructure.

I don't think that they're trying to do an encirclement. I'm not hugely convinced that the AI ever pro-actively tries to create those. I think that Archangelsk in particular is weighted in a fashion that is very attractive to the AI, although you very occasionally see it elsewhere.

Endie fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 22, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

slavatuvs posted:

That was ugly as hell and stupid.

What's wrong with you.

While I thought the font for the Axis faction was too ornate and difficult to read, I thought it was cool doing this as the Soviet Union, painting the world under your ideology, and seeing their name change before your eyes as you brought Communism to them. It really made SOVIET UNION pop out and be outstanding.

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
Faux Cyrillic makes Cyrillic readers' eyes bleed.

Needs to be modded in. No question.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Instead of Cyrillic, just do it in a blocky font like they used in Defcon:

For the Axis, instead of using the weird Microsoft default Old English font, Fraktur would be cool and appropriate but generally unreadable for most people.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Endie posted:

I don't think that they're trying to do an encirclement. I'm not hugely convinced that the AI ever pro-actively tries to create those. I think that Archangelsk in particular is weighted in a fashion that is very attractive to the AI, although you very occasionally see it elsewhere.

I think they do go for encirclements, but only when an easy opportunity arises. Like if they only have to take one province to cut off a couple more, they give more weight to attacking it. I've seen them suddenly attack those kinds of provinces as soon as they were cut off from all other sides enough times to think there's a definite trend there.

I don't think them delving deep into enemy territory in a one-province-wide line is an actual attempt at encirclement, something probably just broke in their logic and they're acting irrationally.

az
Dec 2, 2005

That air wing bug explains perfectly why I kept taking higher losses in massive air battles despite having better planes. Please give us a system that's more like the naval or land combat system paradox.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

az posted:

That air wing bug explains perfectly why I kept taking higher losses in massive air battles despite having better planes. Please give us a system that's more like the naval or land combat system paradox.

What air wing bug?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

What air wing bug?

Stairmaster posted:

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
The air interface needs improvement, also the 'air war' system is not much fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh wow. I knew I was getting better results using wings of 100, I just didn't know why.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

You can use the fallback line order along the coasts for a similar effect if you want a solid line of troops or use the garrison order if you want them to focus on holding ports and cities.

I've never ever been able to get Fallback lines to work. How are you supposed to use them?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Draw line, assign division to it and they'll spread out along the line and chill.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

JerikTelorian posted:

I've never ever been able to get Fallback lines to work. How are you supposed to use them?

You just draw the line and assign troops to it like you would any order by selecting the troops then ctrl+clicking the line on the map.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

JerikTelorian posted:

They are just an order line similar to a front line which isn't bound by the restriction of being on your border and it doesn't move dynamically if your territory expands from where they are. So you can put them in advantageous positions like on a river or on a mountain range to use as an organized defensive position. You need to assign divisions to them yourself when you want to use them. I don't think you can have an offensive line begin from a fallback line but I might be wrong, I didn't double check. An example of using one might be putting one along your coastline if you don't want to have any gaps at all, or maybe putting one on the Maginot line with a minimal number of divisions assigned there and then having your main frontline elsewhere, or if your actual border with an opposing nation doesn't have ideal defensive positions and you'd rather just abandon a few border provinces in return for having better terrain.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the idea is that you can order units to fall back and begin entrenchment in strong defensive positions instead of being pushed back there gradually and then having no entrenchment and low org.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nessin posted:

Is something wrong with achievements? I just completed Revenge of Montezuma, Ironman game, no mods, but no achievement.

Edit:
Nevermind, triggered when I loaded another game and went back to the Mexico save.

Can you tell me how exactly you accomplished this? When did you attack the US, and did you conquer other countries first to build up your industrial base? Doctrine/division/air choices?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I've been playing as Germany and for some reason Italy has completely hulked up with 190 divisions by '41 and has completely biltzkrieg'd Greece and France more or less on it's own. What the gently caress is going on?

They had also taken just under a million casualties by the time we'd polished off Western Europe.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 22, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
State/province ownership update:

Europe in 1920. Circassia is in a flashpoint position, and current plan is to have it be a Austria/Czechslovakia/Danzig situation; one that can cause war if Russia wants to push it. Thinking that for an eventual Circassia national focus tree, they'll have options involving alignment with Russia in exchange for protection or seeking guarantees from Anatolia and/or the Allied powers in exchange for democratic reform (the 'historical' option, seeing as the ruler of Circassia is a D'Arago of the Castilian and British royal family). Planned, but not yet implemented, is to have Poland in a mild civil war at the 1920 start between the Communist government and Democratic revolutionaries. The way that Poland flips could end up affecting the balance of Europe in favour of the Democracies or Communists. Notice also Castile and Catalonia - Castile is ruled by a D'Arago monarch (as with Britain and Circassia) but at the moment is Neutral alignment. Castile will have to find volunteers if they can triumph over the Burgundy-supported Catalonia to reunite Espanya. Either way, war between the two to settle the score can't be far away.

North America. Borealia has (will have) a powerful army, but is rather agrarian so it won't necessarily have the industrial capacity to sustain it without buildup. As was speculated in the original thread, current plan is have a possible (albeit unlikely) union between Cherokee and the Kingdom of America - it'll fix up those borders if nothing else. Yesterday I tried to assign the Michigan Upper Peninsula to Wisconson, which broke something to do with the buildings, but I'll get around to that eventually. Borealia and Mexico are Democratic (Borealia has a not-insignificant communist presence), KOA and Cherokee are neutrality at the moment.

South America - ethnically, a mix of Dutch, Portugese, Espanyan and Italian nations, and politically a mix of Kingdoms, Republics, and Republican Dictatorship. There's a bunch of possibilities with how South America can go with this mix.

Still have to finish creating some minor states for Africa, and will probably end up rearranging some states to fit the colonial boundaries better (not that it's important). Then I need to do what remains of the Asian countries and then I can move on to the fun work of state industry/cities/manpower/ports etc etc, while also doing some politics fleshing out. After I tool around a bit, I can start thinking about events and national focuses too. There's still a way to go, but there's something satisfying about looking at a nearly-completed map.

Anatolia in 1920 has a century's worth of democratic tradition, but fascist and nationalist influence threatens the security of the republic (thinking the extremist parties will have some sort of influence bonus here).

(National Spirits haven't been completed, so those are default at the moment). Some of you may recognise (especially) the current leaders of Russia and Catalonia. Doesn't Mr. Not-Dali just look like a handsome young revolutionary :swoon: the leader of Russia, too, has an expression worthy of a demagogue. The photo for Italy's leader is Dino Grandi, an IRL Italian fascist politician of the 20s to 40s. His thuggish, yet restrained, expression in that particular portrait strikes me as the sort of man who knows he's about to change history.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 22, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Is there a console command that allows me to declare war on whoever I want? I'm pretty deep into this game and still have no idea how warscore or tension works, I just want to cheat and invade everyone.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
From my very limited experience it seems that the easiest way to do whatever is to play as a fascist or communist nation, those allow you to fabricate claims regardless of the tension level. Once the claim finishes you can then declare war.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is there a console command that allows me to declare war on whoever I want? I'm pretty deep into this game and still have no idea how warscore or tension works, I just want to cheat and invade everyone.

instantwargoal I think.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

prussian advisor posted:

Can you tell me how exactly you accomplished this? When did you attack the US, and did you conquer other countries first to build up your industrial base? Doctrine/division/air choices?

I'm not who you quoted, but I did pull this off on regular, no ironman.

The big trick to it is that the US is very weak early game. Don't attack other countries - beeline straight for the US before they can get organized and remove their many penalties. I spent my first 150pp on getting the land XP theorist, and the next 150pp on the fascist advisor. For national focus, I went down the tree for the extra research and factories, then went down the fascist tree. More or less as soon as I turned fascist, I started justifying on the US. I think the war started in late '38.

As far as armies go, you don't have the research or the resources for anything other than ground troops. You don't even have the resources for tanks. Just get lots of dudes with artillery, and you'll be fine. I went down the superior firepower doctrine, and loaded up my troops with artillery and anti-air guns. Yeah, anti-air guns suck, but when you have absolutely no chance of building up an air force, it will eventually discourage the US from using planes against you. Plus, anti-air guns are incredibly cheap and just require steel. I didn't even get support equipment researched until I was 3/4 of the way through getting the US to capitulate. My divisions were 6x infantry, 2x anti-air, and 2x arty. Hill troops would have been nice to have, but again, the crippling lack of research, factories, and resources means you just don't really have the option to branch out to them. It gets better as you capture factories from the US, but they primarily have loads of civilian factories, so you'll have to either convert them or build new military factories.

Edit: As much as it might seem like conquering other countries first would help, remember that lots of penalties for the US (like Undisturbed Isolation) are gated behind world tension to remove. Driving up the tension early lets them remove their penalties early, and those are the only thing that will let you compete in the very early game. Once you've taken some of their industrial base, the playing field levels off a bit, and you can start branching out. At that point though, you've basically won the war even if the war takes another couple of years to fully resolve.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 22, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Narrator posted:

State/province ownership update:

Europe in 1920. Circassia is in a flashpoint position, and current plan is to have it be a Austria/Czechslovakia/Danzig situation; one that can cause war if Russia wants to push it. Thinking that for an eventual Circassia national focus tree, they'll have options involving alignment with Russia in exchange for protection or seeking guarantees from Anatolia and/or the Allied powers in exchange for democratic reform (the 'historical' option, seeing as the ruler of Circassia is a D'Arago of the Castilian and British royal family). Planned, but not yet implemented, is to have Poland in a mild civil war at the 1920 start between the Communist government and Democratic revolutionaries. The way that Poland flips could end up affecting the balance of Europe in favour of the Democracies or Communists. Notice also Castile and Catalonia - Castile is ruled by a D'Arago monarch (as with Britain and Circassia) but at the moment is Neutral alignment. Castile will have to find volunteers if they can triumph over the Burgundy-supported Catalonia to reunite Espanya. Either way, war between the two to settle the score can't be far away.

North America. Borealia has (will have) a powerful army, but is rather agrarian so it won't necessarily have the industrial capacity to sustain it without buildup. As was speculated in the original thread, current plan is have a possible (albeit unlikely) union between Cherokee and the Kingdom of America - it'll fix up those borders if nothing else. Yesterday I tried to assign the Michigan Upper Peninsula to Wisconson, which broke something to do with the buildings, but I'll get around to that eventually. Borealia and Mexico are Democratic (Borealia has a not-insignificant communist presence), KOA and Cherokee are neutrality at the moment.

South America - ethnically, a mix of Dutch, Portugese, Espanyan and Italian nations, and politically a mix of Kingdoms, Republics, and Republican Dictatorship. There's a bunch of possibilities with how South America can go with this mix.

Still have to finish creating some minor states for Africa, and will probably end up rearranging some states to fit the colonial boundaries better (not that it's important). Then I need to do what remains of the Asian countries and then I can move on to the fun work of state industry/cities/manpower/ports etc etc, while also doing some politics fleshing out. After I tool around a bit, I can start thinking about events and national focuses too. There's still a way to go, but there's something satisfying about looking at a nearly-completed map.

Anatolia in 1920 has a century's worth of democratic tradition, but fascist and nationalist influence threatens the security of the republic (thinking the extremist parties will have some sort of influence bonus here).

(National Spirits haven't been completed, so those are default at the moment). Some of you may recognise (especially) the current leaders of Russia and Catalonia. Doesn't Mr. Not-Dali just look like a handsome young revolutionary :swoon: the leader of Russia, too, has an expression worthy of a demagogue. The photo for Italy's leader is Dino Grandi, an IRL Italian fascist politician of the 20s to 40s. His thuggish, yet restrained, expression in that particular portrait strikes me as the sort of man who knows he's about to change history.

Is there an original post on this summarizing what this is? Looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is there an original post on this summarizing what this is? Looks interesting.

Only one of the more legendary Paradox mega-campaigns SA has had. Also written by Wiz, who now works for Paradox, and whose experience modding the games probably gave him a boost when it came to interviewing for a position with the company.

This is tempting me to play around with a Hohenzollern or Jerusalem mod.